Best terrariums and terrarium kits for plants
Numerous studies have shown that the exposure to the greenery of plants has a positive impact on a person’s mental and physical health. So what if you spend a considerable time indoors and do not have access or space for a full-fledged garden. You can always set a terrarium – a sort of mini-garden or a mini-greenhouse in your enclosed home or office.
But which are the best terrariums and terrarium kits available in the market for growing plants?
In this article, we will look at answering specifically the same question and list some of the best terrariums and terrarium kits available in the market. Our focus would be on terrariums that are compact, affordable, and easy to set up and maintain.
We will also discuss some of the major factors to keep in mind before picking the best plant terrariums and also share our top picks. Finally, we will list some of the best succulent plant and air plant starter kits to use with your terrarium.
Also check out our articles on the best wall-mounted fish tanks and unique fish tanks and bowls for some additional enclosures that can also be used as plant terrariums.
Best terrariums for plants listSome of the best terrariums and terrarium kits for plants available in the market are listed below:
|H Potter Wardian Plant Terrarium||9.5” x 5.5” x 10.5”|
Other shapes also available.
|NCYP Modern Geometric Tabletop Terrarium||6.9” x 6.9” x 5.9”|
Other shapes also available.
|TerraGreen Creations Complete Terrarium Kit||S: 5” x 5” x 4”|
M: 5.5” x 5.5” x 4.75”
L: 8” x 8” x 6”
|KooK Geometric Pyramid Hanging Terrarium||6.3” x 6.3” x 8.2”|
|Mkono Clear Glass Vase Hanging Plant Terrarium||Size 1: 4.75” dia., 9” high stand, 1.0 lbs.|
Size 2: 4.75” dia. each, 13” high stand, 1.8 lbs.
|Orimina Wall Hanging Terrarium Set||4.7” diameter each.|
|Deco Glass Terrarium For Plants||5" x 5" x 3.5", 1.06 lbs.|
Other shapes also available.
|Bliss Gardens Air Plant Terrarium Kit||Round: 4.0” x 4.0” x 4.5”, 1 lbs.|
Teardrop: 3.5” x 3.5” x 7”, 1.2 lbs.
|Bio-Bubble WonderBubble Terrarium||11.2” x 11.2” x 15.2”|
What are plant terrariums?
In simplest terms, plant terrariums are like mini indoor gardens. They are tanks or enclosures that can be used to grow live plants – both soil-based and air plants. Terrariums can be sealed or open-air. Sealed terrariums are self-sustaining and do not require frequent watering and maintenance. Open-air terrariums do not have a lid and hence require a little more care.
The market is filled with quite a few different types of terrarium enclosures made of glass, plastic or acrylic. In fact, you can make your own terrarium using a vase, empty jars, fish tanks or even a soda bottle. You can set up a terrarium on a tabletop or as a hanging decor on the wall. We recommend that you go with commercial plant terrariums or tanks for a better success rate.
Terrariums are a perfect indoor garden to add a little more color and vibrancy to your home or office. Some of the key benefits of using terrariums for indoor plants are as follows:
- Terrariums provide a confined ecosystem to the plants to grow.
- Enclosed terrariums can help in keeping the plants safe from pets.
- Terrariums, if set up properly, are self-sustaining and do not require a lot of maintenance.
- Terrariums can help in creating a happy, healthy green environment indoors. Studies have shown this has a positive impact on mental and physical health.
Which are the best plants for terrariums?
Now that we have looked at what plant terrariums actually are, let us look at some of the best beginner plants to grow in terrariums.
Terrariums can be used to grow both soil-based plants and air plants. The key characteristic is to pick plants that grow slowly, do not get too big and do not require direct sunlight and can survive even in artificial light.
Some of the best options are:
- Ferns such as Spider ferns and Button ferns.
- Air plants such as Tillandsia.
- Succulents such as Cactus and Hawthornia.
- Water plants such as Pothos for aquatic terrariums.
- Carnivorous plants such as Pitcher plants and Sundew plant.
In the next sections, we will look at some of the best terrariums and terrarium kits available in the market. Read On!
Which are the best terrariums and terrarium kits for plants?
H Potter Wardian Plant Terrarium – Best premium terrarium for plants
Material: 3 mm. thick hand-blown glass with a powder-coated steel frame. Brass finials and trims. Plastic liner.
Size and Weight:
- 9.5” x 5.5” x 10.5”, 5.1 lbs.
- Other shapes and sizes are also available.
- Premium plant terrarium with a traditional Victorian look. Made in China under US-based company’s quality control measures.
- Made of high-quality, 3mm. hand-blown glass container attached to a powder-coated steel frame. Metal ledges on the sides and lead-free soldering on stress points provide extra stability and durability.
- Features a hinged roof for convenient access to the plants in the terrarium. The entire glass house can also be lifted off for planting.
- The base is free from drainage holes and supported on 0.5-inch high feet.
- Priced at over 80 USD. Plant and decors are not included and must be purchased separately. Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment.
- Available in a dark-grey finish. The manufacturer also offers other premium plant terrariums with different colors, shapes and sizes.
If you love the traditional design of Victorian-age terrariums and craving for a similar setup in your living room, then the H Potter Wardian Plant Terrarium and its variants offer the perfect plant terrarium choices. For 20 years, this Idaho, US-based company has been in the business of building distinctive indoor and outdoor items and their terrariums are the best-selling products.
The H Potter Wardian Plant Terrarium features a high-quality, hand-blown glass enclosure attached to a powder-coated steel frame. The glass is not the thin terrarium glass you find in some other terrariums, it is a solid 3mm. thick glass sheet laser-cut for precise shape. Like other H Potter planters, the terrarium is made in China under the US-based company’s strict quality control measures.
The frame is strengthened with lead-free 99% tin soldering on the stress points to provide extra durability. The frame is painted with rust-resistant dark-grey paint, and other paint options are also available. It has metal ledges to hold the glass pieces safely and securely. The whole setup weighs a solid 5.1 lbs.
The H Potter Wardian Plant Terrarium features a hinged roof that can be opened for watering or misting the plants in the terrarium. And if you want, you can lift the entire glass house off the base tray for planting.
With dimensions of 9.5” x 5.5” x 10.5”, the terrarium may feel a little small, but in reality, it can easily support a bunch of succulent plants. The base tray is 2-inches high and has a clearance of 0.5-inches from the ground. There are, however, no drainage holes in the base, so the terrarium works best for creating a closed ecosystem.
The H Potter Wardian Plant Terrarium does not come with plants and accessories and you will have to purchase them separately. H Potter also offers a bunch of other designs with different shapes, colors and sizes, so you have many options to pick from. And all purchases are backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment.
- Elegant-looking terrarium with a unique 1800’s look copied to precision.
- Made of high-quality 3mm. thick hand blown glass attached on a powder-coated steel frame.
- Metal ledges on the sides and lead-free soldering to provide maximum durability and stability.
- Features a hinged roof that can be opened for watering or misting the plants in the terrarium.
- Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment. Other shapes and sizes are also available from the manufacturer.
- Somewhat pricey for its size. Costlier than most other terrariums but you get what you pay for.
NCYP Modern Geometric Tabletop Terrarium – Best terrarium for plants
Material: Clear sodium-calcium glass pieces arranged on a geometric copper frame.
Size and Weight:
- 6.9” x 6.9” x 5.9”, 1.08 lbs.
- Other shapes and sizes are also available.
- Modern, pentagon terrarium planter featuring a sodium-calcium glass arranged on a metal alloy frame. Imported directly from China by Zhongpengcheng.
- Features a copper alloy frame with 99% tin soldering on the stress points for extra durability.
- Suitable for creating a closed eco-system with a 2.5-inch opening for misting the plants. The base is water-tight (except the gold terrarium with feet).
- Comes with a decorative owl and the terrarium. Does not include plants or starter accessories, which have to be purchased separately.
- Comes packed in a multi-layer packaging – custom-made foam box, liner, inner softbox, protective corrugated box to prevent any damage.
- Available in two designs and three color combinations – black, silver and gold. Backed by a 30-day money back guarantee against quality defects.
- Competitively priced at under 25 USD. Other shapes and sizes are also available from the same manufacturer.
The China-based Zhongpengcheng offers a series of best-selling, modern glass terrariums and their pentagon terrarium planter is one of the most popular decorative plant terrarium models. This geometric terrarium also our favorite.
The NCYP Modern Geometric Tabletop Terrarium features a sodium-calcium glass surface, hand-blown by artisans. The glass pieces are securely attached to a copper alloy frame that is given one of the three rust-resistant textures – black, gold or silver. The frame is reinforced along the corners for extra durability with 99% tin soldering that is virtually lead-free.
At 6.9” x 6.9” x 5.9” and 1.08 lbs., the terrarium does feel a little small, but if you are a beginner and looking for a tabletop décor centerpiece, then it is a good starting choice. One of the sides of the terrarium (2.5-inches) is open for misting and cleaning. The base of black and silver designs is water tight, but the gold terrarium that comes with feet is not water tight and would leak. The manufacturer does offer bigger terrariums if you so wish.
The terrarium is suitable for succulents, air plants, ferns, cacti or other decorative objects. The terrarium comes with a decorative owl, but plants and other accessories are not included and have to be purchased separately.
In order to minimize the chances of damage, the terrarium is shipped in a multi-layer packaging consisting of a custom-made foam box, liner, inner soft box, protective corrugated box and an outer shipping box.
The NCYP Modern Geometric Tabletop Terrarium is available in two designs – with or without feet and three color combinations – black, silver and gold. It is backed by a 30-day money back guarantee, though we could not find details on other applicable warranties.
- Modern geometric terrarium with elegant finished 360-degree viewing. Best-in-class finish for geometric terrariums.
- Made of hand-blown thick glass with a copper alloy frame. Extra soldering on corners for better stability.
- Comes packaged in a multi-layer packing for damage-free delivery. Imported directly from China.
- Available in two designs – with or without the feet and three colors – black, silver and gold.
- Competitively priced. Most models are well under 25 USD.
- Somewhat small in size.
- Some models are not fully water tight and buyers complained of occasional leaks.
- No details of a long-term applicable warranty.
TerraGreen Creations Complete Terrarium Kit
Material: High-quality hand-blown glass. Organic soil and planter accessories.
Size and Weight:
- Small: 5” x 5” x 4”, 1.9 lbs.
- Medium: 5.5” x 5.5” x 4.75”, 2.4 lbs.
- Large: 8” x 8” x 6”, 4.4 lbs.
Price: $$ to $$$ depending upon the size.
- Complete, premium terrarium kit for succulent planter or cactus with an open-air clear glass globe and starting accessories. Made in the USA.
- The hand-blown glass bowl is double-layer and sturdy. Flat double-rim base keeps the bowl stable on a table or countertop.
- Comes with organic soil mix, sheet moss, rocks, gravel and activated charcoal. Instructions to set up are also included. Only need to add one or more suitable plants.
- Available in three sizes and backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment.
- Priced at under 20 USD for small to under 40 USD for the large globe.
KooK Geometric Pyramid Hanging Terrarium
Material: Clear sodium-calcium glass pieces arranged on a pyramid-shaped metal frame and mounted on the steel stand.
Size and Weight: 6.3” x 6.3” x 8.2”, 10.2” high C-shaped stand, 1.54 lbs.
- Geometric, pyramid-shaped terrarium made of clear glass pieces and suspended with a C-shaped metal frame. Made in China.
- The C-shaped frame and the terrarium frame have a gold coating to give it an elegant look.
- Suitable for cacti, air plants, and succulents as well as candles and other decorative items. The base is not sealed, so a tray would be needed to collect water.
- Priced at under 25 USD. Plants and accessories are not included.
- Backed by a 30-day, 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment.
Mkono Clear Glass Vase Hanging Plant Terrarium
Material: High-quality borosilicate glass terrarium mounted on a powder-coated steel stand.
Size and Weight:
- Size 1: 4.75” dia., 2.5” opening, 9” high C-shaped stand, 1.0 lbs.
- Size 2: 4.75” dia., 2.5” opening X 2, 13” high S-shaped stand, 1.8 lbs.
- Other shapes and sizes are also available.
- Elegant, tabletop glass vase terrarium with a flat back mounted on a powder-coated steel stand.
- Open-air design that is suitable for air plants, tillandsia, cobble, or other decorative objects. Plants and decorations are not included.
- Available with a C or S-shaped stand with one or two hanging terrariums. Double- packed in a Styrofoam cardboard box for safe transportation and delivery.
- Priced at under 12 USD for 1-vase and 18 USD for 2-vase terrarium model. Backed by a 30-day manufacturer warranty.
- The manufacturer also offers a variety of other wall and tabletop planters in different shapes and sizes.
Orimina Wall Hanging Terrarium Set
Material: Wall-mounted glass terrarium with metal installation hardware.
Size and Weight:
- 4.7” diameter globes, 1.1 lbs. each.
- Other shapes are also available.
Price: $ to $$ depending upon the number of units.
- High-quality, wall-mounted glass terrarium that works best with water and air plants. Made in China.
- Has a clear, round viewing shape with a flat back and opening on the top.
- Comes with a long mounting nail for installation. However, terrarium accessories and plant are not included.
- Competitively priced at under 7 USD per unit and available in a set of 1, 2, 4 or 6 planters. Backed by a 100% satisfaction or money back commitment by the manufacturer.
- Some other hanging and tabletop terrarium planters are also available from the same manufacturer.
Deco Glass Terrarium For Plants
Material: Hanging glass terrarium with copper hanging hardware.
Size and Weight:
- Diamond: 5″ x 5″ x 3.5″, 1.06 lbs.
- Other shapes are also available.
- Modern Geodesic hanging glass terrarium suitable for both succulent and air plants. Made in China.
- Open-air design with gold brass accent and ventilation. Suitable for micro-greens, succulents, air plants, and cacti.
- Includes only the terrarium container with a copper hanging hook. Does not come with any accessories or plants, which have to be purchased separately.
- Also available in other tabletop and hanging shapes and sizes.
- Competitively priced at under 20 USD for all designs. Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment.
Bliss Gardens Air Plant Terrarium Kit
Material: Glass terrarium bowl with a flat base. Air Plant and accessories included.
Size and Weight:
- Round: 4.0” x 4.0” x 4.5”, 1.0 lbs.
- Teardrop: 3.5” x 3.5” x 7”, 1.2 lbs.
- Beginner air plant terrarium kit that features an all-glass terrarium with a flat bottom. Made in China.
- Available in two open-air designs – round and tear-drop. Can be hanged on the ceiling, or a stand or set on the tabletop.
- Comes with Iolanthe air plant and all the accessories – mini white rocks, purple amethyst crystal, juniper sprig, thistle flower, preserved reindeer moss, and hanging twine.
- The terrarium kit comes in a gift box and is backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty. Priced at under 20 USD.
- The manufacturer also offers other succulent and air plant terrarium designs.
Bio-Bubble WonderBubble Terrarium
Material: Acrylic plastic bowl with polycarbonate plastic stand and cap.
Size and Weight: 11.2” x 11.2” x 15.2”, 2.1 lbs.; 1.7 gallons.
- Smartly-designed, semi-enclosed terrarium with an acrylic plastic bowl and poly-carbonate stand and cap. Made in China for Florida, US-based company.
- Features a two-part bubble design with a tabletop base to create wet, dry, humid and open-air eco-system. The design provides a seamless 360-degree viewing angle.
- Comes with a dome, base stand and cap. Additional accessories such as backgrounds and LED lighting are sold separately by the manufacturer.
- Also available in white, silver, black, blue, and green colors and backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty. Priced at under 25 USD.
- A fully-open plant terrarium – Bio-Bubble AquaTerra with modern 3D backgrounds is also available from the same manufacturer.
How to pick the best terrariums and terrarium kits for plants?
With so many different types of designs, shapes and sizes available in the market, picking the best plant terrarium can be a challenging task. In our list above, we have tried to focus only on the best-quality terrariums and left out the cheap-quality choices.
Still, there are quite a few factors you need to consider before picking a specific terrarium model.
Once you have decided on finalized your overall budget, you should keep the following things in mind before picking the best plant terrarium for yourself or as a gift to someone:
- Construction material of the terrarium
- Design and shape of the terrarium
- Size and Weight of the terrarium
- Ease of installation and maintenance
- Additional factors and considerations
Construction Material of the terrarium
Along with the shape and design, the building material and quality is an important factor to consider before picking the best plant terrarium. This includes the construction material of the tank or enclosure, frame, and stand, if any.
Plant terrariums are made of one of the three materials – glass, acrylic and plastic. Of these, glass terrariums are the most popular because of their superior ecosystem control, clear viewing and moisture retaining properties. The glass terrarium containers can be hand-blown or built through machines. Hand-blown glass terrariums generally tend to be sturdier and thicker than other glass terrariums. However, all types of glass terrariums require more care while cleaning to prevent accidental shattering of glass.
Plastic and acrylic terrariums are cheaper and lighter, but they tend to get scratched easily and do not give that elegant decorative view over time. So we recommend that unless you are looking for wall-mounted or hanging terrariums, glass terrariums are the best choice.
In addition to the building material of primary enclosure, you need to check the building material of the frame and stand of the terrarium. Metallic frames made of powder-coated steel or copper are more durable and stable, so you should prefer them over plastic frames and bases.
In terms of build-quality, out top picks – the NCYP Modern Tabletop Terrarium both H Potter Wardian Plant Terrarium offer one of the best construction quality – both have a heavy-duty glass enclosure with a sturdy metallic frame (and base).
So, depending upon your preference and budget, pick a glass plant terrarium with a sturdy frame and stand.
Design and shape of the terrarium
The shape and design of the terrarium is also an important factor to check out as it governs the type of ecosystem and plants the terrarium can support.
You can opt for open-air plant terrariums or closed-container plant terrariums. Tabletop, open-air terrarium containers are best suited for soil-based and succulent plants.
On the other hand, hanging closed terrariums are a perfect choice for air plants which do not require frequent maintenance. Finally, wall-mounted terrariums are the best choice for aquatic water plants that can grow symmetrically out of the terrarium opening.
Some other design features to look out for are the shape and design of the bowl or tank, shape and design of frame and base and size of the openings to mist or water the plants.
The plant terrariums are available in a bunch of interesting designs – modern geometric looks such as NCYP Modern Geometric Tabletop Terrarium or traditional Victorian looks like that of H Potter Wardian Plant Terrarium, or the elegant teardrop or diamond shape of the hanging and wall-mounted terrariums.
The terrariums can be supported on their own base or a stand. They can also be suspended on a C or S-shaped metal stand, hanged from the ceiling or even mounted on the wall. We have tried to list all these different shapes and designs in our recommendations.
Check the overall shape and design of the terrarium and pick a versatile terrarium for your indoor mini-garden.
Size and weight of the terrarium
Closely related with the shape of the terrarium its size and overall weight. Depending upon the number and type of plants that you are looking to grow in the terrarium, you need to pick a size that is big enough for proper upkeep of the plants. You would also need to account for the growth of the plant during its lifetime.
The weight of the terrarium is also important, especially if you are going to hang it from the ceiling or mount on the wall, as the wall or ceiling hanger must be strong enough to handle the weight of a fully-flourishing terrarium.
Many of the options that we listed are available in multiple sizes and capacities, so you can pick the best terrarium model as per your needs.
Ease of setup and maintenance
Terrariums are delivered empty and you will have to set them up yourself. In addition to bowls or containers, plants would require additional items such as soil, substrates, liners, and décors for their proper upkeep. Furthermore, you would have to water the plants regularly and clean the enclosure periodically.
So the ease of setup and maintenance is also something to keep in mind before picking the best plant terrarium for your home.
Look for a model that is easy to assemble, clean and maintain with minimal tools and comes with easy-to-follow instructions for setting it up. You can generally get this information from the video reviews and Q&A section of a specific model.
Popular terrarium manufacturers such as NCYP, H Potter and Mkono provide a variety of options, so you can pick one which is easiest for you to maintain for you.
Additional factors and considerations
In addition to the four major factors discussed above, there are a couple of other considerations that can make a particular plant terrarium a more attractive choice than others.
One of these additional factors is the accessories, if any, that come with the terrarium. Though most of the options that we listed do not include any additional items, some terrarium kit options such as the TerraGreen Creations Complete Terrarium Kit and Bliss Gardens Air Plant Terrarium Kit come with all the items you would need to build a basic plant terrarium, along with easy-to-follow instruction manuals. So, if you do not want to hunt for all the items yourself, these terrarium kits are an excellent option to check out. Other manufacturers such as H Potter do offer their own starter kits that can be purchased separately.
The color combination of the frame and stand is also something to look out for. Many of the options that we listed are available in multiple colors – silver, black, golden, white etc. so you can pick a terrarium that compliments your room décor.
Last but not the least, check out is the warranty and service support provided by the manufacturer. Most top brands such as MKono, H Potter, and TerraGreen Creations provide excellent warranties on their products, so you can purchase them without a lot of apprehensions on the quality and durability. A word of advice: to avail the full warranty support, always look for an authorized seller and register your purchase with the manufacturer.
Keep these other small considerations in mind before picking the best plant terrariums for yourself or as a gift for someone else.
Accessories for the plant terrariums
Once you get a terrarium, you would need to get the appropriate information and terrarium plant starter kit to get you started. Let us look at some of the best options for both of these accessories.
Best books for plant terrariums
Before you start your journey of setting up an indoor terrarium, you need a good beginner resource to guide you through the process. While listing all the best books for plant terrariums would be the topic of another article, here are some of the most popular ones to get you going:
- Terrariums – Gardens Under Glass: This Terrarium guide by best-selling author Maria Colletti is filled with twenty inspiring indoor terrarium designs with step-by-step to follow and learn from. The current edition was published in 2015 and available in both Kindle and Paperback.
- Terrarium Craft: Create 50 Magical, Miniature Worlds: This excellent beginner guide is authored by Amy Bryant Aiello and Kate Bryant and published in 2011. The book contains fifty original designs that you can re-create or take inspiration from. Available in both Paperback and Kindle.
- Terrarium: 33 Glass Gardens to Make Your Own: Another comprehensive terrarium designing guide by Anna Bauer and Noam Levy featuring 33 unique designs inspired by eco-systems around the world. The current edition was published in 2018 and the book is available in Hardcover and Kindle formats.
Best plant starter kits for terrariums
Once you have the terrarium in place, you would need to get the supplies to get started. Instead of opting for individual materials separately, you can consider getting a starter kit.
Some of the best soil-based and air plant kits to consider are:
- Plants for Pets Air Plant Variety Pack: Best-selling collection of 12 assorted Tillandsia air plants that can grow up to 8-10 inches tall. Comes with a spray bottle mister for water or fertilizer. 30-day health guarantee.
- H Potter Succulent Plant Terrarium Kit: An excellent succulent plant starter kit for cactus and other planters. Available in three sizes and comes in a gift box with canvas bags.
- Cute Farms Terrarium Starter Kit: Another popular starter kit that comes with Moss, Vermiculite, Soil, Pebbles, Plant food, and Finishing tools to get you started. Available in two sizes.
- TerraGreen Creations Succulent Planter Soil Kit: Organic soil planter kit designed for growing succulent plants or cactus. Made in the US and available in three sizes, suitable for all terrarium sizes.
Final thoughts on the best terrariums and terrarium kits for plants
A well-maintained plant terrarium is not only an excellent room decor, but also a perfect item to lift your health and mood. You can use these terrariums to grow soil-based plants, succulent plants or air plants. Both the types of terrariums are elegant, visually-pleasing and low maintenance.
In this article, we looked at some of the best terrariums and terrarium kits for growing plants. Our focus was on compact, small-size terrariums that are affordable and still give you enough playground to exhibit your indoor gardening skills.
We also listed some of the main factors to keep in mind before picking the best terrariums and also shared our top picks. Finally, we listed some starter kits and books that can make the task of setting up a plant terrarium even more convenient.
We hope that you found this article useful. You can use this article along with our articles on the best wall-mounted fish tanks and unique fish tanks and bowls to pick the best terrarium for yourself or someone else as a gift. Do let us know your feedback and questions by commenting below. Until next time, happy gardening your terrarium!