In our earlier article on the best dog repellent sprays, we saw how certain dog sprays and air horns can help in deterring an attacking canine. One of the major drawbacks of these repellent sprays is that they leave the aggressor dog in considerable discomfort for a long time. And there are chances of accidental blow-back and harm to the sprayer as well. Thankfully, there are some ultrasonic dog deterrents and repellers in the market that overcome these limitations.
So, which are the best ultrasonic dog deterrents and repellers in the market? Can they really deter a charging dog?
In this article, we will look at answering specifically the above questions and list some of the best ultrasonic dog deterrents and repellers available in the market for outdoor use. While there are many dog bark control devices and ultrasonic repellers that claim to work for deterring charging dogs as well, we will focus specifically on both sonic and ultrasonic dog deterrents that are proven to work in most, if not all, cases of canine aggression.
We will also discuss the major factors to keep in mind before picking the best dog deterrent or repeller for your needs and share our top picks. So, buckle up and read on!
Also, check out our article on the best dog whistles for some options for ultrasonic/silent dog whistles which can also work well to startle and deter a charging dog.
Best ultrasonic dog deterrent and repeller listSome of the most effective and best ultrasonic dog deterrents and repellers to protect yourself and your dog are listed below:
|K-II Enterprises Dazer II Ultrasonic Dog Deterrent||Ultrasonic deterrent.|
25 kHz., 115 dB.
15-20 feet range.
Uses 9V battery.
|Sound Defense K9 Warning Device||Sonic deterrent.|
25 feet range.
Uses 9V battery.
|Doggie Don't Handheld Dog Repellent||Sonic deterrent.|
20 feet range.
Uses two 3V batteries.
|Hoont Electronic Dog Repeller and Trainer||Sonic and ultrasonic deterrent.|
25 kHz., 6-bulb LED light.
20-30 feet range.
Uses 9V battery.
|PestZilla Handheld Dog Repellent and Trainer||Sonic and ultrasonic deterrent.|
25 kHz., LED light.
25-50 feet range.
Uses 9V battery.
What are ultrasonic dog deterrents and how can they be useful?
Most of the times, a well-trained dog is a friendly creature. However, there are instances in which even the most docile canine can become aggressive and charge at you or your pet while walking, jogging, or cycling, etc. In such situations, you need to take immediate evasive action to protect yourself and your pet, otherwise things can go out-of-hand pretty quickly.
Thankfully, there are a bunch of dog repellent solutions available in the market – sprays, horns and ultrasonic deterrents. Each of these types of dog deterrents and repellents offer their own pros and cons and you can pick the right one as per your requirements and preferences. (The term dog deterrents and repellents are often used interchangeably. Scientifically, repellents are chemical-based products that rely on irritation, smell or taste. Deterrents are electro-mechanical products that rely on sound or touch).
Sonic and Ultrasonic deterrents and repellers are special electromechanical devices that use a combination of human-audible and inaudible sounds to startle and deter a charging pet.
Ultrasonic deterrents and repellers are designed to emit special high-pitch, 100+ decibel sounds in the frequency range of 25,000-30,000 Hz. – a range which is inaudible to almost all humans but audible for dogs (and cats).
Sonic deterrents, on the other hand, generate a sudden audible warning sound (similar to one produced by a taser gun or a high-pitch sound blast) which can scare and startle an attacking pet and force it to abort its aggression.
Sonic and ultrasonic dog deterrents have some distinctive advantages over topical repellent solutions such as sprays, as summarized below:
- Electronic dog deterrents are more humane than repellent sprays. Unlike pepper sprays, they do not cause any long-duration discomfort to pets.
- Sonic and ultrasonic dog deterrents are safe and convenient for humans and can be used in all seasons. There is no problem of accidental exposure due to wind or blow-back due to an incorrect aim.
- Sonic and ultrasonic dog deterrents can also double up as bark-control and training devices for your own dog. They can help in controlling unwanted behavior such as excessive barking, leash pulling, jumping, etc.
- These dog deterrents are generally compact, lightweight and convenient to carry while walking, jogging, cycling, skateboarding, etc.
Some of the major limitations associated with sonic and ultrasonic dog deterrents are:
- Ultrasonic dog deterrents operate at frequencies which are largely inaudible for humans. While the best ultrasonic repellers do come with indicators for proper operation, there is no sure-shot way of knowing if the device is actually working. Sonic deterrents produce an audible sound, so they do not suffer from this limitation.
- Ultrasonic deterrents have narrow beam width/angle and hence can be difficult to aim properly. Sonic deterrents are a better option in this regard as they produce a wider sound beam.
- Electronic deterrents, especially ultrasonic deterrents require clear line-of-sight to be useful. The signals can pass through clear glass windows but not through solid walls, fences, etc.
- Sonic and ultrasonic deterrents are both ineffective against deaf dogs. Moreover, because of their varied genetic traits, some deterrents may not be as effective on certain canines as others.
Despite all the limitations, the right handheld sonic and ultrasonic dog deterrent can offer a safe, humane and convenient dog deterrence solution.
In the next section, we will list some of the best ultrasonic dog deterrents and repellers available in the market. In our list, we have listed both sonic and ultrasonic dog deterrents and repellers that have proven record of being effective against aggressive dogs, and left out devices which are primarily meant for bark control and training only.
We would also cover the main factors to consider before picking the best ultrasonic dog repeller for your needs and some alternative products that you can try out to protect yourself and your pet from a charging pet or stray dog.
Just a word of caution. Always follow all the manufacturer security instructions while using a sonic or ultrasonic dog deterrent or repeller. And never activate the device while pointing it towards another human being. It may cause discomfort and even loss of hearing.
Which are the best ultrasonic dog deterrent and repeller?
Type and build: Ultrasonic dog deterrent and trainer. Water-resistant, ABS plastic body with stainless-steel belt clip.
- 5” x 2.2”, 4.2 oz.
- 25 kHz., 115 dB. ultrasonic blasts.
- 15-20 feet effective range (30-40 feet for cats).
- Uses 9V battery (included).
- Popular, multi-purpose ultrasonic dog repeller, and trainer with a high-impact and water-resistant ABS plastic body. Made in the US by the worldwide leader in ultrasonic deterrent technology.
- Easy, push-button operation that emits high-powered ultrasonic noise at 25 kHz. to harmlessly deters dogs up to 20 feet, and cats up to 40 feet. Line-of-sight is necessary – the signal does not pass through solid walls, fences, etc.
- Compact and lightweight and fits comfortably in the pocket. Also comes with a belt clip for easy carry.
- Powered by a 9V alkaline battery (included), which can last for up to six months or 500-1000 discharges. Comes with a diagnostic and low battery LED indicator.
- Backed by a 60-day warranty against defects in material and workmanship.
For years, the Dazer II by Dazzer/KII Enterprises has been the most popular, best-selling ultrasonic dog deterrent and a go-to choice for joggers, walkers, bicyclists, delivery men, police, and fire or rescue teams throughout the world. It is one of the few ultrasonic dog repellers that we found to actually work with the widest array of pets – both dogs and cats, and hence is our favorite pick.
The Dazer II Ultrasonic Dog Deterrent features a durable, weather-resistant ABS plastic body with an in-built push-button for activation. At 4.5″ x 2.2″ and only 4 ounces, it is reasonably compact and lightweight. The deterrent is made in the US and marketed by the Camillus, New York-based company.
The Dazer II features a patent-pending design that emits a high-pitch ultrasonic blast at 25 kHz., 115 dB. simply by the push of a button. This ultrasonic blast is harmless and barely perceptible by humans, but clearly audible to cats and dogs (Some humans and kids can hear/feel the blast). Most animals would respond by stopping, moving away or staying in the place long enough for you to move away and avoid contact with the animal.
The device has a maximum effective range of 15-20 feet for dogs and 30-40 feet for cats. It is, however, not tested to work with other animals.
The Dazer II can also work as a training and deterrent device for your own pet and help in controlling barking or reinforcing commands. Just remember that the clear line-of-sight is necessary in all situations for proper operation and overuse with familiar and passive friendly dogs may not evoke a significant reaction.
The Dazer II device fits comfortably in the pocket comes with a stainless-steel belt-clip for easy carry. It is powered by a 9V, non-rechargeable battery (one set included), which can last for 500-1000 1-2 second blasts. It is also equipped with a low battery indicator light, that doubles-up as a diagnostic indicator. If the indicator does not turn-on when the button is pressed, then it means that the device is not active. Replacing batteries is a somewhat involved activity and would require a Philips screwdriver.
The Dazer II is backed by a 60-day manufacturing warranty against defects in materials and workmanship.
Type and build: Sonic deterrent and repeller. Water-resistant ABS plastic body.
- 6″ x 4.2″, 7 oz.
- 110-120 dB. sonic blasts.
- 25 feet range.
- Uses 9V battery (included).
- Loud and effective sonic dog repeller with a high-impact and durable water-resistant ABS plastic construction. Made in the US.
- Patent-pending design that generates a unique 110-120 decibel sound signal that is intimidating and overwhelming to an aggressive dog. Supports 2-15 second operating duration.
- Wide effective angle does not require precise targeting and line-of-sight. Has a range of 25 feet. Works on all dog breeds and also on super-aggressive dogs, coyotes, and wolves.
- Larger and heavier than most other handheld dog deterrents but comes with a belt-clip for carrying around. A bike-mount is also sold separately.
- Powered by a 9V battery (included). Also equipped with a low battery indicator.
- Backed by a five-year warranty against defects in workmanship and materials.
- A smaller and lighter Sonic Dog Deterrent and Repellent Device is also available from the same manufacturer.
As we discussed earlier, there are some inherent limitations of ultrasonic dog deterrents which the sonic dog deterrents can overcome. Sonic dog deterrents and repellers emit a sound blast in varied frequencies and patterns to force a canine out of its aggression.
So, if you are looking for a durable, convenient and effective sonic dog deterrent or repeller then the innovative Sound Defense K9 Warning Device is one of the best options in the market and also our top pick. It is gaining wide popularity among cyclists, walkers, runners, delivery personnel and professionals around the world and there is a good reason for that.
The Sound Defense K9 Warning Device features a unique air-horn type design with a high-impact and water-resistant ABS plastic casing that houses the electronic circuitry and an air-tight battery compartment. The device includes a reliable pocket/belt-clip that is implanted in the battery cover and can be placed on either side. All the Sound Defense devices are made in the US with unparallel precision and workmanship, and the Sound Defense K9 Warning Device is no exception.
One of the best features of the K9 Warning Device is its innovative and thoughtful design. The sonic deterrent has a patent-pending design with a unique L-shaped housing like an air horn. This device offers a wider range and beam angle without the need for precise targeting and line-of-sight to be effective. Moreover, if you are running or cycling, this design would help you in pointing the device at the charging animal without taking your eyes off the road or trail.
The K9 Warning Device emits a series of audible tones with varying patterns and frequencies by the push of a button – something most canines have not heard before or are used to. This 110-120 decibel sound blast can daze, intimidate and confuse even the most aggressive, charging dog. The push-button gives you all the freedom on the duration of the blast – you can generate anywhere from 2 to 15-second blasts. The maximum effective range is 25 feet, though you will get the strongest effect at 10-12 feet. The K9 warning device has been found to be effective on coyotes, wolves, and cats as well.
The K9 Warning Device is powered by a 9V battery (included). One battery has been tested to last for 30 minutes of operation, meaning you can easily get 350-400 blasts from one set. The device is equipped with a low battery indicator to help you determine when it is time to replace the battery.
One of the slight drawbacks of the Sound Defense K9 Warning Device is its size and weight. Like air horns and other sonic dog repellers, it is larger and heavier than ultrasonic dog deterrents. The manufacturers do offer carry-holsters and bike-mounts, and the device comes with a belt clip, but you will still find it a little bulky. If you are looking for a smaller and lighter option, then look at getting the Sound Defense Personal Sonic Deterrent.
Like all Sound Defense device, the Sound Defense K9 Warning Device is backed by a five-year warranty against defects in workmanship and material – a testament to the superior quality of the product.
Type and build: Sonic deterrent and repeller. ABS plastic body.
- 5″ x 2.0″, 7 oz.
- 110-120 dB.
- 20 feet range.
- Uses two 3V batteries (included).
- Popular, multi-purpose sonic dog repeller with a high-quality, ABS plastic construction. Made in China under the US-based company’s strict quality control measures.
- Useful as a training-aid, bark control, aggressive pet repeller, and a personal protection device.
- Patented technology that generates a unique 110-120 decibel taser-like sound signal that gets the pet’s attention or deters a charging dog.
- Wide beam does not require precise targeting and clear line-of-sight. Has a range of 20 feet. Works on all dog breeds.
- Larger than most other handheld dog deterrents but comes with a wrist-strap for convenient carry.
- Extremely easy to operate with a single-button operation. Powered by two non-rechargeable CR2 3.0V batteries (included), which can last for up to 500 discharges.
- Not water-resistant and must be kept away from the rain.
- Backed by a one-year warranty against manufacturing defects.
Type and build: Sonic and ultrasonic deterrent and trainer with LED light. Water-resistant, ABS plastic body, and belt clip.
- 4” x 2.5”, 2.1 oz.
- 25 kHz., ~100 dB sonic noise.
- 6-bulb LED light.
- 20-30 feet range.
- Uses rechargeable 9V Li-Ion battery (included). Comes with a USB charging cable.
- Versatile handheld dog repeller and trainer with a durable, ABS plastic construction. Made in China.
- Upgraded design that features both sonic and ultrasonic deterrent along with a powerful 6-bulb LED flashlight. Works best for low and mildly aggressive pets. May not work on large and super-aggressive pets.
- Generates ultrasonic blasts at 25kHz. which are inaudible for humans and audible for dogs and cats. Has an effective range of 20-30 feet. Line-of-sight is necessary – do not pass through solid walls, fences, etc. but can pass through glass windows.
- Can also generate sonic blasts (~100 decibels) that can deter charging dogs. Flashlight blinks when using the sonic option to act as a visual deterrent.
- Compact and lightweight and fits comfortably in the pocket. Also comes with a belt clip for easy carry.
- Powered by a rechargeable 9V Li-Ion battery (included). A charging USB cable is included.
- Backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty. Also available in a cheaper design.
Type and build: Sonic and ultrasonic deterrent and trainer with 1-bulb LED light. Polypropylene plastic body and belt clip.
- 4” x 2.5”, 1.6 oz.
- 25 kHz., <60 dB sonic noise.
- LED flashlight.
- 20-25 feet effective range.
- Uses 9V battery (not included).
- Standard, budget ultrasonic dog repeller and trainer with a Polypropylene plastic body. Made in China/Taiwan.
- Upgraded design that features both sonic and ultrasonic deterrents along with a single-bulb LED flashlight that blinks when the device is active.
- Works only for toy and small dog breeds and mildly aggressive pets. Not effective on medium/large and super-aggressive pets.
- Generates ultrasonic blasts at ~25kHz. which are inaudible for humans and audible for dogs and cats. Can also generate audible sounds at 50-60 dB. Has an effective range of 20-25 feet.
- Compact and lightweight – fits comfortably in the pocket.
- Powered by a 9V battery (not included).
Additional dog deterrent options to protect against attacks
Handheld sonic and ultrasonic dog repellers and deterrents are not the only products available in the market for protecting against charging pets.
In our article on the best dog repellent sprays, we listed some sprays and safety airhorns that can be an effective deterrent. For quick reference, you can consider one of the following options:
- Halt! Dog Repellent Spray and Halt II deterrent spray: Best-selling, US-made dog repellent pepper spray used by the US Postal Service since 1966. Halt! Spray is Level-1 deterrent with 0.35% active Capsaicinoids, while Halt II is Level-II deterrent with 1.0% active Capsaicinoids. Have an effective range of 10-12 feet.
- Sabre Dog Deterrent Spray: Another popular, all-natural, safe and effective dog repellent pepper spray to deter charging dogs. Made in the USA by the #1 trusted brand used by police departments worldwide. Formulated with 1.0% major Capsaicinoids with a precision range of up to 12 feet.
- PetSafe SprayShield Animal Deterrent: Milder, citronella-based dog deterrent spray to deter low and medium-level dog aggression. Formulated with 1.0% Citronella as the active ingredient and relies on an unfavorable smell as a deterrent. Designed to generate precision sprays up to 10 feet.
If you are looking for a Smartphone app with repellent sound, you can check this Android application on Google Play. There would probably be an iOS variant as well.
Finally, for some more tips and tricks to survive a dog attack, check out the following useful video:
Buying Guide – How to pick the best ultrasonic dog deterrent or repeller?
With the market filled with a bunch of ultrasonic dog deterrents, each claiming to have an effective design, picking the best dog repeller or deterrent can often be a challenge.
Since ultrasonic frequencies are largely inaudible, many dog bark control devices also claim to be effective in repelling charging dogs. However, most such options are largely ineffective and hence unreliable.
To pick the best ultrasonic dog repeller or deterrent, you need to keep the following major factors in mind:
- Build quality and design
- Frequency and range
- Battery life
- Size and portability
- Warranty and support
Build quality and design
The construction quality and design features are an important factor to consider before picking the best ultrasonic dog deterrent or repeller. The build quality includes the building material of the casing, buttons, and belt-clips or wrist straps.
We have only listed ultrasonic dog deterrents which have a high-quality and durable construction – a sealed ABS or polypropylene plastic casing with plastic or silicone buttons and air-tight battery cabinets. Just remember that these dog deterrents are water-resistant at best and you should ensure that they do not get exposed to rain or snow.
An ergonomic design with a simple, push-button operation is also something to check out. Another preferable design feature among ultrasonic dog deterrents is the availability of a low-battery indicator. All the options that we listed have this feature. Some deterrents even have a LED flashlight for emergencies, which can also act as a strobe as well as a low battery indicator.
Check the construction material, quality and design of the deterrent before picking the best dog deterrent or repeller for your needs.
Frequency and range
The effectiveness of a dog deterrent can be measured by the ultrasonic frequency or the noise level of the sound blast and the range of operation. It is important to check these technical details before picking the best electronic dog deterrent.
The effectiveness of the repellents against canines is a subjective matter and can vary from canine to canine, governed by the dog’s breed, size, age, and traits. Still, some dog repellers and deterrents are more effective than others.
As discussed above, most humans can hear sounds up to the frequency range of 20-23 kHz., while animals such as dogs and cats can hear sounds over this range. So it is important to pick an ultrasonic dog deterrent that generates an ultrasonic blast with a frequency of 25 kHz. or more and has a range of at least 12-15 feet to be really inaudible and effective.
Similarly, for sonic dog deterrents, only a noise level of 100+ decibels is loud enough to startle and repel an approaching dog.
Check the product details, reviews, and Q&A section to ascertain the frequency and range of the dog deterrent or repeller before picking the most suitable option for your needs.
Since the electronic dog deterrents are powered by one or more batteries, it is important to pick a model which offers decent battery life with at least 200 discharges per battery. Moreover, an option that comes with high-quality batteries included is always preferable.
We have ensured that we list only those sonic and ultrasonic dog repellers that offer excellent battery lives. Our top picks – Dazer II Ultrasonic Dog Deterrent has a battery life of around six months or 1000 discharges, while the Sound Defense K9 Warning Device can produce over 300 blasts before you need to replace the battery.
Check the battery life of the product before picking the best ultrasonic dog deterrent. You can generally get this information from the product description or the FAQ queries.
Size and portability
The size and portability of the dog deterrent device is also something to take into consideration before picking the best ultrasonic dog deterrent for your requirements.
The smaller the size and lighter the weight, the easier it would be to carry it conveniently during outdoor excursions such as walking, jogging, and cycling. All the options that we have listed are compact and come with reliable belt clips or wrist straps for convenient carry.
Among ultrasonic dog deterrents, you will find our top pick – Dazer II Ultrasonic Dog Deterrent as extremely portable and convenient with a size of only 4.5” x 2”. Sonic dog deterrents are slightly bigger at over 7” but are still manageable to carry around. The Sound Defense K9 Warning Device even has a bicycle mount sold separately.
Check the overall dimensions and availability of a wrist-strap or secure belt-clip before pulling the plug on a specific electronic dog deterrent.
Warranty and support
In addition to the major factors discussed above, the warranty and post-purchase support is also something that can make a specific ultrasonic dog repeller a more attractive choice than others.
Since the effectiveness of a sonic or ultrasonic dog deterrent or repeller is quite subjective, an option that is made in the US and backed by a satisfaction guaranteed or money back commitment is definitely something that would be preferable.
Most of the options that we listed are backed by excellent one or more-year warranties against build quality and defects, so you can pick them without a lot of concern. Just make sure you make your purchase only from authorized resellers and avoid any products that have a shipping date of over a month or so.
Keep these other considerations in mind while picking the best ultrasonic dog deterrent and repeller for protecting you and your Fido from a charging dog. And if you are in doubt, pick one from our top suggestions. In most cases, you would find them safe, convenient and effective!
Final thoughts on the best ultrasonic dog deterrent and repeller
Even the friendliest pet dog can sometimes exhibit aggressive behavior and cause injury to you or your pet (remember those scenes of postmen getting chased by the dogs!). One way to deter an attacking dog is to use a sonic or ultrasonic dog deterrent or repeller.
In this article, we looked at some of these best ultrasonic dog repellers available in the market. We looked at the major characteristics of these products, the advantages of using them, and the factors to consider before picking the best dog deterrent or repeller.
While there are many handheld electronic bark control devices and training aids that claim to also work for protecting against aggressive canines, we only listed products that are proven to work as attack dog repellers in most, if not all, cases.
We hope that you found this article useful and it would help you in picking the best ultrasonic dog repeller or deterrent as per your requirements and preferences. Do let us know your feedback and questions by commenting below. Until next time, happy outdoor exploration with Fido!