It is a well-established fact that cats are very particular about the place they have to do their business. Cat owners typically rely on cat litter boxes as a standard solution for this purpose.
In our earlier article on the best standard litter boxes for cats, we looked at some of the best standard covered and uncovered litter boxes available in the market. One of the major challenges with standard litter boxes is that you need to scoop and sift the litter periodically to ensure that there is no feces and odor built up.
But what if you are looking for a litter box that you can simply use as a maintenance-free litter pan or a litter box liner and discard after usage? Or something for housebreaking a new kitty or using during a travel trip? Surely, you cannot always get a standard litter box for this purpose!
In this article, we will look at some of the best disposable cat litter boxes available on Amazon. These disposable litter boxes are a perfect solution for cat owners who are looking for a use-and-throw litter pan or are looking for an inexpensive litter box for temporary relocation or travel.
We will also list out the major factors to consider while picking the best disposable cat litter box for your needs and share our top picks.
Do check out our article on the best self-cleaning cat litter boxes for an alternative easy maintenance, and in many cases better-suited, cat litter management solution.
Best disposable cat litter boxes ListSome of the best disposable cat litter boxes available in the market are listed below:
|Nature's Miracle Disposable Litter Box||S: 12.5" x 10.1" x 3.1"|
M: 17.1" x 12.6" x 6.4"
J: 21" x 15.3" x 7.8"
|Kitty's Wonderbox Disposable Litter Box||13.5" x 17" x 3.5"|
|Kitty Sift Disposable Sifting Litter Box||Large: 14" x 18" x 8.5".|
Jumbo: 18" x 20.5" x 10.5".
|Easyology Large Disposable Cat Litter Boxes||17.5" x 15.5" x 5.5"|
|Cats Desire Disposable Litter Boxes||18.0" x 14.0" x 19.0"|
|LitterMaid P-70000 Disposable Litter Box||17.1" x 12.4" x 6.2"|
|Ace Innovations Ten Second Travel Litter Boxes||18.0" x 12.0" x 6.0"|
|Pet Zone odorLESS Disposable Litter Box||17.5" x 12.8" x 6"|
|Kitty Kan Enclosed Disposable Travel Litter Box||16" x 13.5" x 16/19"|
|PetSafe Enclosed Disposable Litter Box||16.0" x 12.0" x 14.4"|
|Felix and Fido Pre-filled Disposable Cat Litter Boxes||18.0" x 12.0" x 3.0"|
What is a disposable cat litter box and why do you need one?
As the name suggests, disposable cat litter boxes are a use-and-discard type of litter boxes which do not require frequent scooping and can be used for anywhere from one to four weeks and simply disposed-off after that.
Most disposable litter boxes are made of biodegradable and landfill friendly recyclable materials – typically paper and cardboard. Some high-quality litter boxes even have odor-prevention coating to minimize the smell. Such litter boxes can take any type of standard litter, some even come pre-filled with biodegradable paper-pellet litter.
Just like the standard cat litter boxes, the disposable litter boxes are available in covered and uncovered/enclosed designs. They are also available in multiple sizes, so you can pick one suitable for your kitten or cat breed. Some of these litter boxes come pre-filled with litter as well.
Disposable litter boxes are useful in many situations and can serve quite a few purposes as summarized below:
- Standalone litter boxes in the house: Disposable litter boxes can be used as standalone use-and-throw cat litter pans. They can simply be discarded after their lifetime and do not require a lot of sifting, scooping or frequent replacement of litter.
- Litter box liner: Disposable cat litter boxes make excellent litter box liners and provide additional protection and odor control inside a standard litter box. This is especially useful if you have a young kitten or an elderly cat. Using disposable litter boxes as liners helps in keeping the litter dry and extend its life. And they can withstand some serious clawing by your cat.
- Travel or temporary relocation: Some disposable cat litter boxes are designed to be portable (they collapse to a packable size) and hence can be used as travel litter pans or for temporary relocation.
- Housebreaking or backup litter box: If you have a new feline in home or a fussy cat that is sick or not comfortable with sharing its litter box with other pets in the home, then you can use disposable cat litter boxes as a backup or temporary solution until the cat is re-engaged with the standard litter box.
As you can see from the discussion above, disposable cat litter boxes can serve a bunch of purposes. In the next sections, we will look at some of the best disposable cat litter boxes available in the market and share our top picks.
Which are the best disposable cat litter boxes?
Nature’s Miracle Disposable Litter Box review – Editor’s pick for the best disposable cat litter box (uncovered)
Size: Small: 12.5″ x 10.1″ x 3.1″ ; Medium: 17.1″ x 12.6″ x 6.4″ ; Jumbo: 21″ x 15.3″ x 7.8″
Life: Up to 4 weeks.
- Best-selling standard uncovered litter pan that is made in the US of high-grade 100% recycled paper material. Biodegradable and 100% landfill safe.
- Heavy-duty construction that is leak-proof and waterproof. One of the strongest disposable cat litter box in the market.
- Baking soda coating on the interior aims to minimize ammonia and other unpleasant litter box odors.
- Breathable wall material enhances airflow and helps in keeping the litter dry and minimizes odor buildup.
- Available in three sizes, small for kittens and small cats, medium for medium cat breeds and jumbo for large cats and multiple cat homes. Comes in a set of 2, 3, 6 or 12 individual trays.
- Works with almost all types of litter from pine pellets, crystal litter to standard non-clumping litter. For use without a plastic litter liner.
Nature’s Miracle is an established brand (of the Spectrum Products Umbrella that also owns LitterMaid and Tetra brands) for cat litter solutions and their disposable cat litter box is one of their most popular product.
The best-selling Nature’s Miracle Disposable Litter Box is a standard uncovered litter pan that can be used as a standalone litter box or as a litter box liner. It is especially useful if you have a clawing cat that loves to shred the plastic litter box liners, leaving you to deal with a lot of mess and a dirty litter box.
The Nature’s Miracle Disposable Litter Box is made in the US with high-grade, 100% recycled paper. It is one of the strongest disposable cat litter box in the market with its heavy-duty leak-proof and water-proof construction. And if you are concerned about its environmental friendliness, it is fully biodegradable and landfills safe.
The naturally breathable paper walls provide ample airflow to the litter in the pan and help in keeping it dry and odor-free. And that is not all! To further minimize the build-up of ammonia and other unpleasant litter odors, the litter box has baking soda mixed with the wall material.
One litter box can last up to 4 weeks per cat, making it one of the best choices for use as a litter box solution for cat owners who do not want to sift or scoop the litter. Simply discard the litter box in 3-4 weeks and set up a new one.
The Nature’s Miracle Disposable Litter Box is available in three sizes for all types of kittens and cats. It works with all litter types – from pine pellets, paper pellets, and crystal litter to standard clumping and non-clumping litter. You just have to make sure it is not over-filled with litter.
The Nature’s Miracle Disposable Litter Box is available as a single unit or a set of 2, 3, 6 or 12 trays. If you are going to use it as a primary litter box, then we recommend getting the 6 or 12-tray set.
Kitty Kan Enclosed Disposable Travel Litter Box review – Editor’s pick for the best disposable cat litter box (covered)
Size: 16″ x 13.5″ x 16/19″
Life: Up to 2 weeks.
- High-quality covered disposable cat litter box, made in the US with 100% recycled cardboard. Biodegradable and landfill safe.
- Sturdy construction, with a large interior space and a 7-inch opening for the cat to enter the box.
- The interior is coated with a special FDA-approved 100% natural liner that makes it waterproof and odor resistant.
- Extremely portable and easy to assemble and dispose of.
- Comes with 4 disposable scoops and 1 bonus cat bed with soft cardboard rolls for cats to sleep on.
- Available with or without litter.
Planning a long cross-country road trip with your kitty? Or relocating to a new place and need a covered litter solution? Then the Kitty Kan Enclosed Disposable Travel Litter Box is the best option to check out, especially if your cat is comfortable with a covered litter tray.
The Kitty Kan Enclosed Disposable Travel Litter Box is made in the US with recycled cardboard which is both sturdy and biodegradable. The interior of the litter box is coated with a special FDA-approved 100% natural liner that makes it waterproof and odor resistant.
The Kitty Kan travel litter box has a large overall size and has a 7-inch diameter opening for even the biggest cats to enter the litter box comfortably. When enclosed the overall height of the litter box increases from 16-inches to 19-inches.Its large size and slightly better construction made it beat out the nearest competition by PetSafe, which undoubtedly has a better quality, crystal litter available with it.
The Kitty Kan litter box is extremely portable and easy to assemble. The litter box is self-contained in its own box and can be collapsed for easy storage. It is built to be disassembled and re-assembled multiple times, but resetting it more than 3-4 times may make the cardboard weak and collapsing.
The Kitty Kan disposable travel litter box comes with 4 disposable scoops to make scooping and sifting easy. And to make the purchase better, an actually usable cat bed with soft cardboard rolls has been added as a bonus. The litter box is available with or without litter.
Size: 13.5″ x 17″ x 3.5″
Life: Up to 4 weeks.
- Popular, uncovered disposable cat litter pan made with 100% biodegradable, recycled paper. Landfill safe.
- Sturdy construction with dense recycled paper fibers. Does not leak easily.
- Breathable surface helps in keeping the litter in the litter box drier and odor free.
- Comes in a set of 1 or 3 litter pans. Also available in small and jumbo sizes as SmallWonder and JumboWonder products.
If you are looking for a budget disposable cat litter box for use as a litter box liner or an independent litter box, then you can consider the Kitty’s WonderBox Disposable Litter Box. This litter box is pretty close to our favorite Nature’s Miracle litter box and slightly cheaper.
The Kitty’s WonderBox Disposable Litter Box is the medium-sized model of the family with larger JumboWonder and smaller SmallWonder products also available for large or small cats and kittens.
Like other disposable cat litter boxes, the Kitty’s WonderBox is made in the US with 100% recycled paper material. Though not as strong as the Nature’s Miracle litter box, it is still pretty sturdy and does not leak easily – it can also last a full four weeks. And it can survive some abuse by your feline, so works very well as a strong cat litter box liner.
The Kitty’s WonderBox has a breathable surface that keeps the litter drier and reduces odor build-up. And it is available in a set of 1 or 3 litter pans.
Size: Large: 14 x 18 x 8.5; Jumbo: 18″ x 20.5″ x 10.5″.
Life: Up to 1-4 weeks.
- Innovative, sifting disposable cat litter box set with low-scoop sifting design and elevated shield. Made of biodegradable and recycled cardboard material.
- Features a sifting litter box, three liners and an adjustable shield. The litter box interior is coated with a water-resistant coating to prevent leaks.
- Clean and healthy to use and reduces odor, keeps litter drier and fresher for a long time
- Easy to assemble and discard. Can be used as a litter box liner or a standalone litter box.
- Works with all litter types, though works best with non-clumping litter.
- Available in two sizes Large and Jumbo, compatible with most litter boxes.
- The manufacturer also offers a litter box and litter combo with disposable cat litter boxes and probiotic litter.
Size: 17.5″ x 15.5″ x 5.5″
Life: Up to 4 weeks.
- Large-sized disposable litter box made with 100% biodegradable recycled paper. Waterproof and leak-proof.
- The litter box surface has a coating of baking soda to provide extra protection against ammonia odors and other smells.
- Long lasting and can last for 3-4 weeks even for the messiest cats.
- Tall/deep side-walls helps in reducing the chances of spills and accidents, especially if the cat urinates standing up.
- Available in a set of 3 or 5 litter boxes.
Size: 18.0″ x 14.0″ x 19.0″
Life: Up to 4 weeks.
- Unique disposable litter boxes with a patented design to be set as 10 open litter pan (9.5-inches tall) or 5 covered/enclosed litter boxes (19-inches tall).
- Made of biodegradable material. The interior features a moisture-resistant surface to prevent seepage.
- Low profile entrance that works well for kittens and elderly cats.
- Extremely portable-folds up flat and can be assembled quickly without hassle. Perfect for travel.
Size: 17.1″ x 12.4″ x 6.2″
Life: Up to 2 weeks.
- Budget, uncovered litter pans, made of biodegradable, recycled paper.
- Features a moisture-resistant interior with an odor-resistant coating to minimize the smell.
- Elevated side-walls makes it suitable for all cat breeds.
- Designed to be used without liners. Works with all litter types.
- Available in a pack of 3. Larger-sized disposable litter pans are also available from the same manufacturer.
Size: 18.0″ x 12.0″ x 6.0″
Life: Up to 1 week.
- Travel cardboard litter box set with ten portable, travel litter boxes. Made of biodegradable and recycled material.
- The litter box interior is coated with a water-resistant coating to prevent leaks.
- Easy to assemble and discard. Self-contained and can be setup easily and folded for disposal. No sifting required.
- Works with all litter types, though works best with non-clumping litter.
- The manufacturer also offers a cottage litter box set with two covered cat cottages and ten disposable cat litter boxes.
Size: 17.5″ x 12.8″ x 6″
Life: Up to 4 weeks.
- Sturdy, standard uncovered litter pan that is made of 100% recycled paper-based material. Fully biodegradable and leak-proof.
- Uniquely designed with a slightly elevated backside to prevent spillages.
- Features a patented OdorLESS technology with carbon zeolite blended with the litter box to trap odors.
- Available in a pack of one box or 3 litter boxes.
- Works will almost all litter types.
Size: 16.0″ x 12.0″ x 14.4″
Life: Up to 2 weeks.
- High-end, covered disposable cat litter box from the worldwide leader in litter box technology.
- Made of biodegradable and environment-friendly cardboard material, the litter box features a leak-proof coating.
- Compact and portable wherein the whole box can nest in the lid for extra protection. Perfect for travel. Simple to setup and dispose.
- Features an elevated entrance and a covered privacy hood that helps in reducing litter tracking
- Available with or without the ScoopFree crystal litter included with the litter box. Comes with eight disposable scoops for extra convenience while handling litter.
Size: 18.0″ x 12.0″ x 3.0″
Life: Up to 1 week with the litter.
- Disposable litter trays pre-filled with 100% chemical-free recycled paper litter. To use, simply peel-off the litter cover and then use it.
- Both the litter tray and pellet litter are fully biodegradable and landfill safe.
- The paper-based litter pellets are non-tracking and super-absorbent.
- Because of shorter side-walls and small standard size, suitable only for kittens and small cat breeds.
- Comes in a set of 5 litter trays.
Litter for Disposable cat litter boxes
While you do not need any special litter for disposable cat litter boxes, you are better off opting for litter that is septic-safe and fully biodegradable. Some disposable cat litter boxes do come pre-filled with litter or have specific recommendations.
Some of the best natural, biodegradable cat litter options to consider are:
- Purina Yesterday’s News Unscented Paper Cat Litter: Best-selling newspaper-based litter with non-abrasive big pellets that are 99.9% dust-free. Formulated to absorb three times the moisture by volume when compared to clay-based litter. Also available on Chewy.
- sWheat Scoop All-Natural Cat Litter: 100%-biodegradable, all-natural cat litter made from naturally renewable wheat. The natural wheat enzymes neutralize odor on contact, and wheat starches clump firmly for easy scooping. Also available on Chewy.
- ökocat Super Soft Natural Wood Clumping Litter: Biodegradable litter made from 100% sustainable and renewable wood fiber found in nature. Fast clumping with advanced clean wood fiber litter that naturally blocks the creation of ammonia odor for up to 7 days. Also available on Chewy.
- Rufus & Coco Wee Kitty Clumping Corn Cat Litter: Mulchable and flushable litter made from biodegradable corn. Clumps quickly and absorbs 4 times the liquid of its own weight. Easy to pick up and lightweight. Also available on Chewy.
How to pick the best disposable cat litter boxes?
Though disposable cat litter box is a relatively new product line in the market, with so many recently launched models, picking the best disposable cat litter box for your kitty can be a challenging task.
Worry not! Simply consider the following major factors before picking the best disposable cat litter box for your travel or household needs. And if you are ever in doubt, simply pick one of the recommendations we shared above:
- Purpose of the litter box
- Building material of the litter box
- Type and size of the litter box
- Lifespan of the litter box
- Additional features and considerations
Purpose of the litter box
Before picking the best disposable cat litter box for your needs, you would have to think about the primary purpose for which you are looking for such a litter solution.
Do you need a litter solution as a replacement for the standard litter box? If this is your primary reason, then go for long-lifetime, recycled-paper based litter pans. Prefer models such as the best-selling Nature’s Miracle Disposable Litter Box which have breathable walls and baking soda mixed in the surface to keep the litter dry and the litter box odor-free.
Do you need a litter box to act as a litter liner for a kitten, elderly or a messy cat? In such cases as well, the inexpensive, open, disposable litter trays are most suitable.
Do you need a litter box for travel or housebreaking? If you are looking for a litter box specifically for travel, then you need a portable cardboard box-type litter box that is compact and self-contained. Pick something that can be assembled quickly and packed back into its case. Kitty Kan Enclosed Disposable Travel Litter Box is an example of such a litter box.
So depending upon your primary purpose, you can pick decide upon the best type of disposable litter pan for your needs.
Building material of the litter box
The construction material of the litter box is also an important criterion to consider before picking the best disposable cat litter box.
Disposable litter boxes are generally made of 100% recycled paper Mache-type of material or recycled cardboard. Both of these materials are fully biodegradable and landfill-safe.
Paper-based litter boxes have breathable surfaces and are coated with leak-proof material on the interiors. Some of them are even blended with baking soda or carbon zeolite to absorb ammonia and other litter box odors. These litter boxes are, however, non-collapsible.
Cardboard-based disposable litter boxes are more compact and portable. They generally have a wax-based or other waterproof coating on the inside. They are also available as covered litter boxes and work extremely well as travel or vacation cat litter boxes.
Check out the building material of the litter boxes before picking the best disposable litter box set for your needs.
Type & size of the disposable litter box
As is the case with standard litter boxes, the type of litter box is an important factor. Some cats prefer open, uncovered litter boxes while others look for privacy and are more comfortable with closed litter boxes. In fact, disposable litter boxes are a perfect way to test out the preferences of a new cat. After all, they are generally cheaper than the standard litter boxes in the short term!
In addition to the type of litter box, its overall size is also something to check out.
For uncovered litter box, the size of the litter box can be defined by the dimensions of the litter surface and its height. The general rule is to have a litter box 1.5-2 times the size of your feline. And if you have multiple cats, pick a litter box that can fit in 2 cats at a time.
For covered litter pans, the height of the enclosure also plays a role as you would not want your cat to have to crouch in the litter box while relieving itself. This is also the main reason why many cats do not prefer covered or hooded litter boxes.
If you are going to use the disposable litter box as a liner, make sure it fits the standard litter box perfectly, otherwise, you may end up having a bigger mess to handle.
Some manufacturers offer disposable litter box in multiple sizes, so you can pick the one that would fit your kitty or multiple felines the best.
Lifespan of the litter box
Disposable litter boxes have a lifespan of one to as long as four weeks. However, the actual life of a disposable litter box varies considerably on the basis of the littering habits of the cat and the number of cats. The more a litter box is used, the lesser would be its active life.
The heavy-duty Nature’s Miracle Disposable Litter Box is our favorite as it actually lasts 3-4 weeks per single cat use, because of its superior design and build.
You can always check out the reviews and Q&A section of the product for experiences of other cat owners before picking the best disposable cat litter box for your feline companion.
Additional features and considerations
In addition to the major factors discussed above, there are a couple of other considerations that can make a purchase more attractive than the others.
One such factor is the accessories that come with the disposable litter box. While most standard disposable litter boxes do not come with any accessories, some covered travel litter boxes come with useful items such as disposable scoops. Our favorite, the Kitty Kan Enclosed Travel Disposable Litter Box, even comes with a bonus travel cat bed.
The second factor to look for is the set of litter pans you can buy together. Most of the models we listed come in various sets – ranging from 1 litter box to 12 litter boxes per set. If you are looking for disposable litter boxes as a regular litter solution, you are better off getting the bulk order to save some additional money.
Disposable litter boxes are also available with or without the litter. Pre-filled litter boxes such as the Felix and Fido Pre-filled Disposable Cat Litter Boxes are especially convenient as you can simply peel-off the perforated cover and use it as a standard litter box.
Keep these other considerations in mind while picking the best disposable cat litter box for your needs. And if you are in doubt, pick one from our top suggestions. You would not regret it!
Final thoughts on the best disposable cat litter boxes
Cat litter boxes are an essential item to get for any cat owners. There are different types and categories of cat litter boxes available in the market and we have covered a couple of them in our previous articles on the best standard litter boxes for cats and the best self-cleaning cat litter boxes
In this article, we looked at another category of cat litter boxes – the disposable cat litter boxes. We looked at the major advantages of such types of cat litter boxes, the factors to consider while picking such litter solutions and shared our picks for the best disposable cat litter boxes.
We hope that you found this article useful and it would help you in picking the best disposable cat litter box as per your requirements and preferences. Do let us know your feedback and questions by commenting below. Until next time, have a playful time with your beloved feline!