If you are a cat owner or planning to get one in near future, then it is obvious that you would have made arrangements for a place for your cat to do its business by getting a cat litter box. One of the major challenges with using a standard cat litter box is how to minimize the scattering of cat litter around the house through your feline’s feet. Cat litter mats are exactly the item you need to virtually eliminate tracking of litter.
But which are the best cat litter mats to opt for? In this article, we look at answering specifically the same question by sharing some of the best cat litter mats available in the market. You would find the options that we listed efficient and comfortable to you and your feline friend. And some of them can also double up as feeding mats. We will also look at some of the factors to consider while picking up the best cat litter mat or mats for your needs and share our top picks. So, buckle up and read on!
Best cat litter mats listSome of the best cat litter mats in the market to reduce litter tracking are listed below:
|Blackhole Cat Litter Mat||30" x 23"||- Popular double-layered mat made with non-toxic, scratch-free EVA foam rubber. |
- Patented pouch-like design. The perforated top layer captures the litter from cat's legs and deposits on a solid-rubber bottom layer, which can be periodically cleaned.
- Triple stitching on the sides keeps the litter secure on the mat.
- Ideal for all kinds of flooring and easy to clean with soap and water.
- Available in three colors and also available in Extra-Large and Medium sizes.
|Smiling Paws Pets Premium Litter Mat||L: 35" x 23.5"|
XL: 47” x 33”
|- Durable cat litter mat made with non-toxic, BPA-free commercial-grade PVC and a rubberized non-slip bottom. Designed to withstand serious scratching and clawing.|
- Uses a patented TM-9 litter trapper technology which has been proven to be very effective in trapping cat litter from feet.
- Suitable for all types of floorings. Water-resistant and can be vacuumed or washed with hand.
- Available in four colors and two large sizes, suitable for multi-cat homes.
- Backed by a limited lifetime warranty.
|Easyology Cat Litter Mat||35" x 23"||- Best value, elegant-looking, extra thick mat made of PVC material. Scratch-proof with a modern, patterned look.|
- Tightly woven coils capture the litter, without being harsh on pet's feet. Vacuum friendly.
- Lightweight, but designed to work on all floor types - even the slippery ones. Water-resistant but not waterproof.
- Available in seven color combinations and also in a Jumbo Size for multiple litter boxes.
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer.
|iPrimio Cat Litter Trapper||32” x 30”||- Premium, twin-layer litter trapper mat with EVA foam construction and nylon mesh on the sides.|
- Has a top layer with wide holes to let the litter pass on to the lower layer. The lower layer can absorb minor urine discharge.
- Bigger holes on top layer than the Blackhole litter mats, allowing it to be used with pellet litter boxes as well.
- Lightweight and easy to clean with soap and water. Not machine washable
- Available in two colors.
|Pieviev Anti-Tracking Cat Litter Mat||30”X 24”||- Double-layered cat litter mat, made with durable, non-toxic and BPA, BPS and Phthalate-free EVA top and waterproof oxford fabric bottom Heavy-duty and durable construction while being easy on kitty’s paws.|
- Unique honeycomb design with 10mm holes to trap and lock litter to the lower layer. The trapped litter cat be recycled periodically. The bottom layer is slip-resistant.
- Waterproof, washable and extremely easy to clean with a water hose. Vacuum friendly top surface.
- Available in multiple sizes and single color (grey) and backed by a 100% hassle-free satisfaction guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer.
|WooPet! Cat Litter Mat||24” x 22”||- Double-layered cat litter mat with a unique arch cut to fit under most litter boxes. The top layer is made with EVA foam and the bottom layer is waterproof rubber.|
- The top layer is has a 3D, honeycomb design to capture litter from pet's feet, the bottom layer is solid to hold the litter. Works best with non-pellet litter.
- Vacuum-free cleanup by pouring the litter back in the litter box.
- Portable and smaller in size makes it easy to transport.
- Backed by a 90-day money back guarantee.
|Pawkin Cat Litter Mat||35" x 23"||- Single-layered litter mat made with high-quality, non-toxic PVC material, with a non-slip bottom, that makes it suitable for all types of floorings. |
- Patented Litter Lock mesh designed to trap dry litter from pet's feet. Can withstand scratching and wiping by the pet. Vacuum friendly and can be hand-washed or spray downed.
- Water-resistant, but not fully waterproof.
- Backed by a 100% money back guarantee.
|Petmate Litter Catcher Mat||L: 35" x 23"|
XL: 47” x 32”
|- Budget cat litter mat made with a soft, proprietary tufted rubberized material. Durable construction, with stitched, seams.|
- Soft on cat's paws and easy to clean with a vacuum. Can be washed with water with hand or hose.
- Not waterproof.
- Elegant design with a decent doormat look. Available in two sizes and three colors.
|The Original Gorilla Grip Premium Cat Litter Mat||L: 35" x 23"|
XL: 47” x 35”
|- Budget litter mat made with BPA, Phthalate-free PVC top surface and a rubberized, non-slip bottom. Works best with standard clumping litter.|
- Patterned grooves and tightly knit mesh are designed to efficiently capture litter from cat's paws.
- Designed to work with all standard floorings. Hand washable and vacuum-friendly.
- Available in two generously large sizes and four standard colors.
|PetFusion ToughGrip Silicone Cat Litter Mat||L: 30" x 23"|
XL: 38" x 26"
|- Newly introduced cat litter mat made with silicone-based rubber. Slip-resistant, fully waterproof and anti-microbial.|
- Features a soft comfortable surface for cat to walk on. Elevated inner ridges and a 0.3 inch outer ridge to track litter without spilling it on the surface.
- Easy to clean - can be broomed, washed or vacuumed.
- Backed by a one-year warranty.
What is a cat litter mat and why do you need one?
A cat litter trapper mat or simply a cat litter mat is a special rug or mat that is designed to capture the pieces of litter from the paws and claws of the cat, thereby preventing them from scattering across the household.
Cat litter mats are sometimes also referred to as “cat litter tracking mat”, “cat litter trapper mats” or “cat litter catcher mats”. These mats are generally placed adjacent to the cat litter box to trap any litter that gets attached to the feline’s legs and paws. An effective cat litter mat is one that minimizes the tracking of litter while being comfortable for the cat to walk on.
Cat litter mats are generally made of rubberized materials (EVA) or PVC material and are available in multiple sizes, designs and color combinations.In addition to tracking litter, cat litter mats can also be effective as feeding mats. Furthermore, in addition to felines, they also work well with puppies, elderly dogs and other ferret pets.
In the next sections, we will look at how to pick the best cat litter mat for your household and share our top picks. We will also look at some additional ways of minimizing litter tracking around your home and even share some cat litter mat alternatives.
How to pick the best cat litter mat for your kitty
With so many options available in the market with each manufacturer claiming superior litter capture, picking the best cat litter mat can be a challenging task. After all, you do not want a litter mat that ends up being nothing more than a costly rug!
So, in order to pick the best cat litter mat for your home, you should look at the following factors in addition to any budget constraints that you might have:
- Cat litter mat material
- Design and performance of the litter mat
- Size of the litter mat
- Ease of cleaning
- Color and looks
Cat litter mat material
The construction material of the cat litter mat is probably the first thing you should look at. The base material of the litter mat governs its efficiency in trapping litter, comfort, looks, durability and maintenance requirement.
Cat litter trapper mats are made of one of the two broad categories of materials:
- Plastic-based material: Plastic or vinyl litter mats are typically made of dense PVC-material that is knitted closely to form a mesh. The density of the plastic wires is high enough to act as a trapper for litter, while still being comfortable for your cat to walk on. Most such mats have their signature patterns designed to improve their efficiency in capturing litter. Moreover, in order to prevent slipping, some high-quality PVC mats have a rubberized non-slip bottom.PVC mats are elegant looking and most manufacturers offer nice carpet or rug like color combinations. They are also easier to clean using a vacuum or brush. PVC litter mats are also generally cheaper than single or double layered EVA foam or rubber litter mats.
The major drawback of such litter mats is that they have a tendency to absorb odors and getting stained easily after a feline accident. So you would have to provide more maintenance. They are also not as durable as the high-end rubber mats.
Finally, because of the chemically-active nature of plastic, you have to ensure that you pick a PVC litter mat that explicitly says that it is made from non-toxic, BPA and Phthalate-free material. Anything else would be harmful to your cat and your family.
- Rubberized Material: Rubber litter mats are generally made of proprietary rubber or EVA Foam like materials. They are generally double-layered, with the top layer allowing the litter particles to fall through to the solid bottom layer where they can be collected. This dual layer design makes them easier to maintain. Such mats are also non-slippery and work with all types of floors, preferably tiles and hardwood.Some high-end models even allow you to add a thin litter pad over the lower layer to absorb moisture and minimize odors. This arrangement is especially useful for hardwood floorings. Such litter mats require less maintenance, which generally involves dumping the collected litter back into the litter pan or dustbin. They can also be hand washed or hosed down.
Because of the natural, chemical-inert nature of rubberized materials, they are generally non-toxic. But the drawback is that they are not available in fancy patterns and colors. And they are costlier than PVC litter mats. Still, if you have a tracking problem with your cat or have multiple cats, you would find such mats more useful.
Check out the construction material of a litter mat to pick one that would be most comfortable for your feline. A handy tip – you can check the softness of the litter mat by running your hand through it. If you find it comfortable, it is likely to be comfortable for your cat as well.
Design and performance of the litter mat
Irrespective of whether you opt for a single-layered mat or a sandwich or pocket-type double-layered mat, you are looking for a cat litter mat that is effective at capturing the litter tracked in your kitty’s paws and legs, while being comfortable for the pet to walk on.
You need to pick a litter mat that can be effective with the type of litter you use. For example, among double-layered rubber mats, our top pick – the Blackhole Cat Litter Mat is capable of handling all types of non-pellet litters, while the iPrimio Cat Litter Trapper, with its honeycomb design, works well with large-granules and pellet-type of litter also.
Among the PVC litter mats, the Smiling Paws Pets Premium Litter Mat has been reported to be the most effective in capturing the litter and minimize litter tracking by many cat owners.
Other design features for an effective litter mat are:
- Ability to keep the captured litter contained by having a stitched lining around the periphery.
- Thicker layer of material to withstand scratching and clawing
- Moisture resistant abilities to absorb minor urine accidents, and
- Non-slip bottom surface to minimize slipping and displacement when walked upon.
Check out all these design features to determine which would be the best cat litter mat for your home.
Another handy tip – Most litter mats are shipped rolled-up. This is not a problem for rubber litter mats but something to worry about in plastic litter mats. In order to straighten out a rolled-up PVC litter mat, you can leave it in the sun for some time or use a hairdryer. This would flatten the litter mat and make it easy to setup and use.
Size of the litter mat
In addition to its build and design, the size of a cat litter mat is also an important consideration to keep in mind, especially if you have a multi-cat household.
The bigger the mat, the more litter it can trap. So look for getting a litter mat that is big enough to allow more than a couple of steps from your cat. A large or extra-large mat is suitable for laying the “red-carpet” for an adult cat. Most of the options that we have listed are L/XL at 30+ inches by 20+ inches, though you can also get bigger Jumbo-sized mats in case you have multiple litter boxes.
Ease of cleaning
In addition to the chore of cleaning the litter box, the chore of periodically cleaning your litter mat would also get added to your list of things to do. So you would obviously like a litter mat that is easy to clean periodically or after an accident.
In general, the double-layered rubber/EVA litter mats require lesser maintenance, as the top layers have spouts and grooves that lets the litter to get collected on the bottom layer, which can then be poured back in the litter pan or into the trash. Moreover, such litter mats allow you to add a thin absorbing pad over the bottom layer to absorb any urine accidents that your cat might have on the mat. They can also be washed with water and air-dried.
Single-layered PVC litter mats can be cleaned by vacuuming or sweeping the dry litter. For urines and feces, you would have to clean them with water. All the options that we have listed can be hosed with water or hand washed to remove any defecation mishaps your cat might have on the mat.
Having elevated borders on the side of the mat helps in keeping the litter on the mat. However, if your cat is prone to urine discharges outside the litter box, consider picking a mat that does not have a thick absorbing microfiber or nylon stitching on the border as it can absorb the urine and cause a foul smell.
You can look at the videos and reviews of the litter mat to determine how easy or difficult it would be for you to clean and maintain the mat before picking the best cat litter mat for your household.
Color and looks
The color and looks of your litter mat is also sometimes a factor for not only you but also your cat. Cats are very finicky about their daily-use items, so picking a mat that your cat would find suitable to use is as important as your own preferences.
You can generally get more colors in the PVC litter mats, while the rubber litter mats generally have a couple of solid single color options. Some mats even have cat-friendly logos on them to give them a more elegant look.
Based on your flooring type, carpet color and cat’s preference you can pick the most suitable color for your litter mat.
Another important factor to check out is the warranty and service support provided by the manufacturer. The longer the warranty on the product the more durable it generally would be.
Almost all the options that we listed support the 30-day satisfaction guarantee service. Some manufacturers also provide additional guarantees spanning up to 90 days. A couple of options such as the Smiling Paws Pets Premium Litter Mat even provide a lifetime warranty on their mats, making such options an attractive choice to consider.
Keep these additional small considerations in mind while picking the best cat litter mat for your needs.
Which are the best cat litter mats and what our picks are?
The Moonshuttle Blackhole cat litter mat is top of the line double-layered rubberized cat litter mat. It is a perfect litter mat to get especially if you have a messy cat that likes to kick litter or multiple cats.
The Blackhole cat litter mat is made from non-toxic, scratch-free EVA foam rubber. It has a patented pocket or pouch design with two layers. The top layer has elevated perforations (alternatively concave and convex) that capture the tracked litter from the cat’s feet and pass it to the bottom, solid layer. The litter can get collected to the bottom layer and then poured back in the kitty litter box or discard it in a dustbin. Its one-side open pocket design makes it easy to do that. The litter mat is soft and comfortable for your cat to walk on.
The perforations on the top layer of the litter mat are ideally sized to capture small as well as large granules. Only the extra-large pellet type of litter granules may not fall be trapped effectively, so keep that in mind before picking it as your choice. The iPrimio Cat Litter Trapper is a better choice in these cases.
Another advantage of this design is that if your cat is prone to urine accidents outside the litter box, you can put in an absorbent puppy pad over the bottom layer to prevent the urine from seeping through to the hardwood floor or carpet.
The Blackhole litter mat has a triple stitching on the periphery, which ensures its durability and helps in keeping the litter secure over the mat. The cat litter mat is washable with hand, so you can clean it with soap and water. You can even hose it down or wipe it with a wet cloth to keep it fresh.
The Blackhole cat litter mat is available in three colors – the standard black color, beige color and a newly introduced vibrant lime green color. These litter mats are also available in larger- Extra-Large and smaller Medium sizes.
If you are looking for a high-quality PVC litter mat that is very effective, lightweight and still very durable, then the cat litter mat by Smiling Paws Pets is the one to check out. It would definitely make your cat and any visitors to your home smile!
The Smiling Paws Pet cat litter mat is made of high-quality, BPA, BPS and Phthalate-free PVC plastic fiber. The mat is ultra-soft for your cat’s feet and lightweight enough to be taken off and cleaned up easily. It is notably sturdier than most other PVC litter mats and can survive some scratching and clawing by your feline friend. It has a non-slip rubberized bottom to prevent it from accidentally moving.
The litter mat boasts of a patented TM-9 litter trapper technology that captures most of the excess litter stuck on your cat’s paws. It even catches the special pellet-type litter granules such as ones by CatGenie. The litter mat is vacuum friendly and can be cleaned easily by washing with soap and water or hosed down to remove any solid waste particles.
The Smiling Paws Pet litter mat is advertised to be waterproof, though some people did report the urine just seeping through just like other litter mats. Not a big disadvantage though, as you would anyway want to clean the litter mat as soon as possible after the accident.
The Smiling Paws Pet litter mat is available in four standard colors, with an elegant cat logo on the top – Black, Brown, Beige and Gray. It is available in two large sizes. And one of the best parts is that it is backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee commitment by the manufacturer.
If you are looking for a decent quality cat litter mat that minimizes litter tracking and do not want to spend a fortune, then you should definitely check out one of the Easyology Cat Litter Mats. Easyology has so many elegant looking designs, color combinations and sizes available that your main challenge would be which one to pick from the collection.
The Easyology cat litter mat is made of high-quality BPA-free PVC material. It is scratch-proof and unlike other cheap litter mats, is extra thick at around 0.75 inches.
The Easyology litter mat does an excellent job at trapping even the smallest of cat litter granules. It boasts of a patent-pending loop design technology which consists of very tightly-woven plastic fiber coils that hold the litter while being soft on the cat’s paws. In fact, it is probably the softest PVC litter mat out there. Its non-slip bottom may not be as stable as the Smiling Paws Pets litter mat, but it is pretty close! The mat does not slide or slip easily irrespective of the type of flooring.
The Easyology mat is really “easy” to clean! A couple of passes of vacuum is all it takes to remove the litter from the mat. It is also hand/hose washable with soap and water to remove any remaining odors.
One of the best parts of the Easyology litter mats is that it is available in seven color combinations and also in a Jumbo Size for multiple litter boxes. There are smaller litter mats also available, but X-Large or Jumbo size is what is best suited for an adult cat home.
Cat litter mat alternatives
If you would like to check out some alternatives to the commercial cat litter trapper mat or have a cat that does not like them, then there are some household alternatives that you can look at to work as litter tracking mats. Just remember to vacuum them regularly:
- Old car mats: Old rubber car mats are designed to track crumbs and worn-out car mats can work well with cat’s feet too.
- Yoga mats: Your old yoga mats can also provide a comfortable surface for cat to walk on while capturing any litter pieces from its feet.
- Regular welcome mat: Regular welcome mats may also find some favor with cats, who may also love them as scratching surface for their claws.
- Carpet pieces: If you have a flooring business nearby, you can look at buying some old pieces of living room rug to use as a litter tracking mat.
Additional Tips to minimize cat litter tracking
In addition to investing in a cat litter mat, there are a few more tips and tricks that you can follow to minimize litter scattering and tracking around the house. Some of these tips are summarized below:
- If you have a cat that likes to dig through the litter, consider getting a self-cleaning litter box. You can check out our article on the subject to pick the best one. If you do not want to invest in a costly automatic litter box, consider getting a standard litter box with high walls.
- Consider picking a non-tracking litter which has heavier granules, if your finicky fur-ball is comfortable with it. Arm & Hammer Multi-Cat Litter is one such choice.
- Keep your feline’s claws and paws clean and healthy. Get a scratching post or pad if your cat likes to scratch or rub its claws. You can also get the nails trimmed periodically (though your cat may not like it very much!).
- If your cat jumps over the litter mat or avoids it while entering the litter box, it means that the cat is not comfortable with the mat. You can employ some positive reinforcement techniques to habituate your cat to walk over it. However if your cat just refuses to use it, consider returning or replacing it with another litter mat.
- If your cat urinates on the litter mat, clean it as soon as you can to avoid odors. Some waterproof litter mats let the urine seep through, while the water-resistant litter mats have a tendency to absorb the urine and can lead to uncomfortable odor once the urine dries down.
- In addition to the standard vacuum cleaner, get a cordless handheld vacuum. Such vacuums are very handy in removing small litter granules from the litter mat.
Following these tips along with a litter mat would make your home clean and comfortable for you and your beloved feline. For some more tips and suggestions, check out some of the resources in our article on the best cat training guides.
Final thoughts on the best cat litter mats
The cat litter mat is an important part of the littering arrangement for your furry friend. After all, your cat would use the litter box three to four times a day to do its business, and having a cat litter mat that tracks the litter effectively would help keep your house clean and free from odors.
In this article, we looked at some of the best cat litter mats available in the market. We primarily focused on large and jumbo-sized premium cat litter trapper mats that are pretty effective at tracking litter. Whether you have a single large cat or multiple cats, you would find these mats “purrfect” for your home. And some of these cat litter mats can even double up as feeding mats!
We hope that you found this article useful and it would help you in picking the best cat litter mat as per your requirements and preferences. Do let us know your feedback and questions by commenting below. Until next time, have a playful time with your fur-ball!