Hot summers are not the most enjoyable times for dogs, especially the ones who love to and stay active and spend a lot of time outdoors. Canines do not sweat like humans and instead rely on panting to manage their body temperatures-something that is not always sufficient to prevent overheating. During rigorous outdoor activities, this often becomes a bigger challenge.
Thankfully, there are some excellent dog cooling products and gear available in the market to keep your Fido cool and comfortable both indoors and outdoors.
So, which are the best dog cooling products available in the market?
In this article, we will look at answering specifically the above question and share some of the best dog cooling products available in the market. We will cover all the different types of such products – cooling vests, collars, pads, elevated beds, and even crate fans.
We will also discuss the major factors to keep in mind before picking the best dog cooling gear to keep the pet cool and comfortable during summers. Read On!
For more information, you can always check out our detailed articles on the best dog cooling vests, the best dog cooling bandanas, the best elevated dog beds, the best dog cooling pads, and the dog crate fans.
Best dog cooling products listSome of the best dog cooling products to help your pet beat the heat this summer are listed below:
|Ruffwear Swamp Cooler Dog Cooling Vest||XXS: Neck-13.5", Chest-13"-17".|
XS: Neck-16.25", Chest-17"-22".
S: Neck-19.75", Chest-22"-27".
M: Neck-22", Chest-27"-32".
L: Neck-26.5", Chest-32"-46".
XL: Neck-28", Chest-36"-42".
|Derby Originals Hydro Cooling Dog Jacket||Size 12: Chest-15.5"-18", Len.-12".|
Size 18: Chest-23"-30", Len.-18".
Size 22: Chest-25"-32", Len.-22".
Size 26: Chest-33.5"-43.5", Len.-26".
Size 28: Chest-34"-42", Len.-28".
|All For Paws Chill Out Ice Bandana||S: Neck-11.8"-14.2"|
|Coolaid Canine Cooling Bandana||S: 12” x 12”|
M: 18” x 18”
L: 24” x 24”
|Kuranda Chew-proof Aluminum Dog Bed||XS: 25" x 18" x 6"|
S: 30" x 20" x 6"
M: 35" x 23" x 6"
L: 40" x 25" x 6"
XL: 44" x 27" x 8"
XXL: 50" x 36" x 8"
|The Original Elevated Pet Bed by Coolaroo||S: 35" x 21" x 8"|
M: 42" x 25.5" x 8"
L: 56" x 31" x 8"
|The Green Pet Shop Dog Cooling Mat||S: 15.7" x 11.8” x 1”|
M: 19.7" x 15.7" x 1"
M/L: 30" x 20" x 1"
L: 36" x 23.6" x 1"
XL: 45" x 27.5" x 1"
|K&H Pet Products Cool Bed III Cooling Dog Bed||S: 24” x 17” x 1”|
M: 32” x 22” x 1”
L: 44” x 32” x 1”
|ProSelect Cool Pup Crate Fan||8” x 6.25” x 2.5”|
|O2COOL Portable Pet Crate Fan||6.5” x 6.1” x 2”|
** The size mentioned for the dog beds and mats are overall dimensions. Sleeping/Cooling surface would be a few inches less. Check the product details for exact sleeping/cooling surface dimensions.
What are the different types of dog cooling products and gear?
Regulating their body temperatures to stay cool and comfortable is a challenge for most dogs, especially during summers. The normal body temperature of canines is already high at around 102o F, and since they do not perspire like humans (dogs only sweat from areas like nose and paw pads), the canines instead have to rely on panting to manage their body temperature.
Insufficient heat regulation and heat stress (hyperthermia) can cause serious health problems. Breeds with flat noses such as pugs, pit bulls, shih-tzus, boxers, and bulldogs are more prone to these heat-related issues. Moreover, breed-specific characteristics, body weight, and extreme heat and humidity can also affect the panting ability.
Some of the most common problems that can arise due to overheating or hyperthermia are:
- Breathing and heart ailments.
- Kidney and liver damage.
- Ulcers and digestion issues.
- Nervous system dysfunction and seizures.
- Even death.
Hence, it is important to keep the dog cool indoors and more so while engaging in outdoor activities. When simple cooling solutions such as wiping with wet towel or pouring water are not sufficient, you need to look at specialized dog cooling products.
Some of the most popular types of dog cooling products that can help in keeping the canines cool and comfortable are discussed below:
Dog cooling vests
Dog cooling vests, or dog cooling coats as they are sometimes called, are special types of dog vests that help in keeping the pet cool by employing the basic principles of evaporation.
In simplest terms, dog cooling vests are made of special water-retaining fabrics which are designed to retain moisture for longer time and still provide an accelerated rate of evaporation than the natural body or fur of the canine, thereby cooling the body and avoiding overheating.
Standard dog cooling vests can provide relief of up to 20-30o F, while high-performance cooling vests can lower the body temperature by up to 30-50o F.
To use, you simply need to dip the vest in cold water (or leave it in the freezer for a short time or do both) wring it and put it on the pet. Some cooling vests even allow adding ice packs to the special pockets in the vest. These vests have a multi-layer design – the top layer of the vest reflects heat, the middle layer retains the water, while the bottom layer provides a cooling effect to the pet by accelerated evaporation.
The best dog cooling vests can last for anywhere between 1 hour to 6 hours depending upon the climate before they need to be replenished with more water.
Since replenishment is very easy – simply pour water on the vest or let the pet take a dip in a lake or pond, a dog cooling vest can even help in keeping the dog cool on longer outdoor trips such as hiking and camping.
Dog cooling bandanas and collars
Dog cooling bandanas or collars are special types of dog neck gear that help in keeping the pets cool by employing the basic principles of temperature equilibrium and evaporation.
This principle states that when two surfaces with different temperatures come in contact with each other heat is transferred from the hotter surface to the cooler surface until both the surfaces attain the same temperature.
Most dog cooling collars are available in two broad categories depending upon the material they are made of:
- Fabric-based dog cooling bandanas made of special water-absorbing fabric or non-toxic polymer crystals that can be recharged with water and then provide cooling as the water evaporates. This mechanism of cooling is similar to that offered by dog cooling vests. Replenishment is easy by soaking the collar in water for a minute, wringing it and putting it back on.
- Gel-based dog cooling bandanas made of special, non-toxic gel or ice packs that provide cooling as the frozen ice of cooling gel melts. This mechanism of cooling is similar to that offered by gel-based dog cooling pads and provides a more accelerated cooling to the pet. However, recharge would require re-refrigeration, something that may not always be possible when outdoors.
The best dog cooling bandanas or collars can lower the pet’s body temperature by anywhere between 5-20 degrees and last for anywhere between 30 minutes to 3 hours depending upon the weather and outdoor temperature before they need to be replenished or recharged.
Dog cooling bandanas are perfect for moderately high temperatures. Since a dog’s heart is close to its neck, they do a good job in preventing overheating and excessive panting.
These cooling collars work well in situations where you cannot find a dog cooling vest that would fit your pooch, or in cases, your dog does not like wearing the vest. They can also be used together with cooling vests to provide all-round cooling during rigorous outdoor excursions such as hiking and camping.
Dog cooling pads and beds
Dog cooling pads, or dog cooling mats or dog cooling beds as they are sometimes called, are specially designed multi-layered dog resting pads that help in keeping the pets cool by employing the basic principles of temperature equilibrium through conduction and radiation.
So, in simplest terms, dog cooling pads and mats provide a cold surface that can absorb heat from the dog’s body making it feel cooler by 5-15o F. These pads are available in multiple sizes suitable for all pet breeds and age.
Dog cooling pads come in two different categories – water-based dog cooling pads and gel-based dog cooling pads.
- Water-based dog cooling pads: These dog cooling beds work just like human water beds. They have a water-absorbing layer that retains water for a long time and uses it as the principal cooling medium. Such cooling pads are generally cheaper and effective indoors as well as outdoors in the sunlight. However, they are more prone to leakages – a small puncture can leak water on the floor. They are also not as effective in providing quick cooling and can only lower the pet’s temperature by about 5-10 degrees. For better results, you may have to refrigerate the pad for short duration or add cold water.
- Gel-based dog cooling pads: Gel-based dog cooling pads are more popular nowadays. These dog cooling pads contain a thick layer of self-cooling, pressure-activated gel to provide the cooling. The gel used in these pads is generally non-toxic and safe for pets ( you should still consult a vet if the pet ingests it). These cooling pads work best indoors or in the shade and can be refrigerated for a short time to provide a more accelerated cooling. They are also more durable and can be carried around during travels. They are, however, costlier than most water-based dog cooling pads. And some pets may not like the squishy gel surface of the pads and hence not use them.
In addition to the two major types of dog cooling pads, there are some orthopedic foam dog beds which come with a thin layer of cooling gel or organic fabrics that are designed to provide some cooling to the pet, while also providing orthopedic cushion to the pet. These types of dog cooling beds may not provide a lot of cooling, but they do provide a soft, slush-free resting surface to the pet.
The best dog cooling beds or pads can last for anywhere between 1 hour to 5-6 hours depending upon the weather and pet’s size before they need to be replenished with more water(for water-based dog cooling pads) or left out for 15-20 minutes (for gel-based dog cooling pads).
The effectiveness of dog cooling pads depends upon the canine’s breed (furry vs fur-less pets), their size and their comfort level with such pads. Moreover, not all cooling pads are made equal and if you come across a product that is advertised to provide cooling without using a water or gel bed then the chances are it is not going to be as effective as the ones with a gel or water-absorbing layer.
Dog cooling pads or beds are a perfect resting surface to use in a dog crate or kennel during summers. And since they are quite portable, they can also work well during outdoor excursions and travel. Moreover, because of their accelerated cooling properties, dog cooling pads can be useful in providing relief during painful inflammatory ailments such as arthritis, swelling and Cushing’s disease.
Elevated dog beds
Elevated dog beds are one such gear to help in these situations. And they not only help in keeping the dog cool in summer but also help in ensuring better temperature regulation round the year, including during winters.
In their design, elevated dog beds (or raised dog beds as they are sometimes referred as) are not much different from human cots and beds – they have a chew-proof, breathable fabric cover mounted on an elevated metal or PVC plastic frame. The frame of these beds can be fixed or foldable. Fixed-frame dog beds are mostly useful for domestic use while the foldable elevated dog beds work well for travel and outdoor excursions such as beach trips and camping.
Elevated dog beds provide an efficient passive cooling (or warmth in winters) to the pets. Elevation from the ground and meshed cot provide additional air circulation to regulate the body temperature. The elevation also helps in minimizing the heat exchange with the ground surface. Moreover, clearance from the ground means that the canine can stay clear of the wet and dirty soil surface.
It is important to understand the main differences between elevated dog beds and dog cooling pads before deciding upon the dog cooling product to opt for.
As discussed above, dog cooling pads provide accelerated cooling by using chemical-based gels or water/ice fillings. Elevated dog beds, on the other hand, provide passive cooling through better air circulation and clearance from the ground.
So, while dog cooling pads are excellent in providing quick relief to the pet, elevated dog beds are more suitable for long-duration resting and all-season use. And if you want even better cooling, you can always use a portable fan to increase the circulation of air.
Dog crate fans
If you have a crate trained pet who does not mind spending a substantial amount of time in its crate, then dog crate fans are an excellent dog cooling gear to consider. Dog crate fans help in providing additional air circulation and keep the Fido cool while it rests in its crate.
In terms of design, they are not much different from portable stroller or car fans. They are lightweight, portable and provide quiet, noise-free airflow when attached to the dog’s crate or kennel through a hanger or special clip-on clasp. In order to minimize the wires and attachments, these fans rely on batteries – standard or rechargeable to run.
Dog crate fans are useful in situations when you have to leave your pupper for a long time in its crate or when the crate or kennel is in a location where there is not enough air conditioning.
In the next sections, we will look at some of the best dog cooling products of each type. We would also cover the main factors to consider before picking the best dog cooling products for your pet.
Just a word of caution. Though the dog cooling products like vests, bandanas, and fans can help in providing additional cooling and air circulation, they are not made to be effective in extreme temperatures such as inside a vehicle. So do not leave your dog alone in an enclosed vehicle for long, even with a cooling vest and/or collar on. It is not going to end well for you and your pet.
Which are the best dog cooling products and gear for indoor and outdoor use?
Material: 100% stretching spandex top layer, 92%/8% polyester-spandex middle layer and 100% polyester mesh inner layer and trim.
- XXS: Neck – 13.5″, Chest – 13.0″ – 17.0″.
- XS: Neck – 16.25″, Chest – 17.0″ – 22.0″.
- S: Neck – 19.75″, Chest – 22.0″ – 27.0″.
- M: Neck – 22.0″, Chest – 27.0″ – 32.0″.
- L: Neck – 26.5″, Chest – 32.0″ – 46.0″.
- XL: Neck – 28.0″, Chest – 36.0″ – 42.0″.
- Suitable for most dog breeds.
- Best-selling, full-coverage dog cooling vest with a high-quality, three-layer construction. Made in Vietnam under the US-based company’s quality control measures.
- Features a stretching spandex top, super-absorbent polyester/spandex middle layer and meshed 100% polyester inner layer.
- The outer layer reflects the heat and facilitates evaporation. The middle layer absorbs water and the inner layer transfers the cooling effect to the pet while keeping it dry. Rated to block UVA and UVB rays up to UPF 50+ rating.
- Once wet with water, can lower the body temperature by up to 30+-degrees and last for 4-5 hours. Suitable for most dog breeds.
- Equipped with adjustable straps with side-release buckles for a comfortable put-on and take-off, with an integrated leash portal to wear over a harness.
- Comes with a reflective trim for low-light visibility and an Integrated light loop to attach the light beacon.
- Easy to clean and machine washable in cold water and gentle cycle. Air dry by laying flat in sun.
- Available in six sizes and standard graphite grey color combination. Backed by a lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects.
For a detailed review of the dog cooling vest, you can check our article here or watch the video below:
Material: Ultra-thin, triple-layer quilted technical fabric.
- Size 12: Chest – 15.5″ – 18.0″, Length – 12.0″.
- Size 18: Chest – 23.0″ – 30.0″, Length – 18.0″.
- Size 22: Chest – 25.0″ – 32.0″, Length – 22.0″.
- Size 26: Chest – 33.5″ – 43.5″, Length – 26.0″.
- Size 28: Chest – 34.0″ – 42.0″, Length – 28.0″.
- Suitable for most dog breeds, especially ones with thick coat covers.
- High-quality, versatile dog cooling coat that is designed to provide a cooling effect for up to 8-10 hours. Made in India under US-based company’s quality control measures.
- The second-generation, three-layer design is lighter than the older vests. The outer layer reflects heat and evaporates water, the middle layer absorbs and retains water, and the inner layer provides the cooling effect while keeping the pet dry.
- Features a foldable neck collar to help in keeping the neck cool. Also has a built-in slot to slip the harness or collar leash through.
- Offers two points of adjustment with two elastic Velcro straps for a proper fit.
- Provides long term cooling up to 6-10 hours. Works best for long-haired, double-coated, or brachycephalic dog breeds.
- Available in three color combinations – Royal Blue, Pink and Orange, and eight sizes.
- Backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty against defects.
For a detailed review of the dog cooling vest, you can check our article here.
Material: Thin nylon-vinyl outer shell having a non-toxic, ice gel pad inner core.
- S: Neck – 11.8″-14.2″ for 11-30 lbs. pets.
- M: Neck – 15″-18.1″ for 30-60 lbs. pets.
- L: Neck – 17.3″-20.4″ for 60-100 lbs. pets.
- Best-selling, ultralight dog cooling bandana with a nylon-vinyl outer shell and a non-toxic, ice gel pad inner core. Made in China.
- Simple to use and recharge by just soaking in cold water for 2-3 minutes, wringing it and then putting it on the pet. For better cooling, can be put in the freezer.
- The top layer stays dry while the inner gel-layer provides cooling for 1-2 hours. The unique water-ripples design provides a cool look.
- Easy to clean – wipe with a sponge or wet cloth and let it dry.
- Available in three sizes suitable for all dog breeds – small to extra-large. Fits comfortably around the neck with a Velcro or hook-and-loop strap.
- Comes in a single blue color with a water-ripple design.
- Competitively priced at around 10 USD and backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer.
For a detailed review of the dog cooling bandana, you can check our article here.
Material: 100% polyester-based patented fabric by Coolcore. Evaporative cooling.
- S: 12” x 12”.
- M: 18” x 18”.
- L: 24” x 24”.
Price: $$ to $$$ depending upon the size.
- Award-winning, premium dog cooling bandana made of patented polyester fabric that retains the cooling capabilities throughout its lifetime. Made in the US.
- Provides three-way cooling by wicking, moisture absorption, and regulated evaporation. To use simply soak in water for 2-3 minutes, wring and shake.
- Can provide cooling of up to 30% lower than outside temperature and lasts for 1.5-3 hours. Quick recharge by re-soaking.
- Rated at UPF 30+ to provide additional protection from UVA and UVB rays.
- Easy to clean and 100% machine washable in gentle cycle.
- Available in three sizes and multiple color combinations. Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer.
Material: 40 oz. vinyl-coated polyester fabric cot cover mounted on a 100% aluminum frame with aluminum corner joints and stainless-steel fasteners. Rubber feet.
- XS: 25″ x 18″ x 6″, 8 lbs. approx.
- S: 30″ x 20″ x 6″, 9 lbs. approx.
- M: 35″ x 23″ x 6″, 10 lbs. approx.
- L: 40″ x 25″ x 6″, 11 lbs. approx.
- XL: 44″ x 27″ x 8″, 12 lbs. approx.
- XXL: 50″ x 36″ x 8″, 15 lbs. approx.
- All sizes can carry a maximum load of 250 lbs.
- Award-winning and best-selling premium elevated dog bed with a chew-proof, 40 oz. vinyl-coated polyester fabric cot surface mounted on a lightweight, aircraft-grade aluminum frame. Designed and Made in the US.
- Heavy-duty vinyl-coated polyester fabric offers best-in-class chewing and clawing resistance while providing superior comfort and air circulation. There are no gaps or loose material on the corners.
- Features a patented design with an all-aluminum straight-leg design, aluminum corner joints, and feet that provide a clearance of 6″ to 8″ from the ground. The manufacturer also offers smaller 4″ legs for using the bed in a crate. The feet are covered with rubber caps to prevent any floor damage.
- Requires thorough assembly with a screwdriver and Hex tool. Does not fold down or collapse but stays tight and stable for years.
- Easy to clean by spot-cleaning with a wet cloth. Can also be sprayed with a water hose or cleaned with soap and water. Dries quickly.
- Available in six sizes and four color combinations, suitable for all dog breeds. The manufacturer also offers replacement covers and in different materials.
- Backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty against chew-damage and defects. Premium-priced and costlier than most other elevated dog beds.
- A lighter, PVC-frame Kuranda Elevated Dog Bed is also available from the same manufacturer.
For a detailed review of the elevated dog bed, you can check our article here.
Material: Meshed 1280D High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) fabric cot cover mounted on a powder-coated steel frame.
- S: 35″ x 21″ x 8″, 6 lbs. for pets up to 50 lbs.
- M: 42″ x 25.5″ x 8″, 7 lbs. for pets up to 75 lbs.
- L: 56″ x 31″ x 8″, 8.1 lbs. for pets up to 100 lbs.
- Best-selling budget cot-style raised dog bed with a proprietary plastic-coated fabric cot cover mounted on a powder-coated steel frame. Made in China under the Australia/US-based company’s quality control measures.
- Features a high-quality, chew-resistant mesh fabric surface that provides a tight, cooling sleeping surface. The cot cover is flea, mite, mold and mildew resistant and 100% recyclable with certification from GreenGuard for environmental-friendliness.
- Comes with a sturdy frame with gently-curved frame legs to provide maximum stability. Plastic caps for feet are also included to prevent any floor damage.
- Simple assembly and disassembly with included screws and Allen wrench. However, the frame is non-collapsible and does not fold down.
- Easy to clean with soap and tap water. Hand wash only.
- Available in three sizes and four color combinations. Suitable for all dogs weighing up to 100 lbs.
- Backed by a five-year warranty on the fabric cover against UV degradation. Replacement cot covers are also available.
For a detailed review of the elevated dog bed, you can check our article here.
Material: Gel-based cooling pad. Thin nylon surface with a vinyl cooling pad shell having a non-toxic, pressure-activated cooling gel pad. No cushion cover (sold separately).
- S: 15.7.0″ x 11.8.0″ x 1.0″.
- M: 19.7.0″ x 15.7.0″ x 1.0″.
- M/L: 30.0″ x 20.0″ x 1.0″.
- L: 36.0″ x 23.6.0″ x 1.0″.
- XL: 45.0″ x 27.5.0″ x 1.0″.
- Suitable for pets weighing from 10 lbs. up to 100 lbs.
Price: $ to $$ depending upon on the size.
- Best-selling gel-based dog cooling pad with a thin nylon surface and vinyl shell cooling gel pad. Made in China under the US-based company’s quality control measures.
- Best-in-class patented pressure-activated gel pad cools the dog for up to 3 hours. Can lower the body temperature by 5-15 degrees. No refrigeration, water or electricity required.
- Provides rapid cooling and recharges and retains its shape within 15-20 minutes of non-use.
- Extremely lightweight and folds flats effortlessly for easy transportation and storage.
- Easy to clean by wiping with a soft cloth or sponge. Avoid soaking in water for a long time.
- Available in standard blue color and five sizes suitable for pets weighing from 10-100 lbs. Backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty and dedicated customer support service.
- An ultralight, machine washable fabric protective cover for the cooling pad is also sold separately by the manufacturer.
For a detailed review of the dog cooling pad, you can check the article here or check the video below:
Material: Water-based cooling pad. Multi-layer cooling pad with nylon fabric outer surface, vinyl water shell, and a non-slip bottom.
- S: 24.0″ x 17.0″ x 1.0″, requires 1.0 – 1.5 gal. water.
- M: 32.0″ x 22.0″ x 1.0″, requires 2.0 – 3.0 gal. water.
- L: 44.0″ x 32.0″ x 1.0″, requires 4.0 – 6.0 gal. water.
Price: $ to $$ depending upon the size.
- Best-selling water-based dog cooling pad featuring an improved construction and design. Made in China under the US-based company’s quality control restrictions.
- Third-generation product features a nylon fabric top and a vinyl water shell that can be filled with water through an easy fill cap and adjusted with the easy air valve.
- Unique cool core provides even distribution of liquid. Tested to lower the body temperature by up to 22-degrees and lasts 2-4 hours.
- Can be used indoors or outdoors year-round under the for temperatures less than 95-degrees. Only needs to be filled once and can be stored full or empty.
- Easy to clean with a wet cloth or sponge. Not machine washable.
- Available in three sizes and two color combinations – blue and grey. Backed by a two-year manufacturer warranty. Replacement valves and caps are available directly from the manufacturer.
For a detailed review of the dog cooling bed, you can check the article here.
Material: Heavy-duty plastic with retractable clip-on hangers.
- 8” x 6.25” x 2.5”; 6” fan with two blades.
- 2-speed operation.
- Powered by 4 C-type batteries or A/C power through an adapter. Lasts up to 30-50 hours on batteries.
- Batteries or adapter are not included.
- High-quality, durable dog crate fan with a poly-plastic body. Made in China under the US-based company’s quality control.
- Features a powerful motor that drives a wide, two-blade fan to provide ample air circulation at two operational speeds. Produces minimal noise – well under 50 decibels.
- Powered by 4 C-type batteries or an AC/DC power adapter (not included). Batteries can last for 30-50 hours.
- Comes with a built-in thermometer that measures the ambient temperature. A separate ProSelect Crate Fan Cooling System with a non-toxic freezer pack insert and a plastic housing cartridge is also sold separately to provide better cooling.
- Sleek, compact design fits all types of cages and crates through a retractable plastic hanger.
- Available in a single elegant grey color combination and backed by a two-year warranty.
For a detailed review of the dog cooling product, you can check the article here.
Material: Durable polypropylene plastic frame and fan.
- 5” x 6.1” x 2”; 5” fan with five blades.
- 2-speed operation.
- Powered by 2 D-type batteries. Lasts up to 30-55 hours on batteries.
- Hanging hook to install on the crate door.
- Batteries are not included.
- Value-for-money, portable crate fan with a durable plastic body and patented fan blade design. Made in China for the US-based company.
- Offers a two-speed operation with unique fan blades that maximize airflow and battery life and minimize noise.
- Lightweight and portable at only 9.6 ounces. Adjustable tilt can provide a directional airflow.
- Powered by two D-type batteries (not included) and can last for 30 hours on the high and 55 hours on the low-speed setting.
- Comes with a mounting hanger to install on the crate frame. A cheaper, O2Cool 5” Portable fan is also available that comes without the hanger.
- Available in over five vibrant color combinations and backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty.
- Competitively priced and cheaper than most other dog crate fans of the same size.
How to pick the best dog cooling products or gear?
With so many different types, designs and models of dog cooling products available in the market with different types, shapes, and designs, picking the best dog cooling products for your pooch can often be a challenging task.
Once you have decided upon the broad budget, you need to keep the following major factors in mind before picking the best dog cooling gear for your pet or pets:
- Primary purpose and type of cooling gear
- Building material and design
- Cooling performance
- Sizing of the cooling gear
- Cleaning and maintenance
- Additional factors and considerations
Primary purpose and type of cooling gear
Before picking the best dog cooling product for your needs, you would have to think about the primary purpose for which you are looking for such a pet cooling gear. It would govern the type of dog cooling gear you should opt for.
If you are looking for a dog sleeping bed specifically for everyday use, then an elevated dog bed is an excellent choice. And if you have an overweight pet or one prone to overheating, then a dog cooling pad would be something worth considering to provide accelerated cooling. Dog cooling pads also work really well for travel, though some elevated dog beds have a collapsible frame and can be packed to a small size.
On the other hand, if you are looking for a dog cooling product to keep the dog cooling during an outdoor physical activity, then dog cooling vests and cooling collars and bandanas are a perfect option. Dog cooling bandanas and collars also work well in situations where you cannot find a dog cooling vest that would fit your pooch, or in cases, your dog does not like wearing the vest.
Similarly, if you have a pet who spends a considerable amount of time in its crate, then having a pet-safe crate fan is a suitable choice.
In short, depending upon your primary purpose, you can decide upon the type of dog cooling product you should look at.
Building material and design
The manufacturing material, build-quality and design features of the dog cooling gear are an important factor to consider as they govern the overall durability, reliability as well as the cooling performance of the product.
For dog cooling vests, you need to check the material of the outer shell, middle layer and the inner layer along with the material of adjustable straps and zippers, if any. The best cooling vests are made of multi-layer, technical fabric blends with the top shell providing protection from UVA and UVB rays, the middle layer acting as a water retainer and the innermost layer providing the cooling effect to the pet.
Moreover, they have smartly designed Velcro straps and/or zippers to provide some room for adjustment. Furthermore, to accommodate collar leashes or additional harness, they have slits, or loops to attach the leash. Make sure you check such design features especially if you are going to use the cooling vest with a separate harness or collar leash.
Just like the dog cooling vests, dog cooling pads are made of multi-layer, technical fabric blends with the top layer providing a comfortable sleeping surface, the middle layer acting as a cooler and the bottom layer providing a non-slip surface. The cooling layer can be gel-based shell or water-retaining fabric.
Evaporative-cooling bandanas are made of technical fabric blends, either cotton-based or polyester-based which can be soaked in water and provide a cooling effect to the pet. Gel-based bandanas and ones with ice-packs have shape-retaining outer shells with zipper pockets or sleeves to put in the gel or ice pack. In order to provide a snug fit, these collars have adjustable straps with drawstrings, Velcro closures or knot straps.
For elevated dog beds, it is imperative to check the manufacturing material and design of the sleeping surface, frame and other parts (such as canopy) of the bed. Elevated dog beds with tightly mounted 600D or above cot surface and no loose material are the best options.
And if you are looking for multi-purpose beds that can work for outstation trips as well, you need to look at elevated dog beds with a foldable/collapsible design. Fixed-frame beds, though lightweight and easy to assemble and disassemble, are most suitable for household use only.
Most dog crate fans are made of BPA-free recycled polypropylene plastic. This material is durable, lightweight, relatively chew-resistant and not very costly. But they cannot withstand prolonged exposure to sunlight and inclement weather and hence suitable only for indoor crates. For outdoor crates, you need a crate fan with an ABS plastic body.
To summarize, check the manufacturing material and design features of the dog cooling product before picking the best option for your needs.
Closely related to the building material of the dog cooling gear is its cooling capacity and performance. Depending upon the primary purpose and activity, you need to pick a dog cooling gear which provides ample cooling comfort to the pet.
As discussed above, dog cooling vests, bandanas and even cooling pads provide more accelerated cooling through evaporation or heat-convection. You can generally get a temperature moderation of 5-30 degrees in most cases.
Elevated dog beds and dog crate fans provide a more passive type of cooling of maximum 5-10 degrees by improving circulation of air. However, they can provide cooling for extended periods without having to be replenished or recharged. Therefore, they are perfect for everyday indoor or outdoor use.
Check out the cooling capacity and effectiveness before pulling the plug on the best dog cooling gear.
Sizing of the cooling gear
The overall size of the product is also an important factor to consider. Most of the options we listed are available in multiple sizes, but you would need to pick the most appropriate one as per your dog’s breed, shape, size, and weight.
For dog cooling vests and collars, you would need to measure the cat’s girth and neck. While measuring, make sure that you do not measure it tightly (allow enough space for your two fingers to pass through the neck or girth). Most vests and collars have adjustable straps to provide some allowance and adjustment, so an exact match is not always necessary.
For dog cooling pads and elevated dog beds, the dog’s sleeping style and length would govern the size you need to opt for. Measure the length of the dog in its sleeping posture and add about 4 inches to determine the size of the bed or pad you would need to go with.
Most manufacturers provide their own sizing charts and videos to help you pick the best size for your pet. Check these videos and charts out. You can also check the Q&A section and reviews on Amazon for some more information. And if you are unsure of the size to get, pick the next size up.
In summary, measure-up your canine and pick the best dog cooling gear based on the pet’s size and weight.
Cleaning and maintenance
To prevent any soiling or odor build-up due to an “accident”, you would need to clean the cooling gear from time to time. Therefore, it is important to pick an option that is easy to clean and maintain.
Spot cleaning dog cooling products is easy – simply wipe the surface with a wet cloth. For a more thorough cleaning hand or machine wash may be required.
Just make sure you all follow the recommended cleaning mechanism – machine washing a product which only supports hand wash can lead to the product losing its cooling capabilities. The product description and Q&A section often contain this information. And if you are still in doubt, you can always reach out to the manufacturer.
Additional factors and considerations
In addition to the major factors discussed above, there are some other considerations that can make a particular product a better choice over other such products.
While it might not have a big impact on the functionality of the cooling gear, the color combination and in which the cooling product is available is also something to look at, especially for dog cooling vests, pads and collars.
Bright, reflective colors and designs are not only fashionable but also help in doing a better job at reflecting the sunlight. And bright colors for vests and collars also help to ensure that a walking dog is widely visible and easily noticeable. Most of the options that we have listed are available in multiple color combinations, so you can pick one as per your preferences.
The availability of replacement parts and accessories is also something to consider.
Finally, one of the most important additional consideration is the warranty and post-purchase customer service support offered on the product by the manufacturer. All the dog cooling products that we have listed are backed by excellent post-purchase support and warranties, so you can pick any of these options without worrying about their durability. Just make sure you make your purchase only from authorized re-sellers and register your product after purchasing if required.
You can look at all these additional factors before zeroing in on the best dog cooling product for your canine. And if in doubt, pick any of our recommendations – you would not be disappointed.
Final thoughts on the best dog cooling products for indoor and outdoor use
Canines rely on panting to cool themselves down, which may not be always sufficient to cool the pet in hot summers when the temperature sometimes soar past 100 o F.
In this article, we looked at some of the best dog cooling products and gear available in the market to keep your Fido cool and comfortable both indoors and outdoors. We listed the most popular types of dog cooling products – cooling vests, collars, elevated beds, cooling pads and even crate fans.
We also discussed the major factors to keep in mind before picking the best dog cooling gear for your pooch.
We hope that you found this article useful and it would help you in picking the best dog cooling gear for your pet. Please provide your feedback by commenting below or contacting us separately. Until next time, happy summertime with your Fido!