Dogs, like humans, just love the outdoors. Be it an outstation travel, a long road trip or a camping or backpacking adventure, you and your beloved canine can have a lot of fun. However, just as you need a comfortable surface to lie down after a day of adventures, so does your furry friend – you need to keep his/her sleeping arrangements in mind during such an excursion. Enter dog travel beds to the scene.
In this article, we will look at some of the best dog travel beds available in the market. These lightweight, compact and portable dog beds provide enough cushion and weather protection for a home-like comfort to your pooch. And most of them work well with cats too! We will also list out the factors to consider while picking these dog travel beds and share our top picks for both roll-up travel dog beds and elevated dog beds.
So, buckle up and read on to find out which are the best dog travel beds for your Fido!
Best dog travel beds listSome of the best dog travel beds and elevated dog travel cots available in the market are listed below:
|Chuckit! Canine Hardware Dog Travel Bed||39" x 30" x 2"|
|Carlson Pet Products Elevated Folding Pet Bed||S/M: 26” x 26” x 9”|
L: 46” x 24” x 7”
|Ruffwear Highlands Backpacking Dog Bed||35" x 26" x 2"|
|Kurgo Loft Wander Dog Camping Bed||M: 36" x 27" x 2"|
L: 48" x 36" x 3"
|Lightspeed Outdoors Self-Inflating Dog Travel Bed||42" x 32" x 2"|
|PetMaker Roll-Up Portable Dog Bed||37” x 24” x 2”|
|DogHelios Trail-Barker Multi-Surface Travel Dog Bed||39” x 26” x 4”|
|K&H Pet Products Travel/SUV Pet Bed||S: 39” x 25” x 2”|
L: 48” x 30” x 2”
|Gen7Pets Trailblazer Pet Travel Cot||M: 30" x 21" x 8"|
L: 36" x 22" x 8"
|GigaTent Elevated Pet Cot||S/M: 35” x 24” x 8”|
L: 42” x 24” x 8”
|SuperJare Elevated Pet Bed with Canopy||L: 36” x 30” x 9”/35”|
XL: 48” x 36” x 9”/43”
Which are the best dog travel beds?
Material: Soft, polysuede quilted top and a ripstop nylon bottom.
Size & Weight: 39″ x 30″ x 2″ ; 1.4 lbs.
- Best-selling, travel dog bed with a soft, double-layered and double-stitched polysuede top surface that provides a decent cushion to the pet.
- Features a ripstop nylon liner on the bottom that is water-resistant and durable enough to withstand regular use.
- Machine washable in a gentle cycle and air-dry. Comes with a built-in loop for easy hanging.
- Portable and lightweight. A nylon stuff sack is included for easy transportation.
- Available in a standard blue and gray color-combination and large size suitable for all dog breeds.
- Backed by a 6-month manufacturer warranty.
The best-selling Chuckit! Canine Hardware Dog Travel Bed is an excellent option for pet owners who are looking for a decent portable dog travel bed and do not want to spend a fortune. Chuckit!/Canine Hardware is an established name in the field of canine products and this dog bed is no exception.
The Chuckit! Dog Travel Bed is a double-layer dog travel bed featuring a soft, polysuede quilted top and a ripstop nylon bottom. The outer shell of the bed is also made of nylon. The bed is made in China under strict quality control measures enforced by the manufacturer.
The bed is double-quilted and has dual-stitched sides and top surface, which help in ensuring that the bed keeps its shape when in use. With 1-inch filler and an additional 1-inch fabric, the pet gets an overall cushion of around 2-inches. The bottom bed liner is dirt and moisture resistant.
The dog travel bed is durable enough to withstand moderate clawing by the pet. To ensure maximum life, make sure that your pet has its nails clipped frequently. The bed is a generous 39″ x 30″ in dimensions, which is big enough for most dog breeds – small, medium and large. At 1.4 pounds, the bed is not the lightest option, but is still very portable. And it comes with a nylon stuff sack for easy transportation.
The Chuckit! Dog Travel Bed is pretty easy to maintain. It is machine washable in the gentle cycle. Some pet owners have even used heat-less drying in the dryer, but we recommend air-drying the bed to prevent clumping of the filling. The dog bed has a sewn-loop for conveniently hanging the bed to air dry.
The only drawback you may feel with this bed is that it does produce a crinkling sound when the dog moves around on it. So, if you have a dog that gets spooked even by the slightest noise, you may look at other fabric options (non-nylon, standard crate beds would work best).
The Chuckit! Canine Hardware Dog Travel Bed is backed by a six-month manufacturer warranty against defects.
Material: High-quality nylon fabric cot mounted on an all-metal steel frame.
Size & Weight: S/M: 26” x 26” x 9” – 3 lbs. ; L: 46” x 24” x 7” – 4 lbs.
- Multi-functional, elevated dog travel bed with a high-quality nylon fabric cot and all-metal steel frame.
- The cot has double reinforced stitching on the sides for added durability.
- Simple fold-and-go design and comes with a carry case for easy storage and transportation.
- Competitively priced and available in two sizes and multiple colors. Suitable for pets up to 95 lbs. in weight.
- Backed by a 30-day return policy and 90-day manufacturer warranty.
If you are looking for a budget, lightweight elevated dog travel bed for occasional use, then you can consider the 80XX-series Carlson Elevated Pet Bed.
The Carlson Pet Products Elevated Folding Pet Bed features a high-quality, waterproof nylon cot surface mounted on an all-metal powder-coated steel frame. The cot is double-stitched on the sides and corners for additional reinforcement.
The elevated dog travel bed is available in two sizes and has dimensions of 26” x 26” x 9” for Medium and 46” x 24” x 7” for Large travel bed. The medium dog bed is suitable for pets up to 50-60 lbs. while the large bed is suitable for dogs weighing up to 90 lbs.
The Carlson pet travel bed has a simple fold-and-go design with a collapsible metal frame that evenly distributes the weight across the bed. The bed weighs a mere 3 lbs. for the medium and 4 lbs. for the large sized option, making it one of the lightest elevated dog travel bed in the market. It comes with a carrying case for easy storage and transportation.
The elevated pet travel bed is available in multiple color combinations and backed by a 90-day manufacturer warranty. And one of the best features of this bed is the price. It is cheaper than most other portable elevated dog beds in the market.
Material: Soft, foam core and a weather-resistant brushed polyester fabric shell.
Size & Weight: 35″ x 26″ x 2″; 12.7 oz.
- High-end, ultralight dog travel bed with a closed-cell foam core and a weather-resistant brushed polyester fabric shell.
- Asymmetric stitching on the sides and the top surface help in keeping the fillings intact even after frequent use.
- Lightweight at only 12.7 oz. and packable to merely 12″ x 4″. Comes with a drawstring stuff sack for easy transportation.
- Comes with an integrated sleeve to add Ruffwear Highlands pad (sold separately) for more cushion.
- Machine washable and quick-drying in air or gentle dryer cycle.
- Backed by a limited lifetime warranty on materials and craftsmanship.
- Costlier than most other dog travel beds.
- A Ruffwear Highlands Dog Sleeping Bag that comes with an integrated sleeping cover is also available from the same manufacturer.
Material: Ripstop Nylon fabric top and a waterproof PP Rufftex non-slip bottom.
Size & Weight: M: 36″ x 27″ x 2″- 2 lbs. ; L: 48″ x 36″ x 3″ – 3.5 lbs.
Price: $$ to $$$
- High-quality, mid-range dog sleeping bed with a quilted, microtomic ripstop Nylon top and a waterproof Rufftex non-slip bottom.
- Features a generous soft poly-fill loft that provides an excellent cushion to the pet.
- Machine washable in the delicate/gentle cycle and air dry.
- Compact and packable. Rolls up to a size of 12″ x 8″ (M) or 17″ x 9.5″ (L) for easy transportation. Also has a built-in soft handle for carrying or attaching to the backpack.
- Available in two colors and two sizes, suitable for small, medium and large dog breeds.
- Backed by a hassle-free Kurgo Lifetime Warranty against manufacturing defects.
Material: PU coated polyester-cotton and nylon fabric.
Size & Weight: 39” x 26” x 4”; 3 lbs.
- Unique, multi-surface dog travel bed with a plastic-coated polyester-cotton and nylon fabric surface. Can be used as a sleeping pad or sleeping bag.
- Features the proprietary Helios “black shark” technology fabric that makes the dog bed weatherproof and waterproof while retaining heat and keeping the pet comfortable.
- The bed has perimeter zippers which can be opened to double the surface area and also allow connecting multiple beds together.
- Hand wash (preferred) and air dry.
- Comes with a nylon carrying strap for easy roll-up and transportation.
- Available in four color combinations and backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty.
Material: Fleece fabric top with polyester base, shell and side linings.
Size & Weight: 42″ x 32″ x 2″; 3.6 lbs.
- Oversized dog travel bed with a thick fleece top and durable water-resistant polyester shell and side linings.
- Has a self-inflating foam that inflates to 1.5-inches simply by twisting a nozzle. Further cushion adjustments can be made by blowing the air in or pushing air out through the valve.
- Large size that is still quite packable – deflates and rolls up to 32″ x 6″. Comes with built-in nylon buckle straps for easy storage and transport.
- Machine washable and easy to maintain.
- Available in a single color and backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty.
Material: Faux fur top surface with polyester canvas cover and side linings.
Size & Weight: 37” x 24” x 2” ; 1.8 lbs.
- Ultralight plush dog travel bed with a thick faux fur surface and durable water-resistant polyester canvas cover and side linings.
- Features a 100% Polyurethane foam that is kept secure by striped baffles. The foam and fur provide nice warmth to the pet in cold weather.
- Hand wash and air dry.
- Comes with a carry handle, hook and loop fasteners for compact storage and transportation. Rolls up to a 24″ x 7.5″ x 7.5″ size.
- Available in two color combinations and single size. Backed by a 30-day money-back warranty.
Material: 600D vinyl backed nylon and soft microfleece cushion.
Size & Weight: S: 39” x 25” x 2” – 5 lbs.; L: 48” x 30” x 2” – 7 lbs.
Price: $ to $$
- Smartly-designed dog travel/SUV bed with a removable microfleece cushion and 600D, water-resistant nylon shell and bolster.
- The water-resistant bolster on the sides provides maximum comfort during trips. Anti-slip bottom keeps the bed secure.
- Available in two sizes – small size for small to mid-sized SUV and large for a mid to full-size SUV or truck.
- Machine wash in gentle cycle and air dry.
- Comes in two color combinations – gray and tan. Backed by a 1-year manufacturer warranty.
Material: Meshed polyester fabric with powder-coated steel frame.
Size & Weight: 30″ x 21″ x 8″ – 7 lbs. ; 36″ x 22″ x 8″ – 10 lbs.
Price: $$ to $$$
- Unique elevated pet bed that works best for pets who like to cuddle-up while sleeping.
- Features a Smart-Air mesh fabric cot with elevated sides and raised back that provide natural cushion and ample ventilation.
- Durable double-stitched cot and rust-resistant tubular steel frame provide superior support.
- Tool-free assembly with an snapped design for elevation.
- Easy to clean by wiping with a wet cloth or spraying with a water hose.
- Available in two sizes and two colors – blue and red. Backed by a 1-year manufacturer warranty.
Material: Polyester fabric cot mounted on a tubular steel frame.
Size & Weight: S/M: 35” x 24” x 8” – 7 lbs. ; L: 42” x 24” x 8” – 10 lbs.
Price: $$ to $$$
- Portable elevated dog travel bed with a heavy-duty polyester fabric cot and a rust-resistant, powder-coated tubular steel frame.
- Foldable U-shaped legs provide proper weight distribution. Folds in half to 3-inches (Small) or 5.5 inches (large).
- Comes with a bonus storage bag. Suitable for pets up to 100 lbs.
- Easy to clean with a wet cloth or water spray.
- Comes in three colors- black, green and tan. Backed by a 1-year manufacturer warranty.
Material: 1680D Oxford fabric and steel frame.
Size & Weight: L: 36” x 30” x 9”/35” – 7 lbs. ; XL: 48” x 36” x 9”/43” – 10 lbs.
- Budget elevated dog travel bed with a meshed 1680D mold-resistant, polyester cot mounted on a tubular steel frame. A polyester fabric canopy is also included.
- Meshed cot surface provides proper air circulation and ventilation to the pet. The removable canopy provides protection from the sun.
- Middle frame beams provide additional support and weight distribution.
- Comes with a bonus storage bag for transportation.
- Easy to clean with a wet cloth, hand wash and air dry.
- Available in two sizes. Large size is suitable for 75 lbs. pets and XL is suitable for pets up to 120 lbs. Comes with an instruction manual for convenient installation.
Honorable mentions for best dog travel beds
In addition to the top 10 dog travel beds that we listed above for road trips, camping and other outdoor excursions with your Fido, there are a few additional dog travel beds that are worth checking out if you are looking for some more options:
This uniquely-designed, hexagonal-shaped portable dog bed features a brushed twill top layer and weather resistant bottom layer with generous 1-1.5-inch synthetic insulation. This dog bed is suitable for small to medium dogs weighing less than 70 lbs. The portable dog bed is backed by a limited lifetime warranty by the manufacturer.
This best-selling dog crate bed is also suitable for being used as a travel bed for a road trip with your pooch. It features an ultra-soft synthetic polyester top with an anti-skid bottom. The bed is available in sizes ranging from 18-inches to 48-inches and is available in three colors and backed by a 1-year manufacturer warranty.
This large orthopedic dog crate bed is also another popular product for use as a car or SUV dog travel bed. It features a soft premium PP cotton cushion with an anti-slip bottom. This dog bed is machine washable and available in three colors and multiple sizes suitable for all dog breeds.
This elevated, portable dog bed is another decent dog travel bed option to consider. This portable dog travel cot features a cushioned heavy-duty, water-resistant polyester oxford sleeping pad attached to a 7.5-inch powder-coated steel frame. This pet travel bed is available in two sizes and four colors and suitable for dogs weighing up to 40-50 lbs.
This cooling dog bed is a decent option to consider if you are looking for an elevated dog bed with a removable canopy tent. It has a breathable mesh dog bed supported by a durable steel frame, that can support any pet weighing 100 lbs. or less. The dog bed is available in two colors and comes with a travel bag for easy transportation.
How to pick the best dog travel beds?
With so many different options available in the market including portable soft travel beds and elevated dog travel cots, picking the best dog travel beds can be a challenging task. What you need is a dog travel bed that provides a home-like sleeping comfort to the canine and is durable and lightweight enough to be carried along on the road or outdoor trip.
A perfect dog travel bed is one that is:
- Cozy and comfortable to the dog – stays warm or cool as per the weather conditions.
- Retain its shape and position during napping.
- Weather-resistant and waterproof or at least water-resistant.
- Durable enough to withstand minor clawing or scratching by the canine.
- Portable and lightweight and easy to assemble/disassemble and transport.
- Easy to maintain – odor-resistant, washable and quick drying.
To pick the absolute perfect dog travel bed for your pooch, you need to keep the following major factors in mind:
- Primary purpose
- Construction material and weather protection
- Size and portability
- Cleaning and Maintenance
- Additional Factors and Considerations
Before picking the best dog travel bed for your canine, the first thing you need to consider is the primary purpose for which you are seeking such a portable dog bed option. This is important as it governs the type of dog travel bed you should opt for.
Some major considerations to keep in mind are:
- Vehicle travel or self-carry: If you are looking for a dog travel bed for outdoor adventures such as hiking and backpacking with your pooch, then you need to pick an ultralight, roll-up sleeping-bag type dog travel bed that can be stowed with a dog backpack or your own hiking gear. On the other hand, if you are car-camping, RVing or going on a road trip in your SUV or truck, you can also opt for an SUV dog travel bed or a metal-frame elevated dog travel bed. Some elevated dog travel beds even come with a canopy for protection from sun and rain.
- Seasons and Weather: If you are looking for a cool, summer dog travel bed, then you should consider getting an elevated dog travel bed such as the Carlson Pet Products Elevated Folding Pet Bed. Such portable dog beds provide better ventilation and air-flow and help in keeping your pet cool and comfortable. Furthermore, dog travel beds also provide your canine with some protection from wet surfaces and creepy crawlers. On the other hand, roll-up sleeping beds such as the DogHelios Trail-Barker Multi-Surface Travel Dog Bed provide better warmth and temperature regulation in cold weather and hence should be preferred in such conditions.
- Special needs of the pet: If you are traveling with an aged dog or one with special health conditions such as hip or joint problems, then your pooch would love the elevated dog travel beds as they provide better support and comfort to the pet. On the other hand, if your dog loves a soft, cushion surface, then it would love the lofted surface of a foam-filled soft dog travel bed.
In summary, consider the primary purpose for which you are seeking a portable bed before picking the best type of dog travel bed you should opt for. You can also look at getting more than one for your different needs.
Construction material and weather protection
Once you have decided upon the type of dog travel bed you would like to opt for, you should look at the manufacturing material of the dog bed to ascertain its durability, build quality and weather protection.
The elevated dog travel beds feature a synthetic fabric cot that is tightly mounted on an elevated, all-metal frame. The elevated design provides a natural cushion to the pet.
The frame is generally made of rust-proof and weather-safe tubular powder steel to keep the weight of the bed to a minimum while still providing the requisite support for the dog’s weight. The metal frame has a U-shaped or straight-leg design and is collapsible. Most elevated dog travel beds have a meshed cot to improve the air-flow. However, this makes the bed surface less durable to clawing by the pet.
When it comes to pad-type dog travel beds, camping and backpacking dog travel beds are made of ripstop nylon or nylon-like material that is water and abrasion resistant and a slip-resistant waterproof polyester or nylon bottom. Some of the most comfortable camping dog beds also have a fleece or soft quilted cushion on the top, making them more comfortable and cozy for the pet.
The liners and side of such beds are double or triple-stitched to keep the filling intact and prevent it from lumping during sleep or washing. Generally, this filling is about 1 – 1.5-inches-thick, so such a portable dog travel bed has a cushion of 2-3 inches maximum. Crate bolster beds and SUV dog travel beds provide slightly more cushion than the backpacking dog travel beds.
Closely related with the construction material of a dog travel bed are the weather and moisture protection that it provides. Though most of the options that we listed are water-resistant, it is important to understand the difference between waterproof and water-resistant materials. The water-resistant material would not wick the moisture but cannot provide protection against moderate to high exposure to water or submersion. Waterproof material, on the other hand, provides a more complete protection against the water. So, keep this in mind especially if you are looking for a backpacking dog travel bed.
Check the manufacturing material of the dog bed to pick the best one for your pet.
Size and portability
The packed and expanded size of a dog travel bed is also an important factor to consider. Your dog’s breed, size and your own personal preference governs the size of bed you need to pick.
Depending upon your dog’s sleeping posture – curl-up or sprawled-out, measure the sleeping length and pick a dog bed of appropriate size. When in doubt, it is worthwhile to size-up so that your pet has enough surface to spread out. Just remember that larger the dog bed, bigger would be its collapsed packing size.
Closely associated with the size of the bed is its carrying weight. The weight of the bed is especially important if you are backpacking or thru-hiking with your pet and carrying your pet’s gear as well. For such activities, you should consider only soft dog travel beds that weigh between 1.0 to 2.5 lbs. The Ruffwear Highlands Backpacking Dog Bed is one of the lightest options to carry among dog travel beds.
Elevated dog beds or SUV travel dog beds are only suitable for car camping, RVing or road trips. These portable dog beds are heavier than conventional dog travel beds, but they are designed to collapse to a compact size for stowing in a car, SUV or truck.
Many dog travel beds are available in multiple sizes, so you can pick the right one in terms of comfort and packing size.
Check out the overall shape, expanded size and packed size of the bed before picking the most suitable option for your pooch.
Cleaning and maintenance
To prevent any soiling or odor build-up due to an “accident”, you would need to clean the dog travel bed from time to time. Therefore, it is important to pick an option that is easy to clean and maintain.
Most of the options that we listed are machine washable and can be air dried. Some dog beds such as the Chuckit! Canine Hardware Dog Travel Bed even include a built-in loop for easy hanging. Elevated dog travel beds can be wiped with a wet cloth or spray-washed with light soap and water.
Based on your preferences, pick dog travel beds that are machine washable and easy to clean and maintain.
Additional factors and miscellaneous considerations
In addition to the major factors discussed above, there are some other miscellaneous considerations that can make a particular product a better choice over other travel dog beds.
One such consideration is the packing accessories that come with the bed as these accessories would make transportation easy. All the options that we listed come with some sort of packing arrangement – either a separate carry bag or stuff sack or built-in straps with handles for easy packing and transportation.
Another additional factor is the color combination in which the bed is available. Bright, vibrant colors are easy to detect for you and your dog even in low lights. This is also important to ensure that the pet does not consider the bed as a play mat and shred it in no time. Some of the options that we listed are available in multiple color combinations, so you can pick one as per your preference.
Finally, one of the most important additional consideration is the warranty and post-purchase customer service support offered on the bed by the manufacturer. While there is nothing like an indestructible dog bed, the longer the warranty period, the more durable the dog bed would be. Most dog travel beds that we listed are backed by excellent post-purchase support and warranties, so you can use such dog beds for a long time without worrying about their durability. Just make sure you make your purchase only from authorized re-sellers and register your product after purchasing if required.
You can look at all these additional factors before zeroing in on the best dog travel bed for your needs.
Final thoughts on the best dog travel beds
If you love having road trips, travel or outdoor excursions such as camping and RVing with your canine companion, then you definitely need to keep your canine’s sleeping arrangements in mind. After all, a comfortable and convenient sleeping system for your pooch would make things a lot more enjoyable for you and your beloved pet.
In this article, we looked at some of the best dog travel beds available in the market. We looked at all the major categories of such beds – the soft, portable dog travel beds and elevated dog travel beds. Soft dog beds are suitable for hiking and backpacking while elevated dog travel beds are most suitable for car-camping, RVing and road travels. We also looked at some factors to consider before picking the best dog travel bed for your dog.
We hope that you found this article useful and it would help you in picking the best dog travel bed for your canine companion. Do let us know your feedback and questions by commenting below. Until next time, happy traveling with your canine companion!