Proper hydration is extremely important for all pets and more so for dogs. Your pooch would typically need anywhere between 20 ounces to 100 ounces of water per day. To drink water, dogs need to gulp or scoop water using their tongues, making it a little more difficult to intake it than humans. And some dogs are sloppier than others in drinking water. They splash it all across the floor or drool it through their mouth and ears. If you are a pet parent of such a sloppy drinker, then all this would be sounding too familiar.
So, are there any splash-proof dog water bowls that can minimize the mess created by the pet? Is there a no-spill bowl that can reduce this dripping of water on the carpet or floor?
If you are someone faced with the above questions, then you are in the right place. In this article, we will list some of the best splash-proof dog water bowls available in the market to minimize the mess created by sloppy drinkers.
We will see all the different types of no-spill dog water bowls and splash-proof dog bowls and share our top picks. We will also discuss some of the major factors to keep in mind before picking the best no-spill dog water bowls. Read On!
Also, check out our article on the best dog slow feed dog bowl to help in slowing down the feeding time of your pooch.
Best splash-proof dog water bowl listSome of the best splash-proof dog water bowls and no-spill dog water bowls for sloppy drinkers are listed below:
|Slopper Stopper Dripless Water Bowl||S: 1.5”, 128 fl. oz.|
M: 2.15”, 128 fl. oz.
L: 2.75”, 128 fl. oz.
XL/G: 3.25”, 128 fl. oz.
XXL/MM: 3.75”, 128 fl. oz.
|Prestige Road Refresher No-spill Water Bowl||S: 20 fl. oz.|
L: 47 fl. oz.
XL: 54 fl. oz.
|Ray Allen K9 Buddy Bowl||S: 32 fl. oz.|
M: 44 fl.oz.
L: 64 fl. oz.
|Modern Artisans Ceramic Splash-Free Water Bowl||S: 24 fl. oz.|
L: 48 fl. oz.
|Vitalumos Splash-Free Dog Water Bowl||50 fl. oz.|
|Golden Wolf Less-Mess Pet Bowl||24 fl. oz.|
|Petmate No-spill Bowl||48 fl. oz.|
|Neater Feeder Deluxe Mess-Proof Elevated Bowl||S: 18 fl. oz. water bowl, 1.5 cup food bowl.|
M: 40 fl. oz. water bowl, 3.5 cup food bowl
L: 72 fl.oz. water bowl, 7.0 cup food bowl.
|Indipets Stainless-Steel Spill Proof Dog Water Bowl||S: 16 fl. oz.|
M: 32 fl.oz.
L: 64 fl. oz.
|Kurgo Wander Portable Splash-Free Dog Water Bowl||24 fl. oz.|
|Heyrex Torus Self-Filling Pet Water Bowl||M: 32 fl. oz.|
L: 64 fl. oz.
What are splash-proof or no-spill dog water bowls and how can they be helpful?
Splash-proof dog water bowl, or no-spill water bowls as they are also referred to, are specially-designed pet water bowls that help in achieving one or more of the following:
- Minimizing splashes due to sloppy drinking habits.
- Minimizing spills due to over-turning or flipping of bowls.
- Minimizing slobbering of water due to dripping off the face or ears.
Splash-proof dog water bowls are also sometimes known as dripless dog water bowls or spill-proof dog water bowls. There are essentially three different common types of designs of these mess-free dog water bowls. Many models tend to fall in more than one of these categories, meaning that they not only prevent spills, they also help in minimizing slobbering and splashing.
- No-spill or Spill-proof dog water bowls: These dog water bowls, as the name suggests, are specially-designed bowls that prevent spills due to flipping or over-turning of bowls. They generally have two or three-part construction with a water reservoir and a ring or lid to prevent the water in the bowl from spilling when the bowl is tipped over. Different bowls offer different levels of protection from spillage. Prestige Road Refresher No-spill Water Bowl and Ray Allen K9 Buddy Bowl are two popular examples of no-spill dog water bowls.
- Splash-proof dog water bowls: These dog water bowls are special bowls that dispense water in a way that a sloppy drinker gets minimum opportunity to splash and drip the water around while drinking it. They achieve this either by limiting the size of the opening through with the pet can access the water or by limiting the amount of water dispensed at one time. Slopper Stopper Dripless Water Bowl and Vitalumos Splash-Free Dog Water Bowl are two examples of splash-proof dog water bowls.
- Splash-controlling stations and mats: These drinking stations and mats are designed to prevent the splashed or spilled water from spreading to the floor. These splash-catching solutions can be used with standard, no-spill or splash-proof dog water bowls to control the mess created by the pet. Some of them even work with food – both dry and wet kibble. Neater Feeder Deluxe Mess-Proof Elevated Bowl is one example of splash-controlling feeding stations.
From the above discussion, it is clear that you have a bunch of options for splash or spill-proof dog water bowls and you can pick the best design based on your preferences.
The exact choice of the type of spill-proof or splash-proof dog water bowl would essentially depend upon your dog’s breed – snouted or flat-faced; big-eared or normal; furry or without fur etc., size and drinking habits. It is also worthwhile to mention that no dog water bowl can be expected to get rid of all the spills and splashes – most solutions help in reducing spillage and dripping by up to 50-80%.
To summarize, the major pros and cons associated with spill and splash-proof dog water bowls are summarized below.
Now let us look at some of the best splash-proof and no-spill dog water bowls available in the market for sloppy drinkers!
Which are the best splash-proof dog water bowls for sloppy drinkers?
Material: Stainless-steel water bowl with bead-blasted interior finish and BPA-free, Eastman Tritan Copolyester plastic lid.
Size and Capacity:
- 128 fl. oz., 9.84” x 9.84” x 4.19”, 2.9 lbs. bowl.
- Small: 66” x 1.5” opening.
- Medium: 1.39” x 2.15” opening.
- Large: 1.99” x 2.75” opening.
- X-Large/Giant: 2.37” x 3.25” opening.
- XX-Large/Mammoth: 2.85” x 3.75” opening.
Suitable For: All dog breeds. May work for some large cats. Also works well for travel and a dog slow water bowl.
- Best-selling splash and spill-proof dog water bowl featuring a stainless-steel bowl and a BPA-free Eastman Tritan plastic lid (same material as used in Nalgene water bottles). Made in China under US-based company’s quality control measures.
- Unique, patented design that allows limited, mess-free access to the dog to lap-up the water with its tongue. The water in the lid automatically replenishes and stays at that 0.5” inch level.
- Helps in reducing spills and dripping through face, ears, and beards by up to 85%. Also helps in slowing down the drinking time by up to 50%.
- Requires some familiarization and has a break-in period of 2-3 weeks to see maximum results.
- Easy to clean and all parts are dishwasher-safe in the top shelf. But it is recommended to wash with hands for a thorough cleanup.
- Available in five sizes suitable for all dogs – both snouted and flat-faced. Costlier than most other splash-proof dog bowls (just under 50 USD), but you get what you pay for.
- Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment and replacement warranty by the manufacturer. Replacement lids and accessories are available directly from the manufacturer’s website.
The best-selling Slopper Stopper Dripless Water Bowl is a perfect dog water bowl if you have one or more sloppy drinker dogs who love to make a mess around the house. Designed by a Florida-based veterinarian after years of research, the latest Deluxe model is an excellent product catering to dogs of all shapes and sizes.
The latest Slopper Stopper Dripless Water Bowl features a stainless-steel water bowl with an ingenious lid on the top of it. The lid is now made of BPA-free, Eastman Tritan Copolyester plastic, which is the same material as used in Nalgene and other plastic water bottles. It is completely non-toxic and extremely durable. All the different sizes of bowls feature the same 1-gallon stainless-steel bowl with variations in the internal opening sizes only. This means that you can use the same bowl and different lids (sold separately through the manufacturer’s website) to cater to pets of different sizes.
The earlier models of the same bowl featured a plastic container and a plastic lid and were available only in a single size, so the latest models are a major improvement. The Slopper Stopper water bowls are made in China under the US-based company’s quality control measures.
The lid of the Slopper Stopper Deluxe water bowl has a unique, patented design that allows limited, mess-free access to the dog to lap-up the water with its tongue. The lid automatically replenishes the water, which always stays at the same – 0.5″ level. The latest model has removed the rubber filling valve which was a major source of failure due to chewing by pets. Instead, it now allows you to fill the water by simply removing the lid. This innovative design helps in reducing splashes, spills and dripping through the ears, beard, snout, faces and feet by up to 80-90%.
The bowl also works extremely well as a slow drinking dog bowl and can reduce the drinking speed by up to 50%. This is a major benefit for dog owners who are worried about excessively fast gulping and then vomiting by their canines. Another benefit that we saw with this bowl is that it is designed in a way that a cat cannot easily slobber around with your dog’s water bowl – only an extra-large cat would be able to make a mess of water out of it. This is a major advantage if you are a multi-pet owner having both cat and dog.
The only major challenge with the design of the Slopper Stopper is that it requires some familiarization and while most dogs can pick-up the use, some pets would take about 2-3 weeks of break-in period to see maximum results. This is not a deal-breaker and if you follow the instructions by the manufacturer, the chances are your Fido would get comfortable with the bowl in less than a week.
The Slopper Stopper water bowl is available in five sizes and the manufacturer provides a sizing chart and instructions on how to pick one with the right size. Make sure you follow the recommendations completely before picking the best size for your pet. For any doubts and questions, you can reach out the customer service for help.
The Slopper Stopper Dripless Water Bowl is backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment and replacement warranty by the manufacturer. Replacement lids and accessories such as elevated stand are also available directly from the manufacturer’s website.
Material: BPA-free, non-toxic, toughened polypropylene plastic bowl and lid. Velcro pads and additional fixing pads on the base for stability on almost all surfaces.
Size and Capacity:
- Small: 20 fl. oz.; 7.5″ x 7.5″ x 3.0″, 0.8 lbs.
- Large: 47 fl. oz.; 9.0″ x 9.0″ x 3.5″, 1.0 lbs.
- XLarge: 54 fl. oz.; 9.5″ x 9.5″ x 4.0″, 1.12 lbs.
Suitable For: Small, medium and large dogs and all cats, especially flat-faced breeds. Also works for all types of travel.
- Innovative, award-winning spill-proof pet water bowl made of BPA-free, heat-resistant plastic. Designed and made in the UK.
- Patented design with a three-part construction – the tapered water bowl, a floating plate and a no-spill border rim. Can be easily dismantled and is dishwasher-safe in the top rack.
- One of the first manufacturers to implement the self-replenishing design which allows a steady flow of water at all times but restricts the flow whenever there is a surge of water from cornering, braking, kicking and so on.
- The unique design also helps in reducing slobbering by up to 70-90% by keeping the pet’s ears and beards out of water.
- The covered design also minimizes evaporation and contamination by reducing exposure to dust, dirt and insects.
- Has a Velcro base to fix the bowl on carpets, and additional safe fixing pads for fixing the water bowl to most other surfaces
- Available in two sizes and five elegant color combinations. Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer.
The award-winning Prestige Road Refresher No-spill Water Bowl is one of the first dog water bowls that implemented the no-spill, self-replenishing design. Since then, this spill and splash-proof dog water bowl has been one of the most popular mess-free water bowls for domestic and travel around the world. And there is a good reason for that. In fact, the “Road Refresher” brand name is so popular, you will see some knock-off brands offering their own “Road Refresher” models. You would need to ensure that you always opt for the “Prestige Road Refresher Bowl”.
The Prestige Road Refresher No-spill Water Bowl features a three-part construction with a tapered dog water bowl as the base, a floating disc in the middle and a spill-proof border rim on the top. All the parts are made of dishwasher-safe, BPA-free, non-toxic, toughened polypropylene plastic that is durable, safe and heat-resistant. The tapered design provides a steady, stable base for the bowl. The bowl is designed and assembled in the UK.
What makes the Prestige Road Refresher No-spill Water Bowl a winner over other spill-proof dog water bowls is its ingenious design that ensures a steady flow of water in the drinking basin at all times but restricts the flow whenever there is a sudden movement and surge of water from cornering, braking or toppling by the pet. The design can reduce slobbering by up to 70-90% by keeping pet’s ears and beards out of water.
This design also means that it not only helps in managing splashes but also makes the bowl relatively spill-proof – a perfect feature for travels. It even have a Velcro base to fix the bowl on carpets, and additional safe fixing pads for fixing the water bowl to most other surfaces. And covered floating disc limits the water level in the drinking basin, thereby also minimizing contamination and evaporation.
The Prestige Road Refresher bowl is available in three sizes with a capacity of 22 fl.oz., 47 fl.oz. or 54 fl.oz. and weighs 0.8 lbs., 1.0 lbs. and 1.12 lbs. respectively. We feel it would be nicer to have a 64 fl.oz. model as well for extra-large and giant dog breeds. It is easy to clean, and all parts are dishwasher-safe in the top rack, though we recommend you clean it thoroughly by hand at least once a month or so.
The bowl is available in five bright color combinations (Pink color – Small and Cream color – Small available here) and backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer. If you face any problem with your bowl, you can always reach out to the customer service for a replacement.
Material: BPA-free, non-toxic polyethylene plastic bowl and lid.
Size and Capacity:
- Small: 32 fl. oz.; 8.5″ x 8.0″ x 4.0″, 0.9 lbs.
- Medium: 44 fl. oz. 9.9″ x 9.0″ x 5.0″, 1.1 lbs.
- Large: 64 fl. oz.; 11″ x 10.5″ x 5.0″, 1.6 lbs.
Suitable For: Small, medium and large dogs and all cats, especially snouted breeds. Also works well in cars.
Price: $$ to $$$ depending upon the size.
- High-quality, spill-proof dog water bowl with a BPA-free, non-toxic polyethylene plastic construction. Made in the US.
- Best-in-class no-spill design with a plastic lid that minimizes spills even if the bowl is turned upside-down. However, does not come with an anti-skid rubber gasket.
- The spill-proof lid also helps in minimizing evaporation and contamination of water from dust and dirt.
- Easy to clean – both the lid and bowl are dishwasher-safe in the top rack. Most people find opening the lid a challenge (you can use hot water to make it a little easier).
- Available in three sizes and three colors – black, coyote and white. Backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty.
Material: Non-toxic, natural ceramic/porcelain with food-safe white glaze paint.
Size and Capacity:
- Small: 24 fl. oz.; 6.75″ x 6.75″ x 2.5″, 2.0 lbs.
- Large: 48 fl. oz.; 9.0″ x 9.0″ x 3.0″, 4.0 lbs.
Suitable For: Small, medium and large dogs and some cats. Most suitable for domestic use only.
Price: $$$ to $$$$ depending upon the size.
- Ingenious ceramic spill and splash-proof dog water bowl made of natural stoneware clay with lead-free, food-grade white glaze paint. Handcrafted in North Carolina, USA.
- Features a wide inverted-curve rim that helps in reducing spills and splashes, while the sturdy, heavy build prevents the bowl from toppling.
- Designed to be scratch-resistant and chip-resistant and last a long time.
- Easy to clean and dishwasher-safe. Has three decorative rain holes on the rim to drain water after cleaning.
- Available in a single standard color and backed by a 30-day, hassle-free returns policy.
- The manufacturer runs the “Crafting a Better Tomorrow” program that donates a minimum of 1% of profits to non-profit organizations.
Material: BPA-free ABS plastic bowl and disc with anti-slip rubberized legs.
Size and Capacity: 50 fl. oz; 8.9″ X 7.3” X 3.2″, 1.3 lbs.
Suitable For: Small and medium/large dogs and all cats, especially flat-faced breeds. Also works for car travel.
- Uniquely-designed, splash-proof pet water bowl made of BPA-free ABS plastic. Made in China.
- Features an innovative 3-piece, welded disc design that consists of a water bowl, a fixed border and a floating disc.
- The self-adjusting disc automatically replenishes the water in the basin through an opening, minimizing splashes and spills. The covered design also minimizes evaporation and exposure to dust and dirt.
- Easy to clean and dishwasher-safe. However, removing all the parts may require some effort.
- Features a non-skid base with rubberized legs.
- Available in a single white-grey color combination and backed by a 60-day money back guarantee by the manufacturer.
Material: BPA-free polypropylene plastic bowl and rubber base gasket.
Size and Capacity: 24 fl. oz; 6.5″ X 6.5” X 3.0″, 0.5 lbs.
Suitable For: Small and medium dogs and all cats, especially flat-faced breeds. Also works as a food dish.
- Multi-purpose, dripless dog water bowl with a BPA-free plastic construction. Made in China.
- Features a special floating disc with a hole that controls the flow of water to the filling station, forcing the pet to drink slower with fewer splashes.
- Unique wide drinking surface works well for all pets, including flat-faced breeds.
- Has a non-skid bottom with a rubber gasket to prevent toss-up and spills during travel.
- Also helps in keeping the water fresh by restricting exposure to dust, dirt and insects.
- Available in two colors – pink and blue. Backed by a 30-day money back guarantee and a one-year free-replacement warranty.
Material: BPA-free plastic bowl.
Size and Capacity: 48 fl. oz; 8.25″ X 8.25” X 2.25″, 0.5 lbs.
Suitable For: Small and medium dogs and most cats. Also suitable for use in cars and during travel.
- Budget, no-spill dog water bowl made of BPA-free plastic. Made in the US and marketed by Doskocil Petmate.
- 25″ inner diameter with 4″ wide opening works for most dogs and all cats.
- Designed to minimize spills by 50-60% even when inverted. But does not have a non-skid base.
- Easy to clean. The splash guard is removable, and both the bowl and guard are dishwasher-safe in the top rack.
- Available in a single blue-grey color combination. Competitively priced at well under 10 USD.
Material: Stainless-steel bowls with BPA-free recyclable polypropylene plastic feeding station.
Size and Capacity:
- Small: 18 fl. oz. water bowl, 1.5 cup food bowl; 14.0″ x 9.0″ x 6″, 2.2 lbs.
- Medium: 40 fl. oz. water bowl, 3.5 cup food bowl; 18.0″ x 11.0″ x 10.0″, 3.65 lbs.
- Large: 72 fl.oz. water bowl, 7.0 cup food bowl; 21.0″ x 13.0″ x 14.5″, 6 lbs.
Suitable For: Small, medium and large dog breeds and all cats. Suitable for household use as a water and dry/wet food station.
Price: $$$ to $$$$ depending upon the size.
- Innovative pet feeding and drinking station featuring stainless steel bowls and a BPA-free, plastic protective station. Bowls are made in India and the feeding station is made in the US.
- Revolutionary system is designed to minimize the mess by letting the spilled food collect in an upper reservoir and water flow down to a lower reservoir through a filtering system.
- Spilled food and water are collected separately. Leftover food and water can be reused, thereby minimizing wastage.
- Elevated design improves comfort and digestion. The feeding height varies from 3″ for small to 8″ for the large feeder. Compatible with Neater Feeder leg extensions sold separately.
- Non-skid rubber feet prevent accidental movement while feeding/drinking. Work for all dogs and cats.
- Easy to clean. All parts are dishwasher-safe in the top rack.
- Available in three sizes and six attractive color combinations. Backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty.
Material: Stainless-steel bowl with a removable ring. Non-skid rubber base.
Size and Capacity:
- Small: 16 fl.oz.; 7.7″ x 7.7″ x 2.2″, 0.4 lbs.
- Medium: 32 fl.oz.; 9.0″ x 9.0″ x 2.5″, 0.6 lbs.
- Large: 64 fl. oz.; 6″ x 10.6″ x 3.1″, 0.8 lbs.
Suitable For: Small, medium and large dog breeds and all cats. Works for water and wet food.
Price: $ to $$ depending upon the size.
- Splash-free non-tip dog water dish with an all-metal, food-grade stainless-steel bowl and lip and a non-skid rubber base. Made in India for the US-based company.
- Innovative design features a removable steel ring that fits onto the top of the dish to reduce spills and splashes. Works for water as well as wet food and for dogs as well as cats.
- A wide non-skid rubber gasket on the base prevents the bowl from moving when in use. Also features a grip handle on the side for easy pick-up.
- Chew-proof, scratch-resistant and easy to clean. The bowl and ring are dishwasher-safe (the rubber gasket on the base is not).
- Available in a metallic glossy finish and backed by a six-month 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer.
Material: Food-grade silicone bowl. Collapsible.
Size and Capacity: 24 fl. oz.; 7.3/6.0” x 7.3/6.0” x 2.75”/2.0”, 0.5 lbs.
Suitable For: Small, medium and large dog breeds and all cats. Also suitable for travel.
- Portable dog bowl made of high-quality food-grade silicone with a collapsible design suitable for travel.
- Unique tapered lip helps in reducing spilling and splashing. For minimal spills, recommended to fill only until half.
- Features a wedge design that ensures the bowl lays flat on the car seat while traveling.
- Collapses to a small size and easy to clean. Dishwasher-safe.
- Suitable for all dog breeds and cats too. Also works for dry kibble.
- Available in a single size and coastal blue color and backed by a hassle-free Kurgo Lifetime warranty against manufacturer defects.
Material: BPA-free plastic body with a rubberized liner insulation on the interiors. Plastic flow valve.
Size and Capacity:
- Medium: 32 fl. oz.; 9.0” x 7.5” x 4.0”, 1.76 lbs.
- Large: 64 fl. oz.; 0” x 11.0” x 4.0”, 2.38 lbs.
Suitable For: Medium to large/x-large dog breeds. Also suitable for travel.
- Sleek, beautifully-designed dog water bowl made of food-grade BPA-free plastic with rubberized insulation. Designed in New Zealand and made in China under certified supervision.
- Relies on gravity to automatically dispense water at a low water profile, so no-spills or splashes. No batteries or power required.
- Equipped with a carbon activated filter to remove dissolved impurities. One filter lasts a full month.
- Travel-friendly and comes with 5 additional filters as a bonus.
- Available in two sizes – 2 liters (0.5 gallons) and 1 liter (0.25 gallons) capacity and six vibrant colors.
- Backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty.
Additional Options and Accessories
The splash-proof dog water bowls and no-spill bowls that we listed above would help in minimizing the mess created by drooling, splashing and spilling the water to a great extent. But, unfortunately, there is no dog water bowl that can guarantee to eliminate it completely.
One way by which you can further reduce this mess is to use waterproof dog food mats. These mats can prevent splashes and catch spills created by the sloppy drinkers. You can use them with standard dog water bowls and they also work equally well with dog food bowls and feeding stations.
Some of the best dog mats to catch the splashes and spills and minimize the mess are listed below:
- Loving Pets Bella Spill-Proof Pet Mat: Best-selling dog mat to minimize spills and splashes. Made of BPA-free plastic and available in two colors and two sizes.
- Reopet Silicone Dog Bowl Mat: Waterproof dog bowl mat made of FDA-approved silicone. Raised rims help in containing the mess. Available in six different color combinations.
- Hoki Found Silicone Dog Mat: Another popular silicone dog food mat with a raised outer lip to prevent spills and splashes. Large 18.7″ x 11.8″ size and available in four colors.
How to pick the best splash-proof dog water bowl or no-spill dog bowl?
With so many different designs and models of splash-proof or no-spill dog water bowls in the market, picking the best splash-proof dog water bowl for your pooch can be a challenging task.
Once you have decided upon the broad budget, you can consider the following major factors before picking the best splash-proof dog water bowl for your pet or pets:
- Purpose and type of the bowl
- Building material and design
- Size and capacity
- Ease of refilling and cleaning
- Additional factors and considerations
Purpose and type of the bowl
Before you pick the best splash-proof dog water bowl, you would need to think about the primary purpose for which you are seeking such a water dispenser. Your primary purpose would essentially govern the type of no-spill or splash-proof pet water bowl you should opt for.
If you have a furry pet like a Shih Tzu, Mastiff or a Yorkie or one with large ears like a Beagle, who ends up making a mess because of the hair on the face or the ears getting wet, then you need a splash-proof bowl that limits the water in the drinking basin and prevents the ears, and beards from dripping in water – Vitalumos Splash-Free Dog Water Bowl is an excellent example of such a bowl.
On the other hand, if you have a large dog breed who tends to over-turn or trip the bowl, then you need a no-spill bowl like the Ray Allen K9 Buddy Bowl, which can prevent the spillage even when flipped or turned upside down.
And if you need a combination of non-spilling and splash-proof dog water bowls, then you would need to pick something like the Prestige Road Refresher No-spill Water Bowl, which combine the features of a no-spill bowl with a splash-proof dog water bowl.
The shape of the facial features of the pet – snouted vs flat-faced is also something you would need to take into account before deciding the type of splash-proof or no-spill dog water bowl you should opt for. You can generally get an idea of this from the Q&A section, reviews and introductory videos of the bowl.
Furthermore, if your preference is a bowl or feeding which is versatile enough to be used for feeding – dry or wet kibble as well as hydration, then something like the Neater Feeder Deluxe Mess-Proof Elevated Bowl would be an excellent choice.
Finally, if you need a water bowl that is also suitable for use in a running vehicle, then you would need to pick a no-spill bowl with an anti-skid base that maintains its balance even during movement. And if such a bowl can be collapsed to a small size such as the Kurgo Wander Portable Splash-Free Dog Water Bowl, it would be a big plus.
So, depending upon your primary purpose and requirements, you can zero in on the type of splash-proof dog water bowl you would like to opt for. If you have difficulty deciding on the best option, we recommend you pick one of our top recommendations. You would not be too disappointed with your choice.
It is also worthwhile to mention that some splash-proof dog water bowls do require some effort on your part to train the pet to use it. This is not very difficult, but still something you have to keep in mind before leaving your pet alone with such a dispenser.
Building material and design
Stainless-steel dog water bowls are made of brushed or glossed stainless-steel. In order to provide the stability, some water bowls have a rubber ring is fitted to the base. This rubber gasket is removable and should be removed before putting the bowl in the dishwasher. Stainless steel splash-proof dog water bowls are relatively safe to use as there are no chances of leaching of plastic chemicals. Moreover, stainless-steel bowls do not have mold or mildew build up and hence are odor-free. They are also relatively chew-proof because of the glossy finish.
All the plastic splash-proof dog water bowls that we have listed are made of high-quality BPA, PVC, and Phthalate-free plastic materials. They are also dishwasher-safe (top shelf) and are extremely durable while being relatively lightweight. While some people may have reservations about plastic, our take is that PTA approved, chemical free plastic is a safe material to use for your pets as long as you are careful about accidental ingestion and keep cleaning it periodically. The only situation in which you should avoid using a plastic spill-proof dog water bowl is if you have an aggressive chewer pet who likes to chew upon anything and everything.
Silicone bowls are lightweight and safe as silicone is one of the most chemically-inert compounds out there. Such bowls are pretty portable too. You can simply fold them, put them in your dog’s kit and then take it anywhere.
Finally, some manufacturers have even introduced ceramic splash-proof dog water bowls. Ceramic dog water bowls are durable, safe and more stable because of their heavier weight. Moreover, they are elegant looking, keep the contents relatively cool, and are dishwasher and microwave safe. They are also chew-proof and perfect for aggressive dogs. They are, however, costlier than stainless steel or plastic slow feed dog bowls and because of the heavier weight, not very suitable for travel.
Check the considerations around the building material of the bowl and associated parts in mind before picking the best splash-proof dog water bowl or no-spill dog water bowl for your beloved canine.
Size and capacity
The size and capacity of the dog water bowl is another factor to consider before picking the best splash-proof dog water bowl for your beloved pet.
Both cats and dogs need proper hydration to stay active, healthy and free from complications such as kidney stones, diabetes and stomach ailments. Dogs typically need 0.5 to 1 ounce of water per pound of body weight per day – meaning that an adult pet would need anywhere from 20 to 100 ounces of water every day, while a puppy would need 8-20 ounces of water.
While you can always refill the water bowl, you still need to ensure that the bowl or drinking station is big enough for the canine to have immediate access to the water. Any dog water bowl which less than 24 fl. ounces is just too small for dogs, though it may still work for cats.
Closely related to the capacity of the pet fountain is the size of the drinking station, bowl or basin. Ensure you pick a dog water bowl that has a big enough drinking basin for your pet to drink easily from it without making a mess.
Ease of refilling and cleaning
Another vital consideration to check is the ease of cleaning and refilling. Splash-proof dog water bowls and no-spill dog bowls have multiple parts such as lids and floating discs to manage the spillage and flow of water, you would need to remove them in order to refill and clean the bowl properly.
Some options are easier than others to disassemble and reassemble, while others considerable force to remove the lid. Our top pick – the Slopper Stopper Dripless Water Bowl is our favorite as it is extremely easy to dismantle, clean and reassemble again.
Most of the options that we listed are dishwasher-safe, but we still recommend washing them with hands at least once a week to prevent any mold or mildew build-up in nooks and crannies.
Check the ease of dismantling and reassembling the bowl before zeroing in on the best splash-proof dog water bowl for your canine.
Additional factors and considerations
In addition to the major factors discussed above, there are a few miscellaneous additional considerations that can make a specific no-spill dog water bowl a better choice over others.
One such factor is the colors in which a particular bowl is available in. While some options are available only in a single color combination, water bowls such as Prestige Road Refresher No-spill Water Bowl are available in a bunch of bright colors and you can pick the most suitable color that fits your pet’s personality.
The availability of additional accessories such as stands, and elevation legs and replacement parts is also something that you can look out for.
The warranty and post-purchase customer service support offered on the product by the manufacturer are one of the most important additional considerations to look at. the Kurgo Wander Portable Splash-Free Dog Water Bowl and Slopper Stopper Dripless Water Bowl score big in this category as they both are backed by a lifetime replacement warranty. Other manufacturers such as Neater Feeder and Golden Wolf offer excellent one-year warranties on their products, making them suitable choices as well. Just make sure you make your purchase only from the manufacturers and authorized resellers to ensure that you get the genuine product and not a knock-off. Any product that is shipped from overseas and takes more than a couple of weeks to arrive is probably not an original product.
Keep these small considerations in mind as well before picking the best splash-proof or no-spill dog water bowl for your needs.
Final thoughts on the best splash-proof dog water bowls for sloppy drinkers
In order to stay healthy and active, dogs need an average of 0.6 to 1 fl. oz. of water per pound of body weight per day. Access to clean, fresh water becomes more important in summers and in case your pet is primarily on a dry-food diet. However, one of the major challenges with using standard dog water bowls is that they do not help in reducing the splashing and spilling of water. And if your pet is a sloppy drinker who likes to drool and drip water everywhere, then this problem becomes a real issue.
In this article, we looked at some of the best splash-proof dog water bowls and no-spill dog bowls available in the market to help in reducing the mess created by the sloppy drinker. We looked at the different types of no-spill dog water bowls you can consider, the factors to keep in mind before picking the best splash-proof dog water bowl and also shared our top picks. Most of the pet water bowls that we listed would also work well for cats, and farm animals like goats and sheep.
We hope that you found this article useful and it would help you in picking the best splash-proof dog water bowl for your beloved pooch. Do let us know your feedback and questions by commenting below. Until next time, have a happy time with your Fido!