Keeping the home from smelling like a cat is a big challenge for any cat parent. Your kitty’s litter box is a major source of this odor and the problem becomes more pronounced if you have more than one cat. If you are one of those cat owners who is looking to minimize these litter box odors, then a cat litter deodorizer is a perfect solution for you.
But which are the best deodorizers for cat litter? What are the different types of cat litter deodorizers and which one would be best for you and your cat?
In this article, we will look at answering specifically the above questions and list some of the best cat litter deodorizers available in the market for reducing the stinky litter box odor.
We will discuss the different types of deodorizers for cat litter, their pros and cons and the major factors to consider before picking the best cat litter deodorizer for your needs. Read On!
You can also check out our article on the best cat litter disposal systems for another excellent odor-minimizing solution for your kitty’s litter box.
Best cat litter deodorizers listSome of the best cat litter deodorizers to help minimize the stinky smell of litter around the house are listed below:
|NonScents Cat Litter Deodorizer||16 oz.|
|Arm & Hammer Multiple Cat Litter Deodorizer||30 oz.|
Baking soda-based powder.
|Prestige Pet Magic All-Natural Cat Litter Deodorizer||8 oz.|
Activated carbon-based granules. 100% natural.
|Litterbiotic All-Natural Cat Litter Deodorizer||3.5 oz.|
Wheat bran-based probiotic powder. 100% natural.
|Rocco & Roxie Professional Strength Stain & Odor Eliminator Spray||32 fl. oz.|
Odor eliminating spray with bio-enzymatic formula.
|Nature's Miracle Just for Cats Litter Box Odor Destroyer Spray||24 fl. oz.|
Odor eliminating spray with Pet-safe chemical enzymes.
|Unicharm Cat Litter Deodorizer Beads||15.0 oz.|
Non-water soluble beads with pet-safe chemicals.
|LitterMaid Natural Zeolite Litter Box Deodorizer||20 oz.|
|Citrus Magic Pet Odor Control Pods||6 oz. for 6 pods.|
Odor eliminating pods with Pet-safe chemicals.
|Fresh Step Litter Box Deodorizing Pods||1.6 oz. each.|
Odor eliminating pods with Pet-Safe essential oils and paper ball.
What are cat litter deodorizers and how can they be useful?
Dealing with the smell of kitty waste and soiled litter is not the most enjoyable thing for any cat owner.
There are a variety of factors that make handling the cat litter waste so difficult. The feline’s urine contains pheromones and hormones which release mercaptans and ammonia odors. Cat litter deodorizers can help considerably in managing these smells and odors.
As the name suggests, cat litter deodorizers are specially-formulated products that help in reducing the odors coming out of the litter box. When used along with high-quality litter and frequent scooping, cat litter deodorizers can help you get rid of that catty smell from your house.
Cat litter deodorizers are available in a variety of forms – powder, granules, sprays, beads and even concentrated pods. Irrespective of the type of deodorizers, most of them contain one or more of the most popular deodorizing products – baking soda, calcium carbonate, zeolite, borax or enzymatic probiotics. All these products are safe to use around pets and humans.
Some cat litter deodorizers are also enriched with special perfumes and scents to mask the odor while others are totally unscented.
One of the first questions that would obviously come to your mind is why do you need a cat litter deodorizer? Wouldn’t getting a litter with odor-control formula or using simple baking soda be sufficient.
Some of the major ways in which cat litter deodorizers are superior to these products, especially for multi-cat homes, are:
- Cat litter deodorizers have a more concentrated amount of odor-control substances when compared to the concentration of these substances in the litter.
- Cat litter deodorizers do not clump like litter and instead perform better when in contact with moisture.
- Cat litter deodorizers perform better and last longer than using just baking soda to control odors.
- Cat litter deodorizers are available in multiple forms – soft powder, dust-free granules, liquid sprays, and concentrated pods, giving you a multitude of options to pick from. And almost all cat litter deodorizers are non-toxic and safe, even if ingested in small amounts.
There are also some limitations of using these deodorizers for neutralizing cat litter smells. First of all, your cat may not like the scent or smell these products produce. Cats have a stronger sense of smell than humans and may not like the strong fragrances and chemical smells of some of these products.
Moreover, certain formulations may be more dangerous when ingested than plain litter. So, if you have a feline that occasionally ingests/chews on the litter then you have to be careful before using such an odor-neutralizing solution.
Despite these limitations, if you are someone who hates the smell of litter and are looking for a clean and convenient mechanism to manage this odor, then a cat litter deodorizer is a must-buy for you. And if used in small prescribed amounts, it can be a safe solution around cats and humans.
Types of Cat Litter Deodorizers
Before we look at which are the best deodorizers for cat litter, let us discuss the different types of cat litter deodorizers available in the market:
- Cat litter deodorizer powders: The litter deodorizer powders are the most common types of cat litter deodorizers in the market. These generally have baking-soda based formulations and are ground to a powder form to be mixed with the cat litter. Most of them have moisture-based activation and are enriched with scents to mask the smell of litter waste. Deodorizer powders are quite efficient, cheap and extremely easy to use. However, because of their lighter weight, they can be released in the air with litter and also tracked around the house. And in some cases, the scent of powder deodorizer may upset the kitty, leading to litter box aversion.
Arm & Hammer Multiple Cat Litter Deodorizer is one of the most popular examples of cat litter deodorizer powders available in the market.
- Cat litter deodorizer granules: Litter deodorizer granules have a bigger grain size and are generally derived from Zeolite or related silicates. Most granule-based cat litter deodorizers are generally unscented or very lightly scented with the natural earthy smell of silicates and only needed in a small amount per litter change. Furthermore, because of heavier grains, they do not track easily with litter. However, because of a smaller proportion in the litter, they may not be as efficient as powders in managing the litter odor. They are also costlier than deodorizer powders.
NonScents Cat Litter Deodorizer and Prestige Pet Magic All-Natural Cat Litter Deodorizer are a couple of examples of cat litter deodorizer granules.
- Cat litter deodorizer beads: Deodorizer beads have a larger and heavier grain size than granules and are generally meant to only be used to control odors at the most common trouble spots such as the corners of the litter box. They do not release any dust while sifting and do not track, however they are costlier than other deodorizing solutions. And if you have a kitty that occasionally chews the litter, using beads in the litter is not suitable.
Unicharm Cat Litter Deodorizer Beads is an example of cat litter deodorizer spray.
- Cat litter deodorizer sprays: Cat litter deodorizer sprays are another very popular type of odor neutralizers in the market. They are generally formulated with baking soda or its variant as an active ingredient mixed with enzymatic odor eliminators. These sprays can also be used on the litter boxes or around the house for neutralizing all types of odors. And you need not worry about the dust or tracking. However, they tend to evaporate, and you will need to re-spray the litter box frequently to control the odors.
Rocco & Roxie Professional Strength Stain & Odor Eliminator Spray is an example of cat litter deodorizer spray.
- Cat litter deodorizer pods: These deodorizers are somewhat similar to toilet and room air freshener pods with a solid piece of active odor neutralizing agent with or without a cover. A cat deodorizer pod can last anywhere from one week to as long as one month (depending upon the size of the pod); So, cat litter deodorizer pods are very convenient to use. However, you will have to be mindful of accidental ingestion by the cat or any other pet (or a child) while using such pods. Moreover, they have mixed success rates, especially when used with special litter types.
Citrus Magic Pet Odor Control Pods and Fresh Step Litter Box Deodorizing Pods are a couple of examples of cat litter deodorizer pods.
In the next sections, we will look at some of the best cat litter deodorizers available in the market and share our top picks. We would also cover the main factors to consider before picking the best cat litter deodorizer for your needs and some alternatives to help you manage the litter-box odors.
Which are the best cat litter deodorizers to reduce litter box smell?
Type: Cat litter deodorizer granules.
Ingredients: 99.5% natural and non-toxic Crystalline Clinoptilolite Zeolite and 0.5% proprietary natural ingredients. 100% biodegradable.
- 16 oz.
- Produces a faint Chlorine-bleach smell when in contact with wet waste.
Price: $$ to $$$ depending upon the pack size.
- Best-selling unscented granule-based cat litter deodorizer with a 100% natural, non-toxic and biodegradable volcanic Zeolite formulation. Made in the US from crystalline Zeolite sources locally.
- Effective and fast acting – traps odors and moisture on contact. Largely unscented, dust-free and safe for pets and humans. Because of the heavy and large granule size, it does not track or release in the air while scooping.
- Easy to apply by simply sprinkling a layer in the litter box, filling with litter and then sprinkle a small amount on corners and trouble spots. However, it requires more quantity per litter change than some other granule or litter bead deodorizers.
- Suitable for both standard and automatic litter boxes and works with all types of cat litter – clumping clay litter, crystal litter, pellet litter, and paper litter.
- Versatile and can also be used for odor control in trash compactors, garbage cans, kennels, and animal carriers.
- Available in a pack size of one to six cans and an extra-large 8 lbs. resealable bag. One 16 oz. can generally lasts for 3-4 weeks for a single cat litter box.
- Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer. Premium-priced and slightly costlier than other cat litter deodorizers, but you get what you pay for.
The best-selling NonScents Cat Litter Deodorizer is one of the most popular granule-based cat litter deodorizers in the market for quite some time. It is also our favorite cat litter deodorizer solution.
The NonScents Cat Litter Deodorizer features a proprietary formulation with 99.5% Crystalline Clinoptilolite Zeolite with a 0.5% patent-pending natural-ingredient coating. The deodorizer granules are 100% non-toxic, chemical-free, biodegradable and safe to use around pets and humans.
The NonScents Cat Litter Deodorizer is extremely effective and acts quickly to trap odors. The Zeolite in itself is a strong odor neutralizer that acts on contact with moisture, though the manufacturer claims that the 0.5% proprietary ingredients are what enhance the odor control properties even further.
The deodorizer is unscented and non-irritating (you may sometimes feel a faint bleach smell when the deodorizer comes in contact with the wet waste. This odor dies down quickly.). It’s 99+% dust-free, heavier granules means that the deodorizer does not track easily or get released in the atmosphere while scooping – a big plus indeed.
The NonScents deodorizer is easy to apply – you simply need to sprinkle a layer in the clean and dry litter box, fill with litter and then re-sprinkle a small amount on corners and trouble spots as required. One of the complaints some pet owners have is that you need to apply more amount per litter change when compared to some other granule litter deodorizers. But in our experience, the odor neutralizing that you get is far superior and the litter also tends to last longer with ample application.
The NonScents cat deodorizer works with all types of cat litter – clumping clay litter, crystal litter, pellet litter, and paper litter. And you can use it with a standard covered or uncovered cat litter box and also with the automatic cat litter box.
And that is not all! The odor neutralizer is a versatile product and you can also use it for odor control in trash compactors, garbage cans, kennels and animal carriers – another big benefit.
The NonScents Cat Litter Deodorizer is available in a can size of 16 oz. and available in a pack of one to six cans and even an extra-large 8 lbs. releasable bag. One can lasts anywhere from 3 to 4 weeks for a single cat litter box. The manufacturer stands strongly behind the product and each purchase is backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment.
Type: Cat litter deodorizer powder.
Ingredients: Sodium bicarbonate, Perlite, Distillates, Petroleum-byproducts, Hydrated silica, and Proprietary fragrance.
- 30 oz. Also available in 20 oz. box.
- Fresh linen/laundry detergent scent.
- Best-selling, value-for-money cat litter odor neutralizer powder with a baking-soda-based non-toxic formulation. Made in the US by Church & Dwight Company – the worldwide leaders in odor control solutions for pets and humans.
- Double-duty odor neutralizer that is effective and quick-acting – moisture-activated scent refreshes the litter every time the feline uses the box and innovative technology helps in preventing the clumps from sticking to the bottom of the litter box. Safe for pets and humans but may release in the air during sifting.
- Easy to use – for best results, mix the deodorizer powder generously with fresh litter. Each resealable carton can help control litter box odors for up to one month. For trouble spots and occasional use, just sprinkle 1 tablespoon daily in the litter box.
- Suitable for both standard and automatic litter boxes. Works with most types of litter – clumping clay litter, scoopable crystal litter, or natural scented or unscented pellet or paper litter.
- Available in a set of 20 oz. or 30 oz. resealable carton. The carton is made from 100% recycled paperboard. Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer.
- Competitively priced and cheaper than most other cat litter deodorizers. The manufacturer also offers the standard Arms & Hammer Deodorizer Powder for single-cat litter boxes.
The New Jersey, US-based Church & Dwight Company has been the premium manufacturer of odor-control solutions for humans and pets for over 170 years and their Arm & Hammer series of cat litter products are the worldwide best-sellers. The Arm & Hammer Multiple Cat Litter Deodorizer powder is no different and there is a good reason for that.
The Arm & Hammer multiple cat litter deodorizer powder features a double-power baking-soda-based non-toxic formulation, that includes Perlite, distillates, petroleum-byproducts, hydrated silica along with proprietary fresh-linen odor-neutralizing fragrance. Like other Arm & Hammer products, the deodorizer powder is made in the US from locally-sourced products and is biodegradable, but you should not flush it with the litter.
The Arm & Hammer Multi-cat deodorizer powder has a strong and effective formulation with quick-acting baking soda that destroys odors instantly with the moisture-activated scent refreshing the litter every time the feline uses the box. Moreover, the powder helps in preventing the litter clumps from sticking to the bottom of the litter box, thereby simplifying sifting and scooping. Lab tests and studies have shown that the deodorizer provides effective odor control for up to 9 days – about 30-40% longer than using only baking soda for odor control.
The fragrance smells like fresh linen or similar to a laundry detergent. Some cats and humans may find it a little strong and overpowering, but most felines can tolerate it.
The deodorizer powder is extremely easy to use – just mix the powder generously with the fresh litter. For best results, you can sprinkle a small amount (not more than 1-2 tablespoons) daily around the trouble spots and corners.
The Arm & Hammer Multi-cat deodorizer powder works with all types of litter boxes – uncovered, covered and even automatic litter boxes. It also works well with most types of cat litter – clumping clay litter, scoopable crystal litter, or natural scented or unscented pellet or paper litter.
The deodorizer powder is available in a carton size of 20 or 30 ounces and the 30 ounces pack can last the whole month for a two-cat litter box. The carton is made from 100% recycled paperboard.
Like other Arm & Hammer products, the deodorizer is backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer. The manufacturer also offers other deodorizing products such as sprays and the standard Arms & Hammer Deodorizer Powder for single-cat litter boxes.
Type: Cat litter deodorizer granules.
Ingredients: 100% natural, chemical-free and non-toxic activated carbon extracted from charcoal, coconut husks, peat, nutshells, and wood. 100% biodegradable.
- 8 oz.
- Organic granule-based cat litter odor neutralizer with a 100% natural, chemical-free and non-toxic formulation containing activated carbon extracted from charcoal, coconut husks, peat, nutshells, and wood. Made in the US.
- Effective and fast-acting – eliminates odors, absorbs moisture and eliminates dangerous airborne bacteria. Unscented, 99% dust-free and safe for pets and humans.
- Easy to apply by simply sprinkling 1-2 teaspoons of granules in the litter and spreading around. Add additional granules on the corners and trouble spots. Approximately 2-4 oz. of deodorizer is needed per application.
- Suitable for both standard and automatic litter boxes. Works with all types of litter – clumping clay litter, crystal litter, pellet litter, and paper litter. Has a black texture that may need some getting used to by the feline.
- Available in a set of one or three 8 oz. resealable bags. Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer.
Type: Cat litter deodorizer powder.
Ingredients: 100% natural wheat-bran powder mixed with common probiotic microorganisms such as lactobacillus acidophilus.
- 5 oz. (100 grams).
- Innovative probiotics-based cat litter odor neutralizer with a 100% natural, non-toxic and biodegradable wheat-bran based formulation. Made in Canada.
- Efficient and effective probiotic organisms activate on contact with odor-causing bacteria and completely neutralize the odors quickly. Totally unscented.
- Easy to use – for best results, mix one-third of the deodorizer bag contents with fresh litter. Each resealable pouch controls litter box odors for up to one month. For trouble spots and occasional use, just sprinkle 1 tablespoon daily in the litter box.
- Works with all premium clumping litters and paper litters. Pet and human-safe. However, not effective with antibiotic litters and not totally dust-free.
- Available in a bag size of 100 g (3.5 oz.) and pack sizes suitable for one, three or twelve months.
- Backed by a six-month 100% satisfaction guaranteed or money back commitment by the manufacturer.
Type: Cat litter deodorizer spray and generic stain eliminator.
Ingredients: Water, Advanced Biological Blend, Non-Ionic Surfactant, Opacifier and odor neutralizer.
- 32 fl. oz. or 1 gallon container.
- Light fresh scent.
- Professional-grade odor neutralizer spray and stain remover with a pet-safe natural enzymatic bacteria-based formulation. Made in the US and certified by the Carpet and Rug Institute (CRI).
- Strong and effective bio-enzymatic ingredients activate on contact with odors and stains and completely remove the stain and stink. Chlorine-free and color-safe.
- Suitable for use on litter boxes, carpets, floors, furniture, clothing, and all pet living and sleeping areas. Simply spray around the litter box daily and let it dry to control odors. Safe for humans and pets with no residue.
- Also works as a laundry cleaner for any organic stains such as vomit or urine. Washing machine-safe.
- Available in a large 32 fl.oz. spray bottle and a 1-gallon container. Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed or money back commitment by the manufacturer.
- The manufacturer also offers Rocco & Roxie Litter Box Odor Eliminator Powder for use with cat litter.
Type: Cat litter deodorizer spray and generic airborne, fabric, and hard surface odor eliminator.
Ingredients: Water, Proprietary Oder Control Formula, Methylcloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.
- 24 fl. oz.
- Another popular cat litter deodorizer spray with a pet-safe proprietary formulation that instantly eliminates litter box odors. Made in the US.
- Effective and quick-acting ingredients activate on contact with the soiled surface or litter and completely remove the stain and stink. Unscented, chlorine-free and color-safe.
- Suitable for use on litter boxes, Simply spray around the litter box daily or after use by kitty to control odors. Safe for humans and pets with no residue.
- Works with all types of litter – clay, corn, pellets, and paper. Does not clump the litter. Also works for removing fabric, airborne and hard-surface odors.
- Available in a 24 fl.oz. spray bottle. Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed or money back commitment by the manufacturer.
- The manufacturer also offers Nature’s Miracle Just for Cats Odor Destroyer Powder and the scented Nature’s Miracle 3-in-1 Odor Destroyer Spray for use with cat litter.
Type: Cat litter deodorizer beads.
Ingredients: Proprietary non-water soluble formulation with fragrance.
- 15 oz.
- Light Floral, Natural Garden or Fresh Soap scent.
- High-quality cat litter odor control beads with a 100% non-toxic, biodegradable and pet-safe proprietary formulation. Made in Japan.
- Effective and fast-acting – eliminates odors and releases a light scent. Safe for pets and humans.
- Easy to apply by simply sprinkling some beads in the litter and spreading around. Start with a small amount and then progressively alter per use. The 15 oz. box lasts for 10 applications (approximately one month for a single litter box). The beads don’t crumble or fall apart even after repeated litter change.
- Suitable for standard open and covered litter boxes. Works with all types of litter – clumping clay litter, crystal litter, pellet litter, and paper litter. Non-flushable.
- Available in a set of single 15 oz. and three scents – floral, garden or soap. However, instructions are in Japanese.
Type: Cat litter deodorizer granules.
Ingredients: 100% natural, non-toxic and biodegradable volcanic Zeolite crushed into small granules with an added odor neutralizer.
- 20 oz.
- Fresh earthy scent.
- Standard, scented granule-based deodorizer with a 100% natural, non-toxic and biodegradable volcanic Zeolite formulation. Made in the US.
- Effective and fast acting – traps odors and moisture on contact. Lightly scented, dust-free and safe for pets and humans.
- Easy to apply by simply sprinkling a layer in the litter box, filling with litter and then sprinkle a small amount on corners and trouble spots. However, it requires more amount per litter change because of smaller granules.
- Suitable for both standard and automatic litter boxes and most types of cat litter.
- Available in a pack size of one to four cans.
Type: Cat litter deodorizer pods.
Ingredients: Water, Sodium Stearate, Fragrance, Glyceryl Stearate, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Bicarbonate.
- 6 pods, each pod is around 1 oz. and lasts 6-7 days.
- Fresh Linen or Ocean Breeze Scent.
- Convenient and effective litter box odor control pods with pet-friendly and effective natural ingredients. Same odor eliminating formula as found in the popular Citrus Magic Solid Odor Absorbers. Made in the US.
- Easy to use – simple remove and place securely in the litter box and cover with litter or on the unreachable side of the litter box. Need to keep out of reach of pets and children to prevent accidental ingestion.
- Each pod provides round-the-clock freshness for up to seven days. Works best for uncovered and semi-covered cat litter boxes with ample ventilation.
- Available in a pack size of 6 pods with two scents – Ocean Breeze or Fresh Linen.
- The manufacturer also offers the popular Citrus Magic Pet Odor Absorbing Solid Air Freshener for use around open pet areas.
Type: Cat litter deodorizer pods.
Ingredients: Timothy grass, Alfalfa Flower, Alfalfa Meal, Soya Oil with mixed tocopherols and Rosemary extract, Yucca Schidigera Plant Extract.
- 2 pods, each pod is around 1.6 oz. and lasts 20-30 days.
- Fresh Scent.
- Innovative litter box odor eliminator pods with pet-safe essential oils as active ingredients solidified in a paper-based ball freshener. Made in China for the US-based company.
- Innovative design that features adjustable air vents to control the amount of freshener released in the air. Each pod can provide round-the-clock sanitizing and odor control for up to 20-30 days.
- Easy to use – simply peel off the label, attach to the outer side of the clean and dry litter box and turn the pod cover to the desired air vent exposure. Comes with a 3M sticking pad to adhere to the surfaces.
- Works best for uncovered and semi-covered cat litter boxes with ample ventilation. Need to keep out of reach of pets and children to prevent accidental ingestion.
- Available in a pack size of 2 pods with a fresh ocean breeze scent. Considerably cheaper than other litter deodorizers.
- Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment. The manufacturer also offers other types of cat litter deodorizers – powder, granules, and spray.
Alternatives to using cat litter deodorizers
In addition to using a cat litter deodorizer, there are some other tips, tricks, and products that can help in minimizing the stinky litter box smell. You can even use a combination of these alternatives to get a full-proof odor control solution for your home.
- Add baking soda to the litter: As we saw above, baking soda is an active ingredient of many of the cat litter deodorizers. So, if you do not have the budget or inclination to use a cat litter deodorizer you can instead add baking soda to the litter to minimize odor. It is cheap, non-toxic and works reasonably well.
- Switch to an odor-control litter: Switching to a litter that has a superior odor control formula. Elsey’s Ultra Cat Litter is one such option. Another alternative is to use crystal litter such as PetSafe Scoopfree. Just make sure that you, other family members and most importantly your kitty are comfortable with this change of litter.
- Change the type of litter box: Covered litter boxes and automatic self-cleaning litter boxes can also help in reducing the spread of litter box odor around the house. If your kitty is comfortable with such a litter box and you have the budget, invest in such a cat litter box. These litter boxes will also help in reducing litter tracking around the house.
- Sift and replace the litter more frequently: The longer the urine and feces sit in the litter box, the more likely is the litter box going to smell. Scoop more frequently, preferably once or twice daily, and replace the litter at least once or twice a week. For multiple cats sharing a litter box, you should increase the frequency proportionally. It will also be a good idea to move the litter box to a better-ventilated area.
- Replace the litter box every year: As your feline claws and scratches through the litter, chances are the walls of the litter box would develop some crannies and crevices. These can be breeding grounds for odor-causing bacteria. Clean the litter box thoroughly and if you notice any such damage, discard or donate the old litter box and replace it with a new one.
- Use litter box liners and litter waste disposal systems: Using suitable litter box liners (or disposable cat litter boxes as liners) and an odor-locking litter waste disposal system can also help in controlling the litter odor from spreading around the house. Adding a cat litter pad at the bottom of the litter box can also help in minimizing the litter odor by acting as an odor neutralizer and preventing clumping of soiled litter at the bottom of the box.
- Use a litter box enclosure with filters: Placing your kitty’s litter box in a litter box enclosure such as The Refined Feline Refined Litter Box which have a provision to attach activated-carbon filter sheets can also help in reducing the litter odors from escaping the litter box.
How to pick the best cat litter deodorizers to reduce litter box smell?
With a bunch of odor neutralizers available in the market, picking the best deodorizer for cat litter can sometimes be a challenge. After all, you would like to have a litter deodorizer that is easy to use, minimizes litter odor and makes your life convenient, not make it more difficult.
In addition to your budget, you need to keep a few factors in mind before picking the best cat litter box deodorizer for your kitty’s litter box. These key factors are listed below. And if you are ever in doubt, simply pick one of the top picks that we shared above. Just keep in mind that you might have to switch between a few different odor-control solutions before settling-in on the best option.:
- Type of cat litter deodorizer
- Ingredients and formulation
- Effectiveness and dosage
- Size and packing
- Warranty and support
Type of cat litter deodorizer
Before you pick the best cat litter deodorizer, you need to decide upon the type you should opt for.
As discussed above, cat litter deodorizers and odor neutralizers are available in four or five different categories, each with their own advantages and disadvantages.
Cat litter deodorizer powders are efficient, cheap and extremely easy to use. They are available in scented and unscented versions, but they are not dust-free and can also be tracked around the house by the kitty.
Cat litter deodorizer granules are also reasonably effective, do not track much and you only need a small amount per litter change in most cases. They are, however, costlier than the deodorizer powders.
Cat litter deodorizer sprays are more versatile odor neutralizers – they can be used to sanitize as well as eliminate the odor. They are also useful for general odor removal around the house and available in scented and unscented versions. But because of their liquid form and quick evaporation, you would need to use them more frequently on the litter box.
Cat litter deodorizer beads and pods are innovative odor neutralizer products, somewhat similar to toilet and room air freshener pods with a concentrated proportion of neutralizing agents. These are very convenient to use as they provide round-the-clock odor control and last for one week to one month. However, because of their concentrated size, you need to ensure that the pet or a child does not accidentally ingest the pieces.
Based on the key characteristics you can pick the best deodorizer for cat litter, keeping the following key considerations in mind:
- The number of litter boxes and cats: If you have multiple cats, you are probably better off using a more effective odor control solution like powders or granules and mix with the dry litter while changing it. Then sprinkle additional amounts on trouble spots as and when required.
- Type of litter: Depending upon the type of litter favored, you need to pick a deodorizer that is compatible with the litter. Certain biotic deodorizers such as the Litterbiotic All-Natural Cat Litter Deodorizer do not work well with antibiotic litters.
- Cat behavior and preferences: Your kitty’s behavior and preferences is a very important factor before selecting the best type of cat litter deodorizer. If the cat likes to kick the litter around, then granules would be a better choice than powder deodorizers. Similarly, if your feline is inquisitive about things and likes to chew around, then you should stay away from bead and pod deodorizers. Finally, some cats are more averse to litter odors than others, so you cannot pick a scented litter deodorizer for such pets.
- Human sensitivities: Just like your cat’s preferences, your personal preferences and/or aversions to certain smells and allergies, etc. are also a consideration to keep in mind while picking the best cat litter deodorizer.
To summarize, keep your and your kitty’s needs and preference in mind before deciding upon the best type of cat litter deodorizer that you should opt for. You can always pick a couple of types of solutions for different situations and times.
Ingredients and formulation
Once you have decided upon the type of cat litter deodorizer you are looking for, you need to take the ingredients and formulation of the product into account. After all, such an odor control solution must be safe for humans and pets alike, have a human and cat-bearable smell and be effective to use with your kitty’s litter box.
All the deodorizers that we have listed are made of one or more of the most popular deodorizing products – baking soda, calcium carbonate, zeolite, borax or enzymatic probiotics. All these products are safe to use around pets and humans.
All the options that we listed are also suitable for households with multiple pets with both cats and dogs.
Our list has both odor-rich and odorless deodorizers, as indicated in the product details. We have taken care to list only those scented deodorizers which have a light and bearable, cat and human-friendly odor. Still, the preference of odor varies from person to person and feline to feline, so keep the odor of the deodorizer also in mind before picking the best cat litter deodorizer for your home.
The formulation of the deodorizer also governs its suitability for the different types of litter. You can generally get a good idea about this from the product feedback, reviews, and Q&A section.
Check the ingredients, odor, and suitability of the deodorizer for different types of litter and surfaces before picking the best cat litter deodorizer for your needs.
Effectiveness and dosage
The effectiveness of the deodorizer and its periodic dosage is also something worth checking out, especially if you have a major stink problem or have multiple cats sharing the litter boxes.
The effectiveness of the repellents is a subjective matter and can vary based on the type of deodorizer, cat’s breed, size, age, and littering traits. Still, some cat litter deodorizers are more effective than others.
Our top picks – Arm & Hammer Multiple Cat Litter Deodorizer among deodorizer powders, NonScents Cat Litter Deodorizer among deodorizer granules, and Rocco & Roxie Professional Strength Stain & Odor Eliminator Spray among deodorizer sprays are probably the most effective odor control solutions in the market.
Check the product reviews, feedback, and Q&A section to get an idea about the effectiveness and dosage before zeroing in on the best cat litter deodorizer for your needs. Just remember that you may have to switch between a few options before finding one that would work for your pet or pets.
Size and packing
The size and quality of the packaging is also something to take into consideration before picking the best cat litter deodorizer for your requirements.
Depending upon the amount you need per application, you would probably like to get a deodorizer that is available in a container size that can last the whole month or longer. Anything smaller can become a hassle especially if you have multiple cats. Furthermore, the larger the number of deodorizer containers per package, the cheaper they would be.
While the actual amount you would need per application varies by the type of deodorizer, the options that we listed are available in varied sizes from 3.5 ounces to 30 ounces for powders and granules and 32 fl. oz. for sprays, so you can pick the right size as per your primary requirement.
Some cat litter deodorizers are also offered through Amazon’s Pet Subscription program for regular shipment and some additional savings.
Check the maximum applications a deodorizer container offers before picking the best one for your needs. Also, ensure that the manufacturer offers a leak and moisture-proof packing that can be easily resealed for multiple uses.
Warranty and support
In addition to the major factors discussed above, the warranty and post-purchase support is also something that can make a purchase more attractive than the others.
Since the effectiveness of the cat litter deodorizer is sometimes subjective and driven by a lot of factors and preferences, an option that is made in the US and backed by a satisfaction guaranteed or money back commitment is definitely something that would be preferable.
Most of the options that we listed are thankfully backed by a hassle-free satisfaction guaranteed commitment, so you can pick them without a lot of concern. Just make sure you make your purchase only from authorized resellers.
Keep these other considerations in mind while picking the best deodorizer for cat litter. And if you are in doubt, pick one from our top suggestions. In most cases, you would find them safe, convenient and effective!
Final thoughts on the best cat litter deodorizers
If you are a proud parent of one or more kitties that chances are you would have researched for ways to minimize that catty smell in your home. Switching litters, using covered litter boxes and sifting more frequently are some of the ways that can help.
Another product that can help in reducing the litter box odor is a cat litter deodorizer. But picking the best cat litter deodorizer that will work perfectly for you, your kitty and your kitty’s litter box can often be a challenge.
In this article, we looked at some of the best deodorizers for cat litter available in the market. We looked at the major characteristics of these odor-control solutions, the advantages of using them, the factors to consider before picking the best cat litter deodorizer and also shared our top picks. We also shared some alternatives to these smell-reducing products.
We hope that you found this article useful and it would help you in picking the best cat litter deodorizer as per your requirements and preferences. Do let us know your feedback and questions by commenting below. Until next time, have a playful spell with your darling kitty!
Image credits: Amazon.com