In our article on the best cat deterrent sprays for indoor cats, we saw how we can use a deterrent or repellent spray to keep the felines out of specific areas in the house or deter them from repeating unwanted behavior such as clawing and scratching furniture, jumping on counters or destroying the window blinds.
But what about the outdoors? Surely, the indoor cat repellents cannot be very effective, as they only work well on domestic cats and in a small, restricted perimeter. What you need is a potent cat repellent formulated specifically for outdoor use.
In this article, we will review and list some of the best cat repellents available in the market specifically for outdoor use – such as protecting your backyard or garden from domestic as well as feral cats.
We will look at all the different types of cat repellents which can provide off-hand protection from cats, dogs, ferrets, and many other outdoor creepers – deterrent sprays, granules, sprinklers, and even technical electronic devices. We will also share some buying advice and factors to consider before picking the best cat deterrents or repellents for outdoor cats. So buckle up and read on!
Also, check out our article on the best cat cages and playpens for another option to limit a cat’s movement around the house and manage bad behavior.
Best cat repellents for outdoor cats listSome of the most effective and best cat repellents for outdoor cats are listed below:
|Orbit Yard Enforcer Motion-Activated Sprinkler||Motion-activated pet deterrent water sprinkler.|
Dual activation by heat and motion.
Can cover up to 1600 sq. ft.
Powered by 4 AA- batteries.
|Nature's Mace Cat Repellent Concentrate||Cat repellent spray.|
40 fl. oz. concentrate or ready-to-use spray.
Contains natural oils and human-safe chemicals.
|Contech ScareCrow Motion-Activated Animal Repellent||Motion-activated pet deterrent water sprinkler.|
Dual activation by heat and motion.
Can cover up to 1200 sq. ft.
Powered by a 9V battery.
|Aspectek Yard Sentinel Ultrasonic Pest Repeller||Ultrasonic noise and strobe light pet repellent.|
Can cover up to 5000 sq. ft.
Powered by an AC adapter or 4 C-batteries.
|PredatorGuard PestAway Ultrasonic Outdoor Animal & Cat Repeller||Ultrasonic noise and strobe light pet repellent.|
Can cover up to 40 linear ft or 920 sq. feet.
Powered by two 9V batteries or AC adapter.
|Green Gobbler All Natural Orange Oil Concentrate||Cat repellent spray.|
Contains 85-90% natural D-Limonene.
22.5 fl. oz. concentrate and spray bottle.
For Indoor/Outdoor use.
|Safer Brand Critter Ridder Animal Repellent Granules||Multi-pet repellent granules.|
100% natural, organic formulation.
5 lbs. container. One container protects up to 300 sq. ft.
|Enviro Pro Scram For Cats||Cat repellent granules.|
100% natural, organic formulation.
3.5 lbs. bag. One bag protects up to 1800 sq. ft.
|Shake Away Cat Repellent Coyote/Fox Urine||Cat repellent granules.|
20 oz. granules can with coyote and fox urine mix.
One container protects up to 600 sq. ft.
|Homarden Garden Cat Scat Mats/Prickle Strips||Plastic spiked scat mat.|
6 strips, each 19.25” long and 5.5” wide.
Can cover up to 9 linear feet.
What are the different types of cat repellents for outdoor cats and how can they be useful?
As per an estimate, there are anywhere between 20 to 80 million outdoor cats in the US. And clearly not all of them are docile and obedient.
If you have an outdoor garden or backyard that is regularly raided by outdoor domestic or stray cats, then you already know the challenges that these felines pose.
Not only the outdoor cats inadvertently harm the plantation by digging, but also pose some serious health issues. Contrary to popular belief, cat waste is not good for plants or humans. Moreover, some cats carry a parasite called Toxoplasma gondii that is discharged in their feces and can be harmful to humans, especially children, and pregnant ladies.
One of the ways by which you can prevent the cats from raiding your lawn, flower bed or garden is to use a cat repellent. Using such a repellent or deterrent is one of the most humane and effective ways of handling this menace.
There are different types of cat repellents and deterrents available in the market – sprays, granule powders, ultrasonic devices, automatic sprinklers, and even prickling scram mats. Each of these types of cat deterrent solutions have their own pros and cons and you will have to keep them in mind before picking the right cat deterrent solution for your needs.
In our recommendations, we have focused only on cat deterrent products that are ” largely human-safe and tolerable” and still reasonably effective. And the options that we listed do not require a continuous human presence. (The term cat deterrents and repellents are often used interchangeably because some products can play the role of both. We would also use these terms accordingly).
- Cat repellent sprays: Cat repellent sprays are specially formulated organic or inorganic chemical mixtures that are designed to deter cats either through odor, or taste or both. Outdoor cat repellents tend to have a stronger smell than indoor repellents. Most such sprays are still safe to use on garden plants and vegetation and can be effective for 3-4 days after which they need to be reapplied. Such cat repellents work best with domestic cats and pests. In most cases, feral cats are just too immune to their effect.
- Cat repellent granules and powder: Cat repellent granules are similar to cat repellent sprays, except that they need to be applied on the soil and tend to have more concentrated formulations. Most pest repellent granules are weather and water-resistant and can provide protection from both domestic and feral cats. The effect generally lasts for 20-30 days.
- Ultrasonic Cat repellent/deterrent devices: These multi-pet pest repellents are special electronic devices that can emit an animal-audible but human-inaudible ultrasonic sound to drive an invading pest away. These devices rely on infrared sensors to detect the presence of an animal and have a very wide range. Most ultrasonic devices also have strobe-lights to give a visual warning to the pest. These devices are powered by solar power, batteries or through A/C adapters.
- Motion-activated sprinkler cat deterrent devices: These special motion-activated devices are the most humane types of cat and other pest deterrents. There are no chemicals and no ultrasonic sounds involved. These devices deter an invading pet by sprinkling a sudden burst of water towards the pest and startling it. Most experts believe that water sprinkler deterrent devices are the most effective solution for feral cats. However, they use water and hence can also wet an unsuspecting bystander.
- Prickle strips and scat mats: Cats just hate walking on prickling surfaces. Scat and spike mats with plastic prickle strips and spikes are also a type of cat deterrent to use on specific “hot-spots”. They can also be placed around the trees and walls to prevent cats from climbing on them. However, to cover a large area, you would need a lot of these mats and strips. Cat deterrent scat mats are often used together with other cat deterrents to provide better coverage.
It is important to keep in mind that some cat deterrents may not be as effective on certain cats as on others, mainly because of the differences in the feline genetic traits. You might have to switch between a few options or use a combination of cat repellents for best results.
In the next section, we will list some of the best cat deterrents and repellents for outdoor cats. We would also cover the main factors to consider before picking the best cat repellent for your needs and some alternative products that you can try out to prevent from the cats and other pests ruining your outdoor garden, flower bed or lawn.
Which are the best cat repellents for outdoor cats?
Type: Motion-activated pet deterrent water sprinkler.
Material/Ingredients: Plastic sprinkler with a metal stake and brass water connector.
- 10” x 5” x 24.5”.
- Protects 40 feet in diameter, covering 1600 sq. feet.
- Only 2 cups of water per activation.
- Powered by 4 AA- type batteries.
- High-quality motion-activated water sprinkler to deter animals and pests. Made in China under the US-based company’s quality control measures. Works on cats, foxes, raccoons, skunks, and many other critters.
- Comes with an intelligent Infrared motion sensor that is capable of detecting pests from up to 40 feet away and has a wide viewing angle of 120 degrees. The detection angle can be adjusted.
- Equipped with a unique sunlight detector with options for a day-only, night-only, or 24-hour protection.
- Uses only 2 cups of water per spray. The spray duration is also adjustable. Powered by 4 AA-batteries (not included) which can last for up to 7500 activations.
- Can also double-up as a 30-minute timed water sprinkler for the garden or lawn. Additional optional sprinklers can also be added to the same unit.
- Backed by a three-year manufacturer warranty. Also available in Garden Enforcer design with a tripod stand.
Most pet experts and gardeners agree that automatic water sprinklers are the most effective mechanism of keeping pests away from the gardens, pools and other outdoor plantations. These animal repellents work on all types of animals – domestic and feral cats, dogs, raccoons, deer, skunks, heron, foxes, etc. So, it is obvious that our pick for the best cat repellent is an automatic motion-activated sprinkler by Orbit Irrigation Products.
The Orbit Yard Enforcer Motion-Activated Sprinkler features a high-quality construction with a plastic automatic sprinkler attachment mounted on an all-metal stake with a brass water connector valve and sprinkler impact arm. The stake is powder-coated with a rust-resistant paint for protection against corrosion. The sprinkler system is made in China under the US-based company’s strict quality control measures.
The Orbit Yard Enforcer has quite a few design features that make it a better choice than the popular Contech ScareCrow sprinkler. First of all, we feel that it has a better build quality. Secondly, it is one of the few animal deterrent sprinklers on the market that offer options for automatic day-only, night-only, or 24-hour protection through a built-in sunlight detection mechanism. Finally, it is more water-efficient – each spray uses only 2 cups of water and the spray duration is adjustable – something that is not possible with the Contech ScareCrow.
The Orbit Yard Enforcer is powered by 4 AA-batteries that can last for up to 7500 activations. The batteries are housed in an air-tight compartment to prevent any damage in inclement weather conditions. Its intelligent Infrared motion is capable of detecting pests from up to 40 feet away and has a wide viewing angle of 120 degrees, providing coverage to a maximum area of over 1500 sq. feet. The sensor is smart enough to differentiate between trees and animals, so the sprinkler does not activate every time the wind blows. The detection angle and the range of the sensor can also be adjusted.
Another nice feature of Orbit Yard Enforcer is that it can also double-up as a 30-minute timed water sprinkler for the garden or lawn. And since it has the flow-through outlet above the valve, you can add additional sprinklers as well to the same unit.
The Orbit Yard Enforcer is backed by a three-year manufacturer warranty against defects. And if you are looking for a repellent sprinkler for a garden, then the manufacturer also offers a tripod-mountable Orbit Garden Enforcer Sprinkler, that adapts to your growing garden and landscape.
Type: Cat repellent spray concentrate.
Material/Ingredients: 4.0% Peppermint oil, 1.0% Citronella oil, 1.0% Lemongrass oil, 94% water and other ingredients.
- Available in 40 oz. concentrate or ready-to-use spray.
- 40 oz. concentrate can prepare 5 gallons spray that can protect up to 15000 sq. feet of area.
- Fresh minty smell.
- Best-selling cat repellent concentrate/spray with a largely non-toxic, all-natural formulation. Made in the US.
- Improved formula with an amalgamation of peppermint, lemongrass and citronella oils with the water and organic base. 100% biodegradable and eco-friendly with a minty smell.
- Suitable for regular use on a 1-day to 7-day rotation. 40 oz. concentrate makes up to 5-gallons of ready-to-use spray. Works for both domestic and feral cats.
- Suitable for use on landscape beds, lawns, patios, basements, and yards. Avoid directly spraying on ornamental and soft-bodied plants.
- Works in all seasons thanks to a proprietary sticking agent technology which improves product active duration and effectiveness.
- Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed or money-back commitment by the manufacturer. Also available in a granule formulation.
When it comes to the cat repellent concentrates and sprays, there is no other cat repellent spray that works as aggressively and as effectively as Nature’s Mace Cat Repellent. Its all-natural, human-safe formulation that is more effective and lasts longer than most other cat repellents makes it our favorite pick.
The Cat Mace, as it is often called, has been developed after extensive research and experimentation. It features a 100% biodegradable and eco-friendly formulation with a combination of peppermint oil, citronella oil and lemongrass oil acting as active ingredients. The rest 94% of the contents are made up of water, citric acid, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Benzoate, and Sulfur.
All the ingredients used are exempted from the EPA registration under Section 25(b) of FIFRA. The Cat Mace is made in Pennsylvania, US and marketed a veteran-owned and family-operated manufacturer.
The Nature’s Cat Mace is available in as a concentrate or a ready-to-use spray. The manufacturer also offers a granular formulation if you would prefer so. A 40 oz. concentrate can be used to prepare up to 5 gallons of ready-to-use spray (the spray bottle is not included, and you would have to purchase one separately). Each gallon of spray can protect up to 3000 sq. feet of area. It has a minty smell that most cats hate.
The Cat Mace is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use, and can effectively protect gardens, flower-beds, shrubs, lawns, basements, cellars, and storage areas. It works equally well on domestic as well as stray and feral cats. Some pet owners even use it as a training aid to correct unwanted behavior. If you want to use it for indoor areas, we suggest that you dilute the concentrate a little more than recommended in order to reduce the minty odor it produces.
Applying the mace is easy. Simply follow the instructions to make a ready-to-use spray and apply on the surfaces and in soil. The manufacturer recommends applying it daily on the hot-spots for the first week and then once every week to deter the felines from the area. Its improved sticking agent technology helps in increasing the product active duration and effectiveness, and therefore you can even use it in wet weather.
The Nature’s Mace Cat Repellent is available in multiple sizes and forms – concentrate, ready-to-use spray and granules. And it is backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed or money-back commitment by the manufacturer.
Type: Motion-activated pet deterrent water sprinkler.
Material/Ingredients: Plastic sprinkler with a metal stake. Brass water connector.
- 12.6″ x 7.3″ x 3.6″, 1.35 lbs.
- Protects 35 feet in diameter, covering 1,200 sq. feet.
- Only 2-3 cups of water per activation.
- Powered by one 9V battery.
- Popular motion-activated water sprinkler to deter animals and pests including cats, deer, raccoons, rabbits, skunks, and other critters. Made in China for the BC, Canada-based company.
- Features a unique lens design with an intelligent Infrared motion sensor that is capable of detecting invaders from up to 35 feet away. The detection range and angle can be adjusted to a minimum of 6 feet.
- Has a fail-safe and leak-proof valve that is designed to automatically close and cut off the water supply, even without power. The sprinkler is also equipped with a low-battery indicator.
- Uses only 2-3 cups of water per spray. Powered by a 9V battery(not included) which can last for up to 6 months. However, the spray duration is not adjustable.
- Backed by a 30-day, 100% money-back guarantee and a two-year manufacturer warranty against defects.
Type: Ultrasonic noise and strobe-light pet repellent.
Material/Ingredients: Weather-resistant and waterproof ABS plastic casing.
- 26.0″ x 18.5″ x 9.5″, 0.8 lbs.
- 3-way protection for up to 5000 sq. feet.
- Powered by an AC adapter or 4 C- type batteries.
- Comes with installation keyholes but no mounting pole.
- Effective ultrasonic pet and pest repeller from the manufacturers of the first and most popular ultrasonic electronic pest deterrent. Assembled in the US from imported parts.
- Equipped with three repelling technologies – an ultra-strobe light, an inaudible ultrasonic sound and an optional audible sonic predator alarm. Harmless ultrasonic sound and flashing strobe annoy pests and drive them away.
- Features adjustable ultrasonic frequencies that can be set in multiple modes, including motion sensor, constant or continuous sweep. Infrared PIR Motion Sensor detects pests from approx. 50 feet away. The Strobe light has an automatic sunset detection mechanism that works best for nocturnal pests.
- Designed to provide protection for up to 5000 sq. feet. of area and multiple pests – cats, dogs, birds, rabbits, raccoons, skunks, foxes, etc. Recommended mounting 12-18 inches above the ground to best protection.
- Powered by an A/C adapter (included) or 4 C-type batteries (not included). Comes with a 33 feet extension cord for convenience. Batteries last for up to 2 months.
- Easy to mount with keyhole slots. But mounting pole is not included.
- Backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty. An Ultrasonic pest repeller with a 4-button remote control is also available from the same manufacturer.
Type: Ultrasonic noise and strobe-light pet repellent.
Material/Ingredients: Weather-resistant ABS plastic casing with sealed joints.
- 36″ x 29″ x 41″, 0.6 lbs.
- 3-way protection for up to 920 sq. feet.
- Powered by an AC adapter or two 9V batteries.
- Comes with installation keyholes but no mounting pole.
- Another popular ultrasonic pest repeller with 3-way protection from invading pets and pests. Assembled in the US from imported parts.
- Equipped with three repelling technologies – an ultra-strobe light, an inaudible ultrasonic sound and an optional audible sonic predator alarm. The ultrasonic frequency range is 18KHz – 25KHz.
- Features adjustable ultrasonic frequencies and an Infrared PIR Motion Sensor that can detect pets and pests from approx. 40 feet away. Works in conjunction with LED strobe lights that can last for over 100,000 hours.
- Designed to provide protection for 920 sq. feet. of area and multiple pests – cats, dogs, birds, rabbits, raccoons, skunks, foxes, etc. Mount at 12-18 feet from the ground for maximum effect.
- Powered by two 9V batteries (not included) or an A/C adapter (not included). Batteries last for up to 3-6 months.
- Backed by a 30-day money-back commitment and a one-year manufacturer warranty.
Type: Cat repellent spray concentrate.
Material/Ingredients: 85-90% D-limonene, 10% non-ionic coconut surfactant.
- Includes a 22.5 oz bottle of concentrate and a 22.5 oz spray bottle for mixing.
- 20 bottles can be prepared with the concentrate.
- Bio-degradable and organic. Pleasant citrus smell.
- A multi-purpose surface cleaner that helps in keeping pet cats away from garden and house plants. Made in the USA.
- Cold-pressed orange oil contains 90% D-limonene that acts as a versatile domestic cleaner and also as a cat repellent spray for ornamental plants and gardens. Suitable for indoor as well as outdoor use.
- 100% natural, biodegradable and non-toxic with a pleasant citrus smell that felines hate. But can cause eye and skin irritation upon direct exposure.
- One bottle of concentrate can be used to make 20 bottles of spray. The spray bottle is also included. For use with soil, double the concentration.
- Most effective on domestic cats. May not be as effective on feral cats and other pets.
- Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed or money-back commitment by the manufacturer.
Type: Cat repellent granules.
Material/Ingredients: 0.48% black pepper oil, 0.185% Piperine, 0.032% Capsaicin and 99.3% organic base with crystalline silica.
- 5 lbs. plastic container.
- Organic and largely safe for pets and humans. Mild smell.
- Provides protection for up to 300 sq. ft. area for 30 days.
- Popular multi-pet repellent granules with an organic and natural formulation to deter critters using a combination of scent and taste. Made in the US.
- Contains active organic ingredients – oils of black pepper, Piperine, and Capsaicin and unique organic carriers that deter feral and domestic cats and other critters such as raccoons, chipmunks, and groundhogs from invading the garden.
- One application provides protection to a 300 sq. feet area for up to 30 days. Can be applied to garden paths, flower beds, and lawns. Can also work for indoor spot treatment in non-living areas.
- Can cause eye or skin irritation, so recommended to be applied while wearing gloves or by using a garden spreader.
- Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer.
Type: Cat repellent granules.
Material/Ingredients: Proprietary 100% natural and organic formulation.
- 5 lbs. scram shaker bag.
- Non-toxic and largely pet/human-safe. Strong minty smell.
- Provides protection for up to 1800 sq. ft. area (600 sq. ft. per pound) for 15-20 days.
- Popular cat repellent scram with a proprietary formulation of organic and natural ingredients. Made in the US.
- Contains active organic by-products, natural oils and unique organic carriers that deter feral and domestic cats from invading the garden.
- 100% biodegradable and plant-safe. Exempted from EPA registration under Section 25(b) of FIFRA.
- One application provides protection to 500-600 sq. feet of area per pound for 15-20 days. Suitable for use in stone piles, wood piles, around foundations of homes, garages, barns, sheds, gardens, and flower beds. Can be mixed with wood chips or other materials before application.
- Carries a distinctive and strong minty smell, which may be unpleasant for some humans.
- Backed by a six-month, 100% satisfaction guaranteed or money-back commitment by the manufacturer.
Type: Cat repellent granules.
Material/Ingredients: 3.5% Coyote urine, 1.5% fox urine and 95% organic base. 100% natural and organic.
- 20 oz. granules can.
- Non-toxic, rain-safe granules. Distinctive stinking smell.
- Provides protection for up to 600 sq. ft. area for 30 days.
- A unique cat repellent granule formulation to keep cats away by relying on the fear factor of a predator. Made in the US.
- Patented formula with 100% organic, non-toxic contents based on the dried urine powder of feline predators – coyote and fox. Works best for domestic cats and some breeds of feral cats.
- Heavy granules do not wash in rain or evaporate and freeze in cold weather.
- One application can protect an area of up to 600 square feet for a month. Easy to apply by directly scattering the granules from the shaker can.
- Not suitable for regions with fox or coyotes as it can act as an attractant for these animals.
- Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed or money-back commitment by the manufacturer. Also available in a larger, 5 lbs. container.
Type: Spiked prickle strip/scat mat.
Material/Ingredients: Polypropylene plastic mat with rounded spikes.
- A set of 6 mats, each 19.25” long and 5.5” wide. 1.25” spikes.
- Can cover up to 9 linear feet and cut with scissors.
Price: $ to $$ depending on the length of the strips.
- High-quality prickle strip scat mat with plastic spikes to keep cats and other pets away. Made in China.
- Made of durable and waterproof polypropylene plastic. Rounded, 1.25” spikes provide maximum discomfort and minimum harm.
- The set includes 6 mats each with dimensions of 19.25″ X 5.5″ that can be placed linearly to cover up to 9 feet.
- Suitable for outdoor as well as indoor use. Work well for gardens, flower beds, around cars. Can also be wrapped around poles or trees to deter climbing.
- Also available as a continuous roll of scat mat that can be cut into small pieces.
Alternative cat repellent solutions for outdoor cats
As discussed above, cat feces are not a good waste to have in your garden and there are different types of cat repellents and deterrents available in the market to keep these animals away.
If you are looking for alternative options in addition to the ones we listed above, you can check if any of the indoor cat deterrents would work for your outdoor needs as well. Things like cayenne pepper can also work in some cases, though we recommend opting for them as the last resort.
In addition, if you are looking for some DIY homemade repellent sprays, then you can check the Wikihow’s article on homemade cat repellent sprays. You would need a good quality spray bottle to store your repellent and use it whenever required. Some commercial empty spray bottles with a longer, wider spray range are listed below:
- Chemical Guys Professional Chemical Resistant Sprayer
- BAR5F Plastic Spray Bottle
- Zep Commercial Professional Sprayer
Finally, some plants such as the aptly named “Scaredy cat plant” can help in deterring the felines and other animals. You can check the article on the best cat repellent plants for some more options.
How to pick the best cat repellents for outdoor cats?
With so many different types and models of cat repellents available in the market, picking the best cat repellent for outdoor cats can sometimes be a challenge. After all, you would like to have a cat deterrent that protects your outdoor garden, lawn or flower bed and make your life convenient, not make it more difficult.
You need to keep a few factors in mind before picking the best cat deterrent or repellent for protecting your outdoor yard or garden. These key factors are listed below. And if you are ever in doubt, simply pick one of our recommendations:
- Type of the cat repellent
- Ingredients/Building material
- Range and effectiveness
- Weather-proof operation
- Warranty and support
Type of the cat repellent
The first thing that you need to consider before picking the best cat deterrent or repellent is to decide the type of outdoor cat repellent that would suit your needs.
As discussed above, there are different types of outdoor cat repellents and deterrents available in the market – sprays, granules, ultrasonic devices, water sprinklers, and spike mats. Each of these repellents has its own benefits and limitations and is effective in different situations.
Sprays and granules which rely on deterrent by odors and taste work best for domestic cats. For feral cats, they are only effective when used in conjunction with other deterrence solutions such as ultrasonic devices and sprinklers. Same is the case for spike mats or chicken wires.
High-quality electronic ultrasonic devices are generally effective for a wide array of pests – cats, dogs, skunks, groundhogs, and raccoons. And they can provide coverage to a wide area. However, you would need to install them at least 12-18 inches above the ground and tune to the correct ultrasonic frequency.
Motion-activated sprinklers work in most situations and for most pets – both domestic and feral cats. However, they do need a water connection and can wet your garden or lawn. Moderns sprinklers are designed to use only a little water in their sprays, so you need not worry a lot about increased utility bills.
So, depending upon the types of pests, the coverage area, and other personal preferences, you can pick the most suitable type of cat deterrent or repellent.
The ingredients and formulation of the cat repellents in case of sprays and granules and building material in case of technical devices and scat mat is an important factor before picking the best option. After all, you need a deterrent solution that is humane, effective and safe to use.
All the cat repellent spray and granule options that we listed are either made of 100% natural oils or have pet and human-safe chemical emulsifiers, making them largely safe for outdoor use – they are still not suitable for widespread indoor use. All the options that we listed are also safe to use with multiple pets – both cats and dogs, so you can pick any of them without worry. (It is important to understand that natural does not mean totally human-safe. Some natural and organic products such as crystalline silica are not totally human-safe).
With respect to technical devices such as ultrasonic repellents and sprinklers, we have only listed options that are made of high-quality ABS plastic or rust-resistant metals with sealed joints for all-weather outdoor use. Moreover, we have kept the frequency range of the ultrasonic devices in mind to ensure that we only list options that produce a sound that is inaudible for almost all humans.
With regards to scat mats, we recommend that you go only with the options with plastic spikes to avoid any serious injury and harm to animals and humans. Our recommendation – the Homarden Garden Cat Scat Mats/Prickle Strips is one such example.
You can generally get a good idea about the ingredients and building material of a cat repellent from the product description, reviews and Q&A section. Make sure you check them before picking the best cat deterrent or repellent for your needs.
Effectiveness and dosage
The effectiveness of the cat repellent, the coverage range or area and dosage are also important considerations, as they control the level of protection a specific cat repellent can provide to your outdoor garden or lawn.
The effectiveness of the cat repellent is a subjective matter and can vary from type of felines (domestic or feral), their breed, size, age, and traits. Still, some cat deterrent solutions are more effective than others.
Among cat repellent sprays, the Nature’s Mace Cat Repellent is clinically proven to be effective in 90% cases and hence our favorite. Among powder and granules, the Safer Brand Critter Ridder Animal Repellent Granules is reasonably effective in keeping the pests away, though you would have to apply over a pound of granules per 100 sq. feet for it to provide reasonable deterrence.
Among special technical devices, both Contech ScareCrow Motion-Activated Animal Repellent and Aspectek Yard Sentinel Ultrasonic Pest Repeller are reliable and have a wide range to protect over 2000 sq. feet of garden or lawn.
Check the product reviews, feedback, and Q&A section before zeroing in on a specific cat repellent. Just remember that may have to switch between a few options before finding one that would work for your pet or pets.
Weather protection and operation
Since outdoor repellents and deterrents would be subjected to weather elements such as rain, snow, and wind, it is important to consider the effectiveness of these solutions in different weather conditions before picking the best cat repellent for outdoor pests.
When it comes to cat deterrent devices and sprinklers, all the options that we listed are made of weather-resistant ABS plastic with extra sealing on the joints to prevent water from destroying the inner circuits. Cat repellents such as Contech ScareCrow Motion-Activated Animal Repellent and Aspectek Yard Sentinel Ultrasonic Pest Repeller have a proven record of all-weather operation, so they are the best options to consider if you are worried about the operation in inclement weather conditions.
The sprays and powders would invariably get washed in heavy rains, though the granule options that we have listed tend to stick well with the soil and stay on even in moderate winds and rain.
Similarly, it would be a good idea to opt for only plastic scat mats as they are not only injury-free for pets but also do not rust or corrode in inclement weather.
Keep the local weather conditions and advertised weather-proof characteristics of the repellents before picking the best cat repellent for your outdoor garden or yard.
Warranty and support
In addition to the major factors discussed above, the warrant and post-purchase support is also something that can make a purchase more attractive than the others.
Since the effectiveness of these cat deterrents and repellents is quite subjective, an option that is made in the US and backed by a satisfaction guaranteed or money-back commitment is definitely something that can sweeten a deal. Most of the options that we listed are backed by a hassle-free satisfaction guaranteed commitment, so you can pick them without a lot of concern. Among automatic deterrent devices, top manufacturers such as Contech and Aspectek offer maintenance-free operation and decent one-year warranties on their products – making them excellent choices. Just make sure you make your purchase only from authorized resellers.
Keep these other considerations in mind while picking the best cat repellent for your needs. And if you are in doubt, pick one from our top suggestions. In most cases, you would not regret it!
Final thoughts on the best cat repellents for outdoor cats
Feral and pet outdoor cats are a menace, especially if you have an outdoor garden, flower bed or backyard to protect. You cannot always guard the outdoors against these animals. Thankfully, there are quite a few cat deterrent and repellent solutions to help you keep these intruders away from your garden or backyard.
In this article, we looked at some of the best cat repellents for outdoor cats. The options we listed are non-toxic, cat-safe and still, provide a varied level of protection against the felines. And some of them also work for other animals such as dogs, deer, herons, ferrets, and creepers.
We listed all the different types of cat repellents and deterrents – sprays, granule powders, and ultrasonic and sprinkler devices. We also discussed the major factors to consider before picking the best cat repellent for your needs and shared our top picks.
We hope that you found this article useful and it would help you in picking the best cat deterrent or repellent to protect your outdoor garden or backyard from domestic and feral cats and other animals. Do let us know your feedback and questions by commenting below. Until next time, best wishes for protecting your garden or backyard!