Best dog-proof cat feeders and microchip cat feeders for multi-pet homes
In our article on the best automatic pet feeders, we looked at how these smart electronic feeders can help in maintaining a feeding regimen even when you are not around. These automatic food dispensers work perfectly for single or multi-pet homes when all pets are disciplined and on the same diet.
However, one major limitation of these feeders is that they are ineffective in preventing one pet from stealing the food of another pet. So, if you have a multi-pet home – be it multiple cats or a combination of cats and dogs, you need a smarter, automatic cat food dispenser. Enter selective pet feeders to the scene.
In this article, we will look at some of the best microchip cat feeders and selective pet feeders available in the market. Four of the options that we list are wireless technology-based tags/microchip cat feeders, while two are smartly-designed, dog-proof cat feeders for homes with both cats and dogs as pets.
We will also discuss some of the major factors to keep in mind while using these smart cat food dispensers and share some tips and tricks.
Read on to find out which are the best dog-proof cat feeders and microchip cat feeders available in the market for multi-pet homes!
Best dog-proof cat feeders and microchip cat feeders listSome of the best dog-proof cat feeders and tag/microchip cat feeders available in the market right now are listed below:
|SureFlap SureFeed Microchip Pet Feeder||Capacity: 13.5 fl. oz.|
Dry or Wet Food.
|PortionProRx Automatic Pet Feeder||Capacity: 7 lbs. hopper. |
Dry Kibble only.
|Wireless Whiskers AutoDiet Automatic Feeder||Capacity: 5 lbs. hopper. |
Dry Kibble only.
|Our Pets Wonder Bowl Selective Pet Feeder||Capacity: 12.0 fl. oz.|
Dry or Wet Food.
|Gatefeeder GF-100 RFID Controlled Automated Pet Feeder||Capacity: 20 - 25 fl. oz.|
Dry or Wet Food.
|Felines Only - the Purrrfect Cat Dish||Capacity: 8.0 fl. oz. x 2.|
Dry or Wet Food.
|Feed-Safe Feeding Station||Capacity: 32 fl. oz. x 2|
Dry or Wet Food.
What are selective pet feeders and why do you need one?
The first question that would probably come in your mind is what are selective pet feeders, which are the different types of selective pet feeders and dog-proof cat feeders available in the market and what purposes can they serve? Let us try to answer these questions in this section.
Selective pet feeders are smartly-designed pet food dispensers and food bowls that are designed to provide food/meal access to a specific pet (or size of pet) while keeping the chow away from other pets.
Such feeders are available in two broad categories – electronic microchip/tag-based automatic pet feeders and restricted access feeding stations.
Restricted-access feeding stations are simple feeding bowls with a cover or opening that is suitable for a pet of specific size. Bigger pets cannot access these food bowls. Such feeding stations are only suitable in situations when you have a distinctive size difference in your pets – specifically if you have a cat or puppy and a large dog who likes to steal the small pet’s food.
Electronic microchip/tag-based selective pet feeders are a bit smarter – they rely on digital and wireless sensor technologies to provide access to the food bowl to an authorized pet while restricting access to all other pets. Because of their electronic circuitry, these automatic feeders require a power supply or batteries to run and use the pet’s microchip or special RFID tag for access control.
The main difference between using your pet’s microchip and a collar tag for access control is that the pet microchip is a passive RFID device – it doesn’t transmit any signal and merely reflects signals back to the source. RFID tags can both transmit and receive signals. So, RFID collar tags tend to have a longer range of detection.
Selective pet feeders can be useful in a number of situations, some of which are summarized below:
- Selective pet feeders help in preventing food stealing and food guarding among pets. This is especially useful if you have both cats and dogs as pets.
- Selective pet feeders, especially tag-based ones, also help in keeping the pet’s food away from an inquisitive toddler and flies and insects by keeping the access door closed unless an authorized pet is in the range.
- Such feeders help in ensuring that only the specified pet has access to a costly prescribed diet. Other pets cannot steal the food easily and hence help you save money.
- Selective pet feeders help in managing the weight and habits of a gobbler pet who likes to finish its own food and then steal foods from other nibbler pets.
- Selective pet feeders help in preventing pet-to-pet food conflicts over time.
For the discussion above, it is clear that tag and microchip-based automatic cat food dispensers are an excellent product to consider for multi-pet homes, especially if you have one of the pets on a special diet or one or more pets who like to steal other pet’s food.
In the next sections, we will list the best selective cat food dispensers and tag or microchip cat feeders available in the market and their key features.
Which are the best dog-proof cat feeders and the best microchip cat feeders?
SureFlap SureFeed Microchip Pet Feeder
- Material: ABS plastic body and transparent lid with BPA-free ABS plastic/stainless-steel feeding bowl.
- Size:62″ x 9″ x 7.88″, 4.6 lbs. feeder; 8.25″ x 6.12″ hood, 4.1” x 1.2” x 6.3” feeding bowl; 1.0” x 1.0”; 0.07 oz. tag.
- Capacity: A single/split 13.5 fl. oz. food bowl (2.25 cups)
Primary Use: Selective feeding to specific pets – cats or dogs. Retains up to 32 RFID tag details per feeder. Works for both dry and wet food.
- Award-winning and best-selling selective pet feeder that supports both standard microchips and RFID tags. Designed in the United Kingdom and made in China under the manufacturer’s quality control measures.
- Features a BPA-free, ABS plastic body and feeding bowls with an access hood and polycarbonate access control door. The unique hood-design prevents accidental access door closure due to pet movement.
- Smart access control design that works for both existing pet microchips as well as RFID tags.
- When the authorized pet comes in the range of sensors, the Infrared technology identifies the microchip/tag and opens the food bowl lid. It also supports an intruder mode – the feeder closes the lid if an unregistered pet comes nearby.
- Designed to work with 4, C-type batteries that can last for 6 months to a year. Tags have internal batteries that can last for 1-2 years.
- Comes with a single portion and a split portion bowl (for dry and wet food), one matching color silicone mat, and one RFID collar tag. Accessories and additional tags are sold separately. Other fashionable colors are available directly from the manufacturer.
- Backed by a best-in-class 3-year manufacturer warranty and dedicated customer service support.
The award-winning and best-selling SureFlap SureFeed Microchip Pet Feeder is probably the best smart cat food dispenser in the market right now and hence our favorite. The latest 2019 model is the MPF001, which has gone through some excellent improvements over previous models ( A word of advice – Check the model number before purchasing a feeder).
SureFlap SureFeed Microchip Pet Feeder comes as an all-inclusive bundle that contains the main unit, two feeding bowls – one full bowl and one split bowl, one RFID tag and a silicone feeding station mat. The product is designed in Cambridge, United Kingdom and manufactured in China under strict quality control restrictions. All the components are high-quality and pet-safe.
The SureFeed pet feeder has overall dimensions of 12.62″ x 9″ x 7.88″ and would work for all pets who can fit in the 8.25″ x 6.12″ hood – all cat breeds and small to medium dogs. The feeder is powered by 4 C-type batteries, which can last from 6 months to 1 year.
The best part of the SureFlap SureFeed pet feeder is its smart selective feeding system. The feeder works with all standard pet microchips around the world – it supports the 9 (Avid Secure), 10 (FDXA) and 15 (FDXB) digit microchip numbers. And if you so wish, you can use the RFID collar tags instead which provide a little better sensitivity and control.
As the pet approaches the feeder, the sensors recognize the pet and if it is authorized, the flap door on the bowl is opened. The food bowl supports both wet and dry food. The feeder also supports an intruder mode, in which the lid is closed if an unregistered pet comes nearby. The lid time delay can be adjusted to three settings – a big plus over other selective pet feeders.
Like other Sure Petcare microchip products, the SureFlap SureFeed Pet Feeder is backed by a best-in-class three-year manufacturer warranty and a dedicated customer service support. It is available in standard grey color, though additional colors are also available directly from the manufacturer. Moreover, you can also purchase accessories such as extra feeding bowls and mats.
With respect to the limitations, the major limitation of the SureFeed feeder is that it does not provide portion control and does not have a timer. This means that there is no way to control the portion size for an authorized pet. Secondly, it is powered only by batteries and there is no AC adapter support.
Finally, if you have a persistent pet, he/she can steal food from the rear of the feeder. To prevent this, you will have to buy the SureFeed Feeder Rear Cover as an accessory – it would have been nice to have this accessory included.
Despite these limitations, it is still the best microchip/tag-based smart selective pet feeder in the market.
UPDATE: If you would like precise monitoring of your pet’s diet, then check out the PetCare SureFeed Microchip Pet Feeder Connect Microchip Automatic Feeder. This feeder accurately records how much your furry friend eats every day and is capable of precisely measuring up to two different types of food. It is also available with the WiFi hub.
PortionProRx Automatic Pet Feeder
- Material: ABS plastic hopper and transparent slider lid with ceramic-coated steel feeding bowl.
- Size:14.3” x 12.2” x 13.4”, 7 lbs. feeder; 5.5″x5.5″x2.5″ bowl; 1.2” x 1.0”, 0.4 oz. tag.
- Capacity: 7 lbs. hopper, with a maximum of 2-cups (12 fl. oz.) portion size.
Primary Use: Selective feeding to specific pets – cats or dogs. It can support multiple pets but works best with a single pet per feeder. Hopper supports dry kibble only. Wet food can be directly added to the bowl for dispensing at the scheduled time.
- Intelligent pet feeder that provides programmable automatic feeding and access control using a patented RFID technology. Designed in the USA and made in China.
- Features a BPA-free, ABS plastic hopper with a polycarbonate sliding lid and ceramic-coated steel feeding bowl. The bowl is removable and dishwasher-safe.
- Relies on a patented active RFID system in the tag that allows the feeder to sense when a pet is within 2 feet and either opens or closes a door over the food bowl to control access. Uses a power supply with an AC adapter (included).
- Designed to dispense 2 to 6 meals per day and anywhere from 1/2 cup to 6 cups of food daily.
- Comes with a single access tag that can last for up to 1 year. Additional tags are sold separately.
- Backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty.
The PortionProRx Automatic Pet Feeder is another smart RFID-technology based automatic pet feeder that provides both scheduled feeding regimen and access control features to all pets, especially cats. The feeder is designed in the US and manufactured in the US under strict quality control restrictions by the manufacturer.
The PortionProRx Automatic Pet Feeder features a transparent BPA, BPS, and Phthalate-free ABS plastic container with a ceramic-coated steel bowl and polycarbonate access-control sliding lid. The sliding lid design means that the feeder does not close inadvertently on the pet’s face while feeding – a major problem with the Wireless Whiskers pet feeder.
The PortionProRx feeder is designed to dispense 2 to 6 meals per day and anywhere from 1/2 cup to 6 cups of food daily. Once programmed using the onboard electronic system, the feeder releases a pre-configured amount of dry kibble in the food bowl. When a pet with approved tag approaches the feeder, it senses when a pet is within 2 feet and either opens or closes a door over the food bowl to control the access to the kibble. This design means that for best results, all the pets in the household must have tags.
The feeder uses an AC adapter to power itself, but there is no secondary battery power source. The tag is water-resistant (up to 3 feet) and comes with a built-in battery. A tag can last the full one year.
The PortionProRx Automatic Pet Feeder is backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty. It comes with an AC adapter, instruction manual, and an RFID tag. Additional tags can be purchased separately.
With respect to the drawbacks, the major limitation of this smart feeder is that for the access control element of the PortionPro Rx to work properly, all pets in the home will need to wear tags. The tags do not have replaceable batteries, so you would have to buy new ones for all pets at least once a year. Another limitation is that the access control door does make a sound when opening, so you would have to train your pet to not get spooked by it. Finally, when compared to other tag-based automatic feeders, the PortionProRx feeder is considerably costlier.
Wireless Whiskers AutoDiet Automatic Feeder
- Material: Food-grade, BPA-free, ABS plastic body with Polycarbonate feeding tube and control doors.
- Size: 16” x 9” x 16”, 5.0 lbs. feeder; 1.5” x 1.0”, 0.5 oz. tag.
- Capacity: 5 lbs. hopper, with customized pet food dispensing.
Primary Use: Selective feeding to specific pets – cats or dogs that are up to 18” tall. Up to 8 pets per feeder. Works only for dry kibble.
- Patented, smart wireless tag-based automatic pet feeder that offers a unique automatic diet wizard for pet food control and selective feeding. Designed in the US.
- Features a BPA-free, food-grade, ABS plastic hopper with polycarbonate feeding tube and control doors.
- Relies on specialized, waterproof wireless tags to identify the pet and dispenses an appropriate portion of dry kibble when the pet is in range. A single feeder can support up to 8 pets.
- Unique AutoDiet Wizard mechanism smartly determines each pet’s daily feeding portion and adjusts automatically. The control can also be overridden manually.
- The feeder can work on the standard power supply with an AC adapter (included) or 4 D-type batteries (not included). The tags have an internal non-replaceable battery, which lasts for over a year.
- Comes with 2 wireless tags and an AC adapter. Additional tags are sold separately through the manufacturer’s website.
- Backed by a 6-month manufacturer warranty against workmanship and defects. CE, FCC, ETSI and IC certified, and lab-tested.
The Wireless Whiskers AutoDiet Automatic Feeder is one of the first successful automatic selective pet feeders in the market. Designed in the Silicon Valley, California, this patented automatic feeder is one of the most advanced diet management systems for pets. The latest model is the third-generation product that has gone through major enhancements, so you should ensure you get the latest one.
The Wireless Whiskers AutoDiet Automatic Feeder features an ABS plastic feeding hopper and BPA-free plastic bowl with a heavy-duty polycarbonate feeding tube and access-control lids. The hopper is transparent and can hold up to 5 lbs. of dry kibble. The feeder relies on a digital wireless tag attached to the pet’s collar for access to the dispensed food. The tag is waterproof and about 1.4-inches in diameter and weighs about 0.5 ounces.
The Wireless Whiskers feeder uses a smart AutoDiet Wizard system to set the daily portion size of the pet. Whenever a pet approaches the feeder, it is welcomed by name and the feeder opens the lid and gives access to the pet. When a pet reaches its available allowance the feeder doors shut. You can divide the daily allowance in up to 24 portions and also manage it manually. There are a bunch of additional features (automatic alerts if the pet is underfeeding, historical information, auto power-source switch etc.) to manage the pet’s diet. The feeder works primarily on AC power supply using the included adapter, though you can also use 4 D-type batteries to power it in emergencies. The tags use internal batteries which are not replaceable. But one set of tag lasts for over 1-2 years.
The Wireless Whiskers AutoDiet Automatic Feeder is designed to work with up to 8 pets that are up to 18-inches tall – almost all cat breeds and small dogs. The feeder comes with 2 wireless tags and you can purchase additional tags from the manufacturer separately. Each feeder is backed by a 6-month manufacturer warranty.
Coming to drawbacks, some users have reported the issues with the wireless tags not activating the dispenser or wrongly activating it for few seconds even after the pet has walked away. Secondly, since the tag needs to be kept dangling in the collar, you may need to employ some improvisations to ensure your pet is comfortable with it and does not accidentally gets it stuck in the mouth – some small limitations but not necessarily deal-breakers.
Our Pets Wonder Bowl Selective Pet Feeder
- Material: ABS plastic body and transparent lid with stainless-steel feeding bowl.
- Size:9.5” x 8.2” x 6.2”, 2.07 lbs. bowl; 1.5” x 1.0”, 0.4 oz. tag.
- Capacity: A single 12.0 fl. oz. food bowl.
Primary Use: Selective feeding to specific pets – cats or dogs. Up to 8 pets per feeding bowl. Works for both dry and wet food.
- Selective pet feeder that relies on Infrared + RFID sensor technology to control the feeding bowl lid. Made in China.
- Features a slip-resistant, ABS plastic station with a dishwasher-safe stainless steel feeding bowl.
- The smartly-activated feeding lid restricts the access to food only to the designated pet (up to 8 per bowl). Designed to keep food fresh for a long time.
- The tag takes CR2032 battery, which lasts for about 30 days; The feeding bowl takes 3 D-type batteries that last 40-43 days. It can also work with an AC adapter that is sold separately.
- Backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty. Comes with one tag with battery; additional tags are sold separately.
The OurPets WonderBowl Selective Pet Feeder is another Infrared + RFID tag-based cat feeder bowl. Priced at under 60 dollars, this single-meal selective pet feeder is a decent starting option if you are looking for a smart bowl to ensure that only the designated pet has access to the contents of the bowl. The OurPets WonderBowl is made in China and comes with a feeding station and an access-control tag and battery.
The OurPets WonderBowl pet feeder features an ABS plastic feeding station with a removable, dishwasher-safe stainless-steel feeding bowl. The station has dimensions of 9.5” x 8.2” x 6.2”; and weighs around 2.07 lbs. The bowl can hold up to 1.5 cups of food at one time and works for both dry and wet food. A water-resistant collar tag is also included, and you can purchase additional tags separately.
The WonderBowl relies on infrared technology to detect when the pet is near the food bowl. When the pet wearing the unique collar tag is in range, the lid will open, granting access only to the designated pet. Once the pet has finished eating its chow and moves out of the range, the lid closes automatically. A single bowl can support up to 8 tags, each with a different frequency.
The feeder uses 3 D-type batteries that can last for 40-42 days. The tag uses a CR2032 battery which lasts for just over a month. Both the feeder and tags have low battery indicators. The feeder can also work with power supply using an AC adapter that is sold separately.
The OurPets WonderBowl Selective Pet Feeder is backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty. And if you are looking for a smart feeder that can also provide nutritional information, then you can check out the Our Pets Smart Link Selective Feeder Bowl. It features a Bluetooth-based health monitoring system and Intelligent Pet Link smartphone app that makes it easy to monitor your pet’s health, product performance, maintenance, and usage (Unfortunately, it does not work with WiFi connectivity, which is a major drawback).
Coming to the drawbacks, the WonderBowl feeder and tags both do not have long battery lives. Moreover, the tag (fob) requires to be properly positioned towards the bowl for opening the door. Some owners have reported that this occasionally causes the lid of the bowl to close accidentally even when the pet is feeding from the bowl because the tag dangles down below the Infrared sensor of the feeder. This can be a big let-down for a timid pet.
Gatefeeder GF-100 RFID Controlled Automated Pet Feeder
- Material: ABS plastic body and access door with a stainless-steel feeding bowl.
- Size: 15.0″ x 11.0″ x 12.6″, 12.5 lbs. enclosure with gate; 1.5″ x 1.0″, 0.5 oz. tag.
- Capacity: 2-3 days of food supply.
Primary Use: Selective feeding to specific pets – 5-20 lbs. cats or puppies. Up to 5 pets per feeder. Works for both dry and wet food.
- The first patented controlled-feeding solution for cats that relies on Infrared + RFID sensor technology to control the feeding station door. Made in Hong Kong.
- Features a slip-resistant, ABS plastic enclosure with a gate and dishwasher-safe stainless steel feeding bowl.
- The smartly-activated feeding lid restricts the access to food only to the designated pet (up to 5 per feeder). Works with both wet and dry food with space for a ice pack to keep the food fresh for up to 8-10 hours.
- Battery operated, and requires the use of 6 AA batteries, sold separately.
- Backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty. Comes with one tag and manual; additional tags are sold separately.
The Gatefeeder GF-100 RFID Controlled Automated Pet Feeder one of the first selecting pet feeder in the market that relies on smart Infrared + RFID tag-based technology to control feed access. First introduced in 2012 and then relaunced after improvement, this weekend-meal, selective pet feeder is a decent starting option (it is priced well under 60 USD). The GateFeeder is made in Hong Kong and comes with a feeding station and an access-control tag and battery.
The GateFeeder has an ABS plastic feeding enclosure with a tamper-proof gate and removable, dishwasher-safe, stainless-steel feeding bowl. The improved design features an ergonomic door to prevent head or collar entanglement, a removable hood that allows for convenient access and a viewing window that allows pet owners to check on the kitty without disturbing it.
The station has dimensions of 15.0″ x 11.0″ x 12.6″; and weighs around 12.5 lbs. The selective pet feeder is designed for indoor, or protected outdoor use. It is suitable for all small to medium cats and other pets up to 5 – 20 lbs.
The bowl can hold a weekend of food supply – 2-3 days of kibble and works for all types of foods – canned, kibble, a special diet, or medication. It even has a space to install an ice pack to keep the wet food fresh for 8-10 hours.
A water-resistant smart RFID tag is also included, and you can purchase additional tags separately. A single feeder can support up to 5 tags, each with a different frequency.
The GateFeeder relies on infrared technology to detect when the pet is near the feeding station. When the pet wearing the unique collar tag is in range, the door will open, granting access only to the designated pet. Once the pet has finished eating its chow and moves out of the range, the lid closes automatically. The feeder is powered 6 AA-type batteries (not included) that can last for 30-40 days.
The Gatefeeder GF-100 RFID Controlled Automated Pet Feeder is backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty.
When it comes to the limitations, some buyers have reported the kibble jamming between the lower edge of the door and the lip of the steel bowl occasionally, preventing the door from opening – to prevent, make sure that you clean the feeder at least once a fortnight. The other limitation of the feeder is the sensitivity of the RFID tag – the feeder activates only when the tag is relatively close to the feeding door (8-12 inches), making the training process longer.
Finally, since the manufacturer is Hong Kong based, getting replacement parts or additional support can be a hassle.
Felines Only – the Purrrfect Cat Dish
- Material: Food-grade, BPA-free plastic feeding station with two bowls. Rubber pads for stability.
- Size:25” x 7.75” x 9”; 2.0 lbs.; 5” diameter bowl opening.
- Capacity: Two 1-cup (8 fl. oz.) feeding/water bowls.
Primary Use: Feeding-station for cats while keeping the large dogs (50+ lbs.) out. Works for both dry and wet food.
- Budget, dog-proof, cat-only feeding station with a BPA-free plastic construction. Designed in Canada and made in the US.
- Smart, “eyebrow lid design” provides a 5” opening on top of two food bowls for the cats to access the food, while keeping large dogs away.
- Comes with rubber pads and double-sided tape for stable, tip-over-free arrangement.
- Easy to assemble and clean. Fully dishwasher-safe (in the top rack).
- Includes a carrying handle for easy transportation.
If you have a multi-pet home with a large dog and one or more cats, then the Felines Only – the Purrrfect Cat Dish is an excellent pet food dispensing system to try out in order to keep the doggo with a neck size of 5″ away from stealing the kitty food.
The Felines Only cat dish is designed in Canada and manufactured in the US. It features an ABS plastic feeding station with two built-in feeding bowls and a smart, “eyebrow lid design” – the food bowls are covered with a plastic lid having an opening of 5-inches over each food bowl. So, any small pet with a neck size of less than 4.5 inches can easily access the food in the bowls while the bigger pets cannot raid the kibble.
The Felines Only cat dish is fully dishwasher safe and comes with rubber pads and a double-sided tape to make the dish attachable and stable and prevent accidental tip-overs. The dish also includes an external handle for easy transportation.
The main drawback of this cat dish is that a determined dog that has a long snout can still access the food in the bowl. Moreover, since the access door is always open, a child or crawlers can always access the cat chow and create a mess.
Feed-Safe Feeding Station
- Material: Food-grade ABS plastic dome and feeding station. 2 stainless steel feeding bowls.
- Size: 23” x 23” x 16” dome; 7.5” x 9” door with adjustable size.
Capacity: Two 4-cup (1 quart) feeding/water bowls. Works for both dry and wet food.
Primary Use: Feeding-station for cats and small dogs while keeping the large dogs (50+ lbs.) out.
- Innovative feeding station that is designed to provide secure food access to small pets and keep the big ones out. Made in the US for the makers of Litter-Robot self-cleaning litter box.
- Features a dome-shaped lid with a plastic feeding station and two entrances. The dome is made of high-quality ABS plastic. Two one-quart stainless steel feeding and water bowls are also included.
- The main entrance features a sliding door whose width is adjustable as per the pet’s size.
- Equipped with an alternative open-from-inside-only exit for the pet if the main exit is closed or blocked.
- Easy tool-free assembly. Easy to clean and features dishwasher-safe bowls and feeding surface.
- Backed by a two-year manufacturer warranty.
The Feed-Safe Feeding station is another ingenious, non-microchip pet food dispensing system to try out for multi-pet homes with one or more small pets (cats and/or puppies) and a large dog.
Made in the US and marketed by Litter-Robot, the manufacturer of the hugely popular self-cleaning litter system, the Feed-Safe Feeding Station features a BPA-free, ABS plastic feeding station with a dome-shaped lid. The lid has two entrances – one main entrance with an adjustable sliding door and another that has a flip-door that opens only from the inside. The feeding station comes with two 1-quart (4 cups) feeding and water bowls. It also has a plastic tray to prevent any accidental spills on to the floor.
The Feed-Safe Feeding Station has an easy tool-free assembly, which does require some skills to fit everything properly. With dimensions of 23″ x 23″ x 16″ and an entrance of 7.5″ x 9″, the feeding station can easily allow a couple of small cats in at one time. A door on the top allows you to fill in the bowls or wipe the interiors. The main entrance has a slider to control the entrance size and prevent a large pet to sneak its head in. There is also an alternative open-from-inside only exit for the pet if the main exit is closed or blocked.
The Feed-Safe Feeding Station is backed by a two-year manufacturer warranty.
Now coming to a couple of drawbacks, the feeding station largely requires your cats to eat in the dark. Some cats may actually prefer this, but for others, it can cause some anxiety. Another drawback is in terms of the adjustments on the main entrance. The settings are large enough to give access to a small or medium-sized dog as well. Finally, the cost of the product is another limitation. Though extremely well built, it is indeed a costly product with a price comparable to the microchip feeders.
Additional options for microchip cat feeders and dog proof cat feeders
In addition to the top microchip cat feeders and dog-proof cat feeders currently available in the market, there are a few other options you can consider to prevent food-stealing among pets.
Cat doors are specially-designed pet openings that allow the feline to enter or exit in a room or outdoors without hassle while preventing access to the larger-frame dogs.
Cat doors are designed with wider frames when compared to other types of pet doors and have harder see-through flaps. Cat doors are available for both interior and exterior doors. And some of them even have an electronic control mechanism programmed by a microchip or an RFID tag.
Cat doors are a suitable dog-proof solution if you have a separate room or basement in the house for the cat’s feeder and other essentials. And they can only work if there is a wide difference between your kitty’s and dog’s size. Moreover, they are not the best solutions if you have multiple cats and you are looking to prevent food stealing.
Some of the best dog-proof cat doors to consider are:
- PetSafe Interior and Exterior Cat Door: High-quality, US-made, plastic-frame cat interior or exterior cat door with a sturdy construction. Available in two-way or four-way lock designs (locked, unlocked, entry-only and exit-only) that provide cat private access to the litter box or food while keeping the dogs and kids out. Installs on any door or wall that is 0.06″ – 2.12″ thick. Available in multiple sizes suitable for cats up to 15 – 25 lbs. It is also available with microchip access control. Comes with the required hardware for installation.
- The Kitty Pass Interior Cat Door: Cute-looking flap-less cat door with a feline-shaped design. Installs on any interior door that is 1.25″ – 1.75″ thick. Available with an opening size of 7.5″ x 6.5″ that is suitable for most cats up to 20-25 lbs. Comes with the required hardware for installation and a beautiful semi-gloss white finish.
- SureFlap – Sure Petcare Microchip Cat Flap Door: Selective-entry smart cat door with microchip-based access and 4-way locking mechanism. Programmable to allow access to up to 32 pets. Installs on any interior door and available with an opening size of 4.75″ x 5.63″ that is suitable for most cats up to 15-18 lbs. Powered by 4 AA non-rechargeable alkaline batteries, that can last for up to 1 year. Available in two colors – white and brown and backed by a 3-year warranty. A Dual-scan model is also available for non-microchipped cats.
Pet gates and door latches
A dog-proof cat door latch is another product that can work to keep the dog and kids out of the cat’s feeder and/or litter box if you have a separate door-separated room for your cat or cats. This latch essentially keeps the door open with just enough space for the cat to slip through while being too narrow for the dog. And like cat doors and pet gates, cat door latches work only if there is a wide size difference between the cats and dogs.
Door Buddy Adjustable Door Strap and Latch is the best-selling door strap and latch system in the market and probably the only option you need to look at if such as dog-proof cat feeding solution would work for you.
Finally, if you have a suitable alley or pathway to install a pet gate, you can consider setting up the cat’s litter box outside it and use a dog-proof pet gate. Carlson Extra Wide Walk Through Pet Gates are the best-selling options in the market, available in various sizes with 5″ x 5″ or larger push-through cat doors built-in them to give cat free access through them while keeping the dogs and kids away.
On the other hand, if you are looking for a temporary arrangement or live in a rented accommodation, then you can look at a flexible pet door such as the Queenii Pet Safety Guard Gate to create a separation between pets such as cats and dogs.
Finally, if you are someone who loves Do-It-Yourself (DIY) projects, then you can also build a dog-proof cat feeder with a covered plastic Rubbermaid box. Other options include setting-up the kitty feeding station on the cat-tree or kitchen counter slabs. You can also rely on feeding the different pets in different rooms, if that works fine.
Things to remember while using tag-based and microchip cat feeders
In order to ensure that you have a successful experience with getting your pet to use a tag or microchip cat feeder, you need to keep a few things in mind. Some of the major considerations are discussed below. Also, make sure you check our article on the best automatic pet feeders for some alternate smart pet feeder options:
- Before opting for a specific selective pet feeder, check the size of the animal supported by it. Some tag/microchip pet feeders can only support pets of specific height and neck size. You can generally get this information from the product description or user manual on the manufacturer’s website. You can also contact the seller for details.
- RFID tag-based automatic cat feeders would require your pet to wear the tag in its collar. If your pet is uncomfortable with such an arrangement, you may want to look only at the microchip-based, SureFlap SureFeed Pet Feeder and non-electronic selective pet feeders.
- Make sure you save the user manual, and installation instructions that come with the automatic cat feeders for future consultation and setup. In case of any challenges, refer to the FAQ section on the manufacturer’s website or contact the customer service.
- While feeding, the tag of the automatic cat feeder may accidentally dangle below the sensor detection level, causing the access control lid to close on the pet. You may have to improvise a little to minimize this. Refer to the review feedback by other pet owners on how you can avoid such situations. They have some excellent designs already employed.
- Not all tags of the automatic pet feeders are waterproof. Tags that have replaceable batteries are only water-resistant, so if you are using wet feed, the tag can accidentally get wet and not work. You may want to employ some improvisations to avoid this if your pet is on a wet diet.
- Keep the smart feeder away from the “enemy lines” – away from the pet that likes to steal food. Though some smart automatic feeders have intruder detection mechanisms, such mechanisms may not be sufficient to deter a determined food thief.
- Clean the panels, access control lids and feeding bowls of the feeder regularly. If you are going to use water, remove the batteries before cleaning the feeder.
- Check the batteries of the tag and feeder (if any) regularly to ensure that the feeder does not restrict food access inadvertently.
- Keep an eye on the overall weight and behavior of the pet. If for some reason your pet shows signs of weight loss, it is possible that the feeder is not working as expected and you may have to monitor and troubleshoot the problem.
Following the above tips and tricks would considerably improve your chances of success by using a selective or microchip pet feeder for your multi-pet home. For some more tips and tricks refer to the user manual of your specified cat food dispenser or tag-based/microchip cat feeder.
Final thoughts on the best microchip cat feeders and dog-proof cat feeders for multi-pet homes
A pet stealing the food of the other is a major challenge for multi-pet homes, especially if you have a dog that loves to gobble the feline food, or one of your cats is on a specialized prescription diet or asked to lose some weight. For such situations, you need a selective cat food dispenser which can control the access to the food to only the designated pet. RFID tag-based microchip cat feeders and selective cat feeding stations are exactly meant for such situations.
In this article, we looked at some of the best microchip cat feeders and dog-proof cat feeders available in the market at this time. Since such feeders are an emerging pet gear, there are only a handful of successful models in the market. We discussed the main features of such automatic cat feeders and some of the tips and tricks to ensure their successful use.
We hope that you found this article useful and it will help you in picking the best dog-proof cat feeder or microchip cat feeder for your furry friend. Do let us know your feedback by commenting below. Until later, happy chow time with your beloved pet!