In our article on the best dog cooling pads, we saw how a dog cooling pad or bed can help keep the canine cool while resting in its crate or during outdoor trips. But not all dogs like the sleeping surface of these pads and for aggressive chewers, these cooling beds are not the most suitable option. In such cases, an elevated dog bed is a better choice for daily use. And most pets love the elevated sleeping surface provided by these beds.
But which are the best elevated dog beds or raised dog beds available in the market?
In this article, we review and list some of the best elevated dog beds available in the market. Our list includes both fixed-frame elevated dog beds, which are perfect for household use and foldable elevated dog beds, which work well for travel. We will also discuss the major benefits of these raised dog beds and the factors to consider before picking the best elevated dog bed for your pooch. So buckle up and read on!
Also, check out our article on the best dog travel beds if you are looking for a cushioned portable sleeping bed for your Fido.
Best elevated dog bed listSome of the best elevated dog beds and raised pet cots available in the market are listed below:
|Kuranda Chew-proof Aluminum Dog Bed||XS: 25" x 18" x 6"|
S: 30" x 20" x 6"
M: 35" x 23" x 6"
L: 40" x 25" x 6"
XL: 44" x 27" x 8"
XXL: 50" x 36" x 8"
|The Original Elevated Pet Bed by Coolaroo||S: 35" x 21" x 8"|
M: 42" x 25.5" x 8"
L: 56" x 31" x 8"
|K9 Ballistics Chew-Proof Elevated Dog Bed||XS: 30" x 20" x 3.5"|
S: 35" x 23" x 3.5"
M: 40" x 25" x 5"
L: 44" x 27" x 5"
XL: 50" x 35" x 5"
|K&H Pet Products Original Elevated Pet Bed||S: 22" x 17" x 7"|
M: 32" x 25" x 7"
L: 42" x 30" x 7"
XL: 50" x 32" x 9"
|AmazonBasics Elevated Cooling Pet Bed||XS: 28" x 21" x 7.3"|
S: 36" x 21" x 7.5"
M: 43" x 26" x 7.5"
L: 51" x 31" x 7.5"
XL: 60" x 37" x 9"
|Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Pet Bed||S: 35.7" x 21.8" x 7.75"|
M: 43.4" x 25.8" x 7.75"
L: 51.6" x 31.8" x 7.75"
|Oxgord Paws and Pals Elevated Dog Bed||M: 32" x 25" x 8"|
L: 43.5" x 29.5" x 8"
|GigaTent Steel Frame Elevated Pet Cot||S/M: 35” x 24” x 8”|
L: 42” x 24” x 8”
|SuperJare Elevated Pet Cot with Canopy||L: 36” x 30” x 7.2”/35”|
XL: 48” x 36” x 9.1”/43”
|Best Choice Products Elevated Dog Bed with Canopy||L: 36" x 30" x 7.5"/35"|
XL: 48" x 36" x 9"/42"
What is an elevated dog bed and how is it useful?
Hot summers – when the temperatures soar, are not the most enjoyable times for dogs, especially the ones which are old or suffer from ailments such as arthritis. Canines do not sweat like humans (dogs only sweat from areas like nose and paw pads) and instead rely on panting to manage their body temperatures.
Insufficient heat regulation and overheating can cause serious health problems and can even lead to severe heatstroke and death. Breeds with flat noses such as pugs, pit bulls and bulldogs and ones with thick furs such as Huskies are more prone to these heat-related issues. Breed-specific characteristics, body weight, and extreme heat and humidity can also affect this panting ability.
So, it is important to keep the dog cool even when they are not engaging in physical activities.
Elevated dog beds are one such gear to help in these situations. And they not only help in keeping the dog cool during summers but also help in ensuring better temperature regulation round the year, including winters.
In their design, elevated dog beds (or raised dog beds as they are sometimes referred as) are not much different from human cots and beds – they have a chew-proof, breathable fabric cover mounted on an elevated metal or PVC plastic frame. The frame of these beds can be fixed or foldable. Fixed-frame dog beds are mostly useful for domestic use while the foldable elevated dog beds work well for travel and outdoor excursions such as beach trips and camping.
Elevated dog beds provide an efficient passive cooling (or warmth in winters) to the pets. Elevation from the ground and meshed cot provide additional air circulation to regulate the body temperature. It also helps in minimizing the heat exchange with the ground surface. Moreover, clearance from the ground means that the canine can stay clear of the wet and dirty soil surface.
Specifically, some of the major advantages of elevated dog beds are:
- Elevated dog beds help in better regulation of body temperature throughout the year. In summers, they provide better ventilation and air circulation, while in winters they provide clearance from the cold ground surface. Some beds even have canopies to protect from sunlight and rain.
- Elevated dog beds help in keeping the dog off the hard floor and reduce pressure on hips and joints of the canine.
- The best elevated dog beds are the most chew-proof type of dog beds. They do not have soft foam filling and have high denier, chew-resistant surfaces mounted on solid metal or PVC frames – an arrangement that is not very enticing to an aggressive chewer pet.
- Portable elevated dog beds work especially well for outdoor excursions such as beach trips and camping. They help in keeping the pet clear of wet grounds, rocky surfaces, and creepy crawlers.
- Elevated dog beds are easy to clean and maintain. For everyday cleaning, you can simply wipe the cot with a wet cloth. For a more thorough cleaning, you can simply use a water spray or soap.
- If used indoors, elevated dog beds are easy to clean around because of their clearance from the ground. Moreover, the dog (or cat) hair shed by the pet tend to fall through and can be vacuumed easily.
Before we move to the next section, it is important to discuss the primary differences between elevated dog beds and dog cooling pads. As discussed in our article on the best dog cooling pads, cooling dog pads or mats provide accelerated cooling by using chemical-based gels or water/ice fillings. Elevated dog beds, on the other hand, provide passive cooling through better air circulation and clearance from the ground.
So, while dog cooling pads are excellent in providing quick relief to the pet, elevated dog beds are more suitable for long-duration resting. And if you want even better cooling, you can always use a portable fan to increase the circulation of air.
From the above discussion, it is clear that elevated dog beds are an excellent gear to keep your dog cool (or toasty) indoors, outdoors or during excursions such as beach trips and camping. Now let us look at some of the best elevated dog beds available in the market!
Which are the best elevated dog beds?
Material: 40 oz. vinyl-coated polyester fabric cot cover mounted on a 100% aluminum frame with aluminum corner joints and stainless-steel fasteners. Rubber feet.
Size & Weight:
- XS: 25″ x 18″ x 6″, 8 lbs. approx.
- S: 30″ x 20″ x 6″, 9 lbs. approx.
- M: 35″ x 23″ x 6″, 10 lbs. approx.
- L: 40″ x 25″ x 6″, 11 lbs. approx.
- XL: 44″ x 27″ x 8″, 12 lbs. approx.
- XXL: 50″ x 36″ x 8″, 15 lbs. approx.
- All sizes can carry a maximum load of 250 lbs.
- Award-winning and best-selling premium elevated dog bed with a chew-proof, 40 oz. vinyl-coated polyester fabric cot surface mounted on a lightweight, aircraft-grade aluminum frame. Designed and Made in the US.
- Heavy-duty vinyl-coated polyester fabric offers best-in-class chewing and clawing resistance while providing superior comfort and air circulation. There are no gaps or loose material on the corners.
- Features a patented design with an all-aluminum straight-leg design, aluminum corner joints, and feet that provide a clearance of 6″ to 8″ from the ground. The manufacturer also offers smaller 4″ legs for using the bed in a crate. The feet are covered with rubber caps to prevent any floor damage.
- Requires thorough assembly with a screwdriver and Hex tool. Does not fold down or collapse but stays tight and stable for years.
- Easy to clean by spot-cleaning with a wet cloth. Can also be sprayed with a water hose or cleaned with soap and water. Dries quickly.
- Available in six sizes and four color combinations, suitable for all dog breeds. The manufacturer also offers replacement covers and in different materials.
- Backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty against chew-damage and defects. Premium-priced and costlier than most other elevated dog beds.
- A lighter, PVC-frame Kuranda Elevated Dog Bed is also available from the same manufacturer.
When it comes to elevated dog beds, most reviewers and experts agree that the premium Kuranda Elevated Dog Beds are the most durable and reliable raised dog beds in the market. We also found these high-quality beds as the best option in the market, and there is a good reason for that.
The award-winning Kuranda Chew-proof Aluminum Dog Bed features a 100% aircraft-grade aluminum frame which is lightweight, waterproof, rust-resistant(additional silver coating) and durable. The patented frame has a straight leg design with all-aluminum corner joints and cot protector cover on the rims.
The dog bed has stainless-steel fasteners and screws to secure the edge and corner protectors. The manufacturer also offers a lighter, 100% PVC-frame elevated dog bed, which is considerably lighter and still reasonably chew-proof.
The cot surface is made of 40 oz. vinyl-coated polyester fabric (equivalent to a 2000+ Denier ballistic fabric) which offers best-in-class chew-resistance and is also mold and mildew resistance. The standard vinyl fabric surface is reasonably breathable, but the manufacturer does offer cot covers with lighter, more breathable fabrics such as ballistic nylon and Cordura. But for an aggressive chewer or digger pet, you will not find a better fabric in the market. The bed is designed and made in the US.
The Kuranda Dog Bed come unassembled and you would need to assemble it using the included hardware and a screwdriver. Frankly, it is not the easiest bed to assemble/disassemble and does not collapse or fold down, but once installed using the included instructions, the bed remains tight and solidly stable for years.
The patented design of the Kuranda dog bed has quite a few design features which make it a perfect elevated dog bed. First of all, there are no gaps or loose material in the top cot surface. The corners and edges are well covered with aluminum protectors. Secondly, the dog beds feature heavy-duty cot legs which have rubber feet to provide stability and prevent any damage to the flooring.
The XL and XXL dog beds provide an 8″ clearance from the ground, while other dog beds have a shorter 6″ clearance. If you want to use this bed in the crate, you should consider buying the shorter 4″ legs, sold separately by the manufacturer.
Cleaning a Kuranda bed is easy – you can wipe it with a wet cloth or spot wash with soap and water. You can also spray it with a water hose for more thorough cleaning. The cot surface is quick-drying in sunlight.
The Kuranda Aluminum Dog Beds are available in six sizes and four vibrant cot colors – Smoke, Burgundy, Forest Green, and Royal Blue. Each bed has a weight tolerance of 250 lbs. irrespective of the size, so you will also get the most durable dog bed. All Kuranda beds are backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty against chew-damage and defects – a big testament to the superior quality of these dog beds.
Material: Meshed 1280D High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) fabric cot cover mounted on a powder-coated steel frame.
Size & Weight:
- S: 35″ x 21″ x 8″, 6 lbs. for pets up to 50 lbs.
- M: 42″ x 25.5″ x 8″, 7 lbs. for pets up to 75 lbs.
- L: 56″ x 31″ x 8″, 8.1 lbs. for pets up to 100 lbs.
- Best-selling budget cot-style raised dog bed with a proprietary plastic-coated fabric cot cover mounted on a powder-coated steel frame. Made in China under the Australia/US-based company’s quality control measures.
- Features a high-quality, chew-resistant mesh fabric surface that provides a tight, cooling sleeping surface. The cot cover is flea, mite, mold and mildew resistant and 100% recyclable with certification from GreenGuard for environmental-friendliness.
- Comes with a sturdy frame with gently-curved frame legs to provide maximum stability. Plastic caps for feet are also included to prevent any floor damage.
- Simple assembly and disassembly with included screws and Allen wrench. However, the frame is non-collapsible and does not fold down.
- Easy to clean with soap and tap water. Hand wash only.
- Available in three sizes and four color combinations. Suitable for all dogs weighing up to 100 lbs.
- Backed by a five-year warranty on the fabric cover against UV degradation. Replacement cot covers are also available.
If you are looking for a high-quality elevated dog bed and do not want to spend a fortune, then the Original Elevated Pet Bed by Coolaroo is an excellent choice to consider. This dog bed has been a popular value-for-money raised dog bed option for years and there is a good reason for that.
The Coolaroo elevated pet bed features a high-quality construction with a proprietary 1280D High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) meshed fabric cot surface mounted on a powder-coated steel frame. The cot surface is lead and Phthalate-free and proven to be flea, mite, mold, and mildew resistant. And it is 100% recyclable and GreenGuard-certified for environmental friendliness. The cot rims are double-stitched along the ends and pressure points and have a more breathable, double-layer mesh center to provide optimum ventilation and cooling comfort.
The fixed frame of the dog bed is made of powder-coated steel which is rust-resistant, durable and lightweight. The bed also comes with plastic protector caps to provide better stability and prevent any damage to the flooring. The dog bed is made in China under the US/Australia-based company’s quality control measures.
The Coolaroo elevated pet bed has excellent design features which have made this dog bed a popular choice. The bed frame has gently-rounded corners to prevent any chew-zones or edges. Because of this design, the cot does have gaps along the edges, though not too wide to attract a chewer pet.
Assembling the frame is quite easy with the included hardware – screws and an Allen (Hex) wrench. It would be a good idea to keep this wrench handy as the manufacturer recommends to tighten the screws once every two or three months.
You also need to remember that while the frame is easy to assemble and disassemble, it is non-collapsible and does not fold down. If you want to use it for travel and outdoor excursions, you would need to dismantle the bed and then re-assemble it whenever required.
The Coolaroo dog bed is easy to clean. You can wipe it down with a wet cloth or clean it with soap and water. The manufacturer recommends only using cold water to clean the cot cover.
The Coolaroo elevated pet bed is available in three sizes – small suitable for all pets weighing up to 50 lbs., medium for all pets weighing up to 75 lbs. and large for all pets weighing up to 100 lbs. It is available in four or five vibrant color combinations, so you have wide choices to pick from.
The Coolaroo dog bed is backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment and a five-year warranty on the fabric cover against sunlight/UV-degradations (not chewing by the pet). Replacement cot covers are also sold separately by the manufacturer.
Material: Proprietary, 1680D ripstop synthetic fabric cot cover mounted on an aluminum frame with black-painted aluminum corner joints. Rubber feet.
Size & Weight:
- XS: 30″ x 20″ x 3.5″.
- S: 35″ x 23″ x 3.5″.
- M: 40″ x 25″ x 5″.
- L: 44″ x 27″ x 5″.
- XL: 50″ x 35″ x 5″.
- All sizes can carry a maximum load of 200-250 lbs.
- Premium elevated dog bed with a chew-proof proprietary ballistic fabric cot cover mounted on a 100% aluminum frame. Designed and engineered in the US.
- Features an all-aluminum frame that has straight legs with black-painted aluminum corner joints. And equipped with rubber feet to prevent any floor damage.
- Has a ripstop fabric cot cover that is mold-resistant, waterproof and chew-proof and still breathable for maximum comfort. Covered edges with no gaps or loose material on the corners.
- Comes semi-assembled and easy to disassemble and re-assemble if required.
- Easy to clean by wiping with a wet cloth or spraying with a water hose. Quick-drying. The cot cover can also be machine washed.
- Available in five sizes and multiple color combinations, suitable for all dog breeds. The sizes are designed to fit in standard dog crates.
- Backed by a 180-day manufacturer warranty against chew-damage and defects. Premium-priced and costlier than most other elevated dog beds.
Material: 600D Oxford fabric cot with a double-layer polyester mesh center, mounted on a steel frame with PVC corner joints and steel legs.
Size & Weight:
- S: 22″ x 17″ x 7″ for pets up to 20 lbs.
- M: 32″ x 25″ x 7″ for pets up to 60 lbs.
- L: 42″ x 30″ x 7″ for pets up to 80 lbs.
- XL: 50″ x 32″ x 9″ for pets up to 150 lbs.
- Versatile raised dog bed with a 600D oxford fabric cot having a double-layer polyester mesh center. Mounted on a tubular steel frame with PVC corners and straight steel legs. Made in China for the US-based manufacturer.
- Breathable mesh center provides ample ventilation and repels moisture, mold, mildew, bacteria, and odors. Water-resistant but not waterproof.
- Slip-resistant and non-marking rubber feet caps provide additional stability and keep the floors safe. Most suitable for gentle to moderate chewers, as aggressive chewers can chew upon the PVC corners.
- Simple, tool-free assembly/disassembly. But does not fold down. XL Size cot has foldable middle beam legs to prevent sagging.
- Easy to clean with cold water and mild soap/detergent and air dry. Hand wash only.
- Available in four sizes and three color combinations. Mid-range price and cheaper than most premium elevated dog beds.
- Backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty against defects. Replacement cot covers (for every season) and canopy are also sold separately.
- The manufacturer also offers a variety of other elevated pet bed options for all seasons, including the plush K&H Pet Products Bolster Elevated Pet Cot.
Material: PVC-coated polyester fabric sleeping surface mounted on a rust-resistant iron frame.
Size & Weight:
- XS: 28″ x 21″ x 7.3″, 4.3 lbs. for pets up to 25 lbs.
- S: 36″ x 21″ x 7.5″, 5.1 lbs. for pets up to 40 lbs.
- M: 43″ x 26″ x 7.5″, 5.9 lbs. for pets up to 60 lbs.
- L: 51″ x 31″ x 7.5″, 8.3 lbs. for pets up to 100 lbs.
- XL: 60″ x 37″ x 9″, 10.4 lbs. for pets up to 120 lbs.
- Budget cot-style bed with a decent PVC-coated polyester mesh fabric surface mounted on an iron frame having rust-resistant paint coating. Made in China for Amazon’s in-house brand.
- Breathable waterproof mesh fabric cover provides proper ventilation and non-sagging sleeping surface. Frame legs with gently curved corners and plastic caps add to the stability of the cot when in use.
- Simple assembly and disassembly with included screws and hex tools. However, the frame is non-collapsible and does not fold down.
- Easy to clean with soap and tap water. Hand wash only.
- Available in five sizes and two color combinations – green and grey. Competitively priced and cheaper than premium elevated dog beds.
- Backed by a one-year AmazonBasics warranty against manufacturing defects. A replacement cot cover is also available.
Material: PVC-coated polyester fabric cot mounted on a powder-coated steel frame.
Size & Weight:
- S: 35.7″ x 21.8″ x 7.75″, 6 lbs. for pets up to 40 lbs.
- M: 43.4″ x 25.8″ x 7.75″, 7 lbs. for pets up to 65 lbs.
- L: 51.6″ x 31.8″ x 7.75″, 8 lbs. for pets up to 85 lbs.
- Popular weather-proof elevated dog bed with a PVC-coated fabric sleeping surface and a powder-coated tubular steel frame. Made in China for the US-based Chewy’s in-house brand.
- Tight, breathable semi-permeable fabric is mold and mildew resistant and provides ample air circulation and comfortable, sag-free resting surface. Skid-free legs provide stability when in use.
- Easy to assemble and disassemble for transportation. But does not fold down.
- Easy to clean with mild soap/detergent and water and air dry. Hand wash only.
- Available in three sizes and four color combinations. Considerably cheaper than most premium elevated dog beds.
- Backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty against defects. The replacement cot covers are also sold separately.
Material: Polyester fabric mesh cot mounted on a tubular steel frame.
Size & Weight:
- M: 32″ x 25″ x 8″, 5 lbs. for pets up to 60 lbs.
- L: 43.5″ x 29.5″ x 8″, 6 lbs. for pets up to 88 lbs.
- Budget elevated dog bed with a decent polyester mesh fabric cot mounted on a tubular steel frame. Made in China for the US-based company.
- Extremely breathable mesh fabric and elevated surface provide excellent air circulation. The bed fabric is mold-resistant, waterproof and easy to clean with soap and water.
- Double stitching on the stretching points provides additional durability.
- Easy to assemble and disassemble with basic tools. However, does not folds down or collapses.
- Available in two sizes and a single color combination. Backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty against defects. The replacement cot covers are also sold separately.
- Competitively priced. The manufacturer also offers a portable fold-and-go elevated dog bed for small pets.
Material: Polyester fabric cot surface mounted on a tubular steel frame.
Size & Weight:
- S/M: 35” x 24” x 8”, 7 lbs. for pets up to 60 lbs.
- L: 42” x 24” x 8”, 10 lbs. for pets up to 100 lbs.
Price: $$ to $$$ depending upon the size.
- Premium Portable elevated dog travel bed with a waterproof and breathable polyester fabric surface and a heavy-duty, rust-resistant tubular steel frame. Made in China.
- Foldable U-shaped legs provide proper weight distribution. The Large-sized bed has a middle beam on the frame for additional support and durability.
- Extremely portable. Folds in half to 3” (Small) or 5.5” (large) thick carrying size. Comes with a bonus storage bag.
- Easy to clean by wiping with a wet cloth or spraying with a water hose.
- Comes in four colors- black, grey, green and tan, and two sizes. Small/Medium cot is suitable for pets up to 60 lbs. while the Large cot is suitable for pets up to 100 lbs.
- Backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty against defects. Costlier than most other elevated pet cots.
Material: 1680D oxford fabric cot with polyester mesh mounted on a tubular, powder-coated steel frame. Oxford fabric canopy.
Size & Weight:
- L: 36” x 30” x 7.2”/35.5”, 7 lbs. for dogs up to 100 lbs.
- XL: 48” x 36” x 9.1”/43.2”, 10 lbs. for dogs up to 120 lbs.
Price: $ to $$ depending upon the size.
- Mid-range elevated dog travel bed with a 1680D mold-resistant, oxford fabric cot with polyester mesh surface mounted on a tubular, powder-coated steel frame with a water-resistant, oxford fabric canopy. Made in China.
- Features a breathable meshed cot surface that provides proper air circulation and ventilation to the pet. The removable canopy provides protection from the sunlight and rain.
- Middle beams in the frame provide additional durability and better weight distribution.
- Comes with a bonus carrying bag for easy transportation. Easy, tool-free assembly and disassembly. Comes with an instruction manual.
- Easy to clean by wiping with a wet cloth. For more thorough cleaning, just wash with hand and mild soap and air dry.
- Available in two sizes and two color combinations. The Large bed is suitable for dogs weighing up to 100 lbs. and the XL bed suitable for pets up to 120 lbs.
Material: Nylon fabric cot with polyester mesh, mounted on a tubular steel frame. Nylon fabric canopy.
Size & Weight:
- L: 36″ x 30″ x 7.5″/35″, 7 lbs. for dogs up to 88 lbs.
- XL: 48″ x 36″ x 9″/42″, 10.6 lbs. for dogs up to 99 lbs.
- Budget elevated canopy dog bed with a quality nylon fabric and breathable polyester mesh cot surface mounted on a tubular steel frame. Made in China.
- Middle support legs in the frame provide additional durability and better weight distribution. Has a single beam in the Large bed and double beams in the XL bed.
- Comes with a removable canopy that provides protection from the sunlight. However, the canopy cover is less than that in the SuperJare bed.
- Comes with a bonus travel bag for easy transportation. Easy to clean and assemble/disassemble.
- Available in two sizes and two color combinations. The Large bed is suitable for dogs weighing up to 88 lbs. and the XL bed suitable for pets up to 99 lbs.
- Backed by a 60-day, hassle-free moneyback guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer.
Additional Options for elevated/raised dog beds
In addition to the top 10 elevated dog beds that we listed above for domestic use, there are a few additional dog travel beds that are worth checking out if you are looking for some more options, especially for outdoor excursions such as camping:
A unique elevated dog bed that combines the features of a raised dog bed and a cooling pad in a single unit. Features a sturdy steel frame, non-skid feet and 600D polyester mesh fabric with water-based cooling pad center. Available in two sizes and designed to hold up to 150 lbs. Backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty. Also available on Chewy.
Unique elevated pet bed that works best for pets that like to cuddle up while sleeping. The bed features a Smart-Air mesh fabric cot with elevated sides and raised back that provide natural cushion and ventilation. Available in two sizes and two colors – blue and red. Backed by a 1-year manufacturer warranty. Also available on Chewy.
This elevated, portable dog bed is another decent dog travel bed option to consider. This portable dog travel cot features a cushioned heavy-duty, water-resistant polyester oxford sleeping pad attached to a 7.5-inch powder-coated steel frame. This pet travel bed is available in two sizes and four colors and suitable for dogs weighing up to 40-50 lbs. Also available on Chewy.
Multi-functional cot style dog travel bed with a high-quality, double-stitched nylon fabric cot and all-metal steel frame. Features a simple fold-and-go design and comes with a carry case for easy storage and transportation. Available in two sizes and multiple colors, suitable for pets up to 95 lbs. in weight. Backed by a 30-day money back policy and 90-day manufacturer warranty. Also available on Chewy.
Buying Guide – How to pick the best elevated dog beds?
With so many different options available in the market, picking the best elevated beds can be a challenging task. What you need is a dog bed that is built to last and provides a cool and comfortable sleeping surface to the pooch.
A perfect elevated dog bed is one that is:
- Cozy and comfortable to the dog and provide enough clearance from the ground to stay warm or cool as per the weather conditions.
- Does not sag excessively and retain its shape and position when in use.
- Weather-resistant and waterproof for indoor/outdoor use or at least be water-resistant.
- Durable enough to withstand minor clawing or scratching by the canine.
- Easy to assemble and disassemble and transport.
- Easy to maintain – odor-resistant, washable and quick drying.
Once you have decided upon the broad budget, you need to look at the following major factors before picking the best raised dog bed for your needs:
- Building material and weather protection
- Design features
- Size and portability
- Cleaning and maintenance
- Additional Factors and Considerations
Building material and weather protection
The building material of the elevated dog bed is an important factor to consider as it governs the durability and weather protection of the raised dog bed. This includes the manufacturing material of the sleeping surface, frame and other parts (such as canopy) of the bed.
The elevated dog travel beds feature a fabric cot that is tightly mounted on a raised, all-metal frame. This elevated cot design provides a natural cushion to the pet without excessive sagging.
The frame is generally made of rust-proof and weather-safe metal – aluminum or tubular powder-coated steel to keep the weight of the bed to a minimum while still providing the requisite support for the dog’s weight. There are some options which offer a PVC-frame to keep the overall weight of the bed down, but this can make the bed more prone to damage by an aggressive-chewer pet.
The frame of the elevated dog bed has a rounded-leg or straight-leg design and is either fixed-frame or collapsible/foldable. The foldable elevated dog beds offer maximum portability and work really well for outdoor excursions such as camping and beach trips. Fixed-frame beds, though lightweight and easy to assemble and disassemble, are most suitable for household use only.
The sleeping surface of the elevated dog beds is made of 600 deniers or higher Oxford/nylon or polyester synthetic fabric with polyester mesh in the center. The cot surface is often PVC-coated to provide additional weather protection and protection against chewing and clawing by the pet. The corners and joints are double and triple-stitched for extra durability and sag-free support.
Closely related to the construction material of an elevated dog bed is the weather and moisture protection that the bed provides. Though most of the options that we listed are water-resistant, it is important to understand the difference between waterproof and water-resistant materials.
The water-resistant materials would not wick the moisture but cannot provide protection against moderate to high exposure to water or submersion. Waterproof materials, on the other hand, provide a more complete protection against the water. So, keep this in mind especially if you are looking for an all-weather elevated dog bed for extensive outdoor use.
In terms of overall build quality, we found the Kuranda Chew-proof Aluminum Dog Bed and K9 Ballistics Chew-Proof Elevated Dog Bed as having the most durable construction, so if you are looking for a premium dog bed for extensive, long-term use, then you should definitely take a look at these options.
In summary, check the manufacturing material of the sleeping surface, frame and other parts before picking the best raised dog bed for your Fido.
In addition to the build quality, there are certain design features that you should look out for before picking the best elevated dog bed for your canine.
The design of the frame is one such feature to check out. The bed frame can have gently rounded corners as in The Original Elevated Pet Bed by Coolaroo or straight legs with metal or plastic corner joints as in the Kuranda Chew-proof Aluminum Dog Bed.
The rounded corners increase the overall dimensions of the bed but make the frame more chew-proof and safe. Moreover, in straight-corner dog beds like the ones in K&H Pet Products Original Elevated Pet Bed, there is a wide gap or opening between the frame and the cover, which can sometimes be a hazard for a nosy pet.
Another frame feature that is important to consider is the availability of a middle beam in the frame. While such a beam helps in providing more stability and prevent sagging, it can sometimes lead to the development of a “mid-cot uncomfortable zone” if the cot cover is not tightly fit.
The design of the sleeping surface is also something to examine closely. While all elevated dog beds provide decent air circulation, if you are looking for an elevated sleeping bed specifically for summers, then we recommend that you pick a model that has a big single or double layer meshed center for extra ventilation. This may mean that you would have to replace the cover more frequently due to clawing by the pet, but the additional cooling and comfort the pet would get would make it a worthy choice.
Finally, make sure you pick a raised dog bed which has rubber feet or at least plastic caps on the legs to ensure that the bed does not damage the flooring.
Among fixed-frame elevated dog beds, our top pick – the Kuranda Chew-proof Aluminum Dog Bed has some excellent design features such as chew-proof aluminum corners, no cot-surface gaps, and straight rubber-capped legs, which make it the best-selling option and our favorite choice.
Among foldable elevated dog beds, both the GigaTent Steel Frame Elevated Pet Cot and SuperJare Elevated Pet Cot with Canopy have excellent design features. The SuperJare pet cot even comes with a decent-sized canopy for protection against sunlight.
Check the design features of the frame, sleeping surface and legs before deciding upon the best raised dog bed for your pet. The product details, product review section, and videos are an excellent resource to get all this information.
Size and portability
The overall size is also an important factor to consider. Your dog’s breed, size and weight, and your own personal preferences often govern the size of bed you need to pick.
Depending upon your dog’s weight and sleeping posture – curl-up or sprawled-out, measure the sleeping length and the pet’s weight before deciding upon the most appropriate size of the dog bed. When in doubt, it is worthwhile to size-up so that your pet has enough surface to spread out. Just remember that the sleeping surface of the dog bed would be slightly less than its overall dimensions. Moreover, larger the dog bed, heavier it would be.
Thankfully most elevated dog beds that we have listed are available in multiple sizes – suitable for all dog breeds from 20 lbs. up to 150 lbs. in weight, so you can pick the right one in terms of overall dimensions and weight rating.
Another size consideration to check out is the height of the bed or its clearance from the ground. It is a good idea to pick a dog bed which has the same height as the length of your dog’s legs, especially if the dog is old or suffers from any joint issues. And raised dog beds with short legs work really well in dog crates. The options that we have listed have a height ranging from 3.5-inches to as high as 9 inches.
While all elevated dog beds that we listed are easy to assemble and disassemble, the folding-frame dog beds are specifically designed to collapse to a compact size for stowing in a car, SUV or truck and then expanded. So, you should prefer such options if you are looking for an elevated dog bed specifically for travel and outdoor adventures with your pooch.
Closely associated with the size of the bed is its overall weight. The weight of the bed is especially important if you are planning to move the bed around the house or use it for outdoor excursions such as camping, RVing or beach-trips. For such activities, you should consider only elevated dog beds that do not weigh above 8-10 lbs.
Check out the overall shape, size, and weight of the bed before picking the best elevated dog bed. You can generally get a lot of insights on the sizing of the bed from the manufacturer’s sizing chart, reviews and Q&A section of the product.
Cleaning and maintenance
To prevent any soiling or odor build-up due to an “accident”, you would need to clean the dog bed from time to time. Therefore, it is important to pick an option that is easy to clean and maintain.
Everyday cleaning is convenient, and the beds and frame can be wiped with a wet cloth or spray-washed with light soap and water and left for drying in air. Because of their synthetic fabric, most cot covers are suitable for hand-wash only and therefore you should avoid washing the cover in the washing machine.
All the options that we listed are extremely easy to assemble and disassemble. So, you can easily remove the sleeping surface or cover and wash it.
Furthermore, since these beds have a semi-permeable surface, any hair shed by the pet tend to fall through on the ground and can be broomed or vacuumed easily
In short, pick an elevated dog bed that is easy to clean and maintain.
Additional factors and miscellaneous considerations
In addition to the major factors discussed above, there are some other considerations that can make a particular product a better choice over other elevated dog beds.
One such consideration is the availability of replacement cot covers and other parts such as canopies. Just like any other dog bed, the cot covers and sleeping surfaces of elevated dog beds would invariably get damaged after a few years and hence it is important to opt for a dog bed which has replacement covers readily available. One brand stands out in this regard – K&H Pet Products offers a variety of cot cover options for raised dog beds, including cooling covers, self-warming covers, and all-season covers.
Moreover, any accessories that come with the bed, especially carry or storage bags that help in easy packing and transportation are also something to look out for.
Another additional factor is the color combination in which the bed is available. Bright, vibrant colors are easy to detect for your dog even in low lights. This is also important to ensure that the pet does not consider the bed surface as a play mat and try to chew or claw through it. Some of the options that we listed are available in multiple color combinations, so you can pick one as per your preference.
Finally, one of the most important additional consideration is the warranty and post-purchase customer service support offered on the bed by the manufacturer. While there is nothing like an indestructible dog bed, the longer the warranty period, the more durable the dog bed would be.
Most of the elevated dog beds that we listed, especially from top manufacturers like Kuranda and K&H Pet Products, are backed by excellent post-purchase support and warranties, so you can pick any of these options without worrying about their durability. Just make sure you make your purchase only from authorized re-sellers and register your product after purchasing if required.
You can look at all these additional factors before zeroing in on the best elevated bed for your canine. And if in doubt, pick one of our top recommendations – you would not be disappointed.
Final thoughts on the best elevated dog bed
Regulating body temperature is often a challenge for canines, as they rely on panting instead of sweating to manage the temperature.
Elevated dog beds are designed exactly to help you in these situations – these dog beds provide better air ventilation and passive cooling to the pets and help them maintain their body temperatures even in hot conditions. But picking the right elevated dog bed is important.
In this article, we listed some of the best elevated dog beds and raised pet cots available in the market. We briefly looked at the situations in which these beds are useful and also listed some of the major factors to keep in mind before picking the best elevated dog bed for your pet. In addition to our top 10 picks, we also listed some unique raised dog beds which can also work well as dog travel beds during an outdoor excursion.
We hope that you found this article useful and it would help you in picking the best elevated dog bed to help your Fido beat the heat this summer. Do let us know your feedback and questions by commenting below. Until next time, have a happy summertime with your beloved pooch!