In most cases, your dog is your friendly pet and companion. However, sometimes even the most docile pets can exhibit undesirable behavior such as charging at unsuspecting strangers, chewing the furniture or household items, invading the trash cans, or destroying the garden. A dog repellent spray or pet corrector is one product that can help in deterring a canine from repeating these unwanted behaviors.
But which are the best dog repellent sprays to deter canines from repeating unwanted behavior? Are there any pet deterrents that can also protect you and your dog from an attacking canine?
In this article, we will look at answering specifically the above questions and share some of the best dog repellent sprays available in the market for indoor and outdoor use. We will list both pet repellents for disciplining your own dog as well as deterrents for protection against unfriendly canines.
We will also discuss the major factors to keep in mind before picking the best dog repellent sprays for your needs and share our top picks. So, buckle up and read on!
Also, check out our articles on the best cat deterrent sprays and best cat repellents if you are looking for some deterrents for your dog’s mischievous feline friends. Some of the options that we listed there also work equally well for dogs.
Best dog repellent sprays listSome of the most effective and best dog repellent sprays and deterrents for indoor and outdoor use are listed below:
|PetSafe SSSCAT Pet Deterrent Spray||3.89 fl.oz. – 80-100 sprays.|
Noise and liquid spray.
Stainless and odorless.
Contains human-safe chemicals.
Requires 4 AAA-batteries.
|Halt! Dog Repellent Spray||1.5 fl.oz. – 25 sprays.|
Contains Capsaicin and Inert base ingredients.
10-12 feet range.
|The Company of Animals Pet Corrector||1.7 fl.oz. – 50 sprays.|
Noise and air spray.
Stainless and odorless.
Contains pressurized hydrocarbon gases.
|Sentry Stop That! for Dogs Behavior Correction Spray||1 fl.oz.|
Noise and pheromone spray.
Contains human-safe chemical ingredients.
Lavender chamomile smell.
|Grannicks Bitter Apple Taste Deterrent For Dogs||8/32 fl.oz.|
Taste deterrent spray.
Contains natural bitter extracts and Isopropanol.
Mild alcohol smell.
|Bodhi Dog Bitter Lemon Repellent Spray||4/8/17 fl.oz.|
Taste deterrent spray.
Contains natural bitter extracts and Isopropanol.
Natural citrus smell.
|Emmy's Best Pro Anti-Chew Spray for Dogs||4/8/17 fl.oz.|
Taste deterrent spray.
Contains natural bitter extracts. No alcohol.
Mild citrus smell.
|Sabre Dog Deterrent Spray||0.75 fl.oz. – 14 sprays.|
Contains Capsaicin and Inert base.
12 feet range.
|PetSafe SprayShield Animal Deterrent||3.2 fl.oz. – 12-15 sprays.|
Citronella deterrent spray.
Contains Citronella and Inert base.
10 feet range.
Natural citrus smell.
|Safety-Sport Dog Horn XL||1.8 fl.oz. – 150-200 blasts.|
2 sound levels – max. 120 dB blasts.
50 feet range.
Contains compressed air.
What are dog repellent sprays and how can they be useful?
Most of the times, your dog is your best friend. But there are instances when you may need to discipline your dog or puppy to prevent him/her from creating havoc around the house or during outdoor activities. You may need to not only discipline your own dog but also protect youself and your pet from a charging canine during outdoor excursions such as walking or jogging.
One way you can deter the dog from repeating such undesirable behavior and prevent causing any harm is to use an effective canine deterrent solution such as a spray, an ultrasonic device, or a protector sheet. In this article, we focus specifically on one of these options – the dog repellent sprays.
Some of the most common unwanted activities for which these dog repellent sprays can be useful are:
- Chewing the carpets, sofas, wooden furniture and items such as shoes and bags.
- Jumping or rushing on unsuspecting guests and strangers.
- Destroying indoor house plants or digging in the gardens.
- Invading trash cans or exploring restricted areas such as baby or kids’ rooms, car garage, etc.
- Attacking other pets and rushing at strangers during outdoor walks.
In simple terms, dog repellent sprays are specially-formulated sprays that can be used to discourage pets from repeating unwanted behaviors and activities. These sprays work on the principles of negative reinforcement and generally rely on special odors, pheromones and/or combination of noises, irritants and air draft that humans can tolerate but the canines dislike.
Some dog repellents are odorless while others have a distinctive smell. These repellents can be used by targeting them towards the dogs or applying on affected surfaces. (The term dog deterrents and repellents are often used interchangeably. Scientifically, repellents are chemical-based products that rely on irritation, smell or taste. Deterrents are electro-mechanical products that rely on sound or touch).
There are two broad types of dog repellent sprays:
- Repellents and training aid sprays that you can use to discipline your own pet.
- Repellents and deterrent sprays that can be used to protect you and your pet from an attacking aggressive dog.
It is important to keep in mind that the dog repellents sprays that we have listed are not meant to be sprayed directly on the canine’s face and eyes, unless explicitly specified so or unless you have an emergency situation. Moreover, some repellent sprays may not be suitable for use on special household surfaces such as leather, vinyl finishing, wooden varnishes etc.
Finally, because of their genetic traits, some deterrents may not be as effective on certain canines as on others. So, keep all these things in mind before picking a specific dog repellent spray for your needs. You might have to switch between a few options before zeroing in on what works for your pet(s).
Despite all the limitations and considerations, dog repellent sprays are still an effective option to restrict undesired activities and behavior in canines.
In the next section, we will list some of the best dog repellent sprays available in the market. We would also cover the main factors to consider before picking the best dog repellent spray for your needs and some alternative products that you can try out to prevent your dog or puppy from turning into a “doggo from hell!”.
Which are the best dog repellent sprays for indoor and outdoor use?
Ingredients: Ozone-safe compressed Trans-1,3,3,3-Tetrafluoropropene gas with the common aerosol spray products.
- 3.89 fl. oz. – 80 – 100 sprays.
- Stainless and odorless.
- Requires 4 AAA-batteries (not included).
- Best-selling, motion-activated pet deterrent spray that relies on an automatic spray blast to deter the pets from restricted areas. Made in China under the Tennessee, US-based company’s quality control measures.
- Features a 3.9 fl. oz. spray-can with a concoction of compressed Trans-1,3,3,3-Tetrafluoropropene gas with the common aerosol spray products. Zero Ozone Depletion formulation.
- Relies on 4-AAA batteries (not included) that powers the spray nozzle to release a spray blast up to 3.2 feet long. The nozzle is adjustable to 3 vertical positions. One can produces 80-100 sprays.
- Equipped with an adjustable motion sensor that can detect heat-dependent movement from up to 3 feet away.
- Stainless and odorless contents suitable for almost all indoor items – drapes, blinds, countertops, trash cans, and furniture. Works for both dogs and cats.
- Backed by a lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects. Refill cans are also sold separately.
Since 1991, PetSafe has been an established brand with many game-changing and innovative pet products. The best-selling PetSafe SSSCAT Pet Deterrent Spray is one of the most successful and effective dog repellent sprays in the market and also our favorite pick for indoor dog deterrence.
The PetSafe SSSCAT Pet Deterrent Spray features a unique motion-activated design that relies on an automatic spray blast to deter the pets from restricted areas. The spray bottle has 3.89 fl. oz. of compressed Trans-1,3,3,3-Tetrafluoropropene gas with the common aerosol spray products, which emit a blast of stainless and odorless HFO-1234ze gas. This is the same gas as used in compressed air cans and is environmentally friendly with zero ozone depletion. The system is made in China under the US-based company’s strict quality control measures.
The PetSafe SSSCAT automated pet deterrent relies on a temperature-based motion sensor to automatically detect the presence of a pet nearby. The motion sensor has a range of 3 feet and can be adjusted to five horizontal settings and even turned off.
We found the sensor very reliable and hardly ever it missed out catching the movement of a warm body nearby (It even triggered once on our expert – a slight drawback of the system). The SSSCAT system has a delay of 2 minutes at start and 30 – 40 seconds between sprays.
The deterrent system runs on 4-AAA batteries (not included) which are housed in a casing on the top portion of the spray. The batteries can last for anywhere between 2 to 3 months depending upon the number of activations.
The spray nozzle is capable of generating a blast up to 3.2 feet long. The spray blast is totally safe for indoor use and dissipates quickly. But the sudden blast is enough to startle a pet, thereby discouraging movement in restricted areas (see the video below).
The deterrent spray is quite effective and works on most household items and surfaces – drapes, blinds, countertops, trash cans, furniture, and kids’ rooms. Just make sure you keep the spray away from high- temperature appliances (when in use) such as cooktops, microwaves, etc. The deterrent spray works on both dogs and cats and some other indoor pets such as rabbits, cavies and ferrets.
The PetSafe SSSCAT Pet Deterrent Spray is backed by a lifetime warranty against manufacturing defect – a testament to the superior quality of the sensor and nozzle system. The refill cans are sold separately, though most users have reported that a single can is enough to reinforce deterrence in the pet.
Ingredients: 0.35% Capsaicin and related Capsaicinoids with 99.65% Inert Ingredients.
- 1.5 fl.oz. – 25 sprays. 10-12 feet range.
- Pepper spray contains 0.35% Capsaicin active ingredient
- 9”, 3 oz. can.
- Best-selling, safe and effective dog repellent pepper spray to deter charging dogs. Made in the USA and used by the US Postal Service since 1966. Not for sale in California.
- Level-I deterrent with 0.35% major Capsaicinoids with 99.65% Inert base – the most humane and effective dog deterrent. No long-term harmful effects on the pet and no blow-back to the sprayer.
- Patented design with a combination of belt-clip and trigger-cap in a single unit attached to the can. Features a handy finger-depression that slides the finger into position for a precise discharge.
- Designed to generate spray up to 10-12 feet with a spray to the dog’s eyes and nose and cause an intense but temporary sensation of heat and discomfort.
- Available is a small 1.5 fl.oz. can that weighs only 4 ounces. Can generate up to 25 one-second burst sprays.
- Has a shelf life of 4 years. Backed by a satisfaction guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer. A stronger, Level-II Halt II deterrent spray is also available.
The best-selling Halt! and Halt II dog repellent sprays have been the go-to dog attack deterrent solutions for delivery persons, bicyclists, and trainers for years and there is a good reason for that. Of the two, the milder Halt! dog repellent spray is our favorite personal protector repellent spray. It is made in the US and used by the US Postal Service since 1966.
The Halt! dog repellent spray is the most humane and effective Level-I dog deterrent spray in the market. The deterrent is formulated with 0.35% Capsaicinoids as the active ingredient and 99.65% inert ingredients. The formulation has a shelf-life of four years.
Capsaicin, a naturally occurring extract of peppers, is an effective deterrent which when sprayed in a dog’s face, causes temporary but extreme discomfort and deters the pet from harming you or your accompanying pet. In most cases, the effect can last for up to 20-45 minutes.
Since the deterrent has a concentration of 0.35% Capsaicin, as opposed to the 1% in Halt II and Sabre Dog Repellents, it is milder but is still reasonably effective. There are no long-term harmful effects on the pet. A single spray would work for most charging pets, though for extra-large and over-aggressive dogs, you may sometimes be forced to use more than one sprays.
One of the best features of the Halt dog repellent spray is the design of the canister. The patented canister design features a two-in-one plastic attachment with the belt-clip and trigger-cap. The trigger-cap has a handy finger-recess that allows the sprayer to slide the finger into position for a precise discharge without any blow-backs. And since the belt-clip is securely attached to the can, there are no chances of losing the can because of an unglued belt-clip. The can is 4.9″ long and weighs around 4 ounces.
The Halt dog repellent spray is designed to spray up to 10-12 feet. Each can has a net weight of 1.5 fl.oz. and can generate up to 20-25 one-second spray bursts. Unlike other pepper spray cans which have a failure rate of over 20%, the Halt dog repellent spray cans are thoroughly tested for reliable operation. Still, if you experience missed discharges or leaking, you can reach out to the manufacturer to send you a replacement free of cost.
Ingredients: Compressed, standard aerosol hydrocarbon gases (HFC 134a). Stored under pressure.
- 1.7 fl.oz. (50 ml.) – up to 50 sprays.
- Noise and air spray. Contains pressurized hydrocarbon gases
- Stainless and odorless.
Price: $ to $$$ depending upon the size.
- Best-selling dog training spray that works by making a hissing sound to get the canine’s attention and interrupt unwanted activities. Made in the UK.
- Patented product with a compressed HFC 134a hydrocarbon gas filled in a can. Works with dogs, cats, horses and many other animals.
- Capable of producing a broad spectrum of sound (white noise) – varying from a low-frequency rumble to a high-frequency hiss over an effective range of over 50 feet.
- Not recommended for use with puppies and should never be pointed directly at a pet, or other humans. Also should not be applied on surfaces.
- Backed by 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment throughout the product’s lifetime. Also available in a smaller, 30 ml and larger, 200 ml. sized can. A carrying holster is also sold separately.
Ingredients: 0.1-1% Canine Pheromone, and 99% Inert Ingredients, stored under pressure.
- 1 fl. oz. – 40-50 spray bursts.
- Noise and Pheromone Spray.
- Lavender chamomile smell.
- Popular behavior correction spray that relies on attention-grabbing noise and a pheromone mist to control destructive behavior. Patent-pending technology. Packaged in the US.
- Clinically proven to provide quick, effective results without causing harm to the canines. Holds contents under pressure and emits a hiss of air with a pheromone mist to get the dog’s attention and stop unwanted behavior.
- Use by spraying in the pet’s direction, about 12-18 inches away in short bursts.
- Repeated usage minimizes undesirable activities by 90+%. Also works to break dog-fights. Do not spray directly on the pet’s face and avoid excessive use. Not suitable for spraying on surfaces.
- Comes with a friendly Lavender Chamomile smell. Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer.
Ingredients: Natural bitter principles and extractives, 20% Isopropanol and water as the base.
- 8 fl. oz. sprayer or 32 fl. oz. refill bottle.
- Taste deterrent spray that contains natural bitter extracts and Isopropanol.
- Mild rubbing alcohol smell.
Price: $ to $$ depending upon the size.
- Best-selling taste deterrent and training spray for dogs with a non-toxic, safe and effective formulation. Made in Connecticut, USA.
- Made of natural bitter principles and extractives, 20% Isopropanol and water as the base. Has a mild rubbing alcohol smell.
- Formulated to discourage dogs and puppies from licking, gnawing and chewing on surfaces where applied. Can also help in preventing biting or licking skin or wounds.
- A non-greasy formulation that works well on walls, crate pads, carpets, drapes, and metal and wooden furniture. For best results, apply daily for the first week and then once every two days.
- Can cause some staining, so recommended to do a spot check on a small inconspicuous area when used with special surfaces such as leather, vinyl, and micro-suede.
- Available in an 8 fl.oz. sprayer bottle or 32 fl. oz. refill bottle. Works on cats too.
Ingredients: Natural bitter extracts, lemon extract with 20% Isopropanol and deionized water as the base.
- Available in 4 fl. oz., 8 fl. oz. or 17 fl.oz. spray bottles.
- Taste deterrent spray that contains natural bitter extracts, lemon, and Isopropanol.
- Natural citrus smell.
- Popular chew-repellent training spray with a safe and effective all-natural formulation. Made in the US and featured in The Oprah Magazine December 2018 edition.
- Made of natural bitter extracts, lemon extract with 20% Isopropanol and deionized water as the base. Has a mild, citrus smell that most pets hate.
- Formulated to discourage dogs and puppies from licking, gnawing and chewing on surfaces where applied. Can also help in preventing biting or licking skin or wounds.
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor use on dry-walls, rugs, furniture, power cords, shoes, beddings, houseplants, and outdoor surfaces. Apply as needed in places with proper ventilation. Check on a small inconspicuous area when used with special surfaces such as vinyl or leather.
- Available in a 4, 8 0r 17 fl.oz. sprayer bottle. Also works on cats and other small animals such as ferrets, cavies, and rabbits.
- Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed or money back commitment.
Ingredients: Natural bitter agents, lemongrass oil, purified water, Polysorbate-20, Propylene Glycol, and preservatives.
- Available in 8 fl. oz. spray bottles.
- Taste deterrent, anti-chewy spray that contains natural bitter extracts and lemongrass oil. Alcohol-free.
- Mild citrus smell.
- Professional-grade, anti-chew dog repellent spray with a non-toxic, alcohol-free formulation. Made in the US.
- The patent-pending spray formula is made of natural bitter agents and lemongrass oil with purified water, Polysorbate-20, and other Inert agents. Has a mild, human-friendly citrus smell that most pets hate.
- Designed to deter dogs from licking and chewing on surfaces and skin, when applied. Because of alcohol-free formula, stays longer on surfaces and can also be used on plants.
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor use on furniture, clothing, shoes, flooring, blinds, plants, dry-walls and other similar surfaces. Check on a small inconspicuous area when used with special surfaces such as vinyl, micro-suede or leather.
- Available in an 8 fl.oz. sprayer bottle. Also works on cats and other small animals such as rabbits, guinea pigs, and hamsters.
- Backed by an unconditional, one-year 100% satisfaction guaranteed or money back commitment. A 14-day online interactive training program is also included with every purchase.
Ingredients: 1% Capsaicin and related Capsaicinoids with 99% Inert Ingredients.
- 0.75 fl.oz. – 14 sprays.
- Pepper spray contains 1.0% Capsaicin and Inert base.
- 12 feet range.
- 6” can.
Price: $ to $$ based on the size.
- All-natural, safe and effective dog repellent pepper spray to deter charging dogs. Made in the USA by the #1 trusted brand used by police departments worldwide.
- Formulated with 1.0% major Capsaicinoids and 99% Inert base – the maximum strength allowed by the EPA. No long-term harmful effects on the pet and sprayer though can cause some short-term discomfort.
- Designed to generate precision spray up to 12 feet and features a safety lock to prevent accidental discharge.
- Available is a small 0.75 fl.oz. size a keyring attachment for convenient access. Can generate 14 one-second bursts.
- The canister comes in Green and National Breast Cancer Foundation-friendly pink color. Also available in a larger can with a belt clip.
- Has a shelf life of 4 years. Backed by a satisfaction guaranteed commitment against failure. All products are tested in Sabre’s in-house HPLC laboratory.
Ingredients: 1.0% Citronella with purified water, glycerin, and CO2 as the base.
- 3.2 fl.oz. – 12-15 sprays, 10 feet range.
- Citronella deterrent spray with 1% Citronella and Inert base.
- Natural citrus smell.
- 9” can, 4.5 oz.
- Mild, citronella-based dog deterrent spray to deter low and medium-level dog aggression. Made in the USA.
- Formulated with 1.0% Citronella with purified water, glycerin, and CO2 as the base. Milder (equivalent to 10% pepper spray) and effect does not last as long as pepper sprays. May not be effective on aggressive breeds such as pit bulls.
- Designed to generate precision sprays up to 10 feet and features a safety lock to prevent accidental discharge.
- Unlike the pepper spray deterrents, minimizes the risk of accidental “blown-back” to the sprayer’s eyes.
- Available in a pocket-can size of 3.2 fl.oz. that can generate up to 12-15 sprays. Comes with a belt clip for easy carry and access.
- Backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty.
Ingredients: Ozone-safe compressed air horn gas.
- 1.8 fl. oz. – 150-200 blasts.
- Two sound levels with max. of 120 dB blasts, 50 feet range.
- 5″ x 2.5″ x 1.5″, 2.5 oz. canister.
- Noise-based training/attack dog deterrent device with a simple push-button operation. Filled with standard ozone-safe compressed air-horn air.
- Capable of producing two unique sounds with a maximum of 120 decibel sound blasts. Converts to the mild whistle alarm by removing the trumpet piece.
- Useful correct excessive barking, jumping up, pulling during walks, and deterring an approaching dog. Also works with coyote, deer, bird and other wild animals.
- Available in a convenient 1.8 fl.oz. can with a stainless-steel belt clip for easy carry and access. Can generate up to 150-200 sound blasts.
- Refill canisters are sold separately.
Alternative dog repellents and deterrents
Dog repellent sprays are not the only products available in the market for deterring undesirable behavior in canines. If you are looking for alternative solutions, you can look at motion-activated sprinklers and sonic deterrents
Like cats, most dogs hate citrus smells. So you can use citrus-based household cleaners and concentrates such as the Green Gobbler All Natural Orange Oil Concentrate to repel dogs from furniture, trash cans, and countertops.
Finally, if you are looking for some homemade repellent sprays, then you can check the HowStuffWorks’s article on homemade dog repellent sprays. You would need a good quality spray bottle to store your repellent and use it whenever required. Some commercial empty spray bottles with a longer, wider spray range are listed below:
- Rayson Empty Spray Bottle
- B&B Neon Mist Spray Bottle
- Zep Commercial Professional Sprayer
- Chemical Guys Professional Chemical Resistant Sprayer
Things like cayenne pepper can also work in some cases, though we recommend opting for them as the last resort.
How to pick the best dog repellent sprays for indoor and outdoor use?
With a bunch of dog repellent sprays and dog deterrents available in the market, picking the right dog repellent sprays can sometimes be a challenge. After all, you would like to have a dog repellent spray that minimizes your Fido’s undesirable behavior and makes your life convenient, not make it more difficult.
You need to keep a few factors in mind before picking the best dog repellent spray for your beloved Fido as listed below:
- Type of dog repellent spray
- Ingredients and formulation
- Effectiveness and dosage
- Size and packing
- Warranty and support
Type of dog repellent spray
Before you pick the best dog repellent spray, you need to consider the primary purpose for which you are seeking such a deterrent solution, as it governs the type of dog repellent spray you should opt for.
As discussed above, there are two types of dog repellent sprays – repellents sprays that you can use to discipline or train your own pet and repellents that can be used to protect you and your pet from a charging aggressive dog.
Among dog repellent sprays, you again have the option to pick between training aid sprays which can be used for immediate behavior correction, and taste and smell repellent sprays that can be applied on surfaces around the house to deter dogs from harming them.
The Company of Animals Pet Corrector and Sentry Stop That! for Dogs Behavior Correction Spray are a couple of examples of behavior correction sprays, while Grannicks Bitter Apple Taste Deterrent For Dogs and Bodhi Dog Bitter Lemon Repellent Spray are two examples of surface repellent sprays. You also have the unique PetSafe SSSCAT Pet Deterrent Spray which helps in deterring dogs from the restricted places and surfaces without relying on human intervention.
Among dog attack deterrents, you have the option of choosing between pepper or citronella sprays and air horns. Pepper sprays such as Halt Dog Repellent Spray with 0.75-1% Capsaicin or other active agents are the most effective and safe, though they do cause distress to the pets for 30-45 minutes. Citronella sprays such as the PetSafe SprayShield Animal Deterrent are considered to be equally effective, but they are only suitable for low to medium aggressive pets (Citronella sprays rely on a sudden burst of unfavorable smell instead of irritation to the eyes and nose).
In summary, depending upon your requirements you can decide upon the type of dog repellent or deterrent spray you would like to opt for. You can always pick multiple sprays for different needs.
Ingredients and formulation
Once you have decided upon the type of dog repellent spray you are looking for, you need to take the ingredients and formulation of the spray into account. After all, a spray must be safe for humans and pets alike, have a human-bearable smell and be non-greasy to be used on household items and places, drapes and furniture.
All the behavior correction and anti-chew dog repellent sprays that we have listed are made of either 100% made of natural oils and deionized water, cat pheromone analogs or have a pet and human-safe chemical emulsifiers, making them perfectly safe for indoor and outdoor use. All the options that we listed are also suitable for households with multiple pets with both cats and dogs.
Our list has both odor-rich and odorless deterrent sprays. We have taken care to list only those odor-rich sprays which have a light and bearable human-friendly natural odor be it lavender, citrus or other natural oil smell. Of our recommendations, only the PetSafe SSSCAT Pet Deterrent Spray and The Company of Animals Pet Corrector are odorless.
Still, the preference for certain odors varies from person to person, so keep the odor of the spray also in mind before picking the best cat deterrent spray for your home.
The formulation of the spray also governs its suitability for all types of household surfaces. You can generally get a good idea about this from the product feedback, reviews and Q&A section.
While we have only recommended products which are suitable for most household surfaces such as ceramic and wooden countertops, tiles, carpets and upholstery, you should always do a spot test for color-fastness and staining by trying it out on a small inconspicuous area before applying it on special surfaces such as leather, vinyl, and micro-suede. Our top pick – the PetSafe SSSCAT Pet Deterrent Spray is one of the best sprays in this regard as it is totally stainless.
Dog deterrent sprays are made of either Pepper or Citronella extracts. EPA requires that all dog deterrent sprays should have less than 1% of active ingredients. We have only shared such options in our list.
Among air horns, we have only listed a compressed gas-based option – the Safety-Sport Dog Horn XL, as opposed to mechanical air horns. Gas-based air horns do require refills, but they are more fail-safe, effective and loud with a maximum sound burst of over 100 decibels.
Check the ingredients, odor, and suitability of the spray for different household surfaces before picking the best dog repellent spray for your needs.
Effectiveness and dosage
The effectiveness of the dog repellent spray and its periodic dosage is also something worth checking out, especially for surface repellents which are designed to keep the dogs off specific household items and places.
The effectiveness of the repellents is a subjective matter and can vary from canine to canine, governed by the dog’s breed, size, age, and traits. Still, some dog repellent sprays are more effective than others. An example is the alcohol-free Emmy’s Best Pro Anti-Chew Spray for Dogs which does not lose its efficacy even after 36-48 hours.
For dog-attack deterrent sprays the effectiveness and dosage can be measured by the maximum range of the sprays. It is important to pick an option that is effective from a distance of 10 feet or more. All the options that we listed meet this threshold.
Check the product reviews, feedback, and Q&A section to get an idea of the effectiveness of the dog deterrent before picking a specific option for your needs. Also remember that may have to switch between a few options before finding one that would be reasonably effective for your pet or pets.
Size and packing
The size and quality of the spray bottle is also something to take into consideration before picking the best dog repellent spray for your requirements.
The smaller the bottle size, the easier it would be to carry it conveniently during outstation travel trips. However smaller spray content generally means that you will need more bottles of the spray before the deterrence against an unwanted behavior is established. This can become a hassle especially if you have multiple cats.
The indoor dog repellent options that we listed are available in varied sizes from 1 fl. oz. to 32 fl. oz. of sprays, so you can pick the right size as per your primary requirement. Make sure you prefer a spray bottle that can last for at least 30-40 applications.
Among outdoor dog deterrent sprays, we have primarily listed options that you can carry in your pocket or attach to your belt using the included belt-clip. This means that you can easily carry them around while walking or jogging.
Check the maximum applications a dog repellent spray offers before picking the best one for your needs. Also, ensure that the manufacturer offers a leak-proof packing for the spray.
Warranty and support
In addition to the major factors discussed above, the warranty and post-purchase support is also something that can make a purchase more attractive than the others.
Since the effectiveness of the dog repellent sprays is quite subjective, an option that is made in the US and backed by a satisfaction guaranteed or money back commitment is definitely something that would be preferable. Most of the options that we listed are backed by a hassle-free satisfaction guaranteed commitment, so you can pick them without a lot of concern. Just make sure you make your purchase only from authorized resellers.
Keep these other considerations in mind while picking the best dog repellent spray for indoor or outdoor use. And if you are in doubt, pick one from our top suggestions. In most cases, you would find them safe, convenient and effective!
Things to remember while using dog repellents sprays
As discussed above, dog repellent sprays and deterrents and other products are useful in handling unwanted aggression and behavior. However, canines have varied personalities and behavioral traits. Improving your chances of success with these products is something that would require some tact and effort.
While covering all the information and advice on dog behavior control is beyond the scope of this article, there are a few tips you can follow. For some more detailed information and tips and tricks, you can check out some additional resources in our article on the best dog training guides. You would find The Other End of the Leash by Dr. Patricia B. McConnell especially useful in understanding the behavioral traits of your canine companions.
- Dog deterrent sprays are only useful in certain behavioral problems and not a substitute for any problems that may be arising due to physical and health ailments.
- Always follow the instructions specified on the repellent bottle or manufacturer’s website. Avoid following non-standard techniques while using these repellent sprays. Do not use repellent sprays on puppies which are less than 6 months old, unless specifically allowed by the manufacturer.
- While the dog deterrent spray options that we listed work on most surfaces, always check for discoloration and staining on a small inconspicuous area before using on special surfaces such as wooden varnishing, vinyl, leather, and faux-leather surfaces.
- Dog repellent sprays and deterrents have maximum impact when you spray them while your kitty is around looking. However, you should not spray the repellent directly on the dog’s face, unless explicitly specified so. Even if the dog repellent spray needs to be used by spraying in the direction of the dog or on the dog’s head, you should still keep it 12-18 inches away from the pet’s face.
- Keep the repellent sprays away from children and avoid any direct contact while spraying. In case of accidental exposure and a serious allergic reaction, consult a doctor immediately.
- Be patient with your dog while using deterrent sprays. It sometimes takes a week or so for the dog to react appropriately to these products. If you do not get the desired output, be ready to accept failure and switch to another dog repellent spray.
- In addition to using the repellents, make sure you clip the pet’s claw nails periodically to minimize the destruction caused by scratching and chewing.
- If the canine continues to show aggression or exhibits discomfort when in the range of the repellent spray, then consult your vet or behaviorist. Some dogs may be allergic to the deterrent spray used.
- If nothing else works, then you can consider using a containment product like a dog crate or playpen. While most dogs love the freedom to explore around, a dog crate may be the only option to prevent destructive behavior, especially in your absence.
Following these major tips and tricks would help in ensuring that your canine responds positively to the deterrents and you see a marked reduction in the unwanted behavior.
Final thoughts on the best dog repellent sprays for indoor and outdoor use
Even the friendliest pet dog can sometimes exhibit unwanted behavior in and out of the house – such as chewing furniture or carpets, raiding the trash cans, digging holes in the garden or backyard, or jumping at guests. Moreover, there are also situations in which you need to protect yourself or your pet from a charging dog (like those postmen getting chased by the dogs!).
Dog repellent sprays are one category of deterrents that can help in discouraging and disciplining the pet in the most humane way.
In this article, we looked at some of these best dog repellent sprays available in the market. We looked at the major characteristics of these products, the advantages of using them, the factors to consider before picking the best dog repellent spray and also shared our top picks.
All the products that we listed are indoor and outdoor-friendly and safe to use around other pets and humans. We also shared some alternatives that you can try out to prevent the undesirable behavior of a canine.
We hope that you found this article useful and it would help you in picking the best dog repellent spray or dog deterrent spray as per your requirements and preferences. Do let us know your feedback and questions by commenting below. Until next time, have a playful time with your canine companion!