Outdoor walks and playtime are an important activity for dogs, not only for doing business but also for mental stimulation and exercise. Outdoor activities are not a big issue in normal weather, but in the hot summers, they can often become a challenge. After all, it is not always possible to fit in only an outdoor session in the early mornings or late evenings.
In our article on the best dog cooling vests, we saw how these dog coats and jackets can help in keeping the canines cool and happy even when the temperatures soar. However, if you cannot find a vest that fits your dog or have a pooch that hates putting on one, or if you are looking for some extra cooling to give with a vest, then a dog cooling bandana or collar is a perfect choice.
In this article, we will look at some of the best dog cooling bandanas and collars available in the market. We will cover all the different types of dog cooling collars that are available in the market and also discuss some of the factors to consider before picking the best dog cooling bandana or collar for your pooch.
So buckle up and read on!
Also, check out our article on the best dog cooling pads to provide your Fido a cool sleeping surface when indoors.
Best dog cooling bandana and collar listSome of the best dog cooling bandanas and collars to help your pupper beat the heat this summer are listed below:
|All For Paws Chill Out Ice Bandana||S: Neck-11.8"-14.2"|
|The Dog's Right! Dog Cooling Collar Bandana||M: Neck-14”-16”|
|Novel Brands K9 Chill Dog Cooling Collar||S/M: Neck-8"-20"|
|Coolaid Canine Cooling Bandana||S: 12” x 12”|
M: 18” x 18”
L: 24” x 24”
|Canada Pooch Cooling Dog Bandana||S: Neck – 7”-11”.|
M: Neck – 12”-16”.
L: Neck – 17”-23”.
|The Chill Collar by All Four Paws||S: Neck-13.5”-15.5”, 5” dia.|
M: Neck-16.5”-18.5”, 6” dia.
L: Neck-19”-21”, 7” dia.
XL: Neck-22.5”-24.5”, 8” dia.
|Arf Pets Dog Cooling Collar||S: Neck-9"-12", 1.8" wide |
M: Neck-12"-14.5", 2.2" wide
L: Neck-19"-21.5", 2.0" wide
|Stock Show Dog Cooling Bandana||Neck-17.7”-23.6”|
|Go Fresh Pet Ice Band Dog Cooling Bandana||XS: Neck – 9″-12″.|
S/M: Neck – 12″-18".
L/XL: Neck – 18″-24″.
|Brave Bark U.S. Army Pet Cooling Bandana||S/M: Neck – 12″-17".|
L/XL: Neck – 17″-23″.
What are dog cooling bandanas or collars and how are they useful?
Hot summers are not the most enjoyable times for dogs, especially the ones who enjoy daily outdoor walks. Canines do not sweat like humans (dogs only sweat from areas like nose and paw pads) and instead rely on panting to manage their body temperatures. Insufficient heat regulation and heat stress can cause serious health problems such as liver and kidney damage and can lead to severe heat stroke and even death.
Breed-specific characteristics, body weight, and extreme heat and humidity can affect this panting ability. Breeds with flat noses such as pugs, pitbulls and bulldogs are more prone to these heat-related issues.
So, it is important to keep the dog cool when taking him/her outdoors in the sun. Dog cooling bandanas and collars are one such gear to help in these situations, especially when the temperatures are only moderately high or the outdoor activity is short – not more than an hour.
In technical terms, dog cooling bandanas or collars are special types of dog neck gear that help in keeping the pet cool by employing the basic principles of temperature equilibrium and evaporation.
Most dog cooling collars are available in two broad categories depending upon the material they are made of:
- Fabric-based dog cooling bandanas made of special water-absorbing fabric or non-toxic polymer crystals that can be recharged with water and then provide cooling as the water evaporates. This mechanism of cooling is similar to that offered by dog cooling vests. Replenishment is easy by soaking the collar in water for a minute, wringing it and putting it back on.
- Gel-based dog cooling bandanas made of special, non-toxic gel or ice packs that provide cooling as the frozen ice of cooling gel melts. This mechanism of cooling is similar to that offered by gel-based dog cooling pads and provides a more accelerated cooling to the pet. However, recharge would require re-refrigeration, something that may not always be possible when outdoors.
Irrespective of the type of bandanas, the best dog cooling bandanas or collars can lower the pet’s body temperature by anywhere between 5-20 degrees and provide cooling for anywhere between 30 minutes to 3 hours before they need to be replenished or recharged. The exact cooling duration depends upon the weather conditions and outdoor temperature.
Dog cooling bandanas are perfect for moderately high temperatures. Since a dog’s heart is close to its neck, these neck gears do a good job in preventing overheating and excessive panting.
Dog cooling collars work well in situations wherein you cannot find a dog cooling vest that would fit your pooch, or in cases, your dog does not like wearing a vest. They can also be used together with dog cooling vests to provide additional cooling during rigorous outdoor excursions such as hiking and camping.
From the above discussion, it is clear that dog cooling bandanas are an excellent gear to keep your dog cool even in high heat. Now let us look at some of the best dog cooling bandanas and collars available in the market!
Just a word of caution. Though products like dog cooling vests and collars can help in managing a dog’s body temperature, they are not made to be effective in extreme temperatures such as inside a car. So do not leave your dog alone in an enclosed vehicle for long, even with a cooling vest and/or collar on. It is not going to end well for you and your pet.
Which are the best dog cooling bandanas and collars?
Material: Thin nylon-vinyl outer shell having a non-toxic, ice gel pad inner core.
- S: Neck – 11.8″-14.2″ for 11-30 lbs. pets.
- M: Neck – 15″-18.1″ for 30-60 lbs. pets.
- L: Neck – 17.3″-20.4″ for 60-100 lbs. pets.
- Best-selling, ultralight dog cooling bandana with a nylon-vinyl outer shell and a non-toxic, ice gel pad inner core. Made in China.
- Simple to use and recharge by just soaking in cold water for 2-3 minutes, wringing it and then putting it on the pet. For better cooling, can be put in the freezer.
- The top layer stays dry while the inner gel-layer provides cooling for 1-2 hours. The unique water-ripples design provides a cool look.
- Easy to clean – wipe with a sponge or wet cloth and let it dry.
- Available in three sizes suitable for all dog breeds – small to extra-large. Fits comfortably around the neck with a Velcro or hook-and-loop strap.
- Comes in a single blue color with a water-ripple design.
- Competitively priced at around 10 USD and backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer.
If you are looking for a value-for-money dog bandana to help cool down your doggo during an outdoor excursion, then the best-selling All For Paws Chill Out Ice Bandana is your best bet.
The ultralight All For Paws Chill Out Ice Bandana is a gel-based ice pack cooling bandana that features a thin, puncture-resistant nylon-vinyl outer shell and a non-toxic, icy cool gel pad inner core. The bandana is made in China under strict quality control measures, so you need not worry about the gel pad leaking at any stage.
The Chill Out bandana is extremely easy to use and provides cooling by both evaporation and temperature equilibrium principles. You only need to soak the bandana in cold water for 2-3 minutes and/or put it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes, wring it properly and then put on the pet’s neck. This would prevent any discomfort and temperature shock to the pet. Since the bandana is gel-based, it does not soak water and hence stays lightweight even when charged.
The top layer of the bandana stays cool yet dry for 1-2 hours and can be easily recharged with normal or cold water. Most dogs are comfortable with the vinyl surface, though some pets may not like this ” somewhat plasticky” surface. so, keep this in mind before ordering one. Generally, the pets who do not like sleeping on gel-based dog cooling pads or are generally averse to wearing collars would not like the feel of this bandana.
The bandana has a unique water-ripple design that provides it a cool look. It comes in three sizes suitable for all dog breeds from 10 lbs. to 100-110 lbs. And to ensure a proper fit around the neck a Velcro or hook-and-loop strap is provided. The strap can provide some allowance/adjustment for a perfect fit, but you should always measure your pet’s neck before picking the right size.
Cleaning and storage is easy. You can simply wipe-off the outer surface with a wet cloth or sponge and let it air dry. Just make sure that you thoroughly dry the bandana before storing it to prevent hardening of gel.
The Chill Out bandana is available in the single bright blue color with a water-ripple pattern. And the best part is that it is competitively priced under 10 USD, so you get maximum value-for-money. The bandana is backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer, so you can purchase one without any worry.
Material: 100% cotton canvas fabric with Velcro straps and hidden mesh pocket for included gel ice pack strip.
Size: Neck – 14”-16” suitable for all medium to large dog breeds.
- Innovative dog cooling bandana with a 100% cotton canvas fabric collar and hidden pocket for four gel ice packs. Made in China.
- Provides multiple ways to provide wicking and cooling – use frozen ice packs (included) in the collar, and/or soak the collar in water for added cooling effect.
- The ice packs and collar provide cooling for 1.5-2.5 hours. You can also use ice cubes instead of the ice pack.
- Comes in a single size suitable for medium to medium/large dogs(Huskies, Bulldogs etc.). The Velcro strap at the ends provides some adjustment.
- Easy to clean – handwash with soap and water, and air dry.
- Available in a single blue color. Backed by a satisfaction guaranteed commitment.
Material: Lightweight synthetic polyester technical fabric. Evaporative cooling.
- S/M: Neck – 8″-20″ suitable for small to medium dog breeds.
- L/XL: Neck – 20″-30″ suitable for all medium to large dog breeds.
- Soft and comfortable dog cooling bandana with a multi-layer 100% synthetic technical fabric. Made in China.
- Simple to use and recharge by just soaking in water for 5 minutes. For better cooling, can be put in the freezer.
- The inner layer stays dry while the non-touching top layers hold water to provide evaporative cooling for 0.5-1.0 hours.
- Comes with a built-in hole to allow attaching a leash through it.
- Rated at UPF 50 to provide full protection from UVA and UVB rays.
- Easy to clean – machine washable in gentle cycle and air dry.
- Available in two sizes and single blue color. Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer.
Material: 100% polyester-based patented fabric by Coolcore. Evaporative cooling.
- S: 12” x 12”.
- M: 18” x 18”.
- L: 24” x 24”.
Price: $$ to $$$ depending upon the size.
- Award-winning, premium dog cooling bandana made of patented polyester fabric that retains the cooling capabilities throughout its lifetime. Made in the US.
- Provides three-way cooling by wicking, moisture absorption, and regulated evaporation. To use simply soak in water for 2-3 minutes, wring and shake.
- Can provide cooling of up to 30% lower than outside temperature and lasts for 1.5-3 hours. Quick recharge by re-soaking.
- Rated at UPF 30+ to provide additional protection from UVA and UVB rays.
- Easy to clean and 100% machine washable in gentle cycle.
- Available in three sizes and multiple color combinations. Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer.
Material: Lightweight, multi-layer cotton/polyester blend fabric (100% Polyester shell and 50% Polyester, 50% Rayon interiors). Evaporative cooling.
- S: Neck – 7”-11”.
- M: Neck – 12”-16”.
- L: Neck – 17”-23”.
- Fashionable, full-sized dog neck bandana made of lightweight cotton/polyester blend fabric. Made in China for the Canada-based company.
- Fully reversible to create two different looks
- Simple to use and recharge by just soaking in water. The body-touching inner layer stays dry and cool while the middle layer holds water and top layer provides evaporation.
- Provides evaporative cooling for 0.5-1.5 hours, once replenished with water.
- Easy to clean – handwash and air dry.
- Available in three sizes and two patterns – Ice Blue and Rainbow.
- Backed by a lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects and replacement on a case-to-case basis.
Material: Flexible silicone shell fillable with water. Freezer-friendly. Plastic locking buckle.
- S: Neck – 13.5”-15.5”, 5” diameter, 2.25″ wide, 1.25″ thick.
- M: Neck – 16.5”-18.5”, 6” diameter, 2.25″ wide, 1.25″ thick.
- L: Neck – 19”-21”, 7” diameter, 2.25″ wide, 1.25″ thick.
- XL: Neck – 22.5”-24.5”, 8” diameter, 2.25″ wide, 1.25″ thick.
- Innovative dog cooling collar which can double up as a small water storage. Made in China.
- Made of a sturdy yet flexible silicone shell which retains its shape even when frozen. Has a plastic buckle to secure the collar.
- Easy to recharge. Simply unlock the buckle, fill with water, straighten-up to remove any bubbles and freeze in the freezer.
- Unique threaded plug design forms a tight seal to prevent the water from leaking. Provides cooling for 1-2 hours.
- Comes in four sizes and most suitable for medium and large/extra-large dogs that can handle the heavy weight of the collar.
- Available in a single bright blue color and backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment.
Material: Flexible nylon shell with a non-toxic gel-based ice pack.
- S: Neck – 9″-12″, 1.8″ wide for 11-25 lbs. pets.
- M: Neck – 12″-14.5″, 2.2″ wide for 26-50 lbs. pets.
- L: Neck – 19″-21.5″, 2.0″ wide for 51-75 lbs. pets
Price: $ to $$ depending upon the size.
- Self-cooling dog collar with a flexible, puncture-resistant nylon hard-shell filled with non-toxic ice gel. Made in China for the US-based company.
- Simply charge by placing in the freezer for 15-20 minutes. Lasts for 0.5-1.5 hours to provide cooling through temperature equilibrium principle.
- Comes with a Velcro strap for secure fastening around the pet’s neck.
- Easy to clean by simply wiping with a sponge or cloth.
- Available in three sizes and a standard reflective icy-blue color. Suitable for pets from 10-75 lbs. pets.
Material: Soft 100% cotton canvas collar with an elastic cord strap and a zipper pocket for 5 gel-based ice packs.
Size: Neck – 17.7”-23.6”, suitable for all small to large dog breeds.
- Soft cooling scarf with a non-toxic, ultra-soft cotton canvas cover to store five gel-based ice packs. Made in China.
- Easy to charge by placing the collar in the freezer for 10-20 minutes. Provide accelerated cooling for 1-2 hours.
- Comes in a single size with an adjustable drawstring elastic straps to adjust to the neck size. Suitable for all dogs from 25 lbs. to 100 lbs.
- Reusable and hand washable. The ice-packs are removable and replaceable.
- Available in two colors and patterns – the pink Flamingo and plain Red.
Material: Lightweight, multi-layer close-knit mesh technical fabric. Evaporative cooling.
- XS: Neck – 9″-12″.
- S/M: Neck – 12″-18.
- L/XL: Neck – 18″-24″.
Price: $ to $$ depending upon the size.
- Multi-functional cooling dog bandana with a unique Coolfresh technology that uses ice-cooling net embedded in an ultra-absorbent fabric to provide cooling. Made in China with imported fabric.
- Simple to use and recharge by just soaking in water. Provides evaporative cooling for 0.5-1.5 hours, once replenished with water.
- Easy to clean – handwash and air dry.
- Comes in three sizes a standard reflective icy-blue color. Features adjustable Velcro ends on for a snug fit.
- Backed by a satisfaction guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer.
Material: Lightweight, multi-layer close-knit mesh technical fabric. Evaporative cooling.
- S/M: Neck – 12″ – 17″.
- L/XL: Neck – 17″ – 23″.
Price: $$ depending upon the size.
- Decent cooling dog bandana with a military-grade, lightweight mesh technical fabric surface. Made in China with imported fabric.
- Simple to use and recharge by just soaking in water. Provides evaporative cooling for 1.0-2.0 hours, once replenished with water. Can be frozen for short time
- Easy to clean – handwash and air dry.
- Comes in two sizes a standard gray color with black piping. Features an elastic Velcro strap for a proper fit.
- Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer.
If you are looking for an alternative cooling product to provide additional relief from the heat of the sun, then you can look at getting a dog cooling vest or coat. The dog cooling vests work on almost the same principles as the cooling bandanas and can provide considerable relief from the summer heat.
Some of the best dog cooling vests available in the market that you can check out are listed below. For more options, check out our article on the best dog cooling vests:
- Ruffwear Swamp Cooler Dog Cooling Vest: Best-selling, full-coverage dog cooling vest with a high-quality, three-layer construction. Once wet with water, the vest can lower the body temperature by up to 30+-degrees and last for 4-5 hours. Available in six sizes and backed by a lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects.
- Derby Originals Hydro Cooling Dog Jacket: Another versatile dog cooling coat that is designed to provide a cooling effect for up to 8-10 hours. Provides a full-body cover with a three-layer design that works best for long-haired, double-coated, or brachycephalic dog breeds. Available in three color combinations and backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty.
- Canada Pooch Chill Seeker Cooling Vest: Canada-made, high-quality cooling vest made of triple-layer technical fabric. Minimalist design that has a covered back but uncovered sides and belly, can last for 2-6 hours when replenished. Available in eight sizes suitable for all dog breeds.
How to pick the best dog cooling bandana or collar?
Picking the best dog cooling bandana or collar is not much different from picking any other type of dog cooling product. The best dog cooling collars have the following main characteristics:
- The bandana or collar is durable and built to last, while still being reasonably priced.
- The bandana or collar fits the dog properly and is easy to put on and take-off and comfortable for the dog to wear, walk and run in.
- The bandana or collar keeps the dog cool for a decent amount of time. And it does not leak water or dampness to the dog’s fur or skin when put on.
- The bandana or collar is compatible with other gear like a harness, leash or dog cooling vest.
- The bandana or collar is easy to clean and store (without any odor build-up).
Once you have decided upon the broad budget, you can consider the following major factors before picking the best dog cooling collar or bandana for your pet or pets:
- Building material and design
- Cooling capacity and performance
- Size of the collar
- Color and style
- Warranty and support
Building material and design
The building material and design of the dog cooling bandana or collar is an important factor to consider as it governs the overall durability and reliability as well as the cooling performance of the product.
The exact material of the outer shell and the inner core along with the material of adjustable straps and zippers, if any, would depend upon the type of bandana.
Evaporative-cooling bandanas are made of technical fabric blends, either cotton-based or polyester-based which can be soaked in water and provide a cooling effect to the pet. Gel-based bandanas and ones with ice-packs have shape-retaining outer shells with zipper pockets or sleeves to put in the gel or ice pack.
In order to provide a snug fit, these collars have adjustable straps with drawstrings, Velcro closures or knot straps.
In terms of overall construction and design features, the All For Paws Chill Out Ice Bandana and The Dog’s Right! Dog Cooling Collar Bandana have the best outer material and design and hence are our favorites. Coolaid Canine Cooling Bandana is another option with a soft, comfortable fabric surface.
Check the design features and manufacturing material of the collar or bandana before picking the best dog cooling bandana for your pooch. And if in doubt, pick one of our recommendations. You would not be disappointed!
Cooling capacity and performance
Closely related to the building material of the dog cooling collar is its cooling capacity and performance.
As discussed above, the standard dog cooling bandanas can provide a cooling effect of 5-20 degrees for anywhere from 30 minutes up to 3 hours, depending upon the temperature and humidity.
It is worthwhile to reiterate that water-based, evaporative cooling bandanas work better in dry weather, wherein the rate of evaporation is high. Gel and ice-pack bandanas provide a more accelerated cooling in all weathers.
The thickness of the coat and the physical activity of the canine can also impact the overall cooling performance. Dogs which have thick fur and are extremely enthusiastic when outdoors would require a slightly more frequent replenishment (which is simply pouring more water on the collar) than docile, fur-less dogs. You may want to go with gel-based ice cooling bandanas for such pets.
Check the advertised cooling performance and actual in-field experiences before pulling the plug on a specific dog cooling collar. The product reviews are an excellent source of getting this information.
Size of the collar
Once you have zeroed in on a specific model of dog cooling bandana, you need to pick a size that is most suitable for your dog. It is important to pick a bandana or collar that provides a comfortable fit for your pet.
While measuring the dog’s neck make sure that you do not measure it tightly (allow enough space for your two fingers to pass through). You would also need to make allowance for the tie-out strap. And you would need to allow for the additional weight of the gel packs or water.
Most manufacturers provide their own sizing charts to help you pick the best size for your pet. Check these videos and charts out. You can also check the Q&A section and reviews on Amazon for some more information. And if you are unsure of the size to get, pick the next size up.
In summary, measure-up your canine’s neck and pick the best dog cooling collar or bandana based on the sizing chart provided by the manufacturer.
Color and style
While it might not have a big impact on the functionality of the cooling collar, the color combination in which the cooling bandana is available is also something to look at.
Bright, reflective colors and designs are not only fashionable but also make the bandanas do a better job at reflecting the sunlight. Reflective colors also help in ensuring that a walking dog is widely visible and easily noticeable on a trail. This is especially useful while walking the dog just before sunrise or late in the evening.
While many of the options we listed are available in single bright blue color combination, some dog cooling bandanas such as the Coolaid Canine Cooling Bandana and Canada Pooch Cooling Dog Bandana are available in multiple color combinations, so you can pick the most suitable one as per your liking.
Warranty and support
In addition to the major factors discussed above, one of the most important additional considerations is the warranty and post-purchase customer service support offered on the product by the manufacturer.
Top manufacturers such as RC Pets, All For Paws and Coolaid score big in this category as they offer excellent warranties and satisfaction guaranteed commitment on their dog cooling bandanas along with a dedicated customer support service – a testament of the superior quality these products offer.
Just make sure you make your purchase only from the manufacturers and authorized resellers to ensure that you get the genuine product and not a knock-off. Any product that is shipped from overseas and takes more than a couple of weeks to arrive is probably not an original product.
Keep these small considerations in mind as well before picking the best dog cooling bandana or collar for your beloved pet.
Final thoughts on the best dog cooling bandanas and collars
A dog needs regular outdoor trips, be it for doing its business or just for some mental stimulation and physical exercise. In normal weather, it may not be much of a problem, but in the summers when the temperatures soar, it can be a challenge to keep your canine cool and happy during these outdoor excursions.
Dog cooling bandanas and collars are designed exactly to help you with this – these pet neck wear provide accelerated cooling to the canines and help them maintain their body temperatures in hot conditions. And since they cover only a small portion of the pet’s body, most dogs do not mind wearing them for extended hours.
In this article, we listed some of the best dog cooling bandanas and collars available in the market. We briefly looked at how these cooling collars work and also listed some of the major factors to keep in mind before picking the best dog cooling bandana or collar for your pet.
We hope that you found this article useful and it would help you in picking the best dog cooling bandana to help your Fido beat the heat this summer. Do let us know your feedback and questions by commenting below. Until next time, happy outdoor exploration with your beloved pooch!