Best dog balls for playing fetch reviewed
Playing fetch is one of the best entertainment activity for your dog and playing fetch with balls is probably the most engaging for your dog. After all, balls bounce around and are free from edges so they are easy on the pet’s teeth and gums and can withstand chewing. These balls also help in managing the destructive instincts of canines such as incessant barking and prevent them from chewing upon the household items.
But with so many different options available, which are the best dog balls for playing fetch?
In this article, we look at some of the best dog balls available in the market for playing fetch. These dog fetch toys are suitable for most adult dog breeds, ranging from gentle and moderate chewers to aggressive chewers such as Terriers, Labradors, Beagles, Golden Retrievers, even Pitbulls. We will also look at some of the factors to consider while picking the best dog ball for your canine and share our top picks!
And do not forget to check out our article on the best ball launchers to see how some of these dog fetch toys can be coupled with launchers for great outdoor fun for you and your beloved pet.
Best dog balls for playing fetch listSome of the best dog toy balls for playing fetch are listed below:
|West Paw Design Jive Zogoflex Dog Ball||S: 2”|
|Planet Dog Orbee-Tuff Dog Ball||S: 2.25”|
|Chuckit Kick Fetch Dog Toy Ball||S: 5.5”|
|KONG Extreme Rubber Dog Ball||S: 2.5”|
|KONG Jumbler Dog Toy Ball||M/L: 5.5”|
|Gnawsome Squeaker Dog Ball Toy||S: 2.5"|
|Allstar Innovations Wobble Wag Giggle Dog Ball||5.5”|
|Omega Paw Tricky Treat Dog Ball||S: 2.5"|
|Rocco and Roxie Dog Toy Ball||S: 2.5”|
|Monster K9 Indestructible Dog Ball||L: 2.75”|
|Hartz Dura Play Scented Dog Ball||S: 3.5" x 2.6" x 6.25"|
M: 3" x 4.13" x 8"
L: 4.5" x 4 x 8"
|Jolly Pets Soccer Dog Toy Ball||S: 6”|
Which are the best dog balls for playing fetch?
West Paw Design Jive Zogoflex Dog Ball: Best dog ball for playing fetch
Buy It on Chewy
Size: Small: 2”; Medium: 2.6”; Large: 3.25”
- Best-selling dog toy ball. Made in the US with BPA, BPS and Phthalate-free non-toxic and FDA compliant thermoplastic.
- Virtually Indestructible dog toy ball.
- Dishwasher safe and 100% recyclable.
- Bounces long. Unique shape creates unpredictable bounce.
- Available in three sizes and four vibrant colors.
- 100% guarantee against dog damage and backed by the manufacturer through a one-time replacement policy.
West Paw Design is one of our favorite pet toy manufacturer and offers a bunch of interesting fetch toys for dogs. In addition to their Zogoflex Zisc Flying disc, we really love the Zogoflex Jive ball.
All Zogoflex series toys from West Paw Designs are made from their proprietary thermoplastic blend made in the US. This material is latex, BPA and Phthalate-free, non-toxic and FDA compliant, so you need not worry about the safety of the material. It is also 100% recyclable and available for recycling through the manufacturer’s closed-loop recycling program, Join the Loop.
The Zogoflex Jive has an interesting design which produces an unpredictable bounce every time it is thrown. This erratic bounce does not mean that the bounce dies down quickly – it is designed to bounce long. This long erratic bounce would keep your dog mentally and physically engaged for long.
The Zogoflex Jive dog toy ball is available in three sizes – 2-inch small, 2.6-inch medium and 3.25-inch large. The small-sized ball can fit small ball launchers while the medium sized ball would fit all standard ball launchers and dense enough to go the distance. This is especially useful if you want to use it with the launchers for long-distance outdoor play.
All the Jive dog balls are available in one of the four vibrant colors that are easy to spot, even in evenings or early-mornings.
Like all Zogoflex products, the Jive ball is dishwasher safe (top shelf). And probably the best feature is that it is 100% guaranteed against dog damage and is backed by the manufacturer through a one-time replacement policy. So if the flying disc gets damaged by your dog, you can get it replaced once without having to pay anything. That is pretty cool!
If you are looking for a lighter, softer fetch ball that floats, you can check out the West Paw Design Zogoflex Air Boz, which is a lighter version of the Jive dog ball.
- Made in the US with high-quality BPA, Latex and Phthalate-free material. 100% recyclable.
- Smart design produces long, unpredictable bounce.
- Dishwasher safe and designed to be drool and slobber proof.
- Available in three sizes and four vibrant colors. Compatible with ball launchers.
- Backed by a one-time replacement warranty against dog damage.
- Heavier, hard-shell construction may not be suitable for puppies and small dogs.
- Costlier than most other fetch balls, but you get what you pay for.
Planet Dog Orbee-Tuff Dog Ball: Best soft dog ball for playing fetch
Buy It on Chewy
Size: Small: 2.25”; Medium: 2.9”; Large: 4.0”
- Smartly designed dog toy ball. Made in the US with BPA, latex Phthalate-free proprietary Orbee-tuff material that is soft yet extremely durable. 100% recyclable material.
- Unique continent-shaped contours on the surface produce a variable bounce. Bounces high and long.
- Lightweight, dishwasher safe and can float on water.
- Available in three sizes and three vibrant color combinations, including a glow orange combination that glows after charging in bright light.
- Backed by a lifetime guarantee against dog damage.
If you are looking for a softer dog toy ball, then you have to check out the Planet Dog Orbee-Tuff Dog Ball, popularly known as the Orbee ball. This ball is soft and squishy, but still extremely durable to survive some gnawing and chewing, even by aggressive chewers.
The Orbee-Tuff Dog ball is made in the US with recycled Orbee-Tuff proprietary material which is non-toxic, BPA, Phthalate and Latex free, so you need not worry about your dog chewing over it. The Orbee-Tuff material is fully recyclable.
The Orbee-Tuff ball is soft, hollow and relatively light, meaning that it would not harm the teeth and gums of your dog. It also floats on water and is dishwasher safe. It bounces high and long and has unique continent-shaped contours on the surface to produce a variable bounce and keep your dog entertained and engaged. A tapered hole in the center ensures that it is easy for your canine to hold onto. The hole can double up as a treat dispenser as well.
The Orbee-Tuff ball is available in three sizes and three vibrant color combinations. The color combinations include a glow-orange combination that glows after charging in bright light, making it suitable for night time play. The mid-sized Orbee ball can fit in a ball launcher, though its lighter weight means it would not go as far as some other balls.
The standard Orbee ball does not squeak, but there is an Orbee-Tuff Squeak dog ball also available in case you are looking for such a ball for your furry friend.
Like the West Paw Designs Jive ball, the Orbee-Tuff balls are guaranteed for life, meaning that if the ball gets damaged, you can get a replacement or refund. This is a big testament to the quality of this ball.
- High-quality ball made with non-toxic, BPA, Phthalate and Latex free material.
- Soft, squishy and extremely light, so suitable for all dog breeds.
- Designed to bounce long and high. Floats on water and dishwasher safe.
- Available in three sizes and three vibrant color combinations including a glow-in-the-dark combination.
- Costlier than most other fetch toy balls.
- Hollow and lightweight means that it does not launch long when compared to other hard fetch balls.
Chuckit Kick Fetch Dog Toy Ball
Buy It on Chewy
Size: Small: 5.5”; Large: 7.5”
- Soccer-sized, large dog ball made with high-quality rubber, EVA Foam and Polyester.
- Ridges on the side produce an unpredictable bounce and also help the pet it holding the ball in its mouth.
- Can be washed in the washing machine.
- Floats on water, so suitable for playing fetch in pools and lakes.
- Available in two sizes and two vibrant color combinations
- Most suitable for medium to large dog breeds and low to moderate chewers.
KONG Extreme Rubber Dog Ball
Buy It on Chewy
Size: Small: 2.5”; Large: 3.0”
- Rubber dog fetch ball, made in the US made with high-quality 100% natural Kong rubber
- Comes with a hole in the center and designed to withstand aggressive chewing.
- Symmetrical design makes it bounce long and high.
- Available in two sizes and two standard Kong colors – Black and Red.
- Works well with ball launchers, with the small tennis-sized ball suitable for all standard ball launchers.
- Backed by a 30-day satisfaction guarantee.
KONG Jumbler Dog Toy Ball
Buy It on Chewy
Size: Medium/Large: 5.5”; Large/Xtra-Large: 7.0”
- Mini-soccer sized squeak dog ball. Made in the US, two-in-one ball toy with a tennis ball enclosed in a high-quality thermoplastic squeaker.
- Unique squeaker and interior tumbler create an erratic and unpredictable motion.
- Has handles on the outside for easy pickup and shaking by the dog.
- Designed to float on water, so suitable for water play.
- Suitable for medium chewers, though can withstand some heavy gnawing as well.
Gnawsome Squeaker Dog Ball Toy
Buy It on Chewy
Size: Small: 2.5”; Medium: 3.5”; Large: 4.5”
- Squeaker pet ball made of BPA-free TPR (Thermo-Plasticized Rubber).
- Features a loud internal squeaker with a gum-massaging, soft spiky texture which stimulates blood flow and improves dental health.
- Available in three sizes and vibrant assorted colors.
- Suitable for all dog breeds and light to moderate chewers. Recommended to wash before first use.
Allstar Innovations Wobble Wag Giggle Dog Ball
- Popular giggling squeak dog ball, Made in China with flexible and durable BPA, Phthalate-free Vinyl.
- Tubes inside ball produce a giggling sound when rolled or shaken.
- Has 6 clutch pockets for dogs to pick up the ball. Best for roll-and-pick play.
- Can be cleaned by wiping or rinsing it with warm water, but not for submerging.
- Suitable for low to moderate chewers only and medium to large dog breeds.
Omega Paw Tricky Treat Dog Ball
Buy It on Chewy
Size: Small: 2.5”; Medium: 3.5”; Large: 5.0”
- Treat dispensing, dog toy ball made of soft, yet durable Vinyl.
- Easy to fill with dry treats, which are smartly dispensed as the ball is rolled.
- Available in three sizes and vibrant orange color.
- Suitable for all dog breeds and light to moderate chewers.
Rocco and Roxie Dog Toy Ball
Buy It on Chewy
Size: Small: 2.5”; Large: 4.0”
- High-quality dog fetch ball. Made in the US with non-toxic BPA, Phthalate-free thermoplastic elastomer (TPE).
- Has an asymmetrical tapered hole in the center. Bounces long and high.
- Soft and non-marking so can be used in indoors as well.
- Designed to withstand heavy chewing and gnawing.
- Available in two sizes and blue/powder blue color.
- 100% guaranteed and backed by one-time lifetime replacement.
Monster K9 Indestructible Dog Ball
Buy It on Chewy
Size: Large: 2.75”; X-Large: 3.15”
- Durable dog ball made of 100% natural, non-toxic rubber.Made in the US.
- Solid-core design that bounces high and long on any solid surface.
- Available in two sizes and vibrant orange color.
- Designed to withstand chewing and gnawing.Suitable for all dog breeds and light to moderate chewers.
- Backed by a lifetime moneyback guarantee.
Hartz Dura Play Scented Dog Ball
Size: Small: 6.5”; Medium: 8”; Large: 3.25”
- Bacon-scented, squeak dog ball made with natural latex foam. Made in China.
- Unique contoured shape produces an irregular bounce.
- Soft and flexible – suitable for all dogs including teething puppies and senior dogs.
- Floats on water, so also suitable for pools and lakes.
- Available in multiple colors, with a random option shipped.
Jolly Pets Soccer Dog Toy Ball
Buy It on Chewy
Size: Small: 6”; Medium: 7”; Large: 8”
- Scented large dog ball. Made in the US with proprietary soft foam material that is durable yet soft on dog’s teeth and gums.
- Virtually indestructible dog ball toy. Designed to keep its shape even if punctured and works well with moderate and power chewers.
- Can float on water, so is suitable for pool play as well.
- Available in three different colors and scents – Green Apple, Ocean Blue and Orange. Blue option is unscented.
How to pick the best dog balls for playing fetch?
With so many options available in the market with a lot of interesting designs, picking the best dog ball for playing fetch can be a challenging task. While we have listed out only some of the best and most durable options, you can consider the following major factors before zeroing in on the best dog ball for your canine:
- Building material of the dog ball
- Size of the dog ball
- Design of the dog ball
- Additional features and considerations
Building material of the dog ball
The building material of the dog ball is an important factor to consider and is probably the primary reason for so much difference in prices of these fetch balls. After all, you would like to have a fetch ball which is high-quality, non-toxic and capable of surviving the incessant chewing and gnawing of your canine. Moreover, you do not want a hard plastic ball that can harm your dog’s teeth and gums.
All the options that we have listed are made from either thermoplastic, vinyl, rubber or a combination of such materials. Most of them are suitable for light to medium chewers and only a few can survive the aggressive chewing by adult dogs.
Still, our top two picks – West Paw Design Jive Zogoflex Dog Ball and Planet Dog Orbee-Tuff Dog Ball are virtually indestructible and known to hold up well to the chewing of most dogs and hence suitable even for aggressive chewers. Some other options such as the KONG Jumbler Ball Toy have shown varied results, with some dog owners suggesting that they can survive some serious gnawing, while others found them a little less durable.
Depending on your dog’s breed, size and habits, pick up a dog ball which is made of a material that is non-toxic, soft on your dog’s teeth and is still durable to last long.
Size of the dog ball
The size of the dog toy ball that you should opt for is the next important consideration. A small ball can easily be swallowed or become lodged in your dog’s mouth or throat, choking it. On the other hand, a bigger ball may be difficult for it to handle and can harm its teeth and jaws.
The size of the ball is largely governed by the breed of your dog and its age. So make sure you get a fetch ball that is suitable for your dog’s breed and jaw size. Thankfully, most of the options that we listed are available in different sizes, so you can pick the best one for your pet.
If you are looking for a throw-and-retrieve fetch play, a ball of size up to 2.5-2.9 inches is suitable for small and medium dog breeds. Dog balls with a diameter of 3 – 3.5 inches are best for medium to large dog breeds. Bigger dog balls with a size of 3.5+ inches would find favor with large dog breeds and power chewers such as pitbulls.
You can also opt for oversized dog balls such as Chuckit Kick Fetch Dog Toy Ball for roll-and-fetch soccer play with your beloved dog.
Make sure you get a ball which is of appropriate size as per your dog’s breed, age and size. You can generally find this information in the Q&A section of the product, wherein previous owners would have shared their responses on the size they opted for.
Design of the dog ball
With so many different shapes and designs, you have a lot of options to consider while picking the best dog ball for your pet.
We have tried to cover some really innovative and interesting designs in our pick including the standard dog toy balls that bounce long and high, dog balls with unpredictable bounce, even ones which can squeak and giggle when shaken or pressed upon. Moreover, if you so desire, you can look to pick a dog toy ball which is designed to float on water so that you can use it for pool or lake play.
Depending upon your dog’s preference for a specific design, you can pick the best dog toy ball for your pooch. It is generally a good idea to have a couple of different dog toy balls in your pet’s collection so that it can be kept entertained and engaged for long with or without your involvement.
Additional features and considerations
In addition to the major factors discussed above, there are a couple of other considerations that can make a purchase more attractive than others.
One such factor is the color combination a dog ball is available in. To dogs, red looks brownish, purple looks blue, while green, yellow and orange all look yellowish. Most of the options that we have listed are available in some really vibrant colors which are easily visible to the pet in grass, so you can pick the one as per your dog’s personality and preference.
Considering that the most dogs would chew or gnaw on these fetch balls, the warranty is an important factor. Almost all the options that we listed have decent after-sales support and you can often get a suitable response or replacement for your product in case of quality issues. Our favorite fetch toy manufacturers, West Paw Design and Planet Dog Orbee even provide 100% replacement warranty for their balls, and you can often get at least one replacement ball in case your original ball gets damaged (just remember to keep the receipt of purchase handy in case it is required). This is a major positive factor.
Since your dog would probably destroy a bunch of dog balls throughout its lifetime, getting a dog toy ball from the manufacturer that supports 100% recycling and follows environment-friendly practices is something you can also look for while picking the best choice.
Finally, you may have to clean the ball periodically to remove deposited grime, dirt and saliva. A ball that can be tossed conveniently on the top shelf of the dishwasher for cleaning would be an added advantage.
Keep these other considerations in mind while picking the best dog fetch ball for your canine.
How to teach your dog to play fetch and things to remember
Teaching your beloved pet to play fetch with a dog ball or any other toy is generally not too difficult, though some dogs show a natural knack to automatically chase and retrieve the fetch toy and hence can be trained quicker than others.
In order to train your dog to play fetch with you and ensure that playing fetch is an enjoyable bonding activity for you and your canine, please keep the following things in mind:
- Ensure that your pet is already trained to follow the basic commands. After all, you do not want your dog to get the ball and wander off. You can also check out some beginner dog training books available in the market that cover how to train your pet to play fetch.
- Always pick a dog ball that is of suitable diameter and size. Getting a ball that is too small or too big can make playing fetch uncomfortable for your pet. You can consult some trainers or fellow dog owners about their experiences.
- Since all the dog fetch balls that we listed are all bouncy, they are suitable for play in open spaces only unless of course your dog is obedient enough to engage in roll-and-play inside the house.
- Clean-up the ball periodically with soap and water. Some of the options that we listed are dishwasher safe, so can toss them up in the top shelf.
- Always play with your pet in supervision. If the ball shows signs of damage, discard it and get new ones. Also, avoid sharing of balls as it can cause infection from one dog to be transferred to the other.
- Always check that the dog toy balls are made with non-toxic material so that they are safe for your pet. We encourage you to pick the options that are made from 100% recyclable material as there are chances you would be buying a bunch of them over the years.
Following these basic guidelines would help in making fetch-play with a dog toy ball more enjoyable for you and your beloved canine companion. In addition to the tips mentioned above, you can check out the video below on how to train your dog to play fetch with you.
Final thoughts on the best dog balls for playing fetch
Playing fetch with a dog toy ball is one of the most entertaining and engaging activity for your dog. In this article, we looked at some of the most durable and entertaining dog toy balls for playing fetch. These high-quality dog balls are designed to provide hours of fun to your beloved pet. Moreover, some of the options that we listed are durable enough for playing even when you are not around.
Most of the options that we listed are available in different sizes so you can pick one which is suitable for your dog’s size and chewing habits. We also briefly looked at some of the factors to consider while picking the best dog balls and shared our top picks. Considering that these fetch toys are not very costly, you are better-off picking a couple of dog fetch balls at one time to keep your pooch entertained.
We hope that you found this article useful and it would help you in picking the best dog balls for playing fetch with your pooch. Do let us know your feedback and questions by commenting below. Until next time, have a playful time with your beloved furry friend!
One thought on “Best dog balls for playing fetch reviewed”
Pingback: 10 best interactive dog toys - Puzzle toys and feeders (Updated 2018)
Comments are closed.