Betta, or the Siamese fighting fish, is one of the most popular fish to have as a pet, and for good reasons. This vibrant colored fish with a uniquely shaped tail (veil, crown, comb, feather etc.) and an active lifestyle is the perfect pet for an aquatic hobbyist because of its beauty, activeness and low cost of care and maintenance.
But Bettas are also known for their aggressive behavior (after all, the term betta has been derived from Bettah, the local name for a clan of warriors). They are generally loners and have to be kept alone in the tank.
So which are the best betta fish tanks and aquarium kits to buy for your pet fish?
In this article, we look at answering this question by listing out some of the best best fish tanks available in the market. While some of the low-capacity options listed in our best fish tanks article would also work, we will look at specific options that would work best for the upkeep of a standard betta fish.
If cleaning the fish tank is something you hate, then you should look at getting yourself a self-cleaning fish tank.
And if you do not have enough space for a full blown fish tank, why not consider getting a wall-mounted fish tank?
Best Betta fish tank and aquarium kits listSome of the best betta fish tanks for a single betta fish are listed below:
|MarineLand Contour Glass Aquarium Kit||3.0 gallon||- A smartly designed aquarium with a curved all-glass betta tank with a smoothened surface.|
- Features dual mode LED lights with blue and white lights creating a daylight combination and blue lights creating a serene moonlight illumination.
- Comes with a three-stage hidden filtration system that provides mechanical, chemical and biological filtration. Has a super-quiet pump with adjustable flow.
- Features a stable low-profile base and a sliding glass cover for easy access to the tank.
- Can be shipped to selected countries outside the US.
- Backed by a two-year limited warranty.
|Tetra 29095 Cube Aquarium Kit||3.0 gallon||- A budget, contemporary looking desktop aquarium with a high-quality, scratch-resistant plastic tank and a stable base.|
- Comes with an external LED light fixture for illumination.
- Features a standard carbon 3i activated filtration system and a quiet air-circulation pump.
|Fluval Spec III Aquarium Kit||2.6 gallon.|
Other sizes available.
|- A contemporary-looking, tall-boy, rectangular glass betta tank with aluminum trims.|
- Features a set of 31 single-color LED lamps in the canopy to provide a clear, bright light to the aquarium.
- Comes with a 3-stage filtration system supported by an adjustable circulation pump. The pump and filtration system are located in a separate chamber for easy maintenance.
- Can be shipped to selected countries outside the US.
- Backed by a two-year limited warranty.
|EcoQubeC Aquarium||2.0 gallon||- Small, compact aquaponics aquarium system with a unique, yet compact acrylic fish tank. In this system, fish release nutrient right waste which is used by plants to grow-up and filter the water.|
- All-inclusive kit - comes with an Integrated aquaponics filter, aquarium Sand, mountain stone decoration, wireless remote Control for light control, Full Spectrum LED Hue Lights, and Basil Seeds
- Backed by a one-year warranty.
- Being a startup, there can be about 2-3 weeks of shipping delay.
|Back to the Roots Water Garden||3.0 gallon||- Made in the US, aquaponics water garden with a clear plastic tank that works as a decorative water garden with a fish tank for betta fish.|
- The package includes organic seeds, grow stones and organic fertilizer for plants, some gravel, along with fish food sample and water pump for fish.
- Does not require a water filter. Fish release nutrient right waste which is used by plants to grow-up and filter the water.
- Does not include a place to install the heater.
|Penn Plax Vertex Aquarium Kit||2.7 gallon||- Popular low-capacity aquarium having a curved glass betta tank and frameless design for unobstructed viewing. Has a hinged plastic lid for easy feeding and cleaning.|
- The aquarium kit comes with a clip-on multi-stage Cascade water filter with an adjustable flow pump.
- The kit also comes with a digital thermometer and a soft-mesh fish net.
- LED Lighting system is not included with the kit.
- Also works well with shrimps and small aquatic frogs.
- Backed by a six-month manufacturer warranty.
|Marina Betta Aquarium Kit||1.77 gallon||- Basic betta-fish starter aquarium with a unique curved, plastic fish tank and a plastic, pet-safe lid.|
- Does not come with a filter or LED lighting system.
- Comes with two double-sided decorative background themes.
|KollerCraft API Betta Kit Fish Tank||3.0 gallon||- Globe shaped betta fish aquarium with a plastic tank.|
- Features a vibrant LED light unit that can run on two AA-batteries or power supply. The LED light unit can produce 7 vibrant colors.
- The aquarium comes with a free sample of API Betta Food & API Stress coat.
- Water filtration system is not included with the tank.
- Backed by a two-year limited warranty.
|Aqueon Betta Falls Kit||2.1 gallon||- A unique betta fish tank that is designed to house three separate betta fish.|
- Frosted panel with individual compartment lids keep the bettas separate.
- Cascading waterfall feature creates a continuous, adjustable flow of water. So, suitable for small betta fish which do not mind the water flow. Not suitable for fish with large fins.
- Uses the Aqueon QuietFlow power filtration to keep water clean. Also has a fill indicator to show the water level in the tank.
- A filter cartridge, food and water care samples are included in the kit as bonus.
|Aqueon BettaBow Desktop Fish Aquarium Kit||2.5 gallon||- A betta starter kit with an Aqueon Minibow 2.5 plastic tank and base.|
- Has a divider which can be used to create separation for multiple fish. However, some improvisation is necessary to prevent the fish from crossing over.
- Comes with LED lights that can be turned on and off to create a standard daylight illumination.
- Has a multi-stage filter that runs silently with an electric pump.
- The kit also includes Aqueon Fish food and water conditioner samples and a setup and care guide.
Characteristics of a suitable betta fish tank
Before we delve into the factors to consider before picking the best betta fish tanks or aquarium kits, let us summarize the major requirements for creating a thriving betta fish tank:
- Fish Tank Size: Contrary to popular belief that betta fish tank can thrive even in a small fish bowl or tank, you should consider getting a betta fish tank that is 2.5 gallons or more in size and almost always avoid ones which are less than 1.5 gallons for an adult betta fish. Remember the rule – A one-inch fish needs a one-gallon tank. So, a typical 2-inch betta can only flourish in a 2+ gallon fish tank.
- Water quality: The water in a betta fish tank should be free from ammonia and other toxins. This can be accomplished by using a water filter to clean the water.
- Water temperature: Since bettas are tropical fish, they thrive in water temperatures in the range of 74-78 degree Fahrenheit. To maintain the temperature, you may need a water heater for your betta fish aquarium. Check our Accessories section below for some options to consider.
- Lighting in the tank: The general consensus is that betta fish do like lighting in their tank but prefer a dark night-like environment to sleep. So betta fish tanks which have a LED lighting system to simulate this are excellent choices.
- Tank Décor: In order to provide an enriching experience, you can add some low light plants and activity items such as betta hammocks, logs and other decorations. You can also opt for plastic decorations as long as they do not harm the fins of your betta fish.
- Accessories: In addition, you would need accessories like aquarium thermometer and water testing kit to check the chemistry and condition of the ecosystem.
In the next sections we will list out some of the factors to consider before picking the best betta fish tank and share our top picks. We will also list some accessories that go well with the best betta fish aquariums that we listed.
How to pick the best betta fish tank or aquarium?
Picking the best betta fish tank or aquarium is very similar to picking any other low-capacity tank. In fact, some of the low-capacity options that we listed in our earlier article on aquarium starter kits would make excellent betta fish tanks. The major factors to consider while picking the best betta fish tank are summarized below:
- Construction material of the tank
- Shape and Size of the tank
- Pump and Filtration system of the aquarium
- LED Lighting in the tank
- Additional accessories and considerations
Construction Material of the tank
Just like other aquariums and fish tanks, betta fish tanks are made of one of the three materials – glass, acrylic, or plastic.
Glass is one of the most popular building material for fish tanks. Glass tanks are rigid, heavy and scratch-proof. Acrylic tanks are lighter and have better refractive index, but are generally less scratch-resistant than glass fish tanks. Plastic tanks are the cheapest and lightest option, but they are not as durable and can get scratched easily.
Because of the relatively small size of betta fish tanks, plastic tanks are quite popular as they are inexpensive and easy to move around. If you are a starter, you can opt for a small plastic tank and then upgrade to a bigger, better acrylic or glass betta fish tank once you get more adept at taking care of your betta.
Shape and Size of the tank
The size (and associated shape) of the fish tank is probably one of the most common points of discussion while picking the best betta fish tank.
While you can find some betta aquarium kits with a tank as small as 0.7 gallons, you should consider getting a tank which has a capacity of around 2 gallons. This would ensure that your beloved pet has comfortable space to move around. Stick to the one-inch-per-gallon rule – 1 gallon tank for 1-inch of fish.
The shape of the tank also matters in some cases as even a low capacity can provide a large surface area for the fish to move around. Moreover, decorating a flatbed tank is always easy. For these reasons, we recommend going with rectangular tanks as opposed to globe-shaped bowls.
Look at the shape and size of the fish tank before picking the best betta fish aquarium for your pet fish. Always try to get the biggest fish tank that you can afford and have place for.
Pump and Filtration system of the aquarium
Whether you need a filtration for your betta tank or not is often a contentious question? The fish-enthusiast community is widely divided on this. On one side filtration ensures that the fish has a decent, clear fresh water. On the other side, a filtration system can cause currents and agitate the fish.
As a bottom-line, you should consider having a betta fish tank with a filter if you are opting for size 2.5 gallon or more (unless you opt for an aquaponics setup). If the pump has adjustable flow, you can keep it in the lowest flow-rate setting. You can also improvise a little and regulate the flow by using a soft sponge or pantyhose.
LED Lighting in the tank
Bettas are tropical fish, so they love well-lit tanks. Most of the betta fish tanks that we listed have either an inbuilt hidden lighting system or a canopy-type LED lighting system which can be turned on and off through a switch. Some options such as the MarineLand Contour Glass Aquarium Kit. provide a combination of lighting – white LEDs to simulate sunlight and blue LEDs to simulate moonlight glow. Such aquariums are our favorites, though even in single lighting tanks, you can always opt for external lighting plates and surfaces as per your needs.
Additional factors and considerations
In addition to the four factors discussed above, there are a couple of other factors that can make a purchase more attractive than others.
One such factor is the accessories that come with the aquarium kit. Check out the accessories that come with the aquarium before picking the best option. Many aquarium kits come with food samples and coupons for purchasing betta fish at nearest options.
Another important factor to check out is the warranty and service support provided by the manufacturer. Most top brands such as Hagen (Fluval, Marina) and Tetra provide multi-year warranties with their products. A word of advice: to avail the full warranty support, always look for an authorized seller and register your aquarium kit with the manufacturer.
Keep these other small considerations in mind while picking the best betta fish tank for your fish.
Which are the best betta fish tanks and what our picks are?
MarineLand Contour Glass Aquarium Kit: Editor’s pick for the best betta fish tank
If you are looking for a starter aquarium kit that you can get to provide a decent, spacious environment for your betta fish, then you should consider the MarineLand Contour Glass Aquarium Kit.
This smartly designed aquarium features an all-glass tank with a smooth curved glass surface. Even the top lid of the tank is made from glass which can slide to the back of the tank for easy feeding and water care. The canopy also helps in maintaining the temperature within the aquarium. All this creates an excellent unobstructed viewing surface area for the aquarium.
The MarineLand Contour Aquarium comes with an efficient dual-mode LED light system which contains both blue and white LED lights. The white and blue lights can create a perfect sunlight illumination when turned on together. For a serene moonlight view, you can turn on only the blue LED lights. The LED light system has a separate power supply than the pump so it can be turned on and off without affecting the filtration process.
The filtration system in the aquarium kit is smartly concealed on the back side of the main tank. The filtration system provides a 3-stage filtering through the Rite Size Z filter Cartridge – mechanical, chemical and biological. The water flow is regulated by a quiet pump which allows you to adjust the water intake.
The MarineLand Contour Aquarium Filter can be shipped in selected countries outside the US and is backed by a two-year limited manufacturer warranty. Just remember to register your purchase with TetraCare to get full benefits.
The only drawback of this kit is that it does not come with a heater or other accessories, but you can get a cheap 10W heater to go with your tank.
Tetra 29095 Cube Aquarium Kit review: Smart value pick for the best betta fish tank
If you are looking for a decently sized betta fish tank and do not want to spend a lot of money, then you can consider our best value pick – the Tetra 29095 Cube Aquarium Kit.
The Tetra Cube Aquarium comes with a rectangular plastic fish tank with a stable pedestal base. It has a capacity of 3 gallons and a length and width of 10 inches and height of 10.5 inches, provides a panoramic view from each side. The tank is illuminated by a set of single-color White Lights that can be independently turned on and off and also set a timer switch. The lid of the tank features a convenient feeding hole and is also fully removable for water changes.
The Tetra Cube Aquarium now features a standard Tetra 3i filter with a Whisper Bio-Bag Small Cartridge (older models had a standard pump which was louder than current one) which provides a quiet, efficient filtration. Some people have complained about getting a defective filter, so make sure you check the filter soon after the purchase and contact customer service if you face any issues.
Like other Tetra products, the product needs to be registered to get warranty support and care.
Betta fish tank accessories
In addition to the standard aquarium items such as pebbles/gravel, LED lights and filters, there are a couple of items which are needed to make the life of your pet fish comfortable. For more information and guidelines, check out the Wikihow article on how to take care of betta fish.
Since betta fish are tropical fish, they are most comfortable in water temperatures of 74-78 degree Fahrenheit (anything below 72-degrees and above 80-degrees is generally too cold or too hot). So you would need to get an aquatic water heater to maintain the temperature. Any heater with an output of 7.5-15 Watts should be fit for a 2-5 gallon tank. In case you are looking for a heater, some of the popular options to consider are listed below:
Other common accessories to check out the decorations and toys that your beloved fish can interact with. Some of the popular options to check out are:
Final thoughts on the best betta fish tanks and aquarium kits
There are very few fish breeds that are as attractive, investigative and exciting to own as the tropical betta fish. And there are hardly any fish as temperamental as the betta fish. To ensure a healthy and comfortable environment for a betta fish you need a smart fish tank.
In this article, we looked at some of the best fish tanks and aquarium starter kits for keeping a betta fish. While you can keep such a fish in tanks with a capacity of less than 1.5-gallons, most of the options we listed have a capacity of 2-gallons or more as is recommended by experts. If you are looking for an even larger playground for your fish or are looking to maintain a colony of female betta fish, you can check out our earlier article on aquariums for 10-20 gallon options.
We hope that this article would help you in picking the best betta fish tank as per your requirements and preference. Do let us know your feedback and questions by commenting below.