In our article on the best dog cooling pads, we saw how these dog cooling mats and pads can help keep the canines cool in its crate or while resting. But what about felines?
Contrary to the popular belief that cats do not mind the heat because of their arid climate origins, felines are not necessarily a fan of hot, humid weather. In case you cannot have the air conditioning all at all times, and looking for an alternative, a cat cooling pad or mat would be a perfect option.
But which are the best cat cooling pads and mats available in the market? Are they really effective?
In this article, we will look at answering specifically the same questions and list some of the best cat cooling pads and mats available in the market.
We will look at all the most popular types – gel-based cooling pads, water-based cooling pads, and the latest fabric-crystal cold-sensing technology. We even have a recommendation for an aluminum hard-base cooling board. All the options we list are actually are effective in real-world summer use.
We will discuss how these cooling pads work and the factors to consider before picking the best cat cooling pad or mat for your kitty. So buckle up and read on!
Best cat cooling pads and mats listSome of the best cat cooling pads or mats to beat the heat this summer are listed below:
|The Green Pet Shop Pet Cooling Mat
|S: 15.7" x 11.8” x 1”
M: 19.7" x 15.7" x 1"
M/L: 30" x 20" x 1"
L: 36" x 23.6" x 1"
XL: 45" x 27.5" x 1"
|K&H Pet Products Cool Bed III Cooling Pet Bed
|S: 24” x 17” x 1”
M: 32” x 22” x 1”
L: 44” x 32” x 1”
|Hugs Pet Products Chillz Pet Cooling Gel Pad
|M: 19.5" x 15.7" x 1"
L: 36" x 20" x 1"
XL: 37" x 31.5" x 1"
|Best Pet Supplies Cooling Pet Bed
|M: 30" x 21" x 4"
L: 36" x 24" x 5"
|Coleman Comfort Cooling Gel Pet Pad
|S: 16" x 12" x 0.5”
M: 30" x 24" x 0.5"
L: 36" x 20" x 0.5”
|Pet Fit For Life Snuggle Soft Cooling Gel Pad
|12" x 12" x 1"
|NACOCO Pet Cooling Mat
|S: 18.9" x 15.3" x 0.5"
M: 27.5" x 18.1" x 0.5"
L: 37" x 26.4" x 0.5"
|Delifur Cat Cooling Mat
|S: 19.7" x 15.8" x 0.5"
M: 24.5" x 19.7" x 0.5"
L: 27.6" x 21.6" x 0.5"
|Hollypet Cooling Pet Bed for Cats
|16" x 16" x 12.6"
Entrance: 7.8" x 9"
|Petall Aluminum Pet Cooling Board
|S: 20.9" x 15.8" x 0.4"
M: 27.9" x 20" x 0.4"
L: 35" x 23.6" x 0.4"
What are cat cooling pads or mats and how are they useful?
Hot summers are not the most enjoyable times for most pets, especially the ones who are old or suffer from ailments such as arthritis. Because of their genetic desert climate origins, cats can generally tolerate the heat better than dogs and humans. However, they are definitely not immune to discomfort and heat stroke.
Cats rely on the sweat glands in their paws to cool themselves down and manage the body temperature. Breed-specific characteristics such as coat thickness, body weight, and extreme heat and humidity can affect this heat management ability.
Insufficient heat regulation and overheating can cause serious health problems and can even lead to severe heatstroke and death. Cat breeds with thick long-hairs are more prone to these heat-related issues.
So, it is important to keep the feline cool even when indoors. Cat cooling pads and mats are one such gear to help in these situations.
Cat cooling pads, or cat cooling mats or cat cooling beds as they are sometimes called, are specially designed multi-layered resting pads that help in keeping the pets cool by employing the basic principles of temperature equilibrium through conduction and radiation.
This principle states that when two surfaces with different temperatures come in contact with each other heat is transferred from the hotter surface to the cooler surface until both the surfaces attain the same temperature.
So, in simplest terms, cat cooling pads and mats provide a cold surface that can absorb heat from the feline’s body making it feel cooler by 5-15 degrees. These pads are available in multiple sizes suitable for all pet breeds and age.
Cat cooling pads come in four different categories – water-based cat cooling pads, gel-based cat cooling pads, the latest fabric-crystals cold-sensing cat cooling pads and metal pet cooling boards:
- Water-based cat cooling pads: These cat cooling beds work just like human water beds. They have a water-absorbing layer that retains water for a long time and uses it as the principal cooling medium. Such cooling pads are generally cheaper and effective indoors as well as outdoors in the sunlight. However, they are more prone to leakages – a small puncture can leak water on the floor. They are also not as effective in providing quick cooling and can only lower the pet’s temperature by about 5-10 degrees. For better results, you may have to refrigerate the pad for a short duration or add cold water.
- Gel-based cat cooling pads: Gel-based cat cooling pads are more popular nowadays. These cat cooling pads contain a thick layer of self-cooling, pressure-activated gel to provide the cooling. The gel used in these pads is generally non-toxic and safe for pets ( you should still consult a vet if the pet ingests it).
Such cooling pads have a fabric layer that always stays dry and can provide cooling of 5-15 degrees depending upon the type of gel and thickness of the cooling layer. They work best indoors or in the shade and can be refrigerated for short periods for better cooling. They are also more durable and can be carried around during travels. They are, however, costlier than most water-based cat cooling pads. And some pets may not like the squishy gel surface of the pads and hence not use them.
- Fabric crystals-based cold-sensing cooling pads: These cat cooling pads based on the latest Japanese fabric crystals-based cooling technology feature a multi-layered fabric mat with a thin soft nylon/silk surface with a crystal fabric back and a meshed base. The inside of the fiber is added with jade cold element crystal, which has the characteristics of heat absorption and fast heat dissipation, thereby realizing the cold feeling effect. The combination of a ventilated base, crystals, and silk, which is a naturally cooling fabric, provides a slow 5-10 degree cooling to the pets. They may not be as quick-cooling as water-based or gel cooling pads, but they are pretty comfortable for a feline.
- Metal pet cooling boards: Metal slatted pet cooling boards are generally made of aluminum slats that are elevated above the ground to provide better airflow and ventilation. The metal is naturally cooling (Self-Thermolysis) and the opening between the slats helps in providing better cooling to the pets.
The best cat cooling mats or pads can last for anywhere between 1 hour to 5-6 hours depending upon the weather and pet’s size before they need to be replenished with more water (for water-based cat cooling pads) or left out for 15-20 minutes (for gel-based cat cooling pads). Considering cats are smart pets, they can always get-off the cooling pad when the pads do not feel cooler.
Cat cooling pads, mats, and beds can be useful in the following situations:
- Cat cooling pads can provide a cool sleeping surface to the cats in their regular pet beds and carriers. They are softer than the floor or tiles.
- Cat cooling pads can help in managing body temperatures of senior, long-haired, or overweight furry felines who have an inadequate body temperature management system.
- Cat cooling pads can be used to cool down overheated cats that spend a lot of time outdoors.
- Cat cooling pads can be useful in providing relief during painful inflammatory ailments such as arthritis, swelling, and Cushing’s disease.
The million-dollar question with cat cooling pads is how effective they are? The short answer is that it depends upon the feline’s breed (long hair vs short hair), their size, and their comfort level with such pads.
Moreover, not all cooling pads are made equal and if you come across a product that is advertised to provide cooling without using the above-mentioned pet cooling technologies, then the chances are it is not going to be as effective as the ones with a fabric-crystals, gel or water-absorbing layer.
From the above discussion, it is clear that cat cooling pads or mats are an excellent gear to keep your cats cool indoors or in its crate even in hot weather. Now let us look at some of the best cat cooling mats and pads available in the market!
Just a word of caution. Though cat cooling pads can help in managing a feline’s body temperature, they are not made to be effective in extreme temperatures such as inside a car. So do not leave your cat alone in an enclosed vehicle for long, even with a cooling pad or carrier. It is not going to end well for you and your pet.
Which are the best cat cooling pads and mats?
Type and Material: Gel-based cooling pad. Thin nylon surface with a vinyl cooling pad shell having a non-toxic, pressure-activated cooling gel pad. No cushion cover (sold separately).
- S: 15.7″ x 11.8″ x 1.0″.
- M: 19.7″ x 15.7″ x 1.0″.
- M/L: 30.0″ x 20.0″ x 1.0″.
- L: 36.0″ x 23.6″ x 1.0″.
- XL: 45.0″ x 27.5″ x 1.0″.
Price: $ to $$$ depending upon on the size.
- Best-selling gel-based pet cooling pad with a thin nylon surface and vinyl shell cooling gel pad. Designed primarily for dogs, but equally effective for cats and other pets. Made in China under the US-based company’s quality control measures.
- The best-in-class patented pressure-activated gel pad cools the pet for up to 3 hours. Can lower the body temperature by 5-15 degrees. No refrigeration, water or electricity required.
- Provides rapid cooling and recharges and retains its shape within 15-20 minutes of non-use.
- Extremely lightweight and folds flats effortlessly for easy transportation and storage.
- Easy to clean by wiping with a soft cloth or sponge. Avoid soaking in water for a long time.
- Available in standard blue color and five sizes suitable for pets weighing from 10-100 lbs. Backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty and dedicated customer support service.
- An ultralight, machine washable fabric protective cover for the cooling pad is also sold separately by the manufacturer.
When it comes to a cat cooling mat or pad, the award-winning The Green Pet Shop Dog Cooling Mat is one of the best options available in the market since its launch in 2010 and there is a good reason for that. After all, you do not win the Pet Product News International Editor’s Choice Award and The Family Choice Award for no reason. And it is also our favorite pick.
The Green Pet Shop Dog Cooling Mat, or the Cool Pet Pad as it is often referred to as, features a high-quality cooling pad with a thin but sturdy nylon surface and a vinyl-shell cooling gel pad. The cooling pad is made in China under the US-based company’s quality control measures.
The biggest selling point of the Cool Pet Pad is its best-in-class supercharge cooling. The patented pressure-activated cooling gel pad cools the pet by 5-15 degrees quickly and can last for up to 3 hours, without needing any refrigeration, water, or electricity. And the self-cooling pad is easy to recharge – it regains its shape and cooling after 10-20 minutes of non-use.
With respect to portability, the Cool Pet Pad is extremely lightweight and folds effortlessly for convenient storage and transportation during travel. However, you need to ensure that the pad is totally dry and away from direct exposure to heat and sunlight before storing to avoid unwanted hardening and shrinking of the pad.
Cleaning and maintenance is also easy – simply wipe the pad with a soft damp cloth and let it air dry. Do not tumble wash or soak in water for a long time.
The Cool Pet Pad is available in a standard blue color and five sizes suitable for pets from 5-10 lbs. up to 100-120 lbs. And it is backed by a 12-month manufacturer warranty and a dedicated customer support service – a big testament to the quality of the product.
The Green Pet Shop Dog Cooling Mat does not come with a cushion cover, but if you want, the manufacturer offers an ultralight, machine washable fabric protective cover sold separately.
Type and Material: Water-based cooling pad. Multi-layer cooling pad with nylon fabric outer surface, vinyl water shell, and a non-slip bottom.
- S: 24.0″ x 17.0″ x 1.0″, 1.0 – 1.5 gal. water.
- M: 32.0″ x 22.0″ x 1.0″, 2.0 – 3.0 gal. water.
- L: 44.0″ x 32.0″ x 1.0″, 4.0 – 6.0 gal. water.
Price: $ to $$ depending upon the size
- Best-selling water-based pet cooling pad featuring an improved construction and design. Made in China under the US-based company’s quality control restrictions.
- Third-generation product features a nylon fabric top and a vinyl water shell that can be filled with water through an easy fill cap and adjusted with the easy air valve.
- Unique cool core provides even distribution of liquid. Tested to lower the body temperature by up to 22-degrees and lasts 2-4 hours.
- Can be used indoors or outdoors year-round under the for temperatures less than 95-degrees. Only needs to be filled once and can be stored full or empty.
- Easy to clean with a wet cloth or sponge. Not machine washable.
- Available in three sizes and two color combinations – blue and grey. Backed by a two-year manufacturer warranty. Replacement valves and caps are available directly from the manufacturer.
If you are looking for a water-based pet cooling pad that is reasonably durable and still provides decent cooling, then the K&H Pet Products Cool Bed III Cooling Pet Bed is an excellent option to consider. This third-generation cat cooling bed has been a popular choice for pet owners for years and there is a good reason for it.
The K&H Pet Products Cool Bed III features a ballistic nylon-vinyl water shell for storing water. The third-generation bed has an improved, more durable, puncture-resistant cover when compared to the previous versions. The bed has a plastic easy-fill valve and an improved air valve to regulate the cooling effect. Like other K&H pet products, this pet cooling bed is made in China under strict quality control restrictions.
The cooling bed shell can be filled with water through an easy fill cap and adjusted with the easy air valve. When filled with the recommended amount of water (never overfill the bed), the newly re-designed cooling core provides an even distribution of liquid for advanced cooling power. The cooling bed has been tested to regulate the pet’s body temperature from the standard 102-degrees by up to 22-degrees for 2-4 hours. The bed needs to be filled only once or twice a year and can be stored full or empty. Because of the weight of the water, it can sometimes be cumbersome to move the bed.
We recommend that you empty the cooling bed periodically and use a non-toxic antibacterial solution such as the Grapefruit seed extract to prevent the build-up of bacteria and odors in the waterbed. Moreover, make sure you periodically check the bed’s surface and cat’s fur and skin for any moisture buildup due to accidental leakage.
The K&H Pet Products Cool Bed III is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use, though you need to ensure that it is kept away from direct sunlight. It works best when the temperature is under 95-degrees, though people have reported successful use even in higher temperatures (up to 105-degrees).
The K&H Pet Products Cool Bed III is available in three sizes suitable for all cat breeds and it works for dogs too. It comes in two colors – blue and grey and is backed by a two-year manufacturer warranty. The manufacturer also offers replacement valves and caps are available directly from their website.
Type and Material: Gel-based cooling pad. Nylon-Vinyl cooling pad shell with non-toxic, pressure-activated cooling gel pad.
- M: 19.5″ x 15.7″ x 1.0″.
- L: 36.0″ x 20.0″ x 1.0″.
- XL: 37.0″ x 31.5″ x 1.0″.
Price: $ to $$$ depending upon on the size.
- A popular self-cooling pet cushion with mold-resistant nylon vinyl surface and non-toxic pressure-activated gel pad. Made in China and now marketed by TheGreenPetShop.
- The puncture-resistant gel pad gets activated by the cat’s body weight and can lower the temperature by 5-10 degrees and last up to 2-3 hours.
- Self-recharging in 10-20 minutes of non-use.
- Easy to clean by simply wiping the surface with a cloth or sponge. Lightweight and portable – folds flat to a small size for travel and storage.
- Available in single standard blue color and three sizes. Backed by a 90-day manufacturer warranty.
- Competitively priced and cheaper than the Cool Pet Pad by The Green Pet Shop.
Type and Material: Gel-based cooling pad. Multi-layer cooling pad with polyester fabric outer mesh layer and non-toxic chemical gel pad core stored in the middle. Polyester-filled bolster cushions.
- M: 30.0″ x 21.0″ x 4.0″.
- L: 36.0″ x 24.0″ x 5.0″.
Price: $$ to $$$ depending upon on the size.
- Gel-based, pet bolster bed with a polyester outer surface and bolster and pressure-activated gel-based cooling mat. Made in China for a US-based company.
- Proprietary gel cell technology provides airflow and gel-based cooling for 2-3 hours. Recharges automatically in 15-20 minutes on non-contact. The cushioned mesh lining over the gel pad enhances cooling.
- Pressure-activated, non-toxic gel pad that does not require pre-chilling or additional refrigeration. The anti-slip bottom keeps the bed stable as the pet twists and turns in the bed.
- A comfortable side bolster provides additional comfort. The cooling mat can be removed to convert the bed into a simple everyday pet bolster bed. Can be used both indoors and outdoors.
- Easy to clean and maintain. Simply remove the gel pad and wash it in the machine in a gentle cycle and air dry. Wipe the gel pad with a wet cloth.
- Available in standard grey and taupe color combinations and two sizes. Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer.
Type and Material: Gel-based cooling pad. PVA/vinyl-based shell with non-toxic gel filling. No fabric cover.
- S: 16.0″ x 12.0″ x 0.5″.
- M: 30.0″ x 24.0″ x 0.5″.
- L: 36.0″ x 20.0″ x 0.5″.
Price: $ to $$ depending upon the size.
- Standard pet cooling gel pad with a non-toxic, gel-based shell. Made in China under the US-based company’s quality control measures.
- Can be used as a standalone bed, in/below a standard pet bed sleeve, or in a pet carrier or crate.
- Designed to lower the temperature by 5-10 degrees than the surrounding temperature and last for 1-3 hours. Self-recharging in 15-25 minutes.
- Extremely lightweight and portable. Can be rolled up and carried on camping and other outdoor trips.
- Easy to clean and can be wiped with a moist microfiber cloth.
- Available in three sizes and over 5 color combinations, suitable for all cats and dogs. Not suitable for pets that like to chew, claw, or scratch aggressively.
- Backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty.
Type and Material: Gel-based cooling pad. Soft Faux-fleece Velcro cover with non-toxic microwave or freezer-based gel pad core.
Size: 12.0″ x 12.0″ x 1.0″.
- Gel-based circular pet heating/cooling pad with a super-soft fleece outer cover and a non-toxic gel-based pad secured with a Velcro lining. Made in China.
- Simple and versatile. To heat, place the gel-pad in the microwave for 30 seconds and to cool place in refrigerator/freezer for 10-20 minutes. Retains the temperature effects for 1-2 hours before requiring a recharge.
- Compact and lightweight. Would fit most cat carriers or dog crates or added to the cat bed or pillow.
- Small circular size, although can also be used as a stand-alone sleeping surface. Can also be used by humans.
- Easy to clean and maintain. Simply remove the gel pad and wash the cover in the washing machine in a gentle cycle and air dry. Wipe the gel pad with a wet cloth.
- Available in the standard sky blue paw print cover color. Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer.
Type and Material: Silky Crystal-based cold-sensing cat cooling mat. Soft nylon surface with a cooling crystal back and meshed base.
- S: 18.9″ x 15.3″ x 0.5″.
- M: 27.5″ x 18.1″ x 0.5″.
- L: 37.0″ x 26.4″ x 0.5″.
- Newly launched cat cooling pad based on the latest Japanese cold-sensing technology. Made in China.
- Features a soft thin nylon mat cover with a jade cold element crystal-mixed back, which ensures fast heat absorption and dissipation to cool the pet. The meshed base enhances cooling efficiency. No electricity or refrigeration required.
- Designed to lower the temperature by 5-10 degrees. Suitable for mildly high temperatures. May not work well in extreme/hot conditions.
- Easy to clean by simply wiping the surface, washing with hand or in the washing machine in a gentle cycle.
- Available in three sizes and three vibrant color combinations – blue, yellow, and pink. Lightweight and packs small for travel.
- Competitively priced and cheaper than most other gel-based pet cooling pads. Backed by a satisfaction guaranteed commitment.
Type and Material: Fabric Crystal-based cold-sensing cat cooling mat. Soft nylon surface with a cooling crystal-infused back and meshed base.
- S: 19.7″ x 15.8″ x 0.5″.
- M: 24.5″ x 19.7″ x 0.5″.
- L: 27.6″ x 21.6″ x 0.5″.
- Budget cat cooling pad based on the latest fabric-crystal cold-sensing technology. Made in China.
- Features a multilayer surface-soft thin silky nylon mat layer on the top with a cooling crystal-infused backside and meshed base to cool the pet. No electricity or refrigeration required.
- Designed to lower the temperature by 5-8 degrees. But only suitable for mildly hot conditions.
- Extremely lightweight and portable. Packs small for travel. Can be used as a standalone sleeping mat, or with sofas, pet beds, and carriers.
- Easy to clean by simply wiping the surface, washing with hand or in the washing machine in a gentle cycle and air-dry.
- Available in three sizes and two vibrant color combinations – blue, and brown.
- Competitively priced and cheaper than most other gel-based cat cooling pads. Backed by a satisfaction guaranteed commitment.
Type and Material: Cooling fabric cat cave bed. Naturally cooling Oxford fabric outer shell with a plush material inner surface and anti-slip abrasion base. Removable Oxford fabric cushion pad.
- 16.0″ x 16.0″ x 12.6″.
- Entrance: 7.8″ x 9.0″.
- Versatile cat cave bed that can provide seasonal cooling or heating through 2 different configurations. Made in China.
- Features a cooling Oxford fabric shell with plush interiors. In winter, the short plush inner material can keep your pet warm and comfortable, while in summers the cool outside fabric can be folded into a sofa to keep your pet cool.
- Features a decently sized 7.8″ x 9″ opening, suitable for all cats and dogs weighing up to 15-20 lbs.
- Comes with a detachable zipper cushion pad for maximum comfort. Thick, anti-slip bottom provides stability.
- Easy to clean and maintain. Can be spot cleaned with a damp soft cloth. The removable cushion pad can be machine washed in a gentle cycle.
- Available in a single size and icy blue color with an aesthetically pleasing grid pattern. The pet cooling bed is also available in some other designs and color combinations by the same manufacturer.
- Competitively priced and backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer.
Type and Material: All-metal pet cooling board made of aircraft-grade aluminum slats.
- S: 20.9″ x 15.8″ x 0.4″.
- M: 27.9″ x 20.0″ x 0.4″.
- L: 35.0″ x 23.6″ x 0.4″.
Price: $$$ to $$$$ depending upon the size.
- Premium slatted metal pet cooling board made of aircraft-grade aluminum slats that provide self-thermolysis cooling. Made in China.
- Features a rust-proof, waterproof, scratch, and stain-resistant all-metal accordion-style surface. The space between the slats to provide physical heat dissipation without any additional electricity or refrigeration. Suitable for indoor or outdoor use and use in pet beds or crates.
- Portable and folds in a compact carry size
- Easy to clean. Simply wipe with a dry or wet cloth or wash with soap and running water.
- Available in standard brushed silver finish and three sizes – the smallest one works well for a single cat, while larger sizes can be used for multiple pets.
- Because of an all-metal build, costlier than other cat cooling pads, but built to last.
How to pick the best cat cooling pads or mats?
Picking the best cat cooling pads or mats is not much different from picking any other type of cat sleeping pad. The best cat cooling mats or pads have the following main characteristics:
- The cat cooling pad is durable and built to last, while still being reasonably priced. It is also non-slip and puncture-resistant to minor clawing by the feline.
- The cooling pad is big enough of the pet to sit and sleep on.
- The cooling pad is safe for the pet to use and effective in cooling down the pet quickly for a long time. It should be able to last at least 2-3 hours at one time and help in lowering the temperature by at least 5-10 degrees.
- The cooling pad is easy to replenish or recharge without a long wait. And it does not leak water or dampness to the cat’s fur or skin when in use.
- The cooling pad is compatible with other gear like the cat beds.
- The cooling pad is easy to clean and store (without any odor build-up) and it can be used in most indoor and outdoor situations.
Once you have decided upon the broad budget, you can consider the following major factors before picking the best cat cooling pad or mat for your pet or pets:
- Cooling pad type and building material
- Cooling capacity and performance
- Size of the cooling pad
- Color and style
- Warranty and support
Cooling pad type and building material
The type of the cooling pad and its building material and quality is an important factor to consider as it governs the overall durability and reliability as well as the cooling performance of the product. This includes the material of the outer layer, cooling layer, and the inner layer along with the material of the trim and periphery.
As discussed above, cat cooling pads are available in four broad categories – water-based cat cooling pads, gel-based cat cooling pads, fabric crystal-based cold-sensing cat cooling pads, and metal pet cooling boards.
Water-based cooling pads are traditional cooling mats that use cold water as the medium. They are, however, prone to leaks and hence not very suitable for use on hardwood floors or if you require fast, quick cooling.
Gel-based cooling pads are more popular these days. Self-cooling, pressure-activated gel cooling pads provide more efficient cooling and do not require refrigeration, electricity, or water replenishment. They can last for 3-5 hours and recharge within 10-15 minutes of non-use. And the gel used in the picks that we listed is non-toxic and safe for pets, even in case of accidental ingestion.
Silk-based cold-sensing cooling pads do not provide accelerated cooling like the gel or water-based cat cooling mats, but they are more comfortable for the cats to sit on.
So, if you are looking for a portable, lightweight cooling pad you should first consider the type of cat cooling pad you should opt for – consider getting a gel-based cooling pad, unless your kitty does not like the squishy surface of these pads or an aggressive clawer.
Irrespective of the type of cooling pad that you decide to go with, ensuring that it has high-quality, sturdy construction is mandatory. While there is now chewing or claw-proof cat cooling pads, the options that we listed are made of multi-layer, technical fabric blends with the top layer providing a comfortable sleeping surface, the middle layer acting as a cooler and the bottom layer providing a non-slip surface.
Some models also offer additional padding for extra comfort and concentrated cooling. In terms of overall build quality and other features, The Green Pet Shop Pet Cooling Mat and Hugs Pet Products Chillz Pet Cooling Gel Pad among gel-based cooling pads and K&H Pet Products Cool Bed III Cooling Pet Bed have the best construction quality and hence are our favorites.
Check the manufacturing material of the cooling and associated parts before picking the best cat cooling pad or mat for your kitty.
Cooling capacity and performance
Closely related to the type and building material of the cat cooling pad is its cooling capacity and performance.
As discussed above, the standard cat cooling pads can provide a cooling effect of 5-15 degrees for anywhere from 1 hour up to 4 hours, depending upon the temperature and humidity. The water-based cooling pads can last for longer, but gel-based cooling pads can provide the cooling effect faster than water-based cooling pads.
High-performance cooling pads such as our top picks – The Green Pet Shop Pet Cooling Mat and Hugs Pet Products Chillz Pet Cooling Gel Pad among gel-based cooling pads and K&H Pet Products Cool Bed III Cooling Pet Bed among water-based cooling pads do a better job than most other options as they have been verified to have a cooling effect of 10-20 degrees and can last without recharge or replenishment for more than 3-4 hours. Moreover, our top recommendations for gel-based cooling pads recharge quickly and retain their shape within 10-15 minutes of non-use.
It is worthwhile to reiterate that the cooling pads work better in shade, wherein the rate of conduction is high, and the sunlight cannot affect the cooling process. The thickness of the coat and the physical activity of the feline can also impact the overall cooling performance. Cats that have long hair and thick fur and are extremely enthusiastic would require a slightly more frequent replenishment than docile, short-hair cats.
Check the advertised cooling performance and actual in-field experiences before pulling the plug on a specific cat cooling pad or mat. And if in doubt, pick one from our top pick recommendations – you would not be disappointed.
Size of the cooling pad
Once you have zeroed in on a specific type and model of a cat cooling pad, you need to pick a size that is most suitable for your cat. It is important to pick a pad or bed that provides a comfortable sitting and sleeping surface and also fits your pet’s crate or kennel. The shape and style of the pad and your pet’s size and breed can often play a major role in this. You also need to remember that bigger the cooling pad, the heavier it is and the more space it will take.
Most manufacturers provide cat cooling pads of multiple sizes. You can also check the Q&A section and reviews on Amazon for some more information. Pay special attention to the overall dimensions and the dimensions of the cooling surface. And if you are unsure of the size to get, reach out to the manufacturer for help or pick the mat that is one-size-up.
In summary, measure-up your pet and pick the best cat cooling pad or mat size based on the sizing chart provided by the manufacturer.
Color and style
While it might not have a big impact on the functionality of the cooling pad, the color combination and in which the cooling pad is available is also something you may want to look at.
Bright, reflective colors and designs are not only fashionable but also make the cooling mats do a better job in reflecting the radiant heat.
While many of the options that we listed including our top picks are available in single color combinations- typically bright blue, some cat cooling pads and beds are available in multiple fashionable color combinations, so you can pick the most suitable one as per your liking and your pet’s preference.
Warranty and After-sales support
In addition to the major factors discussed above, one of the most important additional considerations before picking the best cat cooling mat or pad is the warranty and post-purchase customer service support offered on the product by the manufacturer.
Top manufacturers such as K&H Pet Products, TheGreenPetShop, and Best Pet Products score big in this category as they offer excellent one or more warranties on their cat cooling pads along with a dedicated customer support service – a testament of the superior quality these products offer.
Just make sure you make your purchase only from the manufacturers and authorized resellers to ensure that you get the genuine product and not a knock-off. Any product that is shipped from overseas and takes more than a couple of weeks to arrive is probably not original and effective.
Keep these small considerations in mind as well before picking the best cat cooling mat or pad for your beloved kitty.
Additional Tips and Tricks to keep your cat(s) cool
In addition to getting a cat cooling pad, there are quite a few ways to make your kitty feel more comfortable during hot summers:
- Groom your cat frequently: A matte, tangle-free coat also helps in keeping a feline comfortable. So, it is a good idea to brush your cat or cats frequently (more often if you already do so) during summers. You can also use professional grooming services and get the excess fur clipped, especially if you have a long-hair kitty. Some of the best brushes to use for grooming are listed below:
- Wipe the cat: If your cat allows you to, wipe him/her with a pet towel or a non-medicated pet grooming wipe occasionally to cool and freshen it up.
- Ensure proper hydration: Ensure that your kitty is getting proper hydration. It is a well-known fact that cats are finicky about their water and love running water more than standing one, some more so than others. So investing in a cat fountain is a good value proposition, especially if you have multiple cats. If you cannot get one immediately, consider adding more water bowls at different locations, or adding an ice cube to the kitty’s water bowl, or leave the faucet running for a few minutes to have the cat drink directly from it. In case you take care of feral or outdoor cats, you can get a self-filling pet water bowl.
- Elevate your cat’s bed: An elevated bed can provide better airflow and ventilation, helping in cooling the pet down. So if your kitty is not a clawer, consider getting an elevated pet bed.
- Get a fan: Getting an efficient box fan to go with your air conditioner can also help in creating a cool breeze for the kitty to enjoy. A window fan would also work quite well, in case you have a suitable window.
- Keep the blinds and curtains closed: Keeping the blinds and curtains closed (if your kitty approves it) can also help in keeping the indoors cooler, especially if you have sunlight-facing window. This would also help you save some money on the air conditioning bills.
Following one or more of these additional tips would definitely help in making the hot weather a lot more comfortable for your cat (or cats).
Final thoughts on the best cat cooling pads and mats
Hot summers are not the most enjoyable times for all pets, including cats. Unlike humans who can sweat to manage their body temperature, felines, rely on the sweat glands in their paws to cool themselves down, which may not be always sufficient on hot, humid days.
Cat cooling pads and mats are designed exactly to help you with this, especially if your kitty is showing signs of overheating – these cat beds provide accelerated cooling to the pets and help them maintain their body temperatures better even in hot conditions. But picking the right cat cooling pad or mat is important.
In this article, we listed some of the best cat cooling pads and mats available in the market and shared our picks for the best water and gel-based cat cooling pads.
We briefly looked at how these cooling mats work and also listed some of the major factors to keep in mind before picking the best cat cooling pad or mat for your pet.
We hope that you found this article useful and it would help you in picking the best cat cooling bed (or beds) to help your kitty beat the heat this summer. Do let us know your feedback and questions by commenting below. Until next time, have a happy summer with your beloved kitty!
Image credits: Amazon.com