If you are one of the 30 million cat parents in the US or one of the over 200 million worldwide, then you would know the headache associated with protecting your household items, places, and furniture from your inquisitive kitty. While there is no single silver-bullet repellent or deterrent to help you keep the feline from scratching the furniture or carpet or stay off places like counters and kitchen tables, cat deterrent sprays can be a solution in minimizing this unwanted behavior by most felines.
But which are the best cat deterrent sprays for indoor cats? Are there any other products that can help also help minimize the destruction caused by an aggressive kitty?
In this article, we will look at answering specifically the above questions and share some of the best cat deterrent sprays available in the market specifically for indoor cats. The products we list are indoor-friendly and safe to use around the household. We will also list some alternate products that can also help in deterring the pets and some things to keep in mind while using these products. Read On!
Also, check out our article on the best cat cages and playpens for another option to limit a cat’s movement around the house and manage bad behavior.
Best cat deterrent sprays for indoor cats listSome of the most effective and best cat deterrent sprays and repellents for indoor cats are listed below:
|PetSafe SSSCAT Pet Deterrent Spray||3.89 fl.oz. – 80-100 sprays.|
Stainless and odorless.
Contains human-safe chemicals.
Requires 4 AAA-batteries.
|Pet MasterMind Claw Withdraw Deterrent Spray||8 fl.oz.|
Natural herbal smell.
|Sentry Stop That! For Cats Deterrent Spray||1 fl. oz.|
Noise and Pheromone Spray.
Contains human-safe chemicals.
Lavender chamomile smell.
|Comfort Zone Scratch Control and Calming Spray||2 fl.oz.|
Stainless and odorless.
Contains human-safe chemicals.
|Harbors Cat Repellent and Trainer Spray||4 fl.oz.|
Natural oils with human-safe chemicals.
Classic citrus smell.
|P&J Cat Guard Pro Pet Safe Furniture Cat Repellent||4 fl.oz.|
Natural, Vegan and non-toxic.
Available in four scents.
|SmartyKat Anti-Scratch Deterrent Spray||13.5 fl.oz.|
Natural oils with human-safe chemicals.
Pleasant citrus smell.
|Four Paws Keep Off! Repellent Cat & Kitten Spray||10/16.0 fl.oz.|
Methyl Nonyl Ketone with human-safe chemicals.
What are cat deterrents sprays and how can they be useful?
An indoor cat is a loving, independent pet and does not require a lot of continuous personal care and attention. However, if the kitty gets in a destructive mood, it can create havoc around the household. Some of the most common unwanted activities that you might have to guard against are:
- Scratching the carpet, sofas, recliners and other wooden furniture and jumping on them.
- Jumping on the countertops and kitchen slabs.
- Destroying window blinds, drapes and table covers, etc.
- Destroying indoor house plants or harming other pets such as fish in an aquarium.
- Exploring undesirable areas such as baby or kids’ rooms, car garage, etc.
One way you can deter your kitty from repeating such undesirable behavior is to use an effective cat deterrent solution such as a spray, an ultrasonic device or a protector sheet. In this article, we focus specifically on one of these options – the cat deterrent and repellent sprays.
The cat deterrent sprays are specially formulated liquid sprays that can be used to minimize a cat’s urge to perform or repeat an undesirable behavior. These sprays generally rely on special odors, pheromones and/or a combination of noises and air draft that humans can tolerate but the felines dislike, thereby repelling them from the location or preventing them from repeating an unwanted activity. Some cat deterrents are odorless while others have a distinctive smell.
While there are many chemical-heavy sprays available in the market, we have focused primarily on products that are “human-safe and tolerable” and still reasonably effective. And in this article, we focus only on the options that are “indoor-friendly”, i.e., they do not have a very strong odor and are non-allergic to the skin if touched. (The term cat deterrents and repellents are often used interchangeably because some products can play the role of both. We would also use these terms accordingly).
It is important to keep in mind that the cat deterrent sprays that we listed are not meant to be sprayed directly on the kitty’s face unless explicitly specified so (some cat training sprays can be used in this way as can be a homemade water sprayer).
Moreover, some of the sprays may not be suitable to use on special surfaces such as leather, vinyl finishing, wooden varnishes, etc. and you should always do a spot check for staining and color-fastness before using the sprays on such surfaces.
Finally, because of their genetic traits, some deterrents may not be as effective on certain cats as on others. So, keep all these things in mind before picking a specific cat deterrent spray for your needs. You might have to switch between a few options before zeroing in on what works for your feline(s).
Despite all the limitations and considerations, cat deterrent sprays are still an effective option to try out to restrict undesired activities and behavior in cats. So trying them out is a reasonable step to consider if nothing else works.
In the next sections, we will list some of the best cat deterrent sprays available in the market. We would also cover the main factors to consider before picking the best cat repellent spray for your needs and some alternative products that you can try out to prevent your cat from turning into a “kitty from hell!”.
Which are the best cat deterrent sprays for indoor cats?
Ingredients: Ozone-safe compressed Trans-1,3,3,3-Tetrafluoropropene gas with the common aerosol spray products.
- 3.89 fl. oz. – 80 – 100 sprays.
- Stainless and odorless.
- Requires 4 AAA-batteries (not included).
- Best-selling, motion-activated pet deterrent spray that relies on an automatic spray blast to deter the pets from restricted areas. Made in China under the Tennessee, US-based company’s quality control measures.
- Features a 3.9 fl. oz. spray-can with a concoction of compressed Trans-1,3,3,3-Tetrafluoropropene gas with the common aerosol spray products. Zero Ozone Depletion formulation.
- Relies on 4-AAA batteries (not included) that powers the spray nozzle to release a spray blast up to 3.2 feet long. The nozzle is adjustable to 3 vertical positions. One can produces 80-100 sprays.
- Equipped with an adjustable motion sensor that can detect heat-dependent movement from up to 3 feet away.
- Stainless and odorless contents suitable for almost all indoor items – drapes, blinds, countertops, trash cans, and furniture. Works for both cats and dogs.
- Backed by a lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects. Refill cans are also sold separately.
Since 1991, PetSafe has been an established brand with many game-changing and innovative pet products. The best-selling PetSafe SSSCAT Pet Deterrent Spray is one of the most successful and effective cat deterrent sprays in the market and also our favorite.
The PetSafe SSSCAT Pet Deterrent Spray features a unique motion-activated design that relies on an automatic spray blast to deter the pets from restricted areas. The spray bottle has 3.89 fl. oz. of compressed Trans-1,3,3,3-Tetrafluoropropene gas with the common aerosol spray products, which emit a blast of stainless and odorless HFO-1234ze gas. This is the same gas as used in compressed air cans and is environmentally friendly with zero ozone depletion. The system is made in China under the US-based company’s strict quality control measures.
The PetSafe SSSCAT automated pet deterrent relies on a temperature-based motion sensor to automatically detect the presence of a pet nearby. The motion sensor has a range of 3 feet and can be adjusted to five horizontal settings and even turned off.
We found the sensor very reliable and hardly ever it missed out catching the movement of a warm body nearby (It even triggered once on our human expert – a slight drawback of the system). The SSSCAT system has a delay of 2 minutes at start and 30 – 40 seconds between sprays.
The deterrent system runs on 4-AAA batteries (not included) which are housed on the top portion of the spray. The batteries can last for anywhere between 2 to 3 months depending upon the number of activations.
The spray nozzle is capable of generating a blast up to 3.2 feet long. The spray blast is totally safe for indoor use and dissipates quickly. But the sudden blast is enough to startle a pet, thereby discouraging movement in restricted areas (see the video below).
The deterrent spray is quite effective and works on most household items and surfaces – drapes, blinds, counters, trash cans, furniture, and kids’ rooms. Just make sure you keep the spray away from high- temperature appliances (when in use) such as cooktops, microwaves, etc. The deterrent spray works on both cats and dogs.
The PetSafe SSSCAT Pet Deterrent Spray is backed by a lifetime warranty against manufacturing defect – a testament to the superior quality of the sensor and nozzle system. The refill cans are sold separately, though most users have reported that a single can is enough to reinforce deterrence in the pet.
Ingredients: Deionized water, Astragalus-Rosemary herbal blend, Paraben-free preservative.
- 8.0 fl. oz.
- 100% natural with an herbal floral smell.
- All-natural cat deterrent spray made with pure, deionized water and an herbal blend of astragalus and rosemary. Made in Canada.
- Easy to use by simply spraying on places and fabrics daily until the cat breaks the scratching habit.
- A stain-free, non-greasy formulation that works well on carpets, drapes, even furniture fabric and houseplants. Recommended to do a spot check for staining on a small inconspicuous area when used with special surfaces such as leather, vinyl, and micro-suede.
- Has a natural herbal smell that is pleasant to humans but unfavorable to felines.
- Backed by a one-year 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer. Cheaper by weight than most other cat deterrent sprays.
- The manufacturer also offers a Pet MasterMind Lion Tamer No Scratch Cat Training Spray with a similar all-natural formulation.
If you are looking for a decent, all-natural cat deterrent spray for your indoor cats and do not want to spend too much money up front, then the Claw Withdraw Scratch Deterrent Cat Spray by Pet MasterMind is an excellent option to consider.
The Pet MasterMind Claw Withdraw deterrent spray is made with an herbal blend of rosemary, astragalus and pure, deionized water, with no harsh chemical ingredients. The formulation does not contain any paraben preservatives, toxins or chemical irritants. This blend produces an herbal citrus smell that is quite pleasant for humans, but not so favorable to felines. And if you have a multi-pet home, the smell is also not irritating to a dog. The spray is stain-free and non-greasy. It is made in Canada under strict quality control measures for safe indoor use.
The Claw Withdraw spray works well for almost all household items and surfaces – carpets, clothes, drapes, furniture upholstery and even house plants. Most users have also reported no problems with leather or vinyl surfaces as well, but we still recommend to do a spot check for staining on a small inconspicuous area before regular use.
The spray is easy to use and you only need to spray it directly on fabrics and surfaces. Once sprayed the effect can last for over 24 hours. You need to continue its usage until the cat breaks its undesirable habit. It is available in a bottle size of 8 fl. oz. and a bottle can last for over 40-50 applications.
The Pet MasterMind Claw Withdraw Deterrent Cat Spray is backed by a 365-day, 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer and cheaper than most other sprays by weight-per-unit. And if you are looking for an alternative deterrent spray for an overly-aggressive kitty, then you can also check out the Pet MasterMind Lion Tamer No Scratch Cat Training Spray by the same manufacturer.
Ingredients: 0.1-1% Feline Pheromone, and 99% Inert Ingredients, stored under pressure.
- 1.0 fl. oz.
- Noise and Pheromone Spray.
- Lavender chamomile smell.
- Popular behavior correction spray that relies on attention-grabbing noise and a pheromone mist to control destructive behavior. Patent-pending technology packaged in the US.
- Clinically proven to provide quick, effective results without causing harm to the cats. Holds contents under pressure and emits a hiss of air with a pheromone mist to get the cat’s attention and stop unwanted behavior.
- Use by spraying in the pet’s direction, about 12-18 inches away in short bursts.
- Repeated use minimizes undesirable activities by 90+%. Also works to break cat-fights. Do not spray directly on the pet’s face and avoid excessive use. Not suitable for spraying on surfaces.
- Comes with a friendly Lavender Chamomile smell. Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer.
- Costlier than most other cat deterrent sprays.
Ingredients: 15% Analogue of Feline Pheromone, and 85% Diethylene Glycol Monoethyl Ether.
- 2.0 fl.oz. – about 60 applications.
- Stainless and odorless.
- Vet-recommended, behavior-control spray that helps deter cats from destructive scratching and urine marking. Made in the US.
- Drug-free, stainless, unscented and safe on fabrics, hardwood and upholstery.
- Proven to be effective on 90% cats, requires 1-2 spritzes per location and lasts for up to 24 hours. Small spray bottle works well during travel.
- Safe for use around children and pets. Does not harm pets even if licked. But do not spray directly on pets. Pheromones may not be comfortable for dogs, so avoid using it if you have dogs as pets.
- Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed or money back commitment by the manufacturer.
- The manufacturer also offers a diffuser kit suitable for single and multi-cat homes.
Ingredients: Citrus Sinesis Oil, Limon Oil and Lavender oil, Polysorbate-20 emulsifier, Water.
- 4.0 fl.oz.
- Classic three-scent citrus smell.
- Concentrated indoor cat repellent with non-toxic three natural oils formulation. Made in the US and marketed by a family-owned business
- Improved bottle and spray design. Requires only 3-4 sprays per application and three times per week initially and then as needed.
- Works for most indoor items – furniture, plants, countertops, cords, and draperies.
- Recommended to check on a small inconspicuous area for staining before using on special surfaces such as vinyl, leather and faux-leather.
- Safe for use around children and pets. Do not spray directly on pets and avoid contact with eyes.
- Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed or money back commitment by the manufacturer.
Ingredients: Natural Vegan oil (Eucalyptus, Lavender, Lemon or Citrus), Emulsifiers, Water.
- 4.0 fl.oz.
- Light natural oil smell – Eucalyptus, Lavender, Lemon or Original.
- Household cat repellent with a non-toxic and safe, natural oils-based proprietary formulation. Made in the US.
- Available in four distinctive scents – Eucalyptus, Lavender, Lemon or Original Citrus. Works best with adult cats.
- Lasts for over 48 hours on a single application and prevents chewing and scratching. Re-spraying only necessary if the cat repeats the undesirable behavior.
- Safe for most household surfaces – carpets, furniture, blinds, and plants. Check on a small inconspicuous area when used with special surfaces such as vinyl or leather.
- Safe for use around children and pets. Do not spray directly on pets.
Ingredients: Lemon Oil, Eucalyptus Oil, Emulsifiers, Water.
- 13.5 fl.oz.
- Pleasant citrus smell.
- Natural oils-based cat deterrent spray that discourages cats from scratching furniture, drapes, carpets, etc. Made in the USA.
- A combination of lemon and eucalyptus oil produces a long-lasting citrus smell that repels cats. Lasts up to 24 hours on a full application.
- Safe for cats and humans alike. Only contains minimal human and pet-safe chemical emulsifiers in addition to the natural oils. But do not spray directly on pets.
- Works on most surfaces but recommended to check on a small inconspicuous area when used with special surfaces such as leather, vinyl, micro-suede and other special surfaces.
- Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed or money back commitment by the manufacturer. A clear anti-scratch tape for furniture protection is also available from the same manufacturer.
Ingredients: Methyl Nonyl Ketone, Emulsifiers, Water.
- 16.0 fl.oz. or 10 fl.oz.
- Minty smell.
- Mild cat deterrent spray that keeps the cats (and dogs) away from furniture, carpet, trees, shrubs, and other forbidden areas. Made in the USA.
- Features a combination of 2% Methyl Nonyl Ketone that produce a long-lasting minty smell to repel cats and kittens. Lasts up to 12-24 hours on a full application.
- Safe for cats and kittens of all sizes and ages as well as humans. Only contains minimal human and pet-safe chemical emulsifiers in addition to the active ingredients. But do not spray directly on pets.
- Works best with mild-mannered cats and kittens (up to 12 lbs) and small dogs.
- Works on most surfaces and proven to not leave stain on furniture or fabrics. But recommended to check on a small inconspicuous area when used with special surfaces such as leather, vinyl, micro-suede and other special surfaces.
- Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed or money back commitment by the manufacturer. An Aerosol Cat Deterrent Spray is also available from the same manufacturer.
Alternative cat deterrent solutions for indoor cats
Cat deterrent sprays are not the only products available in the market for deterring undesirable behavior in cats. If you are looking for alternative solutions, you can check if any of the following options would work for you. (Whatever you decide to opt for, ALWAYS SAY NO TO DECLAWING.)
These deterrent systems use ultrasonic noise or low-power static pulses to warn the pets to stay away from specific household items such as sofas, recliners, countertops and kitchen slabs. Some of the best electronic deterrents to consider are:
- Sofa Scram Sonic Deterrent/Repellent for Dogs and Cats: Innovative sonic blast deterrent made of attractive, easy to clean black nylon exterior. Emits a startling 85-decibel beep when activated by the touch of a paw. Runs on a 9V alkaline battery.
- Amtek Scraminal Sonic Pet Deterrent: Another automatic ultrasonic pet deterrent that uses heat and motion sensors to detect pets and emits a series of short, high-pitched beeps to repel the pets. Has a range of 15 feet and covers an area of 30 sq. feet.
- PetSafe ScatMat Indoor Pet Training Mat: Battery-operated training mat made of clear vinyl, designed specifically to protect furniture and countertops. The mat features low, medium and high levels of adjustable static correction that will work for any size dog or cat depending on their temperament. Available in multiple shapes and sizes.
Indoor radio fences and pet barriers
The PetSafe Indoor Radio Fence system and PetSafe Pawz Away Pet Barriers are one of the best indoor pet barrier products designed to keep cats and dogs away from off limits areas inside the home such as a kitchen, nursery or furniture.
These barriers have a typical range of 10 – 20 feet and consist of a battery or adapter-powered transmitter and a receiver collar. And they are compatible with outdoor wired fence system receivers as well. The Pawz Away barrier is suitable for all pets 5 lbs. or above, while the Indoor Radio Fence allows you to purchase a receiver collar of any size and even multiple collars can work with a single transmitter.
It is, however recommended, that you put on the receiver collar on the pet only when required to avoid accidental activation shocks. Finally, these pet barriers are costlier than most other cat deterrent solutions
Furniture tapes and protector sheets
If you are looking for protecting your furniture and fabric upholstery from pet claw damage, then the furniture protector sheets and tapes are a perfect option.
Some of the best furniture protector sheets and tapes available in the market are listed below. Just remember to check their suitability while using with pure and faux leather furniture:
- Stelucca Amazing Shields Furniture Protector Sheets
- Furniture Defender Clear Protectors
- Panther Armor Furniture Protectors
- XFasten Anti-Scratch Cat Training Tape
- Jxselect Anti-Scratch Cat Training Tape
Most cats hate citrus smells. So you can use citrus-based household cleaners and concentrates such as the Green Gobbler All Natural Orange Oil Concentrate to repel cats from furniture and countertops. And if you are looking for some homemade repellent sprays, then you can check the Wikihow’s article on homemade cat repellent sprays.
Finally, if no other deterrents work and your cat still loves to claw through furniture and carpets, then you can look at preventing destructive scratching by applying Soft Claws Nail Caps to the feline’s nails. These come in different sizes and last anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks.
How to pick the best cat deterrent spray for indoor cats?
With a bunch of cat deterrent spray and cat repellent sprays available in the market, picking the best cat deterrent spray for your feline can sometimes be a challenge. After all, you would like to have a cat deterrent spray that minimizes your kitty’s undesirable behavior and make your life convenient, not make it more difficult.
You need to keep a few factors in mind before picking the best cat repellent spray for your beloved pet. These key factors are listed below. And if you are ever in doubt, simply pick one of our recommendations:
- Ingredients and formulation
- Effectiveness and dosage
- Size and packing
- Warranty and support
Ingredients and formulation
The ingredients and formulation of the indoor cat deterrent spray is an important criterion to consider before picking the best option. After all, an indoor spray must be safe for humans and pets alike, have a human-bearable smell and be non-greasy to be used on household items and places, drapes and furniture.
All the options that we listed are either 100% made of natural oils and deionized water, cat pheromone analogs or have pet and human-safe chemical emulsifiers, making them perfectly safe for indoor use. All the options that we listed except the Sentry Stop That! For Cats Deterrent Spray are also suitable for households with multi-pet homes with both cats and dogs. The Sentry Stop That! For Cats spray has special cat pheromones which some dogs may find unpleasant.
Our list has both odor-rich and odorless deterrent sprays. We have taken care to list only those odor-rich sprays which have a light and bearable human-friendly natural odor be it lavender, citrus or other natural oil smell. Of our recommendations, only the PetSafe SSSCAT Pet Deterrent Spray and Comfort Zone Scratch Control and Calming Spray are odorless.
Still, the taste of odor varies from person to person, so keep the odor of the spray also in mind before picking the best cat deterrent spray for your home.
The formulation of the spray also governs its suitability for all types of household surfaces. You can generally get a good idea about this from the product feedback, reviews and Q&A section.
While we have only recommended products which are suitable for most household surfaces such as ceramic and wooden countertops, tiles, carpets and upholstery, you should always do a spot test for color-fastness and staining by trying it out on a small inconspicuous area before applying it on special surfaces such as leather, vinyl, and micro-suede. Our top pick – the PetSafe SSSCAT Pet Deterrent Spray is one of the best sprays in this regard as it is totally stainless.
Check the ingredients, odor and suitability of the spray for different household surfaces before picking the best option for your household.
Effectiveness and dosage
The effectiveness of the cat deterrent spray and its periodic dosage is an important consideration.
The effectiveness of the repellent is a subjective matter and can vary from feline to feline, governed by its breed, size, age, and traits. Still, some cat deterrent sprays are more effective than others. Among sprays, the Pet MasterMind Claw Withdraw Deterrent Spray is clinically proven to be effective in 90% cases and hence our favorite. Most of the repellent sprays that we listed last for over 24-48 hours before you would have to re-spray them again.
In addition to the formulation and smell, some deterrents such as Sentry Stop That! For Cats Deterrent Spray and PetSafe SSSCAT Pet Deterrent Spray use a sudden burst along with the spray to startle the pet and reinforce deterrence.
Check the product reviews, feedback and Q&A section before zeroing in on a specific cat deterrent spray. Just remember that may have to switch between a few options before finding one that would work for your pet or pets.
Size and packing
The size and quality of the spray bottle is also something to take into consideration before picking the best cat repellent spray for your needs.
The smaller the bottle size, the easier it would be to carry it conveniently during outstation travel trips. However smaller spray content generally means that you will need more bottles of the spray before the deterrence against an unwanted behavior is established. This can become a hassle especially if you have multiple cats.
The cat deterrent spray options that we listed are available in varied sizes from 1 fl. oz. of concentrates to 13.5 fl. oz. of sprays, so you can pick the right size as per your primary requirement.
Make sure you prefer a spray bottle that can last for at least 30-40 applications. Also, ensure that the manufacturer offers a leak-proof packing for the spray.
Warranty and support
In addition to the major factors discussed above, the warranty and post-purchase support is also something that can make a purchase more attractive than the others.
Since the effectiveness of these cat deterrent sprays is quite subjective, an option that is made in the US and backed by a satisfaction guaranteed or money back commitment is definitely something that can sweeten a deal. Most of the options that we listed are backed by a hassle-free satisfaction guaranteed commitment, so you can pick them without a lot of concern. Just make sure you make your purchase only from authorized re-sellers.
Keep these other considerations in mind while picking the best cat deterrent spray for your needs. And if you are in doubt, pick one from our top suggestions. In most cases, you would not regret it!
Things to remember while using cat deterrents and repellents
As discussed above, cat deterrent sprays and other products are useful in handling unwanted aggressive behavior. However, unlike dogs, cats are independent pets who have a varied personalities and behavioral traits. Improving your chances of success with these products is something that would require some tact and effort.
While covering all the information and advice on cat behavior control is beyond the scope of this article, there are a few tips you can follow. For some more detailed information and tips and tricks, you can check out some additional resources in our article on the best cat training guides. You would find Think Like a Cat by Pam Johnson-Bennett especially useful in understanding the behavioral traits of these furry animals.
- Cat deterrent sprays are only useful in certain behavioral problems and not a substitute for any problems that may be arising due to physical and health ailments.
- Always follow the instructions specified on the deterrent bottle. Avoid following non-standard techniques while using these deterrent sprays.
- While the cat deterrent spray options that we listed work on most surfaces, always check for discoloration and staining on a small inconspicuous area before using on special surfaces such as wooden varnishing, vinyl, leather and faux-leather surfaces.
- Cat deterrent sprays have maximum impact when you spray them while your kitty is around looking. However, you should not spray the repellent directly on the kitty’s face, unless explicitly specified so. Even if the cat deterrent spray needs to be used by spraying in the direction of the cat, you should still keep it 12-18 inches away from the pet’s face.
- Keep the deterrent sprays away from children and avoid any direct contact while spraying. In case of accidental exposure and a serious allergic reaction, consult a doctor immediately.
- Be patient while using deterrent sprays your kitty. It sometimes takes a week or so for the cat to react appropriately to these products. If you do not get the desired output, be ready to accept failure and switch to another cat repellent spray.
- In addition to using the deterrents, make sure you clip the kitty’s claw nails periodically (at least once a month) and get a scratching post or board.
- If the feline continues to show aggression or exhibits discomfort when in the range of the deterrent spray, then consult your vet or behaviorist. Some cats may be allergic to the deterrent spray used.
- If nothing else works, then you can consider using a containment product like a cat cage or playpen. While cats love the freedom to explore around, a cat playpen may be the only option to prevent destructive behavior, especially in your absence.
Following these major tips and tricks would help in ensuring that your cat responds positively to the deterrents and you see a marked reduction in unwanted behavior.
Final thoughts on the best cat deterrent spray for indoor cats
Keeping the household items, places and furniture safe from an inquisitive (or plain aggressive) indoor kitty is a nightmare for pet parents. Be it kitchen slabs and countertops, sofas, carpets, power cords, or indoor plants, everything is game for a destructive cat. Cat deterrent sprays, or cat repellent sprays as they are also referred to as, are one product that can help in preventing this mayhem.
In this article, we looked at some of the best cat repellent sprays available in the market. We looked at the major characteristics of these products, the advantages of using them, the factors to consider before picking the best cat deterrent sprays and also shared our top picks. All the products that we listed are indoor-friendly and safe to use around other pets and humans. We also shared some alternatives that you can try out to prevent the undesirable behavior of an indoor cat.
We hope that you found this article useful and it would help you in picking the best cat deterrent spray as per your requirements and preferences. Do let us know your feedback and questions by commenting below. Until next time, have a happy time with your kitty!