If you are the proud parent of one or more cats along with a dog, then you know the challenge associated with preventing the canine from raiding your kitty’s litter box. Be it the gross habit of ingesting feline feces or simply digging through the litter, your dog can be a menace around the litter box. A dog-proof cat litter box is exactly what you need for such situations.
But which are the best dog-proof cat litter boxes to keep your house clean and the kitty happy? Are there any other cat litter solutions that can help in keeping the canine away from the cat litter box?
In this article, we will look at some of the best dog-proof cat litter boxes and litter solutions available in the market to keep the litter box safe from dogs. We will list the most popular types and designs of these ingenious cat litter boxes and also briefly discuss the major factors to keep in mind before picking the best dog-proof cat litter box for your multi-pet home. Read on!
Do not forget to check out our article on the best cat litter boxes for a discussion on the different types of cat litter boxes available in the market.
Best dog-proof cat litter boxes and litter solutions listSome of the best dog-proof cat litter boxes and litter solutions to keep your dog out of the cat’s litter box are listed below:
|Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan
|Covered, Side-entry cat litter box
22.4" x 18.3" x 17".
Door: 10.4" x 9.6".
|Modkat Flip Litter Box
|Covered, Side-entry configurable cat litter box.
20" x 15.0" x 16.8".
Door: 8” x 10”.
|IRIS Top Entry Cat Litter Box
|Covered, Top-entry cat litter box.
M: 17.3" x 13.4" x 12.2"
L: 20.5” x 16.1” x 14.6”.
|Petmate Clean Step Litter Dome
|Covered, Dome cat litter box.
20" x 24" x 19".
Door: 13" x 7"- 8".
|pidan Cat Litter Box
|Covered, Igloo Dome cat litter box.
21.57" x 21.57" x 19.39".
Door: 8” x 8.33”.
|Litter-Robot III Open-Air Self-Cleaning Litter Box
|Automatic cat litter box.
29.2" x 24.1" x 26.7".
|PetSafe ScoopFree Self Cleaning Litter Box
|Automatic cat litter box.
27.5" x 19" x 7".
|Merry Pet Cat Washroom Bench
|Cat litter box enclosure.
37.4" x 21.3" x 22.6".
Side cat door.
Double-panel utility door.
|The Refined Feline Refined Litter Box
|Cat litter box enclosure.
L: 27.5" x 20.2" x 28.2".
XL: 33.5" x 23.0" x 28.5".
Side cat door.
Double-panel utility door.
|PetSafe Interior and Exterior Cat Door
|Interior and Exterior cat door with 4-way or microchip locking.
Door: 7.1" x 7.25".
Other models are also available.
Price: $ to $$.
|The Kitty Pass Interior Cat Door
|Interior cat door without a flap.
Door: 7.5” x 6.5”
|SureFlap - Sure Petcare Microchip Cat Flap Door
|Interior cat door with microchip-controlled flap.
Door: 4.75” x 5.63”.
Dual-scan model is also available for non-microchipped cats.
|Door Buddy Adjustable Door Strap and Latch
|Cat door latch and strap system.
5.2” x 0.6” x 9.3”.
2” - 4” adjustable door opening.
|Carlson Extra Wide Walk Through Pet Gate
|Small-pet walkthrough gate.
29 – 36.5” x 1” x 31”.
Door: 8” x 8”.
Price: $ to $$.
Other sizes are also available.
Why do you need a dog-proof cat litter box or litter solution?
Before we look at the best dog-proof cat litter boxes and litter solutions available in the market, let us briefly discuss why you need such a litter box solution. There are primarily two reasons:
- Dogs have a tendency to snack through feces and have a special liking to the feline waste. If left unaddressed, this occasional activity can become a habit and lead to behavioral and health issues as the cat’s feces can contain harmful bacteria and parasites that can harm the canine.
- Some dogs love to dig, and a litter box can be an attractive place to dig and create a mess. This digging can be triggered by boredom or by a dislike towards the cat’s possessions.
An effective dog-proof cat litter solution can not only help in overcoming these challenges and prevent the dog from raiding the litter box, but also help in developing a boundary between the cat’s possessions such as feeders, sleeping bed, and the dogs. Moreover, most dog-proof cat litter boxes also help in reducing litter tracking.
In the next sections, we will list different types of dog-proof cat litter boxes and litter solutions and also discuss some major factors to keep in mind before picking the best dog-proof cat litter box or litter solution for your needs.
Which are the best dog-proof cat litter boxes and litter solutions?
Covered cat litter boxes
Covered, enclosed or hooded cat litter boxes are exactly what their name says – these litter boxes offer an enclosed toilet to the kitty to do its business. By design, covered cat litter boxes offer the cats a lot more privacy.
But that is not all – they offer better odor control because of their covered designs and are aesthetically pleasing. They also help in reducing litter tracking. Finally, because of a restricted side or top-entry, these litter boxes also offer protection against an invading pooch.
Covered or enclosed cat litter boxes are available in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and designs. Three of the most popular designs that also work well as the best dog-proof cat litter boxes are discussed below. For more options, you can check out our article on the best cat litter boxes.
Side-entry cat litter boxes
These are the most common and popular types of cat litter boxes and have an entrance in the front or one of the sides with or without a door flap. These designs that work especially well for medium to large cats.
Some of the best dog-proof, side-entry cat litter boxes that you can consider are listed below:
- Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan: High-quality, jumbo-sized litter box with a large enough space for accommodating multiple cats at the same time. A large entrance door with a removable flap cover offers privacy and comfortable entrance while preventing free access to an inquisitive canine. Also features a carbon-impregnated filter to remove odors and unpleasant smells from the litter box.
- Modkat Flip Litter Box: Premium, side-entry cat litter box offers a unique design with a spacious interior and three lid positions – fully open, half-open or completely-closed), to satisfy any cat’s preference. Elevated side-entry prevents access to a medium to large-sized dog. Suitable for all adult cats up to 25 lbs. Comes with one reusable liner and a high-quality scoop. The patent-pending hook and liner system keeps the liners securely in place. The Liners are rip-resistant and easy to clean. Elegantly designed, but costlier than most other covered cat litter boxes.
Top-entry cat litter boxes
Top-entry cat litter boxes are one of the most private enclosed cat litter boxes. As the name suggests, they have a totally enclosed container with a door/hole on the top for the cat to enter. These litter boxes are best at minimizing litter tracking. They are also perfect for multi-pet homes as they provide almost total protection from the chances of a dog invading the cat litter box.
IRIS Top Entry Cat Litter Box is one example of a high-quality cat litter box. Available in two sizes, this litter box has a unique rounded shape with a convenient top entry. The litter box also features grooves on the lid to prevent the litter from scattering when the cats leave the litter box. Also has an attachable hook to hang the included litter scoop for quick and easy cleaning. Available in over five elegant colors.
Dome cat litter boxes
Dome-shaped covered cat litter boxes are a relatively new design for covered cat litter boxes that features a dome/igloo-shaped litter container with a stairway/ramp to enter and exit the litter box.
These litter boxes offer excellent odor containment and are virtually dog-proof. They are also suitable for injured and senior cats and kittens who are not comfortable jumping to access a top entrance. The only limitation with these covered cat litter boxes is that they need more effort while cleaning because of the irregular shape.
Two of the most popular, dog-proof dome-shaped cat litter boxes to check out are:
- Petmate Clean Step Litter Dome: Unique, dome-shaped covered cat litter box with an access ramp that catches litter from cat‘s feet and prevents tracking, while offering complete privacy and protection from an invading adult dog (may not work with the toy or x-small dogs). Features an easy-to-clean plastic construction, with a built-in handle. Also comes with a replaceable charcoal filter to minimize odors. A liner is also included with the pack.
- pidan Cat Litter Box: Award-winning, Igloo-shaped premium cat litter box with a patented grated doorway design that prevents litter tracking and keeps the dogs away from the “waste finger snacks”. Sturdy PP-plastic construction with the Japanese Ion-pure technology finish. Suitable for all cats up to 17 lbs. and available in four elegant color combinations.
Automatic self-cleaning cat litter boxes
One of the ways by which you can discourage your dog from invading your cat’s litter box is to remove the feces as soon as possible after the use. Automatic cat litter boxes are designed to accomplish exactly that.
Automatic self-cleaning cat litter boxes, as the name suggested, refer to cat litter boxes that do not require frequent sifting and scooping to remove the cat feces and urine clumps from the litter box.
These smart automatic cat litter boxes rely either on the rotating cleaning mechanism or the raking cleaning mechanism to automatically sift the litter. These automatic cat litter boxes offer maximum convenience to the owners as they require minimal attention. They are however pretty costly – about 5-10 times costlier than standard litter boxes.
Self-cleaning cat litter boxes are a perfect choice for multi-pet homes and households with working pet parents. For best results, you might want to opt for covered automatic cat litter boxes to provide extra protection against an incursion by your canine.
The Litter-Robot III Open-Air Self-Cleaning Litter Box and PetSafe ScoopFree Self Cleaning Litter Box are two of the best automatic cat litter boxes that also work well for discouraging the dogs from accessing the litter box. The covered PetSafe ScoopFree automatic cat litter box is now also available in a top-entry model while the uncovered cat litter box has gone through a major design revamp for a more effective and efficient Second-generation model.
For more details on these types of litter boxes, you can check our detailed article on the best self-cleaning cat litter boxes.
Cat Litter Box Enclosures/Furniture
Cat litter box enclosures are specially-designed hard-case litter box containers made of wood or other wood-based products that can be used to store the kitty’s litter box and/or litter supplies and keep them away from an inquisitive dog. They can work with standard uncovered litter trays, covered litter boxes and even self-cleaning automatic cat litter boxes.
Cat litter box furniture enclosures are generally made of solid wood, particle wood, Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF plywood) or similar products. Solid wood litter box furniture is more durable, heavier and eclectic. MDF plywood enclosures tend to be lighter and are considerably cheaper. Almost all cat litter box enclosures have a Microban coating and special moisture-resistant paint or polish to provide weather protection.
Cat litter box furniture enclosures are the most fashionable types of litter box containers. Because of their more-enclosed design, these litter box containers offer more privacy to the pets while doing the business and protect the litter box from a raid by a larger pet like a dog. They can also double up as living room furniture, TV stand or end table and add to the home décor while hiding your kitty’s not so aesthetic litter box.
It is important to remember that while cat litter box enclosures are covered and discreet, they require regular cleanup and care and can only be used with an already litter-trained cat, or cats, that is not very aggressive. Moreover, these enclosures tend to be costlier than most covered litter boxes.
For more options and details on these elegant cat litter furniture, you can check out our article on the best cat litter box furniture.
Cat doors are specially-designed pet openings that allow the feline to enter or exit in a room or outdoors without hassle while preventing access to the larger-frame dogs.
Cat doors are designed with wider frames when compared to other types of pet doors and have harder see-through flaps. Cat doors are available for both interior and exterior doors. And some of them even have an electronic control mechanism programmed by a microchip or an RFID tag.
Cat doors are a suitable dog-proof solution if you have a separate room or basement in the house for the cat’s litter box and other essentials. And it can only work if there is a wide difference between your kitty’s and dog’s size.
Some of the best dog-proof cat doors to consider are:
- PetSafe Interior and Exterior Cat Door: High-quality, US-made, plastic-frame cat interior or exterior cat door with a sturdy construction. Available in two-way or four-way lock designs (locked, unlocked, entry-only and exit-only) that provide cat private access to the litter box or food while keeping the dogs and kids out. Installs on any door or wall that is 0.06″ – 2.12″ thick. Available in multiple sizes suitable for cats up to 15 – 25 lbs. Also available with microchip access control. Comes with the required hardware for installation.
- The Kitty Pass Interior Cat Door: Cute-looking flap-less cat door with a feline-shaped design. Installs on any interior door that is 1.25″ – 1.75″ thick. Available with an opening size of 7.5″ x 6.5″ that is suitable for most cats up to 20-25 lbs. Comes with the required hardware for installation and a beautiful semi-gloss white finish.
- SureFlap – Sure Petcare Microchip Cat Flap Door: Selective-entry smart cat door with microchip-based access and 4-way locking mechanism. Programmable to allow access to up to 32 pets. Installs on any interior door and available with an opening size of 4.75″ x 5.63″ that is suitable for most cats up to 15-18 lbs. Powered by 4 AA non-rechargeable alkaline batteries, that can last for up to 1 year. Available in two colors – white and brown and backed by a 3-year warranty. A Dual-scan model is also available for non-microchipped cats.
Pet gates and door latches
A dog-proof cat door latch is another product that can work to keep the dog and kids out of the cat’s litter box and/or feeder if you have a separate door-separated room for your cat or cats. This latch essentially keeps the door open with just enough space for the cat to slip through while being too narrow for the dog. And like cat doors and pet gates, cat door latches work only if there is a wide size difference between the cats and dogs.
Door Buddy Adjustable Door Strap and Latch is the best-selling door strap and latch system in the market and probably the only option you need to look at if such as dog-proof litter solution would work for you.
Finally, if you have a suitable alley or pathway to install a pet gate, you can consider setting up the cat’s litter box outside it and use a dog-proof pet gate. Carlson Extra Wide Walk Through Pet Gates are the best-selling options in the market, available in various sizes with 5″ x 5″ or larger push-through cat doors built-in them to give cat free access through them while keeping the dogs and kids away.
On the other hand, if you are looking for a temporary arrangement or live in a rented accommodation, then you can look at a flexible pet door such as the Queenii Pet Safety Guard Gate to create a separation between pets such as cats and dogs.
Additional tips and tricks for dog-proof litter solutions
In addition to using a dog-proof cat litter box or litter solution, there are some additional tips and tricks that you can try out to discourage the dog from invading the cat’s litter box.
- Sift, scoop and clean the litter box more frequently: The longer the urine and feces sit in the litter box, the more likely are the chances of the canine getting a chance to ingest or spill it, leading to a mess. Sifting and scooping the litter box quickly and regularly, preferably once or twice daily to remove the clumps of cat waste can help in preventing your dog from invading the litter box. If you have multiple cats sharing a litter box, you should increase the frequency of cleaning proportionally.
- Place the cat litter box as an elevation: One of the key skills that a cat has is the ability to jump and climb. So you can consider placing the cat’s litter box on an elevated station such as a counter or table.
- Get more cat litter boxes: Having more cat litter boxes can help limit the odor and attraction for the dog. The general rule of thumb on the number of cat litter boxes is to have as many litter boxes as the number of cats plus one (except in the case of self-cleaning litter boxes which multiple cats can share).
- Use a cat litter deodorizing solution: Using a cat litter deodorizer or any other solution such as baking soda can also help in reducing the litter odor and attraction to the dogs.
- Keep the dog engaged: Some dogs may choose to invade your kitty’s litter box just out of boredom and lack of attention. Keeping the dog engaged by using interactive dog toys and playing with them more frequently can go a long way in discouraging this behavior.
How to pick the best dog-proof cat litter box or litter solution
A dog-proof cat litter box or litter solution can go a long way in making things a lot more comfortable and convenient for your multi-pet home. But picking the right dog-proof cat litter solution is important.
Some of the major factors to consider before picking the best dog-proof cat litter box or litter solution are listed below:
- Number, age, and size of the cats: The size, number, and age of the cats can govern the type of litter solution that you can opt for. For example, if you have a kitten or a senior cat, you might have to opt for a side-entry cat litter box as a kitten or senior cat may not jump comfortably enough to access a top-entry litter box. Similarly, a large cat requires a litter box with a large entry door or hole.
- Size of the dog: The size of the dog, specifically the size difference between the dog and cat, is also equally important. If you have a dog that is of comparable size, then a solution like a door latch or cat door might not work and you would have to opt for an enclosed cat litter box.
- Availability of spare cat room: You can opt for dog-proof litter solutions like cat doors, door latches, and pet doors only if you have a spare room for keeping your cat’s litter box or feeding station, as these solutions rely on size-difference accessibility for cats.
- Ease of installation, cleaning, and maintenance: The ease of setting up a cat litter solution is also something you might want to consider. Automatic cat litter boxes need access to a power supply. Similarly, cat doors, latches and pet doors require a more thorough installation process. Finally, cat litter box enclosures, top or side-entry cat litter boxes require regular cleaning and maintenance which may be more involved than as required for standard cat litter pans. Keep these things in mind before picking the best dog-proof cat litter box.
- Price/Budget: The price and budget is also something that might also be an important consideration. Not all dog-proof cat litter solutions are cheap, and some require considerable investment on your part.
- Additional Considerations: In addition to the major considerations discussed above, there are some additional factors that can make a purchase more attractive than others. This includes the colors and styles a litter box is available in, the accessories like scoops and liners that come with the litter box and the warranty and after sales-support offered on the product by the manufacturer. Keep all these factors also in mind before picking the best dog-proof cat litter box or litter solution for your multi-pet home.
Final thoughts on the best dog-proof cat litter boxes and litter solutions for multi-pet homes
If you are a proud parent of more than one pet that includes both cats and dogs, then one of the things that you need to worry about is to ensure that the canine does not raid the kitty litter box. Thankfully, there are some excellent dog-proof cat litter solutions available in the market to help with such requirements. But picking the right dog-proof cat litter box is important.
In this article, we looked at some of the best dog-proof cat litter boxes and litter solutions to keep your dog away from the kitty’s litter box. We listed the most popular types of dog-proof litter solutions – ranging from covered litter boxes, self-cleaning automatic litter boxes, cat litter box enclosure, and cat doors.
These litter solutions can not only help you in keeping the litter box inaccessible for the pet dog but also help in keeping your cat(s) happy and your house clean.
We hope that you found this article useful and it would help you in picking the best dog-proof cat litter box or litter solution for your kitty. Do let us know your feedback and questions by commenting below. Until next time, have a playful spell with your darling kitty!
Image credits: Amazon.com