Obesity is a major issue with cats. As per the Association for Pet Obesity Prevention, about 59% of felines can be considered overweight by vet standards and about half of them are pure obese. Being overweight is not really a good thing and can lead to a bunch of health issues in cats. It can even reduce the life expectancy!
So, your cat has been asked to lose weight. What are some of the things you can do to help your cat lose weight?
In this article, we share some of the best toys and supplies to help your quirky fur-ball in getting some exercise and shed some weight. Together with food and dietary changes, these products would help you and your kitty in managing the weight a lot better and stay entertained, happy and mentally stimulated.
Read on to find out the best toys for fat cats that can help your cat lose weight.
Also check out our article on the best cat toys for indoor cats for additional interactive toys that can be useful in the process.
List of the best toys for fat catsSome of the best cat toys and products to help your cat lose weight are listed below:
|Go Pet Club Cat Tree Furniture||Cat Activity Tree|
|Catit Senses 2.0 Super Circuit||Interactive Track Chase Toy|
Size: 24” x 14.4” x 2.1”
|SmartyKat Crazy Cruisers Electronic Cat Toys||Electronic Chase Toys|
|Petty Love House Cat Activity Center||Cat Activity Center|
Size: 24” x 24” x 13”
|MOODY PET Fling-Ama-String Cat Toy||Electronic Fling Toy|
Size: 29.5” x 5” x 2.5”
|PetSafe FUNKitty Egg Cersizer||Interactive treat dispenser|
Size: 3” x 3.8” x 3”
|Doc & Phoebe's Indoor Hunting Cat Feeder||Interactive Slow Feeder|
Size: 2” x 7.7” x 9.4”
|GoCat Da Bird Cat Pole||Cat Teaser Wand|
36" wand, 32" string with a feather dangler.
|PetFusion Ambush Interactive Cat Toy||Interactive hunting cat toy disc with LED lights and a soft feather catch.|
|One Fast Cat Exercise Wheel||Cat Exercising Wheel|
Size: 34" x 12”; 48” wheel
Review of the best toys to help you cat lose weight
Type: Cat Activity Tree
- Material: Wooden tree frame with natural sisal rope cover. Faux fur steps
- Size: 38″ x 27″ x 62″.
- Weight: 42 lbs.
- Best-selling cat tree with multiple levels with platforms made for lounging. Made in China under Go Pet Club quality control.
- Features a traditional wooden frame that is covered in natural sisal rope to survive clawing by the kitty.
- Faux-fur surfaces and perches with a ladder, basket and a play rope. Promotes exercising and lounging.
- Easy to assemble and comes with the step-by-step instructions and included tools.
- Suitable for one or multiple cats and backed by a 30-day manufacturer warranty.
It is a well-established fact that a cat activity tree is an excellent tool to encourage exercising in cats and the Go Pet Club Cat Tree is the perfect option to start with, especially if you have more than one cats.
The Go Pet Club Cat Tree features a traditional wooden frame. All the posts are covered with natural sisal rope to survive some serious clawing by the cat. The tree has high-quality ply board surfaces and perches that are covered with faux fur to provide soft resting places. The tree is made in China under the Go Pet Club quality control measures.
The 62-inch tree has overall dimensions of 38” x 27” x 62″ and weighs a healthy 42 lbs. The tree is easy to assemble and comes with the step-by-step instructions and tools to assemble it. Once set up, the tree has a ladder, a sleeping basket, a play rope and four plain surfaces. As such, the cat tree provides enough exercise by giving your feline a good place to climb up and down, run around and just be as active as it wants.
The Go Pet Club Cat Tree is available in two colors – beige and black and backed by a 30-day warranty against manufacturing defects. If you are hard-pressed for space, you can get a smaller tree from the same manufacturer.
If you have an overweight cat, you should definitely consider getting a cat activity tree and the Go Pet Club Cat Tree is a perfect starting option. You can leave a few treats on the tree to get the kitty interested in the tree.
Type: Interactive Track Chase Toy
- Material: BPA-free plastic track and ball.
- Size: 24” x 14.4” x 2.1”; over 36” long track. Ping-pong sized circuit ball.
- No-batteries required.
- A unique, next-generation model of the Catit Senses Circuit interactive track toy.
- The Super Circuit 2.0 features a combination of play and wave circuits and is 24″ longer than the older model. Made of BPA-free plastic.
- Comes with 12 track parts that can be arranged in 100+ layouts. Comes with a circuit ball and can also work with standard ping pong balls and lightning balls.
- Suitable for single and multi-cat households. Works best for small and medium cat breeds.
- Compatible with other Catit Senses products but requires around 36” of space for setting it up.
The Catit Senses series of toys are a hugely popular collection of interactive cat toys, and the Catit Senses 2.0 Super Circuit is an excellent multi-purpose toy in the range, especially if you are looking for providing some physical and mental workout to your kitty.
The Catit Senses 2.0 Super Circuit features a combination of play and wave circuits and is over 36″ long, so it does take some space. The super circuit is about 24″ (62 cm.) longer than the older circuit toys and hence can provide more workout to the cat.
The circuit comes in a set of 12 track parts that can be arranged in over 100+ layouts. The toy includes a standard circuit ball, though you can also use a standard ping pong ball as well. All the parts are made of BPA-free plastic.
The track is built in a way that there are enough openings for the cat to bat the ball. Some owners have complained that the openings are not big enough for the full paws of 25-30 lbs. adult cat, but we believe your kitty would figure out a way to pat the ball.
For the best results, you can use it with the Catit Fireball which is a motion-activated illuminated ball and an excellent fit to the circuit.
The Catit Senses 2.0 Super Circuit is easy to disassemble and clean by hand with soap and water and fits well with other Catit Senses 2.0 and 1.0 toys.
Overall, the Catit Senses 2.0 Super Circuit is an excellent option to provide some exercise to your kitty and it works well for single-pet and multi-pet homes, especially if you have enough space to set it up.
Type: Electronic chase toys. Assorted models.
- Material: Recycled BPA-free plastic, natural feathers or rubber.
- Assorted models. Exact specs vary.
- Most toys run on 1-3 AA batteries (not included)
- A collection of different interactive cat toys from the cat toys best-seller.
- The Loco!Motion toys features an erratically moving fluttery feather toy that provides both mental and physical stimulation to the cat.
- The toy base is made of 50% recycled, BPA-free plastic with natural, un-dyed feathers. Replacement wands are available from the manufacturer.
- Runs on 3-AA batteries (not included) with an adjustable speed and is programmable to work for up to 2 continuous hours.
- Additional toy designs are also available.
- Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed or money back commitment.
By their very nature, cats are hunters and can be mesmerized by a chase or concealed motion toy that stimulates these instincts. Among the electronic cat motion toys, The SmartyKat Crazy Cruisers Electronic Cat Toys are one of the most durable and interesting choice (the Loco!Motion toy model is one of our favorites along with the Hot Pursuit toy).
The Loco!Motion features an erratically moving feather. The toy is attached to a plastic wand that moves the prey unpredictably at two adjustable speeds. The wand is pretty durable and fully replaceable with other types of prey.
Most of these toys use 1-3 AA batteries, which are not included. To avoid draining of batteries, the toy should be turned off after a play session. SmartyKat provides a satisfaction guaranteed commitment on all its products, so you can get one without any worries.
Overall, the SmartyKat Crazy Cruisers Electronic Cat Toys are an excellent assortment of toy for your indoor cat to stimulate its senses and provide it with the much-needed workout.
Type: Cat Activity Center
- Material: Soft plush fabric with plastic and fabric balls.
- Size: 24” x 24” x 13”.
- Decent-quality cat activity center with a soft, plush fabric bed and four hanging balls/mice. Made in China.
- Suitable for unsupervised play for all cats up to 25 lbs. Works best with kittens and small/medium cats.
- Padded mat provides soft resting surface with dangling balls and mice to provide the workout.
- Comes with an additional pet ball as a free gift and backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed or money back commitment.
Remember those play gyms for toddlers? The Petty Love House Cat Activity Center is designed on exactly the same principles and an excellent activity toy for all cats up to 25 lbs. It is also suitable for unsupervised play, so you can leave your kitty with it when at work.
The Petty Love House Cat Activity Center features a soft, plush fabric play mat with four dangling balls and mice. The mat is padded to provide a soft resting surface to the kitty. The dangling balls and mice provide tempting batting and pouncing toys to the kitty. You can even replace these toys with some of your kitty’s favorites.
To sweeten the deal, the Petty Love House cat play gym comes with an additional ball as a free bonus. And it is backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed or money back commitment when purchased directly from the manufacturer.
Type: Electronic Fling Toy
- Material: Silky nylon cord with a plastic body and rubber conveyor belt
- Size: 29.5” x 5” x 2.5”
- Weight: 9 oz.
- Needs 3 AA batteries (not included)
- An award-winning, battery-operated string-flinging action-packed toy.
- Features a silky nylon vibrant-colored string attached to an elastic conveyor belt with a plastic frame that can be attached to any standard door knob or lever.
- The string is sewn on the conveyor belt that rotates and flings the string periodically. Supports two speeds – slow and fast. Uses 3-AA batteries.
- Suitable for cats of all ages and breeds. For supervised play only.
- Supported by free replacement parts throughout the lifetime of the toy.
MOODY PET Fling-Ama-String Cat Toy is an excellent exercise toy if your cat gets a hang of it. It has been a recipient of a bunch of awards and there is a good reason for it.
The MOODY PET Fling-Ama-String Cat Toy features a bright, silky cord that is sewn to an elastic conveyor belt. The belt is operated by 3-AA batteries (not included) which rotate the string continuously. The toy supports 2 speeds – slow and fast. The toy can be hanged on any standard door knob or lever.
As the string is flung, the cat can claw, bite or pull the string. As soon as the kitty lets go of the string, it starts rotating again. While the toy is not super quiet when in use, it is not overly loud as well.
The Fling-Ama-String toy is suitable for cats of all ages and breeds. And the best part is that the manufacturer offers free part replacement throughout the life of the toy, so your kitty can have all the fun and exercise for a long time to come.
Type: Interactive treat dispenser toy
- Material: BPA-free, food-grade ABS plastic.
- Size: 3” x 3.8” x 3”
- Weight: 2.4 ounces.
- Egg-shaped treat dispenser toy featuring a durable ABS plastic treat ball. BPA, BPS and Phthalate-free.
- Features 3 adjustable treat dispensing holes which can be adjusted according to the kibble size and dispensing rate.
- Because of the oval shape, the ball rolls unpredictably and dispenses treats at irregular intervals, making the cat work for it.
- Easy to clean and top-rack dishwasher safe.
- Suitable for all cats and competitively priced under $ 6.
If you are looking to prolong your kitty’s kibble time and make it work for the food, then check out the popular PetSafe FUNKitty Egg Cersizer toy.
The Egg Cersizer features a durable ABS plastic treat dispensing ball. The ball is BPA, BPS and Phthalate free and absolutely safe for cats of all ages.
The treat dispenser has three holes which can be adjusted from fully closed to fully open (about 1″ opening) according to the kibble size and dispensing rate that you want by simply twisting the egg. The treat ball only works with dry kibble, so you can only use to replace one of your kitty’s meals.
Since the treat ball is oval shaped like an egg, it rolls unpredictably as the cat pats it and dispenses treats at irregular intervals, thus helping in slowing down the feeding time and making the kitty work for the food.
The Egg Cersizer is top-rack dishwasher safe and easy to clean with running water. And the best part is that it is only 6 bucks, so you can get multiple dispensers if you want and help your cat lose some weight even while feeding.
Type: Interactive Cat Slow Feeder.
- Material: BPA, BPS and Phthalate-free plastic feeders with Rayon fiber skins.
- Size: 3 individual mouse-shaped, each with 1/5 cup of feed. One additional trainer.
- Type of Food: Dry kibble/food only.
- Interesting cat slow feeder which allows the cat to hunt its food through 3-individual mouse feeders. Designed in the US and made in China.
- Scoop, trainer and each feeder are made of food-grade plastic with Nylon/Rayon fiber skins on feeders.
- Use the scoop to fill the trainer first. As the cat learns to toss and turn to get the kibble out, use it on five feeders, distribute them across the house and let the cat hunt for its meal.
- Top rack dishwasher safe plastic; Machine washable fabric.
- The manufacturer also offers a Doc and Phoebe’s Wet Slow Feeder for moist or wet food.
The Doc & Phoebe’s Indoor Hunting Cat Feeder is one of the most interesting cat slow feeder for beginner cats, provided the kitty gets a hang of it. It not only helps in slowing down feeding time but also makes the kitty work for its food and hence helps in weight management.
This smart cat feeder features a set of 3 mouse-shaped interactive cat feeders, each of which can be filled with 1.6 tablespoons of dry cat feed, which is 1/6 of daily food requirement of a 10 lbs. cat. A trainer is also included to help train your cat to use this slow feeder. The trainer, scoop spoon and feeders are all made of high-quality food-grade plastic. The feeders have a Rayon/Nylon fabric skin that can take some abuse by the cat, but not by big animals like dogs.
In order to use the slow feeder, you need to fill each of the interactive feeders with dry kibble and hide them around the room. Let your cat hunt for the feeding mouse, scoop the food out of it and look for the next one. A 3-mouse set can provide a full one-time meal to a 10-12 lbs. cat and two feeding sessions are enough for a day.
The Doc & Phoebe’s Indoor Hunting Cat Feeders are dishwasher-safe in the top rack and the skins can be removed and machine-washed as well.
Overall the Doc & Phoebe’s Indoor Hunting Cat Feeder is an entertaining cat feeder to help you in weight management and best suited for a single pet home.
Type: Cat teaser wand, suitable for kittens and cats of all ages.
- Material: 2-part Fiberglass wand with a nylon string and a feather bird dangler.
- Size:36″ wand, 32″ string.
- Suitable For: All kittens and cats. For interactive play under strict supervision.
- Best-selling, made in the US, feather-wand cat chasing toy for interactive supervised play with your cat.
- Features a 36-inch, 2-part Fiberglass wand with a 32″ nylon string and a feather bird dangler
- The swiveled attachment make the feathers look, sound and feel like the real bird wings when moved to encourage the feline to exhibit natural hunting behaviors.
- Backed by a one-year warranty against manufacturing defects.
- Similar feather teaser toy is also available with a retractable poly-carbonate wand and foam handle.
Just like the Cat Dancer Charmer toy, the popular Go Cat Da Bird Pole is an excellent cat teaser toy that caters to the natural bird-hunting instincts of felines. And like other teaser toys, it is also an entertaining toy to help your cat lose weight.
This made in the US Wand Toy features a 32-inch long durable Fiberglass wand with a 32-inch stretchable nylon string and a 3-inch or bigger dangling feather teaser. This 65+ inch arrangement means that you are at a safe distance from the claws of your kitten or cat. The wand is collapsible in two parts for easy storage.
Da Bird Feather Teaser simulates the motion of a bird at your control. As you swivel the wand in the air, the feather attachment floats and feels like a flying bird, encouraging the cat to unleash her hunter instincts and pounce, chase and swat at the prey.
Just a word on advice on the such wand teaser toys. It is important that you do not leave such a wand toy unattended and supervise your pet while playing at all times. Moreover, if the fiberglass rod shows signs of damage, discard it immediately to prevent splintering and injuries to your hand. You can also wrap a tape around the the holding part to act as a handle. (You can also opt for a similar variant on Chewy with a polycarbonate retractable wand and a foam handle).
If you are looking for an interactive toy that encourages your kitty’s instinctual hunting behavior and provide it much needed workout, then do not forget to add the Go Cat Da Bird Pole to your collection.
Type: Interactive hunting cat toy disc with LED lights and a soft feather catch.
- Material: BPA-free Polycarbonate thermoplastic body and soft artificial felt feather catch.
- Size: 6.8″ x 6.8″ x 6.8″, 1.1 lbs.
- Suitable For: All cats and kittens. Suitable for supervised and semi-supervised play. Indoor/Outdoor use on any flat surface.
- Smart automatic cat play device that appeals to the natural hunting instincts of the felines. Made in China under strict quality control.
- Features a 6.8″ diameter disc made of heavy-duty polycarbonate plastic with six symmetrically-placed popping holes for the feather catch.
- Intelligently programmed ensures the feather pops out randomly from one of the six holes at different time intervals. Dual-mode LED lights (blue and purple) add to the excitement.
- Especially suitable for multi-cat homes. Loud and noisy operation so may not be suitable for sound-sensitive pets.
- Has stable anti-skid feet that keep the toy stationary on all surfaces – hardwood, carpet, tiles, etc.
- Powered by 4 AA-batteries (included) with an 8-minute auto-shut-off feature. Comes with a bonus replacement feather.
- Backed by a 12-month warranty against manufacturing defects. Replacement feathers are sold separately.
The PetFusion Ambush Interactive Cat Toy is another intelligent interactive cat toy that aims to appeal to the feline’s natural hunting instincts and help your cat lose weight. This toy is especially suitable for multi-cat homes and works well to provide entertainment and workout just before the sleep.
The Ambush features a 6.8″ diameter BPA-free heavy-duty polycarbonate plastic disc with six symmetrically-placed holes for the feather catch to pop out from. The disc is supported by stable anti-skid feet that allow it to work on all household surfaces – carpets, rugs, hardwood, tiles, etc. The toy is made in China under strict quality control measures.
The toy is intelligently programmed to ensure the feather pops out randomly from one of the six holes at different time intervals. What makes this toy special is the availability of dual-mode LED lights (blue and purple) that add a lot to the excitement. The motor of the toy is loud and noisy, so if your kitty is sound-sensitive, you may want to consider other smart cat toys.
The toy is powered by 4 AA-batteries (one set is included) which lasts for a reasonably long time. The toy also has an 8-minute auto-shut-off feature to preserve the charge.
The PetFusion Ambush Interactive Cat Toy comes with two feather attachments. Additional feather replacements are sold separately. The toy is backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty against any operational defects – so you can use the toy without worry.
To summarize, if you are looking for a stimulating hunting toy for your multi-cat home with one or more overweight cats, then you can consider the PetFusion Ambush Interactive Cat Toy as one of the options to provide your felines with the required entertainment and workout.
Type: Cat Exercising Wheel – Gen 4 model.
- Material: Recycled plastic with EVA foam running surface.
- Size: 34″ x 12” base; 48” wheel suitable for all cats weighing up to 25 lbs.
- Weight: 24 lbs.
- Uniquely-designed, non-motorized 48-inch exercise wheel for cats weighing up to 25 lbs.
- Made of 100% recycled plastic that is lightweight and durable.
- Features a closed-cell EVA foam running surface to provide a comfortable surface to the kitty to run on.
- Open design allows the cat to enter from any side. Easy cleaning with a hose or wet towel.
- Available in a few colors sold directly by the manufacturer. The Gen-4 model includes roller blade wheel covers included free of charge!
- Backed by a 30-day hassle-free return guarantee.
- Note: For people in the UK, you can check out a similar Cat In Motion Exercise Wheel or L&XY Cat Scratch Board Cat Exercise Wheel.
The One Fast Cat Exercise Wheel is a uniquely-designed product that came out of a successful Kickstarter campaign. It took the exercising wheel concept of hamster cages and expanded it to use with the felines. Since its early release in 2014/2015, the product has gone through a bunch of improvements and the current version is Generation-4 product.
The One Fast Cat Exercise Wheel features a 48″ exercising wheel with a solid 34″ x 12″ base. The wheel and the body are made of 100% recycled plastic. In order to make the running comfortable, the wheel has EVA-foam cushioned running surface. A replacement cushion surface is available from the manufacturer’s website.
The One Fast Cat Exercise Wheel has an open design, which means that the kitty can enter from any side. It is easy to assemble, though you may need some skills to set it up properly. Installation instructions are available with the wheel and also available online. The wheel is designed to work with all cats weighing up to 25 lbs.
Since running on exercise wheel is not a natural activity for cats, the manufacturer offers a 30-day hassle free evaluation period. If your kitty is not comfortable, you can choose to return it using the returning label that comes with the package.
Overall, the One Fast Cat Exercise Wheel is an innovative product worth checking out, but only if you have the budget (it is around 250 bucks), time and place to install it properly.
Additional Products to help the cat lose weight
Now that we have looked at some of the best toys to help your kitty get some exercise and mental stimulation, let us check out some additional products that you can help you in your quest for getting your cat to lose weight.
The quest to lean-up an overweight cat almost always involves some major dietary changes – the inclusion of more wet food, special calorie-free limited ingredient meals and so on. So, the feeding regimen becomes a lot more important.
To further help you with the meal management, you can consider getting a cat slow feeder to make your kitty work more for its food and help you increase the feeding time. We have an excellent article on the best cat slow feeders that you can check out. Please note that some feeders only work for dry food only, while others can also be used with wet food.
If the timing of meals is a concern, then consider getting an automatic pet feeder. You should consider a tray-type automatic pet feeder because it can also work well with wet food and even medicine pills and treats. The Cat Mate C500 Automatic Pet Feeder is one of our favorites because it includes twin ice packs to keep the wet food fresh for quite some time.
Finally, if you have multiple pets and are worried about your food-motivated kitty stealing the food from the other felines, then you can look at getting a selective pet feeder like the SureFeed Microchip Pet Feeder. This smart feeder allows you to use the cat’s microchop or an RFID tag attached to the pet’s collar to program the feeder to only open for the specific pet. The microchip RFID tags are simple, small and easily replaceable. The only drawback is that is 100+ dollars, but worth every penny if you can master its use.
It is a well-established fact that cats are extremely quirky about hydration. Since your kitty’s weight management would most definitely include proper hydration and the fact that cats prefer running water over standing water, you would be better off getting a pet water fountain such as the popular HoneyGuaridan smart cat fountain.
A pet water fountain would not only help you in ensuring proper hydration but also help in keeping health issues such as Urinary Tract Infection (UTI), frequent indigestion and other stomach ailments at bay.
We have a detailed article on the best pet water fountains that you can check out to help you pick the best cat water fountain for your household.
Additional Information on how to help your cat lose weight
Helping your cat lose some weight is going to be a challenge that is as much behavioral as it is physical. The best single resource that you can check out is the Association for Pet Obesity Prevention website, which has a rich collection of tools and articles to help weight management in felines (and canines too!).
You can also check some cat training guides for more information on how to manage everyday diet, behavioral issues etc. and ensure a happy, healthy cat. Just remember, helping your cat lose some weight is going to be as much of a journey for you as will be for your beloved feline.
Final thoughts on the best toys to help your cat lose weight
Being overweight ala Garfield is not a healthy proposition for your kitty and can lead to a bunch of health issues such as arthritis, diabetes, frequent Urinal infections and so on. Unfortunately, a sizable number of felines are considered overweight as per the veterinary standards – almost 60% of them. One of the best ways to help your cat lose some weight is to engage it in some physical and mental exercise through toys, in addition to the dietary changes recommended by the vet.
In this article, we looked at some of the best cat toys and products to help your cat lose some weight. We listed different types of products starting from interactive exercise toys, cat trees, feeders and even exercise wheel to help your kitty get physically active and shed those extra pounds. We also listed some feeding and drinking products that you can check out to help you in the process.
We hope that you found this article useful and it will help you in pick some toys and products to help your cat lose some weight. Do let us know your feedback by commenting below. Until next time, have a playful time with your kitty!!