It is a well-established fact that the best way to train a puppy or dog (or a cat or even a bird) is to use positive reinforcement. And Clicker Training is one of the most effective techniques for enforcing positive reinforcement to train the pet.
While a clicker is scientifically not different from using any other audio or visual cue, it the simplest and most convenient tool to communicate with your pet while teaching it obedience commands or complex tricks. All you need is a durable and reliable dog clicker that can produce a sharp clicking sound for the pet to relate with desirable behavior.
In this article, we will look at some of the best dog clickers for training your pet or teaching good behavior. We will also look at some training sets and target sticks to assist you in clicker training your beloved pooch. You can use these devices with canines of all ages – puppies to old dogs. Furthermore, most of them would work equally well with cats, birds or any other pets. We will also share some buying advice for picking the best dog training clicker and list our favorite picks.
Read on to find out which are the best dog training clickers available in the market!
Best dog clickers for training listSome of best dog training clickers available in the market for positive reinforcement training are listed below:
|StarMark Dog Training Clicker System||- 1 clicker|
- Step-by-step guide
|EcoCity Dog Training Clicker||- 4 clickers|
|Karen Pryor Clicker Training Terry Ryan Clik Stik||- Retractable target stick|
- Built-in clicker
- Terry Ryan training booklet
|PetSafe Clik-R Trainer||- 1 clicker|
- Introductory guide
|Downtown Pet Supply Big Button Pet Training Clicker||- 4 clickers|
|LaZimnInc Dog Training Clicker||- 2 clickers|
|Clix Pet Target Stick||- Retractable target stick|
|Karen Pryor Clicker Training for Dogs Kit||- 1 clicker|
- Click-a-Trick cards
- Getting Started book by KP
- Dog treats sampler
|AMZpets Puppy Training Set||- 1 Clicker|
- 1 Ultrasonic whistle
- Doorbells set
- Multi-pocket treats pouch
|SSRiver Puppy Clicker Training Kit||- 1 clickers + 1 whistle combo|
- Doorbells set
- Dog treats pouch
- Collapsible bowl
- 2 poop bag rolls
What is a dog training clicker and is clicker training effective?
A dog training clicker is exactly what its name says – it is a compact and simple mechanical device that produces a unique noise, essentially a clicking sound, that can act as an audio cue for the pet during training. A clicker, along with training treats, is the essential component for clicker training.
Clicker training is a humane, punishment-free and effective positive reinforcement technique to teach good behavior, obedience commands and tricks to your beloved pet. And with a little bit of practice, any pet owner can employ this approach to train their pets.
Whenever the pet exhibits a positive behavior or obeys the command, that action can be “marked” by pressing the clicker and rewarding the pet with treats. This reward-based approach helps the pet in understanding that whatever it is doing at the time of click is correct and the pet would be rewarded.
Clicker training is not different from marker training in which you use a verbal or even a visual cue for the pet. But it can be most convenient simply because the clicker sound is uniform and easy for the pet to interpret correctly. And clickers are pretty cheap too. Clicker training has been proven to work well with dogs, cats, birds, horses and most other pets.
Clicker training is not the only form of training your pet and it has its own limitations. For example, sensitive pets may not respond positively to the sound of the clicker. Similarly, pets that are not motivated by food or rewards are not the best candidates for clicker training.
For some more information on clicker training and the science behind it, you can check out the popular article on the effectiveness of clicker training by Dr. Stanley Coren. And for some additional resources, check out our section below on the best clicker training books and resources.
In the next sections, we will look at the best dog training clickers available in the market and the factors to consider before picking the best dog clicker for training. We will also share some of the best resources to consult for positive reinforcement training using these training aids.
Which are the best dog clickers for training?
- 1 clicker
- Step-by-step training guide
- High-quality, popular dog training clicker with a durable vinyl body.
- Sturdy, high-quality stainless-steel clicker element with an elevated rubber button.
- The clicker produces a distinct, loud clicking sound for easy identification, even in noisy dog park settings.
- Includes an opening on the back to attach to keychain or lanyard.
- The package includes a step-by-step training guide written by StarMark Academy experts.
- Also available in a set of three dog training clickers and five dog training clickers.
StarMark has been at the forefront of dog training and training products and the StarMark Pro Training Clicker is one of their most popular products. This durable dog training clicker offers an excellent combination of functionality, durability and affordability.
The StarMark Pro Training Clicker features a Vinyl plastic body. Its round edge-free shape is ergonomic and comfortable in the hand with easy one-hand operation using the thumb and fore-finger. In fact, its design is so popular, it has been copied many times by knock-off products.
The clicker button is made of rubber and is elevated to prevent any accidental clicking misses. The clicking mechanism is supported by a stainless-steel clicking element that produces a distinct loud clicking noise, that is easy for an attentive dog to hear even outdoors. This loud click does mean that the clicker can startle a sensitive pet.
The StarMark Pro Training Clicker features a hole on its back to attach a keychain or lanyard. The clicker does not come with a wrist strap, which is probably its biggest drawback, though not a deal-breaker. If you are looking for a StarMark Clicker with wristband, you can check the StarMark Pro Deluxe clicker model. This StarMark clicker comes with a yellow wristband.
Each clicker purchase includes a step-by-step clicker training guide compiled by the experts at StarMark Academy. It is truly an excellent value-add. The clicker is available in the standard blue-and-orange design and available in a set of one, three or five clickers.
- Retractable target stick
- Built-in clicker
- Terry Ryan’s clicker training booklet
- Versatile retractable target stick designed by renowned trainer Terry Ryan and manufactured under the Karen Pryor Clicker Training brand.
- Features a telescopic target stick that can extend from 6 to 23 inches. Made of rust-free stainless steel with a small light-green pointer.
- Comes with a built-in clicker with a uniform, moderate clicking sound. Two-in-one design helps in keeping one hand free while training. Raised button ensures no missing clicks.
- Includes a built-in belt clip for easy carrying. The package also includes Terry Ryan’s clicker training guide.
- Suitable for teaching targeting, heeling and other common commands with ease.
- Backed by the Train Better Guarantee throughout the product’s lifetime.
If you want to take your clicker training game to the next level and teach targeting, weave poles, heeling and other obedience commands to your pet, then the Karen Pryor Clicker Training Terry Ryan Clik Stik is a perfect training aid for you. This stick is an excellent training tool for dogs and cats for all ages.
Designed by renowned pet trainer and president of Legacy Inc Terry Ryan and marketed under the Karen Pryor Clicker Training brand, the Clik Stik is a versatile target stick. It features a retractable, rust-resistant, stainless-steel rod which does not look much different from an antenna but is much more durable and sturdy. The telescopic rod can collapse to a small 6-inch size and can extend to 23-inches. The stick also has a light-green marker bulb on the top for pointing to the pet. Both the bulb and the target stick are slightly smaller than the Clix Pet Target Stick but is still long enough for all dog and cat breeds.
The best part of the Karen Pryor Clicker Training Terry Ryan Clik Stik is the built-in clicker on the handle. This clicker produces a uniform, moderate clicking sound and features a big, sensitive button that can be operated with a single hand. Moreover, the raised button design ensures that the click is not missed while operating. You can even use the stick just as a clicker by keeping the rod closed.
The Clik Stik comes with the Terry Ryan’s clicker training guide, which provides some excellent beginner information on getting started with clicker training.
The Click Stik comes in the standard KPCT purple and green color combination and is backed by the Train Better Guarantee throughout the product’s lifetime. This means that you can expect a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer.
Content: 4 multi-color clickers
- Best-selling set of 4 big-button dog training clickers with a 2018-upgraded design.
- Each clicker features a steel-based metal clicking mechanism.
- Designed to produce a moderately loud click sound. May not be suitable for sensitive pets.
- The package includes 4 differently colored clickers. A pdf dog training eBook is shared with every successful order.
- Backed by a lifetime 100% money back guarantee when purchased directly from the manufacturer.
If you are looking for a decent dog training clicker set and do not want to spend a fortune, then the newly upgraded EcoCity Dog Training Clicker is a perfect choice for you.
The EcoCity Dog Training Clicker comes in a set of four clickers, each with a different color – red, black blue and white. The clicker features a stainless-steel clicker mechanism that is rust-resistant. A big button is provided to create a moderately loud and distinct clicking sound that the dog can follow. The upgrade model has a more moderate noise but may still be slightly on the loud side for very sensitive pets.
Each clicker features an adjustable elastic wrist strap with a keychain clip to attach it to the belt loop or keychain. The clicker is compact to fit within the palm and ergonomically designed to allow one hand operation.
The EcoCity Dog Training Clicker not only works with dogs but also with cats and horses. And to sweeten the deal, a pdf pet training eBook is shared with each successful purchase.
The EcoCity Dog Training Clicker is backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer.
- 1 clicker
- Introductory guide
- Ergonomically-designed, round-shaped pet clicker with a sturdy elastic finger strap. Easier to use than box clickers.
- ABS-plastic body with an oversized clicker button.
- Comes with a keychain or carabiner hole for easy transportation.
- Produces a gentle clicking sound, suitable for sensitive and small pets. Works perfectly for indoor and low-noise environments.
- Comes in a standard blue and purple color and includes an introductory clicker training guide.
- Competitively priced and supported by PetSafe online customer support.
Content: 4 multi-color clickers
- A set of 4 big-button clickers with elastic wrist strap. All clickers are of different colors.
- Sensitive low-effort clicking that produces a distinctive loud click, so not suitable for sensitive pets. Works best with medium and large dog breeds.
- Compact and easy to carry with a wrist-strap attached to the O-ring.
- Also available in sets of 5, 8, 12 and 25 clickers and a clicker + treat bag combo.
Content: 2 clickers – blue and white.
- A set of 2 well-designed clickers with wrist straps. Available in blue and white colors.
- Ergonomic design with a rust-free metal clicker with a medium-sized clicker button. ABS plastic body.
- Comes with an elastic retractable wrist-strap and a lanyard clip to attach to belt loop.
- Loud, uniform sound that works well with dogs, cats, birds and other domestic pets.
- Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed or money back commitment.
- Retractable target stick (clicker is NOT included)
- Training Guide
- A telescopic pet target stick that is a key accessory for clicker training. Made of high-quality stainless steel.
- Features a telescopic design that extends from 6-inches to as long as 28-inches. Has a clip to attach to the pocket.
- Comes with a red soft rubber bulb on one end to act as a visual target while training.
- Works well with dogs and cats alike.
- A Clicker is not included and must be purchased separately.
- 1 Karen Pryor i-Click clicker
- Click-a-Trick cards and Instruction booklet
- Getting Started book by KP
- Natural dog treats sampler
- A clicker training kit for those looking for books and resources for reward-based training of dogs.
- Includes the latest edition of the best-selling Karen Pryor’s Get Started Clicker Training guide. In 100 pages, the book covers all aspects of clicker training for dogs.
- The kit also includes click-a-trick instruction cards with a carabiner for quick reference while outdoors.
- Comes with a KPCT i-Click Clicker that works well with even the most sensitive canines.
- A dog treat sampler is also included as a bonus.
- Only 3 dollars more than just the Getting Started Book.
- Ultrasonic whistle
- Doorbells set
- Multi-pocket treats pouch
- Best-selling puppy training kit with 4 useful training items.
- Includes a big-button clicker with elastic wrist strap, an ultrasonic whistle with neck strap an adjustable dog training doorbell, and a multi-pocket dog treat pouch.
- The clicker features a big button that produced a distinctive sound for the pet to hear without getting startled. The whistle also produces an ultrasonic, noiseless sound over a long distance.
- The multi-pocket, multi-functional dog treat pouch features a water-resistant construction, zippered pocket and poop bag dispenser. Comes with a shoulder strap and a waist clip.
- The doorbell features a sturdy design with six high-quality loud bells for the pet to use as a signal. The doorbell height can be adjusted as per the needs.
- The kit also provides access to a puppy clicker training e-book.
- Competitively priced and backed by a 60-day 100% money-back guarantee commitment.
- 1 clicker and 1 whistle
- Doorbells set
- Dog treats pouch with straps
- Collapsible travel bowl with clip
- Clicker training manual
- Another popular puppy training kit with 6 useful training items.
- Includes two clickers plus whistle combos with elastic wrist strap, an adjustable dog training doorbell, a collapsible silicone pet travel bowl and a multi-pocket dog treat pouch.
- The clicker and whistle produce an optimal, uniform sound to get the dog’s attention without startling it.
- The dog treat pouch measures 7″ x 3″ x 10″ and comes with wrist and shoulder strap to wear it in three ways. Also includes a zippered pocket and a poop bag dispenser.
- A short clicker training guide is also included with the package.
- Competitively priced and great value-for-money.
How to pick the best dog clickers for training?
Since dog training clickers are very simple devices and not very costly, you can afford to try out a few different models before zeroing in on the best dog clickers for training your pooch. And we recommend getting a bunch of them 4-5 of the same model for different places – both indoors and outdoors
In addition to any style, look and budgetary constraints you might have, you should check the following factors before picking the best dog clicker for training:
- Building material
- Design and portability
- Sound pitch
- Additional factors and considerations
The building material of the pet training clicker is an important factor to consider as it governs the overall durability and reliability of the product.
Most of the options that we listed are made of high-quality materials with ABS plastic bodies and metallic clicker element. The best clickers have a metal clicker made of stainless steel that does not rust easily. The clicker buttons are generally made of silicone rubber or plastic.
Most clickers that we listed also have an elastic wrist strap for easy portability. The quality of wrist strap, O-rings and keychain clips varies with the price, though we have only listed options which are built to last.
Check the building material of the clicker element and the clicker body before picking the best dog clicker model.
Design and portability
The design of the clicker is probably the most important factor to consider before picking the best model as it governs the ease of use and portability of the clicker.
Most modern-day clickers and especially the ones we listed have an ergonomic design which can easily fit in the palm of the hand. There are no sharp edges or protruding parts of box-type clickers.
To help in portability almost all the models that we listed have a lanyard hole or a wrist strap, making them comfortable to carry around. Even the click sticks that we listed have a belt clip for easy transportation. The only exception is the PetSafe Clik-R Trainer, which has an adjustable finger strap.
The clicker button is available in two designs – the elevated design and the suppressed design. Both offer a single hand operation. The elevated design in clickers such as StarMark Dog Training Clicker does make the clicker a bit bulky, but it ensures that there are no missed or false clicks. Our personal preference is a clicker with an elevated clicker button.
Check the design features, the clicker size and portability support before picking the best dog clickers for your training needs.
Closely related with the clicker element and its design is the sound pitch or volume of the clicker. Different clickers offer different volume clicks.
Our top pick – the StarMark Dog Training Clicker probably has the most potent clicking sound. This may be useful in most cases (outdoors vs indoors) but for pets with sensitivity issues, you would probably need a more gentle clicker such as the PetSafe Clik-R Trainer.
Check the volume and sound pitch of the clicker before picking the best dog clicker for training your pooch. You can generally find this information from the manufacturer videos and Q&A section of the product.
Additional factors and considerations
In addition to the four major factors discussed above, there are a few miscellaneous additional considerations that can make a specific dog training clicker a better choice over others.
One such consideration is the additional accessories, if any, that come with the clicker. Most of the options that we listed either include multiple clickers and/or have a clicker training guide to help you with the training process. Keep these accessories in mind before picking the best option.
Another additional factor is the color combination in which the training clicker is available. Bright, reflective colors are fashionable and make the dog training clicker out even in low light. All the multi-clicker sets that we listed come in multiple vibrant colors.
Finally, one of the most important additional consideration is the warranty and post-purchase customer service support offered on the clicker by the manufacturer. Karen Pryor Clicker Training products and established manufacturers such as StarMark and PetSafe score big in this category with their excellent warranties and dedicated online customer support service. In terms of warranty, the KPCT Terry Ryan Clik Stik is our favorite because of the unique Train Better Guarantee throughout the product’s lifetime.
Just make sure you make your purchase only from manufacturers and authorized re-sellers to ensure that you get the genuine product and not a knock-off.
Keep these small considerations in mind as well before picking the best pet training clicker for your needs.
Best clicker training books and resources
If you are looking for some beginner information and additional resources on clicker training, then check out the following best clicker training books:
- Getting Started: Clicker Training for Dogs by Karen Pryor: A concise, beginner book on clicker training by one of the first proponents and expert-par-excellence on Clicker Training. Available in Kindle, hardcover or paperback formats. Well-supported by the ClickerTraining.com website.
- Clicking with Your Dog: Step-by-Step by Peggy Tillman: Another excellent beginner resource from the Karen Pryor Clicker Books series. In 224 pages, the book presents a pictorial account of how to clicker train your dog.
- Naughty No More by Marilyn Krieger: An easy-to-read beginner guide on clicker training for cats. In 150 odd pages, the book covers how to teach everyday obedience and tricks to felines using a clicker.
For some more clicker training books check out the Karen Pryor Clicker Training book collection. You can also check out our articles on the best dog training books and best cat training books for some additional recommendations.
Clicker training for two dogs or multiple pets
One of the most common questions that gets asked about clicker training is how can clicker training be used to train two dogs at the same time, and are there any special training aids and dog clickers that can help in the situation. The situation becomes even more challenging if one of the dogs has made more progress on training – he/she can get irritated when you try to use the clicker on the other dog.
If you are stuck in such a situation you can consider mixing training aids. For example, use clicker for one dog and a dog whistle for the other dog/pet. Or simply rely on a verbal cue for one of the pets. Or try out one of those Clicker SmartApps which can produce multiple sounds.
And if you are looking for a “real” clicker that can produce click at different volumes/tones, then check out the COA Multi-Clicker. This dog training clicker has a patented volume/tone control to produce sounds at three different levels. Get a couple of them and tune them to different levels for different pets.
We also recommend that you check out this short and to-the-point post by Karen Pryor on how to clicker train two dogs. The post explains the process in easy to follow steps.
Final thoughts on the best dog clickers for training
Since its introduction in the early 1980’s, clicker training is one of the most convenient, simple and humane self-training techniques for training pets and behavior correction. Clicker training is effective with almost all pets – be it dogs, cats, birds, even horses. All you need is some treats as a positive stimulus, a clicker as an audio cue and you are good to get started.
In this article, we looked at some of the best dog clickers available in the market for training your pet. We looked at durable and compact devices that are effective, affordable and easy to carry around. In fact, clickers are so affordable, then you would probably end up having a bunch of them around the household during the training period. And they work well with cats, birds and other pets too.
We hope that you found this article useful and it would help you in picking the best dog clicker for training your pooch. Do let us know your feedback and questions by commenting below. Until next time, have a happy training stint with your Fido!