An efficient cat litter system is a must for every cat owner and something that is often a challenge. After all, you want a cat litter box setup that is easy to maintain and does not cause your house to be filled with an unpleasant odor and litter granules.
The patented Purina Tidy Cats Breeze Litter Box Kit is one such popular cat litter box solution that is designed to contain litter odors and minimize tracking. However, it needs disposable cat litter pads to work flawlessly. In addition to the original Tidy Cats litter pads, many manufacturers offer their own line of cat litter pads which work almost as well as the original ones and are cheaper.
In this article, we will look at some of the best cat litter pads available in the market that can act as a cheaper replacement to the original Breeze cat litter pads. We will also discuss how these cat litter pads can be used with other types of litter boxes and help in minimizing odors, reduce litter tracking and manage “accidents” in the house and during travel.
Also, check out our article on the best cat litter boxes and best cat litter mats for some other excellent litter solutions. Finally, if you are looking some similar pee pads for canines, we have a popular article on the best puppy training pads, some of which can also work well with drawer-type cat litter boxes.
Best cat litter pads listSome of the best cat litter pads or cat pee pads available in the market are listed below:
|Purina Tidy Cats Breeze Cat Litter Pads||16.9" x 11.4"|
|AmazonBasics Cat Litter Pads||16.9" x 11.4"|
|All-Absorb Cat Litter Pads||17.1" x 11.8"|
|All Kind Cat Litter Pads||16.9" x 11.4"|
|Value Vortex Ultra Absorb Cat Litter Pads||17.7" x 11.8"|
|Peritas Cat Pee Pads Generic Refill||16.9" x 11.4"|
|Top Sandera Cat Pee Pads||17.7" x 12.9"|
|Peritas Activated Carbon Cat Pads||16.9" x 11.4"|
What are cat litter pads and how can they be useful?
As the name suggests, cat litter pads are multi-layer, pee-absorbing pads that can absorb cat’s urine, convert it into a solid gel-like material. Like the puppy training pads, cat litter pads are disposable (the core is fully biodegradable) and can last for anywhere from 2-7 days for a single cat.
Most cat litter pads have five or more layers to absorb the liquid waste and convert it into gel-like material. They also have odor neutralizers to minimize the pee odor and can be scented or unscented. And just to add, most cat litter pads are non-toxic and do not harm the pet even if ingested in small amounts.
Made popular by the Purina Tidy Cats Breeze Litter Box System and some other similar cat litter boxes to be used in the litter box tray, cat litter pads can also be helpful in a number of additional scenarios, as summarized below:
- Cat litter pads can be added to the bottom of a standard cat litter box to act as an odor neutralizer and prevent clumping of soiled litter at the bottom of the box. Such an arrangement works best with pellet type of litter.
- For cats which tend to wet their paws while urinating, such pads can be used around the cat litter boxes to keep the cat paws dry and clean and reduce litter tracking. They can also be used as pet doormats to dry pet paws after a trip on the wet grass.
- If you are using a double-layered cat litter mat like the Blackhole cat litter mat, you can insert a litter pad in the middle to absorb moisture and minimize odors.
- Cat litter pads can be used as liners in car seats, pet carriers and portable cat litter boxes while traveling.
As evident from the discussion above, cat litter pads can be useful in a number of scenarios in addition to being used with the Tidy Cats litter box system.
In the next sections, we will look at some of the best cat litter pads available in the market and share our top picks. We would also cover main factors to consider before picking the best cat litter pad for your needs.
Which are the best cat litter pads?
Construction: 5-layer blended fabric construction with an anti-slip bottom. Scented.
Size: 16.9” x 11.4”
- Best-selling original cat litter pads designed specifically for the Purina Tidy Cats Breeze Litter Box System.
- Made in Japan pads with a 5-layer blended fabric construction. Scented and available in two scents.
- Two absorbing layers convert liquid into gel quickly and do not leak even if over-filled. 1 pad can last up to one week for a single cat and 3 days for two cats.
- Best-in-class odor control properties that neutralize the ammonia odor quickly and effectively.
- Costlier than most other cat litter pads.
When it comes to cat litter pads, there is no better option than the original Purina Tidy Cats Breeze Cat Litter Pads. They are indeed costlier than most other cat litter pads, but if money is not a concern, they are the best cat pee pads in the market.
Made in Japan, each Purina Tidy Cats Breeze cat litter pad features a 5-layer blended fabric body with two absorbing layers. Each pad has an anti-slip bottom and is perfectly sized (16.9″ x 11.4″) to fit in the removable litter pad tray of the Purina Tidy Cats Breeze litter system. A single pad can last the whole week with one cat and up to 3 days with two cats. The absorbing layer converts the liquid into gel quickly and is totally leak-proof.
The Purina Tidy Cats Breeze Cat Litter Pads are available in two scents – the original odor neutralizing fresh scent and the new spring clean scent. These pads have best-in-class odor control properties. The litter pads are available in multiples of 4 or 10 count pads. These pads are also available through the Amazon Subscribe and Save program.
Construction: 5-layer blended fabric construction with an anti-slip bottom. Unscented and odor-neutral.
Size: 16.9″ x 11.4″
- Budget cat litter pads having a 5-layer leak-proof construction. Made in China and marketed by Amazon. Best-selling alternative to the Purina Tidy Cat litter pads.
- Feature double-layered absorbing surface with an additional 1.0-inch plastic border to prevent overflows. Odor-neutral and quick drying and can last up to 2-3 days.
- Come in counts of 20 or 40 pads and about 40% cheaper than the standard Tidy Cat pads.
- Backed by a one-year warranty and AmazonBasics satisfaction guaranteed commitment.
If you are looking for an alternative and save some money on the original Purina Tidy Cat Litter pads, then the AmazonBasics cat litter pads are a viable alternative. These litter pads are about 40% cheaper than the original cat litter pads and still provide decent quality and leak-proof operation.
AmazonBasics cat litter pads are made of 5-layer blended fabric with two absorbing layers made of wood pulp and Super Absorbent Polymer (SAP). The cat pee pads are purple in color and made in China under Amazon’s quality control standards. The litter pads are unscented and odor-neutral.
The AmazonBasics cat litter pads have exactly the same dimensions as the Tidy cat litter pads – 16.9″ x 11.4″ and are about 0.22 inches thick. A 1.0-inch plastic layer on the sides prevents any leaks to seep through the pads. Each pad can hold up to 3 cups of liquid and can last for 2-3 days for a single cat home.
Like all other AmazonBasics pet products, the AmazonBasics cat litter pads are backed by a one-year limited warranty. These pads are available in a package size of 20 or 40 pads each.
Construction: 5-layer blended fabric construction with an anti-slip bottom. Unscented and odor-neutral.
Size: 17.1″ x 11.8″
- High-quality cat litter pads from popular puppy training pad brand. Now made in the US (earlier versions were made in China).
- 5-layer construction with an absorbent core, quick-dry quilted surface and waterproof bottom. Can absorb up to 5 cups of liquid now and last for 5-6 days for a single cat.
- Updated design and quality that is 50% more absorbent with enhanced odor control.
- Available in package size of 20 pads each.
- 25% cheaper than the standard Purina Tidy Cat pad refills. Also available through Subscribe and Save.
Construction: 5-layer blended fabric construction with a non-slip bottom. Unscented and odor-neutral.
Size: 16.9″ x 11.4″
- Budget disposable cat litter pads having a 5-layer leak-proof construction. Made in China and marketed by Chewy.
- Feature double-layered absorbing surface that turns liquids into gel to help combat litter box odors. Unscented Odor-neutral and quick drying and can last up to 2-3 days.
- Come in counts of 10 or 20 pads and about 40-45% cheaper than the standard Tidy Cat pads. However, not as thick as the original Tidy Cat litter pads.
- Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment.
Construction: 6-layer blended fabric construction. Unscented and odor-neutral.
Size: 17.7″ x 11.8″
- Premium-quality ultra-absorbing cat litter pads with 6-layer construction, US-made wood pulp and Japanese SAP absorbing layer. Made in China.
- Feature a 15.7”x 9.8” absorbing core with 1.0 leak-proof plastic liner. Perfectly sized to fit Tidy cat and other cat litter boxes.
- Ultra-absorbing to last the whole week for a single cat – almost the same time as the standard Tidy Cat pad refills.
- Available in a packing of 20 + 2 bonus pads. Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer.
Construction: 5-layer blended fabric construction with an anti-slip bottom. Unscented.
Size: 16.9″ x 11.4″
- Budget, unscented cat pee pads with 5-layer blended fabric construction. Made in China.
- Comparable absorption capability but not as efficient for odor control.
- Thinner and lighter than most other cat litter pads. One pad can last 2-4 days for a single cat.
- Available in package size of 20 or 80 pads.
- Considerably cheaper than the standard Purina Tidy Cat Pad Refills. Also available through Subscribe and Save.
Construction: 6-layer blended fabric construction with an activated carbon core. Scented.
Size: 17.7″ x 12.9″
- Newly-released, oversize cat pee pads with 6-layer construction. Made in China.
- Feature black activated carbon Sumitomo SAP core to absorb quickly and neutralize odor. But not as absorbent as the Tidy Cat pads or All-Absorb cat litter pads. Last 2-3 days for a single cat.
- Feature a 1-inch plastic liner to prevent leakages. The core is 15.5” x 11”.
- Available in a set of 40 cat litter pads. Most suitable for use with cat litter mats.
Construction: 5-layer blended fabric with an activated carbon absorption layer. Unscented and odor-neutral.
Size: 16.9″ x 11.4″
- Multi-layer cat pee pads with activated carbon technology to neutralize odors. Made in China.
- Odor eliminating carbon surface absorbs quicker and faster in comparison to the standard pads. One pad can last 2-3 days.
- Better in minimizing ammonia odors, but not as absorbing as other pee pads.
- Available in package size of 20 or 80 pads and slightly cheaper than the standard Purina Tidy Cat Pad Refills.
How to pick the best cat litter pads?
While there are not many cat litter pad brands in the market, picking the right litter pad to go with your litter box or for other everyday needs, can sometimes be a challenge. After all, you would like to have a litter pad that reduces your maintenance requirements and financial burden, not increase it.
In addition to your budget, you need to keep a few factors in mind before picking the best cat litter pads for your beloved feline. These key factors are listed below. Just keep in mind that you might have to switch between a few different cat pee pads before zeroing-in on the best option. And if you are ever in doubt, simply pick one of the top picks that we shared above.
- Construction and Absorbing Capacity
- Odor control features and performance
- Size of the litter pads
- Additional features and considerations
Construction and Absorbing Capacity
The construction material of the cat litter pad is also an important criterion to consider before picking the best option.
Generally, cat litter pads or cat pee pads have a multi-layered construction with a top quilted layer for letting the pee pass through, the middle layers for absorption and the bottom layers for water and leak-proofing the pad. The common rule of thumb is more the number of absorbing layers (wood-pulp and Super Absorbent Polymer or SAP layer), more the absorption capacity the pad would have. A typical cat litter pad is biodegradable, so there is minimal environmental impact.
Consider picking a 5 or 6-layer pad as anything lesser would require you to change the pad more frequently. Such a pad should be good to absorb 3 or more cups of liquid, which is governed by the quality of the absorption sheet and polymer core that converts liquid to gel.
Undoubtedly, the Purina Tidy Cats Breeze Cat Litter Pads have the best absorption capacity, but our other picks – AmazonBasics Cat Litter Pads and All-Absorb Cat Litter Pads are not far behind in terms of performance and are considerably cheaper.
Check out the number of layers, building material and advertised absorbing capacity before picking the best cat pee pad for your fur-ball’s litter tray.
Odor control features and performance
Closely related to the manufacturing material of the cat litter pad and its absorption capacity are the odor controlling properties and performance of the pad. After all, you are looking for a pad that not only absorbs the cat’s urine, but also keeps your home free from the mercaptans and ammonia odor.
Most cat litter pads are impregnated with baking soda or other odor neutralizing materials that minimize odors. Some cat pee pads even have a scented spray on them, such as ocean-fresh or lavender. Depending upon your kitty’s preference you can pick a scented or unscented cat litter pad (our personal preference is an unscented cat pee pad).
Check out the odor neutralizing performance of a specific model before picking the best cat pee pad for your litter box. You can generally get a good idea of the performance of these odor neutralizing agents from the product feedback and Q&A sections.
Size of the litter pads
You need to take the overall dimensions of the cat litter pad into consideration to pick the right size.
The Purina Tidy Cats litter tray has an approximate dimension of 16” x 11”, so a litter pad must be at least of this size if you are picking a litter pad specifically to use with the Tidy Cats Breeze Litter System.
Furthermore, most cat litter pads have a plastic liner around the absorption core, making it about 1.0-1.5 inches smaller than the pad. So, if are looking to pick a litter pad for generic use in your litter box or as a litter mat, you are better off picking one which is as big as possible. All-Absorb Cat Litter Pads and Top Sandera Cat Pee Pads are two oversized cat pee pads to consider.
Check out the overall size of the pad including its absorbing core and border size before picking the best cat litter pads for your kitty’s litter box.
Additional features and considerations
In addition to the major factors discussed above, there are a couple of other considerations that can make a purchase more attractive than the others.
One such factor is the package count a cat litter pad is available in. You would probably like to get a training pad that is available in multiple counts – 20 or more for initial usage and large 100+ count after that. The larger the number per set, the cheaper it would be. Most of the options that we have listed are available in different package sizes ranging from 10 to as high as 80 pads per package. Some cat litter pads are also offered through the Amazon’s Pet Subscription program for regular shipment and some additional savings.
Another factor to check out is the warranty and after-sales support, if any, provided by the manufacturer. While cat litter pads are not a very costly item, you should be able to return one if you are not satisfied or the kitty decides not to use it at all. Most of the top manufacturers offer a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment on their cat pee pads. Some manufacturers even offer free consultations to help you use them
Keep these other considerations in mind while picking the best cat pee pads for your needs. And if you are in doubt, pick one from our top suggestions. You would not regret it!
Final thoughts on the best cat litter pads
The success of the Purina Tidy Cats Breeze Litter Box System and similar litter boxes that have a removable tray to put in a litter pad has led to the emergence of cat litter pads in the market. And these litter pads can also help in reducing litter tracking and odors around the house. They also work well with portable litter boxes during travel.
In this article, we looked at some of the best cat pee pads and litter pads available in the market. We looked at the major advantages of such litter pads, the factors to consider while picking them and our top picks for the best cat litter pads.
We hope that you found this article useful and it would help you in picking the best cat litter pads as per your requirements and preferences. Do let us know your feedback and questions by commenting below. Until next time, have a playful spell with your beloved kitty!