Best wall mounted fish tanks to buy (2021)
Fish as pets is one of the best hobbies to have. But what if you are looking for a small fish bowl but are hard pressed for a desk space? Wouldn’t it nice to have an attention-grabbing wall decor filled with live aquatic plants or fish? Wall mounted fish tanks aim at achieving exactly that. Just like wall mounted televisions, these fish tanks can be easily fitted to the wall.
In this article, we will look at some of the best wall mounted fish tanks available in the market. We will primarily focus on small capacity, nanobubble fish bowls and aquariums and not the improvised larger wall aquariums, which are better off to be purchased in person rather than online. We will summarize the major pros and cons associated with these types of fish tanks and list out the major factors to consider while picking the most suitable options for your home or office. We will also share our favorite picks for wall mounted fish bowls.
Do not forget to check out our article on the best fish tanks and aquariums to look at some of the best standard fish tanks and aquariums available online.
And if cleaning fish tanks puts you off, why not read our post on some of the best self-cleaning fish tanks and buy one that you like.
Best wall mounted fish tanks listSome of the best wall mounted fish bowls and aquariums available in the market are listed below:
|Picture||Product||Capacity & Size||Features|
|Sweetsea Hanging Wall Mounted Fish Bowl||0.5 gal; 9” x 9” x 4”|
1 gal: 11.6” x 11.6” x 5”
|- High-quality fish bowl with a transparent heavy-duty acrylic construction.|
- Available in two shapes and sizes suitable for a single small betta and/or aquatic plant. Décor or plants are not included.
- Comes with one long nail and one U-nail for easy installation.
|Aussie Aquarium Skyline Wall Mounted Aquarium||5 gal: 35.4" x 17.5" x 4.5"||- High-end, "true" wall-mounted aquarium with glass lid and double-panel aluminum frame. Designed in Australia and marketed by Vandue corporation.|
- Comes with submersible multi-stage aquarium filter, multiple backgrounds and LED lighting fixture along with other accessories.
- Weighs 35-40 lbs. and comes with wall mounting brackets for easy installation.
- Backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty.
|Fish Bubbles Wall Mounted Fish Bowl||0.8 gal: 10” x 10” x 5.5”||- Standard wall mounted fish bowl made of acrylic.|
- Lightweight- 2 lbs. with water.
- Easy to mount but some sellers do not include mounting nails.
|Fish Bubbles Mirrored Wall Mounted Fish Bowl||1.0 gal: 12.6” x 12.6” x 4”||- Elegant looking wall mounted fish bowl with an acrylic tank.|
- Has a particle board on the outside having a brushed-aluminum sticker for unique looks.
- Comes with a replaceable background picture and installation nails.
|Outgeek Wall Fish Bubble Bowl||0.5 gal; 9” x 9” x 4”|
0.75 gal: 9.4” x 9.4” x 4.8”
|- High quality clear acrylic bubble bowl construction. |
- Available in standard bubble bowl shape and two sizes. Suitable for a single small betta, snail or shrimp and/or aquatic plant. Décor or plants are not included.
- Comes with the bowl and installation nails.
|PRUGNA Wall Mounted Fish Tank||1.0 gal: 11.5” x 11.5” x 5.2”||- High-quality acrylic bubble bowl with clear viewing surface.|
- Wide opening on top for aquatic plant. Fish and plant not included.
- Comes with some small colored stones and a false weed for decoration. A hanging screw is also included.
- Backed by a 30-day satisfaction guaranteed commitment.
|KAZE Home Wall Mounted Fish Tank||1.0 gal: 11.3” x 10.2” x 4.5”||- Acrylic wall mounted fish tank available in four elegant shapes – heart, star, puzzle and hemisphere.|
- Good quality, scratch-free acrylic construction.
- Hooks, plants and decorations are not included.
|KollerCraft Betta Picture Frame Aquarium||0.75 gal: 13.75” x 9.5” x 3.25”||- Unique, picture frame aquarium for betta fish. Can be wall mounted or set on a desk.|
- Made of high-quality plastic with a matte black frame.
- Comes with 7-setting LED lights which can be powered by 2-batteries or power outlet.
- Includes free samples of API water conditioner and API betta feed.
- Backed by a two-year warranty.
|Sol Pixie Dust Wall Mounted Fish Aquarium||0.6 gal: 8" x 6.8" x 2.5"|
1.5 gal: 12" x 10" x 3"
3 gal: 14.5" x 12.3" x 4"
|- High-end handmade wall mounted aquarium with an acrylic surface.|
- Unique fish-shaped design with matte-finished black frame.
- Available in three sizes for a single or multiple fish.
- Handcrafted in Cyprus.
|Aquavista Betta Fish Clock Aquarium||1.5 gal: 11.5” x 11.5” x 5”||- A unique clock-plus-aquarium featuring a plastic tank that can be fitted on the wall. |
- Installation fittings are not included.
- Covered tank with a small opening to feed the fish. The top cover is removable for cleaning.
- Suitable for a single betta or tetra fish.
What is a wall mounted fish tank?
A wall mounted fish tank (or wall mounted fishbowl) is exactly what its name suggests – a small 0.5-1 gallon fish tank or bubble bowl that can be affixed on the wall and act as a living decor with a fish, aquatic plant or simply a water bed display. Since the tank is wall mounted, such a fish tank does not require additional desk space and forms an elegant, modern looking decoration. However, because of the small size of a bubble fish bowl, they are suitable only for a single small/fry fish or just as an aquatic decor.
The major positives and negatives associated with wall mounted fish aquariums are summarized below:
- Wall mounting provides saving of space. Perfect for people without an additional desk or table space.
- Wall mounting keeps the tank away from the reach of inquisitive pets and toddlers.
- Elegant looking wall decoration gives a sophisticated look to the room. Acts as a great conversation piece.
- Because of the aggregate weight of the tank, water and additional items, a wall mounted fish tank needs a solid wall to mount the tank on.
- Small size means that it is suitable for only a single small/tiny fry fish or just an aquatic plant.
- There are limited provisions for lighting, filters, heaters etc.
- Cleaning the fish tank can be a hassle.
As you can see from the discussion above, a wall mounted fish tank or bowl is suitable only in specific conditions. We would recommend to use it only for a small betta or fry fish and preferably for an aquatic plant or just a sea-bed décor with colorful sand and marbles.
In the next sections, we will look at the factors to consider while picking the best wall mounted fish bowl and share our top picks.
How to pick the best wall mounted fish tank or bowl?
In addition to the budget, there are a few factors to consider before picking the best wall mounted fish tank or bowl for yourself. These factors are discussed below:
- Size of the fish tank
- Construction material and design
- Installation and maintenance requirements
- Additional accessories and considerations
Size of the fish tank
The size (and associated shape) of the fish tank is one of the first things to consider while picking the most suitable wall mounted fish tank.
The first factor is the overall weight of the fish tank. While most wall mounted fish tanks are small and lightweight, you would have to account for the weight of water, gravel, and other accessories in the tank to evaluate the overall weight to be supported. Considering the fact that most walls nowadays are drywall, you need to make sure that the wall and aquarium support structure is capable of handling the weight of the fish tank.
Another competing factor is the surface area available for the fish to thrive in. Wall mounted fish bowls with a size of 0.5-0.8 gallons have an overall width of around 4-5 inches only, so you can keep only a small fish in it, with probably an aquatic plant.( as discussed in our article on betta fish tanks, even the betta need a 2.0 gallon or larger tank)
If the size and support is not a constraint, consider picking a 1.0 gallon or larger wall mounted fish tank to keep fish in it. Sweetsea Hanging Wall Mounted Fish Bowl and PRUGNA Wall Mounted Fish Tank are a couple of 1.0 gallon high-quality fish bowls.
To summarize, pick a wall mounted fish bowl that is large enough to compliment the room decor and provides enough space for the fish to thrive in, without being too heavy on the wall.
Construction material and design
In order to keep their overall weight down, wall mounted fish tanks are made of acrylic or plastic.
Acrylic tanks provide clear visibility and are reasonably lightweight, scratch-free and much more durable than the plastic tanks. And because of their malleability, such tanks are available in different elegant designs. Plastic tanks are lighter and cheaper but tend to scratch easily. They would also require more frequent cleaning.
Some tanks such as KollerCraft Betta Picture Frame Aquarium also have a matte frame around them for a more elegant look, though that does add to the weight of the tank.
If you are willing to spend a few additional bucks, look at getting an acrylic wall mounted fish tank or bowl to ensure better durability.
Almost all wall mounted aquariums have an opening on the top for plant shoots and to add the fish feed. This also means that there are chances for the fish jumping out of the opening. To avoid that, you would need to get a suitable design with an opening that is relatively inaccessible to the fish, if you are going to add a fish to the tank.
Installation and Maintenance requirements
As a wall-mounted fish aquarium has to be affixed to the wall, the ease of installation and maintenance is also a major factor to consider.
It is a good idea to pick a model that comes with the installation setup – nails, struts or any other support, though you can always pick a suitable hanging nail from any hardware store.
Like other types of aquariums, wall mounted aquariums would also require periodic cleanup, especially if you have a fish in it. Outer surfaces can be cleaned easily with a surface cleaner, but to clean the interiors or change the water, you would have to unmount the tank and reinstall it after cleaning. To minimize these requirements, consider adding a water clarifier and gravel cleaner to the tank before adding a fish to it. And to change water, you can use a turkey baster to pump some water out and replace it with fresh, conditioned water.
Keep these installation and maintenance factors in mind before picking the best model. You can generally look at the reviews, videos and other instructional material to get a feel for how much care the fish tank would need.
Additional accessories and considerations
In addition to the major factors discussed above, there are a couple of other things that can sweeten the deal and make a model more attractive than others.
One such factor is the accessories that come with the fish tank. Most wall-mounted fish tanks come with the installation screws, while you would need to get such nails for other fish tanks. The PRUGNA Wall Mounted Fish Tank even includes some colored pebbles and a false decorative plant. Similarly, the KollerCraft Betta Picture Frame Aquarium comes with LED light fixtures and food and conditioner samples – a big plus indeed!
Keep these other small considerations in mind while picking the best wall mounted fish tank for your needs.
Which are the best wall mounted fish tanks and what our picks are?
Sweetsea Hanging Wall Mounted Fish Bowl review
Sweetsea Hanging Wall Mounted Fish Bowl is a decent quality wall mounted fish aquarium. It features heavy-duty, clear view acrylic fish tank that is scratch proof and durable. The outer surface is easy to clean with a soft cloth and glass surface or any other type of cleaner.
The Sweetsea fish bowl is available in two sizes – 0.5 gallons and 1.0 gallon. The 0.5-gallon tank has a width of around 4 inches and hence suitable for a decorative aquatic plant or only a small fish. The one- gallon tank has dimensions of 11.6″ x 11.6″ x 5″. The fishbowl has a wide opening on the top for the plant shoots.
The Sweetsea fish bowl comes with the installation nails – one U-nail and one long straight nail. However, decor, plants or gravel are not included with the bowl and you would have to purchase them separately.
- A standard wall mounted fish bowl made with high-quality acrylic. Durable and scratch resistant.
- Available in two sizes, suitable for a small fish, aquatic plant or just an ocean-bed décor.
- Comes with Installation accessories included.
- Costlier than some other wall mounted fish bowls of the same size.
Aussie Aquariums Skyline Wall Mounted Aquarium review
If you are looking for a “true” wall-mounted aquarium with an elegant look, 2+ gallons capacity and all features such as filtration and lighting, then the Aussie Aquariums offers the best options. Designed in Australia and marketed in the US by Vandue corporation, these wall mounted aquariums have gone through a major design revamp.
The Aussie Aquariums Skyline Wall Mounted Aquarium features a 5-gallon fish tank made of double-panel, aircraft-grade aluminum with a clear glass lid. At only 4.5 inches thick and 35.4″ x 17.5″ big, this improved 2.0 version is designed to provide an elegant look to any living room.
The Aussie Aquariums Skyline Aquarium comes with a submersible multi-stage aquarium filter with both bio-media and charcoal filtration. Low energy LED lighting system is also included to give your fish a thriving ecosystem. And that is not all – the aquarium comes with three marine backgrounds, a siphon cleaner, grabber tongs, fish net, and a custom-fit lid.
The aquarium weighs 34 lbs. and with water would weigh about 40 pounds. All the mounting brackets and installation hardware are included for easy installation. Its large size means that it is suitable for all types of freshwater fish.
The Aussie Aquariums Skyline Aquarium along with its pump and lighting system is backed by a one-year warranty against manufacturing defects. And if you are looking for some cheaper options, you can check out some other Aussie Aquariums Wall Mounted Fish Tank models available in both brushed and smooth finishes.
- High-quality, true wall-mounted fish tank with large 5-gallon capacity. Designed in Australia.
- Features double-panel aluminum frame with clear glass lid.
- Comes with a submersible two-stage filter, lighting system and three marine backgrounds. Installation hardware and mounting brackets.
- Backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty. Other models are also available from same manufacturer.
- Considerably costlier than cheap acrylic wall-mounted fish tanks, but you get what you pay for.
- Heavier than small fish tanks, so can be installed only on high weight-tolerance walls.
Fish Bubbles Wall Mounted Fish Bowl review
Fish Bubbles Wall Mounted Fish Bowl is another popular fish bowl. This fish bowl also features an acrylic tank which is not as thick as some other costlier models but is still pretty durable. Lighter weight means that it is easier to take down for cleaning.
The Fish Bubbles bowl is 10-inch high but has a wider 5.5-inch width. Shorter height and opening on the top means that you would need to be wary of the fish jumping out of the tank if it is not covered or planted.
Mounting this fish bowl on a wall is easy, though some people have complained about the mounting screws not included with the package. You can check this with the seller before purchasing.
- Standard wall mounted aquarium with an acrylic fish tank.
- Lightweight yet durable. Suitable for a single small betta fish or an aquatic plant.
- Competitively priced.
- Small size makes it suitable only for one small fish.
- Mounting nails are not included.
Cleaning your wall mounted fish tank
Just like all other fish bowls, a wall mounted fish bowl also requires regular maintenance and cleaning, irrespective of whether you are using it as a fish tank or just a terrarium. Cleaning a wall mounted fish tank is a slight hassle but necessary.
In order to minimize the algae build-up in the fish tank, replace about 20-25% of water every three-four weeks. You can use a siphon hose (or improvise by using a gravel cleaner) to drain out the water from the fish bowl and add fresh treated water. Some of the popular mini-siphon hoses you can use for the purpose are listed below:
- Aqueon Mini Siphon Vacuum Aquarium Gravel Cleaner
- Python Pro-Clean Aquarium Gravel Washer and Siphon Kit
Since most wall mounted fish tanks are made of acrylic, you need a soft microfiber cleaning cloth to wipe off the bowl. Any abrasive cloth can cause the fish bowl surface to scratch. For the interiors, you can use a cleaning magnet cloth or algae pad. Some of the budget cleaning pads to check out are listed below. Just remember to remove any fish from the tank while cleaning the interiors of the fish tank.
- Python Algae Mitt Cloth for Aquarium
- Aqueon Algae Cleaning Magnet
- API Algae Pad for acrylic aquariums
Also, check out the below video on how to setup and maintain a wall mounted fish bowl.
Final thoughts on the best wall-mounted fish tanks
A wall mounted fish tank is a stylish, modern decoration for anyone looking for an aquatic decor in their house. Such small fish tanks are suitable to keep a single live fish, an aquatic plant of simply an ocean bed with aquatic sand, stones and marbles. These fish tanks also make excellent gift items.
In this article, we looked at some of the best wall mounted fish tanks available in the market. We primarily focused only on nano-sized wall-mounted fish bowls which can be installed easily. We also looked at some of the factors to consider while deciding on the best option and shared our top picks.
We hope that you found this article useful. Do let us know your feedback and questions by commenting below. Until next time, have a playful time with your beloved fish tank!
One thought on “Best wall mounted fish tanks to buy (2021)”
Excellent List!! Thanks for sharing Best wall mounted fish tanks list; It’s helpful for the new buyer.
Comments are closed.