Hamsters are excellent beginner family pets to have for children, teenagers and adults alike. Accompanied with charming looks and antics, these pocket pets are quiet, agile and fun to be around. With the proper information and know-how, they are relatively easy to care for. And the best way to get this information is to consult some basic hamster care books and guides.
In this article, we share some of the best hamster care books and training guides available in the market. Our selection includes books that are a perfect resource for all types of hamsters and cater to all audience groups – children, teenagers and adults.
Most of the options we share are also available in Kindle format as indicated in the list. We will also share some buying advice and additional online resources to check out for taking care of your beloved pet.
So, read on to find which are the best hamster care books and training guides.
Note: If you own a Kindle, consider signing up for Kindle Unlimited, which would give you unlimited access to a wide variety of audiobooks, including the best pet care guides. You can get a one-month, no-obligation free trial.
Best hamster care books listSome of the best hamster care books and training guides available in the market are listed below:
|The Hamster Handbook
|- Target Audience: Adults and Teenagers
- This book is part of the popular Barron's Pet Handbooks series and is authored by Patricia Bartlett.
- In 120 odd pages, the book covers all aspects of hamster care - housing, food, behavior and health. The book also covers the history of domestication of hamsters and information on all the popular pet breeds.
- The book is filled with 100% color photographs and illustrations, making it an interesting read.
- The current second edition was published in April, 2015.
|Hamsters - Animal Planet's Pet Care Library
|- Target Audience: Adults and Teenagers
- This comprehensive hamster care book is authored by Sue Fox and published by T.F.H Publications in collaboration with the Animal Planet.
- In 100+ pages, the book contains useful information and advice on housing, feeding, grooming and training hamsters.
- The book has over 60 colored photographs accompanied with helpful tips and trick sections.
- The current edition was published in September, 2006.
- A Kindle eBook edition of the book is also available now.
|Homemade for Hamsters
|- Target Audience: Children and Teenagers
- This DIY pet project guide is a must -have for young project owners. The book is authored by Carin Oliver and published by Firefly Books.
- In 90 odd pages, the book has over 20 do-it-yourself, fun-filled project ideas for interactive toys and exercising equipment for hamsters and other small pets.
- The content is well-supplemented by a mix of detailed drawings and photographs.
- The current edition was published in September, 2016.
|Hamster Care: The Essential Guide
|- Target Audience: Children and Teenagers
- This best-selling hamster care guide is a popular beginner resource for pet owners.
- Authored by Kate H. Pellham, the book covers excellent to-the-point information about owning a pet hamster in 40 short pages.
- The book covers know-how on the different types of pet hamsters you can own, how to ensure their proper upkeep and how to train them to be exciting pets.
- The current edition was published in April, 2015.
|Hamsterlopaedia: A Complete Guide
|- Target Audience: Adults
- This traditional popular book is authored by experienced experts Chris Logsdail and Peter Logsdail along with small animal vet expert Kate Hovers.
- In 174 detailed pages, the book covers every aspect of every aspect of hamster care and health - right from identifying the right breed, housing, day-to-day care and even breeding.
- Because of its early publishing in February 2004, some of the information may be slightly outdated. But it is still an essential reference.
|Hamsters for Dummies
|- Target Audience: Adults and Teenagers
- This Dummies-series hamster care guide is authored by popular small animal and equestrian book writer Sarah Montague.
- Written in the entertaining "For Dummies" format, in 90 odd pages, the book covers all aspects of hamster care right from selecting a hamster, its feeding, health care, housing and training.
- The book is filled with tips, tricks and cheat sheets along with black and white illustrations.
- The current first edition of the book was published in April, 2007.
|The Complete Hamster Care Guide
|- Target Audience: Adults
- This eBook is authored by Scott Stevens, based on his first-hand experiences with raising hamsters for years.
- In detailed 120 pages, the book presents complete information on the proper upkeep of hamsters as pets starting from picking the right breed to their diet and care throughout the lifetime.
- The current edition was published in February, 2012.
|How to Look After Your Hamster
|- Target Audience: Children
- This short and sweet illustration-rich hamster care book is authored by David Alderton.
- In 20 odd pages, the book provides useful information and guidance, from how to choose a hamster, to feeding and healthcare.
- This book is also useful for class projects and presentations.
- The current edition was published in January, 2014.
|Training Your Pet Hamster
|- Target Audience: Children, Teenagers and Adults
- This detailed hamster care guide is part of the Barron's Training Your Pet series and authored by Gerry Bucsis and Barbara Somerville.
- In 120 pages, the book gives useful information and advice on hamster care and training, nutrition and health care.
- The content is well supported by color photographs and illustrations.
- The current second edition was published in October 2012.
Top picks for hamster care books and training guides
If you are looking for a comprehensive hamster care guide that covers all aspects of owning a hamster a pet, then check out the Hamster Handbook. Authored by popular pet guides author Patricia Bartlett, this book is a part of the popular Barron’s Pet Handbooks series, which aims at providing detailed, easy-to-follow advice on how to take care of the pet hamster throughout its lifetime.
The book covers all the major aspects of hamster care, starting for picking the right breed, purchasing, housing, feeding and tips to keep the pet healthy throughout its lifetime. The book also includes advice on how to train the hamsters and keep them happy with appropriate toys and exercise accessories.
The information in the book is spread across 125 pages and divided into 9 chapters. The content is well-supported by colored illustrations
The second edition was published in April 2015 and has been totally revamped with the latest information and gear. The book is available in both paperback and Kindle editions, so you can pick the specific format as per your preference.
The Animal Planet’s Pet Care Library series is a popular collection of pet care guides which present original, hands-on content, supplemented by informative tips and colorful photographs and illustrations covering all aspects of pet care. And the Hamsters book in the series is no exception.
This comprehensive hamster care book is authored by Sue Fox and published by T.F.H Publications. In 110 pages, the book covers almost everything a pet owner needs to know to ensure a long and happy life. The book includes expert advice on housing, feeding, grooming, training and health care of hamsters throughout their lifetime. The information is well supported by over 60 full-color photographs and helpful tip boxes.
Targeted at adults, teenagers and even children who can read the books on their own, the current edition of the book was published in September, 2006. Though a little old, there is very little information in the book that can be considered out-of-date. Furthermore, a Kindle eBook edition of the book is also available now.
Expand the do-it-yourself (DIY) spirit in children and teenagers with the best-selling Homemade for Hamsters book. Accepted that this is not a traditional pet care guide, but the book is an excellent book for beginner pet owners. The book is authored by Carin Oliver and published by Firefly Books.
The Homemade for Hamsters book features 20 easy DIY projects for creating toys and exercise equipment for a hamster, using the materials and tools readily available in the home or a nearby craft shop. And the projects are excellent for other small animals – guinea pigs, small rabbits, gerbils, and pet rats and mice as well.
The book is divided into six sections, with the first section focuses exclusively on the materials and tools required while the next five subsequent sections are organized based on the activities that hamsters enjoy – running, climbing, digging, chewing, and resting.
Each project includes step-by-step instructions supported by detailed illustrations and photographs, making every project easy to make with minimal supervision.
The book is available in only the paperback format and the current edition was published in September, 2015.
Here is what some experts and pet publications have to say about this book:
- This is a must-have for young hamster owners.
– Catherine Coyne Youth Services Book Review
- “…It really is a must-have book for hamster and small rodent owners. The ideas are fun, clever and simple. Overall a very inviting book for kids and adults.”
– Lisa Taron, Pet Blog Lady
How to pick the best hamster care books and training guides?
Picking the best hamster care book is not much different from picking a training guide for other pets such as cats and dogs. The best hamster care guide is one which is filled with easy-to-follow information and to-the-point instructions on how to pick the best hamster and ensure its proper upkeep throughout the lifetime.
Just like any other pet training materials, no single book may be sufficient, and you may need a combination of resources – both online and offline to help you take care of your beloved pet.
Some of the major factors that you should consider before picking the best hamster care book or guide are listed below:
- Target audience and format of the book
- Popularity, reviews and ratings
- Publication year of the edition
Target audience and format of the book
Considering that hamsters are such popular starter pets for children and adults alike, the target audience and format of the book are probably the most important criteria to consider.
Some of the options that we have listed are written in an illustration-rich, interactive format that cater well to children and teenagers. Such books are typically less than 100 pages long and have a lot of navigational aids and tip-sections to support their content.
We have also listed some have detail-oriented hamster care guides which have a lot of in-depth information that would find more favor with the adult pet owners. A couple of titles, including our favorite – Hamster Care: The Essential Guide would find favor with beginner pet owners of all ages.
You can utilize the “Look Inside” feature on Amazon website to get a preview of the book or check for excerpts in Google online bookstore to determine if the presentation style is suitable for you.
Furthermore, if you prefer digital editions, then check if the book is available in Kindle format for easy access. Kindle editions are generally cheaper and also available with the Kindle Unlimited service.
Popularity, Reviews and Ratings
The popularity of the author, publisher, and book is often a great indicator of how the book would turn out to be.
Most of the books listed above have been written by authors and edited by publishers (such as Barron’s) with considerable experience in the field of pet care. But as one size does not fit all, you should look at the reviews, especially by other experts and authors in the field. Check out the reviews on Amazon and platforms such as GoodReads by other readers to determine its suitability.
Publication year of the edition
When it comes to hamster care, the publication year of the current edition is probably not as important as in the case of other pet training guides. After all, the basic factors and the underlying principles of hamster care have not changed over the years.
Still, considering the evolution of new types of habitats and pet gear over the past decade, you can check the publication year of the books and see that none of them are from the previous century. Books such as Hamsterlopaedia: A Complete Guide, though traditional masterpieces, do have some outdated information and hence may not find a lot of favor with teenagers or new pet owners.
Best Fiction books on Hamsters
Hamsters are not only popular as pets, they are also the protagonists of some of the best fiction story books for children. These books are excellent, fun-filled options to get for a kid who loves hamsters:
- According to Humphrey Book Series: The best-selling book collection authored by Betty G. Birney with 12 books that teaches kids about everyday things and human behavior, using a classroom hamster named “Humphrey” as a protagonist. Also available in a set of eight books or three books. A must buy for 6-12 year old hamster-loving kids.
- Hamster Princess Book Series: A collection of 6 timeless magical classics retold “the hamster way”. Authored by Ursula Vernon. A great choice for young girls who love magic and adventure.
- My Hamster is a …. (Stinky and Jinks) Book Series: A collection of 4 contemporary books filled with adventure, excitement and hamster hilarity. Authored by Dave Lowe.
- Memoirs of a Hamster: A popular book for pre-school kids that present the day-to-day diary of Seymour the hamster. Authored by Devin Scillian and filled with rich illustrations by Tim Bowers.
- Hot Rod Hamster: Another popular interactive read-aloud picture book for preschoolers, authored by award winning Cynthia Lord and NYT bestselling illustrator Derek Anderson.
In addition to the best hamster care guide listed above, there are some other excellent online resources that provide the latest information and tips and tricks for training and taking care of these small pets. Some of our favorites are listed below:
- Victoria Raechel’s YouTube Channel: The best online video resource for hamster care. Filled with excellent easy to follow videos, advice and tips for proper upkeep of pet hamsters and rabbits.
- The Humane Society of the United States – Hamster section: Another excellent resource with some useful information on how to take care of hamsters and other small animals.
- RSPCA Hamster Care Resources: A UK-based animal welfare-oriented portal with some decent pdf. Information sheets and care guides.
Also, check out the following beginner video on hamster care to get you started:
Final thoughts on the best hamster care books and training guides
Hamsters are perfect starter pet companions to have. Though nocturnal, they are agile, interesting and have a cute look that can charm even the most hard-headed human. And they have a widespread reputation of being easy to maintain and take care of. But one needs to be armed with the right information and understanding of how to take care of these small pets.
In this article, we looked at some of the best hamster care books and training guides available in the market. Written by the prominent experts in the field, these books provide invaluable information and tips and tricks on how to take care of these small pets. We also listed some additional resources and our top picks, based on the quality of all-round information that these resources provide. Just like any other pet training materials, no single book is sufficient, and you may need a combination of resources- websites and training guides for proper upkeep of these pets.
We hope that you found this article useful and it would help you in picking the best hamster care guide for yourself or your child. Do let us know your feedback by commenting below. Until next time, happy pet time!!