In our earlier article on the best dog doormats, we saw how a dog doormat can help in getting the mud and dirt off your dog’s paws. But what if you are looking for a paw cleaner or washer for a more thorough cleaning of your pooch’s paws? And what about a portable paw cleaner that you can keep on hand for hiking, walks, or a trip to the park?
In this article, we will look at some of the best dog paw cleaners and paw washers available in the market that can help in capturing the mud and muck off your canine’s paws and keeping your pet healthy and house clean.
We will also discuss the major factors to consider before picking the best dog paw cleaner or washer for your needs and share our top picks.
Also check out our article on the best dog towels for another related product to keep your doggie dry and clean in all seasons.
Best dog paw cleaners listSome of the best dog paw cleaners and paw washers available in the market for cleaning dirty and muddy paws are listed below:
|Dexas MudBuster Portable Dog Paw Cleaner||S: 3.65” wide, 4.3” tall.|
M: 4” wide, 6” tall.
L: 4.75” wide, 8.85” tall.
|Wild Heart Brushless Dog Paw Wash||S: 4.5” wide, 7.2” tall.|
L: 4.5” wide, 11” tall.
|Paw Plunger Portable Dirty Paw Washer||S: 3.5” wide, 4” tall.|
M: 5.75” wide, 6.25” tall.
L: 6.5” wide, 9.6” tall
|Ski Innovations Paw Boss Wash for Dogs||3.5” wide, 2.25” deep.|
11.8" x 11.8" x 3.5", 72 fl.oz. reservoir.
|Paw Legend 2-in-1 Dog Paw Cleaner & Pet Grooming Brush||S: 4.1" x 2.9" x 2.9".|
L: 6.0" x 3.9" x 3.9".
XL: 8.6" x 4.1" x 4.1".
|Idepet Dog Paw Cleaner Cup||3.93”/4.92” wide, 6.10” tall.|
|Pupmate Paw Cleaner with Waterless Shampoo||6.8 fl.oz.|
360-degree brush head.
|Petribe Portable Dog Paw Cleaner||7.0 fl. oz.|
360-degree brush head.
|Warren London Paw Sani-Scrub Cleanser||8.0 fl. oz.|
Separate scrub brush.
What are dog paw cleaners and paw washers and how can they be useful?
Dog paw cleaners, or dog paw washers as they are often called, are specially-designed cleaning systems to thoroughly clean a pet’s dirty and muddy paws effectively and efficiently. These paw washers provide a quick and convenient way to get the grime off the canine’s paws and keep the paws clean and healthy.
Dog paw cleaners and washers are especially useful for dogs (and cats too) who have thick fur on their legs and one who loves to play a “little dirty” during their outdoor excursions. They also work well in winters to remove the ice salt from the pet’s paws. Moreover, they are also effective in keeping the vehicles clean while traveling with dogs.
And most of them also work well for cats (at least the ones that do not mind you getting their paws wet!).
There are three most common types of dog paw cleaner devices available in the market:
- Paw cleaning cups: These are the most popular and portable types of dog paw washers. Such paw cleaners consist of a cleaning cup with or without the silicone bristles. To use them, you need to add some water in the cup, insert the pet’s dirty paw (one at a time), twist or spin the cup and dab the paw dry. Paw cleaning cups are extremely portable, lightweight and compact enough to carry on outdoor trips such as hiking, camping, and beach trips. You can also use them in your house or during travel.
Dexas MudBuster Portable Dog Paw Cleaner and Wild Heart Brushless Dog Paw Wash are two examples of paw cleaning cups.
- Paw cleaning stations: These dog paw washers are built like a cleaning station that you can install or keep next to your pet’s main entry door. These paw washers essentially have a cleaning reservoir that can be filled with soapy or shampoo-ed water, and a deep hole to put the dirty paw in. They also have a protective lid to prevent splashing and spilling.
Ski Innovations Paw Boss Wash for Dogs is an example of paw cleaning stations.
- Waterless-shampoo paw cleaners: These types of paw cleaners have a soft, silicone brush head mounted on a waterless shampoo and conditioner bottle. To clean, you spray the shampoo foam on the pet’s paw and scrub a little with the brush. No-rinsing or water is required. The shampoo used in such dog paw cleaners is hypoallergenic, non-toxic and totally safe to use on the paws of almost all dog and cat breeds of all age groups.
Pupmate Paw Cleaner with Waterless Shampoo and Petribe Portable Dog Paw Cleaner are two examples of such dog paw cleaners.
In the next sections, we will look at some of the best dog paw cleaners and paw washers available in the market and share our top picks. We would also cover the main factors to consider before picking the best dog paw cleaner for your needs and some alternatives to these paw cleaning products.
Which are the best dog paw cleaners and paw washers?
Type and material: Paw cleaning cup with a BPA-free plastic cup and securing ring and removable soft silicone brush with bristles on the inside. With or without the lid
- S: 3.65″ wide, 4.3″ tall for dogs up to 20 lbs.
- M: 4″ wide, 6″ tall for 20 – 50 lbs. dogs.
- L: 4.75″ wide, 8.85″ tall for 50 – 100 lbs. dogs.
- The silicone bristle brush is removable for cleaning.
- Available with or without the lid.
- Best-selling paw cleaning cup with a BPA-free Polycarbonate plastic cup, securing ring and removable soft silicone bristle cleaning brush. Designed by the Texas, US-based worldwide leader in plastic pet products. Made in China.
- The cleaning cup has a patented design that provides quick and efficient cleaning by adding water, plunging the dirty paw, twisting or moving the paw up and down and wiping with a soft cloth once done.
- Comes with a plastic brush-securing ring that is screwed to the cup. Soft, thick and rounded silicone bristles provide efficient cleaning and effortless paw movement. Also available with a lid for pre-filling the cleaning cup before travel.
- Easy to clean. The cleaning brush can be removed for washing by soap and water. The plastic cup base is dishwasher-safe (in the top rack).
- Available in three sizes – small fits paws up to 2 inches, medium fits paws up to 2.5 inches, and large fits paws up to 3.5 inches.
- Come in three color combinations – blue, pink and green. Backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty against defects.
When it comes to brush-based dog paw cleaning cups, the best-selling and award-winning Dexas MudBuster Portable Dog Paw Cleaner is one of the most popular choices in the market and there is a good reason for that. It is also our favorite dog paw cleaner.
The Dexas MudBuster Portable Dog Paw Cleaner features a simple portable design with a BPA-free Polycarbonate plastic cup and securing ring and removable soft silicone brush with thick bunches of removable soft silicone bristles on the inside. The paw cleaner is manufactured in China under the US-based company’s strict quality control measures.
The MudBuster has a patented design that provides quick and efficient cleaning. Unlike other paw cleaners which might have thin, pointed bristles, the MudBuster has thick, rounded bristles to ensure your pet would not feel any discomfort getting the paw in and out of the cleaning cup. To clean a paw, you just need to add water, plunge the dirty paws in the cleaning cup, twist or move the paw up and down and dab dry with a soft cloth.
The silicone brush is secured in the cup by a plastic securing ring and is removable for cleaning in running water. The plastic cup base is dishwasher-safe in the top rack. The Mudbuster is now also available in models with a lid (the original paw cleaner, did not come with a leak-proof cup lid or cap to support pre-filling beforehand and you had to carry the water separately).
The MudBuster dog paw cleaner comes in three sizes – the small fits paws up to 2 inches, medium fits paws up to 2.5 inches, and large fits paws up to 3.5 inches. At under 10 ounces and with no-frill design, the paw cleaner is quite portable and lightweight when compared to other dog paw cleaners.
The paw cleaner is available in a variety of colors – blue, green and even pink, so you have quite a few options to pick from as per your preferences.
Like other high-quality Dexas pet products, the MudBuster is backed by a one-year manufacturer warranty against defects – a testament to the superior quality of this product. And it is reasonably priced, giving you excellent quality-to-cost ratio.
Type and material: Brushless paw cleaning cup with a BPA-free polycarbonate plastic cup with a securing ring and lid and rubberized silicone squeegee opening.
- S: 4.5″ wide, 7.2″ tall for dogs up to 25 lbs.
- L: 4.5″ wide, 11″ tall for 25 -120 lbs. dogs
- Microfiber paw-cleaning and drying mitt.
- Innovative, brushless paw cleaner with a BPA, BPS and Phthalate-free polycarbonate plastic cup with a securing lid and rubberized silicone squeegee opening. Originally designed by a 12-year-old named Katie Petty (now Katie Mulich) for the school science project. Manufactured in China under the US-based company’s strict quality control measures.
- Features a patented hydraulics-based hour-glass design that creates a vortex suction of cleaning solution to scrub away dirt and mud without any brushes.
- The paw cleaner has an aperture-style rubberized silicone opening for comfortable entry and exit of paws. The cup has a leak-proof, snapping centerpiece lid to support pre-filling with water.
- Easy operation – remove the yellow top (leaving the yellow ring in place), add soapy water to the fill line, place your canine’s paw inside and pump it up and down and take out when done.
- Comes with a high-quality microfiber paw wash mitt for conveniently wiping and drying pet paws after washing.
- Easy to clean and dishwasher-safe in the top rack.
- Available in two sizes and standard transparent blue-and-yellow color combination with a royal blue mitt. Backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment.
- Premium quality and considerable costlier than other paw cleaning cups, though you get what you pay for.
How many twelve-year old’s can boast of building something for their class project that turns into a successfully productized design? Well, not many. But the Wild Heart Brushless Dog Paw Wash is exactly such a product. And it is our favorite pick for the best brushless dog paw cleaner.
The award-winning Wild Heart Brushless Dog Paw Wash features a BPA, BPS and Phthalate-free polycarbonate plastic cup with a securing lid and rubberized silicone squeegee opening. Originally designed in 2006 by the 12-year-old Katie Petty (now Katie Mulich) for the school science project, the Wild Heart Paw washer is now manufactured in China under the US-based company’s strict quality control measures.
The Wild Heart Dog Paw Wash has a unique, patented hour-glass design and does not have any bristles that some pets may find irritating.
Instead, it relies on principles of hydraulics to get the dirt and grime off the pet’s paws. Its unique hour-glass shape creates a strong vortex suction of cleaning solution to remove mud and dirt off. An aperture-style soft rubberized silicone opening provides a comfortable paw entry and exit.
Another excellent design feature that makes the Dog Paw Wash an ideal choice is that the cup comes with a leak-proof, snapping centerpiece lid to support pre-filling with a cleaning solution for travel or outstation trips. This is a big plus as you do not need to carry water and/or soap separately.
The cleaning process is convenient and effective. To clean a paw you just need to remove the centerpiece lid (leaving the securing ring in place), add soapy water to the fill line, place the canine’s paw inside and pump it up and down and take it out when done. To dry the paws thoroughly, you can use the included microfiber paw wash mitt. You can get the best cleaning results if you add some pet-friendly shampoo or soap to the water.
The Dog Paw Wash is easy to maintain and is dishwasher-safe (in the top shelf). We recommend that you do a preliminary cleanup in running water before tossing it in the dishwasher.
The Wild Heart Dog Paw Wash is available in two sizes and comes with or without the mitt, which is also sold separately.
The small size paw washer is 4.5″ wide and 7.2″ tall and suitable for dogs up to 25 lbs., while the large paw washer is 4.5″ wide and 11″ tall and suitable for 25 -120 lbs. dogs. And it is backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment – a testament to the premium quality of this product.
Type and material: Paw cleaning cup with a BPA-free plastic mug, silicone aperture-style opening and soft silicone bristles on the inside and a string-attached lid.
- Petite/S: 3.5″ wide, 4″ tall for dogs up to 15 lbs.
- M: 5.75″ wide, 6.25″ tall for 15-75 lbs. dogs.
- L: 6.5″ wide, 9.6″ tall for dogs over 75 lbs.
- Plastic sealing lid with a stainless-steel securing chain.
Price: $$ to $$$ depending upon the size.
- Mug-shaped paw cleaner with a BPA and Phthalate-free ABS plastic mug, rubberized soft silicone opening and soft silicone cleaning bristles. Made in China.
- Features a wide-base, soft aperture-style opening with a mug-handle for secure operation. Comes with a sealing lid for no-spill, pre-filled carry.
- Simple to use – add warm water to the top row of bristles, dunk paw in Paw Plunger with an up and down motion and wipe dry. Discard dirty water after all 4 paws are clean.
- Easy to clean in running water. The bristles are removable for thorough cleaning. Can also be placed in the dishwasher but recommended to wash by hand only.
- Comes in three sizes suitable for all dog breeds. Available in three color combinations – pink, grey, and black.
- Backed by a one-year warranty against manufacturing defects and workmanship.
Type and material: Paw Cleaning Station with a BPA-free, ABS plastic, seal-bonded reservoir. In-built soft plastic brush paw cleaner.
- 11.8″ x 11.8″ x 3.5″, 2.4 lbs.
- 3.5″ wide, 2.25″ deep washer opening.
- 72 fl.oz. reservoir.
- Innovative paw cleaning station with a BPA-free ABS plastic construction and strong, reliable seal bonding for leak-proof operation. Made in the US.
- Features a patented design with separate built-in clean and dirty water reservoirs. Provides clean water for every wash with an easy “tilt-to-fill” and “tilt-to-empty” operation. Proven to remove 99.5% of bacteria & fungi when used with an antimicrobial soap.
- Has a 3.5″ wide and 2.25″ deep opening and soft-brush paw cleaner on the bottom. Comes in a single medium-size, suitable for small and medium dog breeds with up to 3.0″ wide paws. Cleans 4-8 paws in a single filling.
- Low profile allows the cleaning station to stay stable during paw cleaning operations.
- Because of the sealed design, the reservoir is not easy to clean. Run it with clean soapy water and drain to clean the interiors.
- Available a standard black and grey color combination and backed by a 30-day warranty against manufacturing defects and workmanship.
Type and material: Paw cleaning cup with a BPA-free plastic cup and securing ring and removable soft silicone grooming brush with bristles.
- S: 4.1″ x 2.9″ x 2.9″, 0.4 lbs.
- L: 6.0″ x 3.9″ x 3.9″, 0.8 lbs.
- XL: 8.6″ x 4.1″ x 4.1″, 1.1 lbs.
- The silicone bristle brush is removable for use as grooming brush.
- Nylon carrying wrist strap.
- Standard dog paw plunger with a BPA-free Polycarbonate plastic cup, securing ring and removable soft silicone cleaning brush with bristles. Made in China.
- The cleaning cup is available in three sizes with air-tight grooves to secure the cleaning brush. Provides quick and efficient cleaning by adding water and simply plunging and wiping paws once done.
- Comes in three sizes suitable for small to large dogs with up to 3.5″ wide paws.
- Multi-purpose – the silicone brush can be removed and used as a grooming brush for bathing or grooming the pet.
- Easy to clean for washing with soap and water. The plastic cup base is dishwasher-safe (in the top rack).
- Also includes a nylon wrist strap for easy transportation.
- Available a three color combinations and backed by a 30-day warranty against manufacturing defects and workmanship.
Type and material: Paw cleaning cup with chemically-inert silicone cup and removable soft silicone brush with bristles on the outside.
- 3.93″/4.92″ wide, 6.10″ tall, 5 oz.
- 7.87″ x 7.87″ microfiber drying cloth included.
- The silicone bristle brush is removable.
- Carabiner hole for attaching to a backpack.
- Innovative, 2-in-1 dog paw cleaner with a tapered, pet-safe silicone cleaning cup and removable soft silicone bristle brush. Made in China.
- The cleaning cup has a tapered design with a smaller 3.9″ cup top and wide 4.92″ bottom. A large opening and tall 6.1″ size makes it suitable for all dog breeds and cats too.
- The single-piece silicone brush provides thorough cleaning as the pet runs the paw through the cup. The cleaning brush is removable and can also be used for grooming. However, not fully air-tight.
- Easy to clean. Can be washed in running water with soap and water.
- Comes with a 7.9″ x 7.9″ soft microfiber pet cleaning towel as a bonus for wiping the paws dry. The cup also has a carabiner hole for easy transportation.
- Available in three color combinations and backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment.
Type and material: Waterless-shampoo paw cleaner with a BPA-free plastic container fitted with a detachable silicone bristle brush.
- 9.1″ x 2.5″ x 2.2″ bottle.
- 8 fl.oz content.
- 360-degree brush head.
- Shampoo Ingredients: Plant surfactant(lysine), Cocamide MEA, Laurinol, Plant high carbon cation conditioner, Terpolymer polymer conditioner, Silkworm conditioner, Metronidazole, citric acid and spices, Purified water.
- Portable waterless-shampoo dog paw cleaner with a 6.8 fl.oz. bottle fitted with a silicone brush. Made in China and meets the pet-friendly standard.
- The paw washer shampoo and conditioner is 100% non-toxic, hypo-allergenic and free from alcohol, harsh chemicals, and animal by-products. Has a gentle fresh-rose scent.
- Suitable for use for all dog breeds and cats too. However, it is not suitable for use as a body cleaner. Only use for paws.
- Supports rinse-free application with a 360-degree silicone brush. Simply apply on the paws, use the brush to spread evenly and wipe with a microfiber cloth or grooming wipe.
- The silicone brush is detachable for easy cleaning in running water. Can also be used without the shampoo for getting dry dirt-off the paws.
- Backed by a 30-day satisfaction guaranteed or money back commitment.
Type and material: Waterless-shampoo paw cleaner with a BPA-free plastic container fitted with a detachable silicone bristle brush with cap.
- 9.2″ x 2.4″ x 1.8″ bottle.
- 0 fl.oz content.
- 360-degree brush head.
- Shampoo Ingredients: Plant surfactant(lysine), Cocamide MEA, Laurinol, Plant high carbon cation conditioner, Terpolymer polymer conditioner, Silkworm conditioner, Metronidazole, citric acid and purified water as the base.
- Another waterless-shampoo dog paw cleaner with a 7.0 fl.oz. bottle fitted with a silicone brush with cap. Made in China.
- The paw washer shampoo and conditioner is 100% non-toxic, hypoallergenic and free from alcohol and harsh chemicals. Has a gentle fresh-rose scent. Suitable for all dog breeds, but only as a paw cleaner.
- Supports rinse-free application with a 360-degree rotating silicone brush. Simply apply on the paws, use the brush to scrub the paws and wipe with a microfiber cloth or grooming wipe.
- The silicone brush is detachable for easy cleaning in running water. Can also be used without the shampoo for getting dry dirt-off the paws.
- Slightly cheaper than other similar products. Backed by a 30-day satisfaction guaranteed or money back commitment. The manufacturer also offers 100% natural Petribe dog grooming wipes.
Type and material: Water-based paw cleanser with a BPA-free plastic bottle with application pump. Separate brush with a plastic handle and silicone bristles.
- 7.2″ x 2.0″ x 2.0″ bottle.
- 0 fl.oz content.
- Separate brush with a plastic handle and silicone bristles.
- Cleanser Ingredients: Aloe Vera Extract, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Ethylene Glycol Monostearate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Lauramide DEA, Propylene Glycol, 0.7% p-chloro-m-Xylenol, Lanolin, Fragrance, PCMX, Parachlorometaxylenol.
- Premium water-based sanitizing paw wash cleanser with an 8 fl.oz plastic bottle with application pump and a separate cleaning silicone-bristle brush. Made in the US by the popular pet grooming supplies manufacturer.
- A high-quality formulation that provides deep cleaning with antioxidants and Aloe Vera to keep paws and coats moisturized and healthy. Naturally anti-microbial and removes germs, fungus, bacteria, and yeast.
- Comes with a separate scrubbing brush with plastic handle for easy application. Suitable for cleaning paws and nails for all dog breeds, cats and horses.
- Easy application by applying a small amount on the hand, scrub brush or towel and wiping the paws after a few seconds. Works best when used with a small amount of warm water.
- Backed by a 30-day hassle-free exchange policy.
Additional options for cleaning dirty dog paws
Dog paw cleaners are not the only products that can help you clean your dog’s paws and keep the dirt and mud off.
You can carry a few dog cleaning and grooming wipes and use them to wipe the grime and dirt off the pet’s paws. Some of the best pet grooming wipes to check out are listed below:
- Pogi’s Pet Grooming Wipes: Best-selling dog grooming wipes made of biodegradable and hypoallergenic Aloe Vera and Vitamin E-infused bamboo fiber. Extra-large size 8″ x 9″ suitable for all dog breeds. Available in unscented and Green Tea Leaf Scented version and package sizes of 100 or 120 wipes.
- Earth Rated Dog Wipes: Another popular dog grooming wipes made of USDA-certified 99 percent bio-based products. Available in a large 8″ x 8″ size and both unscented and Lavender-Scented versions. Come in a pack size of 100 wipes.
- John Paul Pet Body and Paw Pet Wipes: Premium US-made pet cleaning and grooming wipes made of natural Aloe, Orange Oil, and Lanolin-infused human-grade fiber base. Available in a medium-size of 7″ x 7″ and available in a dispenser with 45 wipes each.
Another option is to use a pet cleaning and grooming glove. Some of the best pet cleaning gloves that can be effective and efficient in cleaning your canine’s paws are:
- Spotless Paw Cleaning and Grooming Glove: Award-winning six-finger dog paw cleaning glove made of high-quality microfiber that can hold 6X times its weight in dirt, mud, and water. Can be worn in either hand. Machine washable and comes with a buckle loop for convenient hanging after use.
- Hertzko Pet Towel Gloves: High-quality pair of microfiber pet drying towel gloves, made of soft and quick-drying microfiber blend. Capable of absorbing 7X the weight in water. Comes with elastic wristbands to secure in hands of any size. Measure 11″ x 8.0″ and are machine washable.
- Clean Paws Chenille Microfiber Dog Towel Mitt: Durable pet cleaning mitt by Ethical Pets. Made of super-absorbent Chenille Microfiber that can absorb 10X its weight and dry quickly. Measures 9.5″ x 7″ and is machine washable.
How to pick the best dog paw cleaner or paw washer?
With so many different dog paw cleaners and paw washers available in the market, picking the best dog paw cleaner for your pooch can be a challenge. After all, you need a paw cleaner that feels soft and comfortable on the pet’s paws gets the mud, and dirt off quickly and efficiently.
Before picking the best dog paw washer or cleaner, you need to look at the following major factors:
- Type of dog paw cleaner
- Building material and/or formulation
- Cleaning capabilities
- Size and portability
- Ease of maintenance
- Additional factors and considerations
Type of dog paw cleaner
Before you pick the best dog paw cleaner or washer for your pet, you need to consider which type of paw washer you should opt for.
As discussed above, you have three broad options to choose from.
The paw cleaning cups, or paw plungers as they are often called, are the most convenient and popular type of paw cleaners in the market. They are lightweight, portable and convenient to use. Some of them even come with a lid to allow you to pre-fill them with soapy water. Even among them, you can select a brush-type cup such as the Dexas MudBuster Portable Dog Paw Cleaner which rely on soft silicone bristles to get the dirt and grime off the paws or a brushless option such as the Wild Heart Brushless Dog Paw Wash which relies on hydraulics to have the flow of water remove the grime.
Paw cleaning stations like the Ski Innovations Paw Boss Wash for Dogs are bigger and larger and hence only suitable for domestic use. You can have such a station set up just outside your pet’s primary entrance/exit door.
If you are looking for a more thorough paw cleaner that can not only wash your doggo’s paws thoroughly but also moisturize it, then shampoo-based paw cleaners are the best bet. They are perfect for occasional cleaning the pet’s paws after an outdoor excursion (We do not encourage daily use as that may actually soften the pet’s paws). You can opt for a waterless option like the Pupmate Paw Cleaner with Waterless Shampoo or a water-based shampoo paw cleaner like the Warren London Paw Sani-Scrub Cleanser.
In summary, depending upon your primary needs and requirements, you can decide on the type of paw cleaner you would like to opt for.
Building material and/or formulation
The building material of the pet cleaner is an important factor as it governs the comfort, drying capabilities and durability of the cleaner. Why else do you think there is so much variation in the price of these dog paw washers?
Most dog paw washer cups feature a BPA-free ABS/Polycarbonate plastic cup or reservoir with a single-piece or bunch of soft silicone brush with bristles on the outside or inside of the brush. The brush is secured in the cup by a leak-proof plastic locking lid or cap.
This silicone brush is removable and can be washed separately in running water. Some paw cleaning cups even have a plastic lid to seal the cup and handles to hold while cleaning.
In order to make it convenient and comfortable for the pet to get the paw in the cleaning cup and ensure that the pet does not mind the up-and-down movement while rinsing, many paw washers have an aperture-style opening with rubberized silicone flaps.
Among shampoo-based paw cleaners, most of them come with a cleaning brush head attached to the shampoo bottle, though some of them such as the Warren London Paw Sani-Scrub Cleanser have it separate. For such paw cleaners, it is also important to check the formulation of the shampoo to ensure that it is hypoallergenic and safe for all pets – with or without the furry feet. All the options that we have listed meet this criterion, but you can always ensure that there is no allergic reaction by applying a small amount to start with.
In terms of the build-quality, our top picks – Dexas MudBuster Portable Dog Paw Cleaner and Wild Heart Brushless Dog Paw Wash have probably the best build quality and hence are our top recommendations.
Check out the building material before picking the best dog paw washer for your pooch. If in doubt, pick one of our top choices, as we have listed only the most well-built and durable dog paw cleaners and washers in the market.
Most paw cleaners (at least the non-shampoo paw cleaners) follow the standard dip, dunk, and dry process. Shampoo-based cleaners rely on applying the cleanser on the pet’s paws, rinsing with the brush and wiping the paw dry.
While most paw cleaners follow one of the above mechanisms to clean the paws, not all products are made equal and some paw cleaners and washers do a better job at cleaning and also making this activity reasonably comfortable to the pet and convenient for you.
This can be because of their unique designs, aperture-style soft entrance, alignment of soft silicone bristles, size of the washing cup, formulation of the cleaning shampoo and so on.
Of the options we listed, our top picks – Dexas MudBuster Portable Dog Paw Cleaner and Wild Heart Brushless Dog Paw Wash offer the best cleaning capabilities and comfortable operation, and hence are our favorites.
Check all these features before picking the best paw cleaner for your needs. You can generally get this information from the specifications, reviews or Q&A section of the product.
Size and portability
Once you have finalized the type and model of the dog paw cleaner, you would need to pick the paw cleaner of the right size, especially if you are looking for a paw cleaning cup or plunger.
An inappropriately-sized dog paw cleaner can be uncomfortable to the canine and make paw washing less efficient and ineffective.
Thankfully, these manufacturers offer dog paw cleaning charts and advice on how to size your dog’s paws to pick the right size. Just make sure you follow the instructions to the fullest and cut your canine’s nails before sizing up the paw.
Furthermore, since there can often be a considerable difference between the size of the front and rear paws, you are better-off by sizing each set of paws separately, as you may have to opt for a paw cleaner for the biggest paw size.
Check the size (width and length) of your dog’s paws before picking the best dog boots for your pet. If you end up with an in-between size, size-up. You can generally get a lot of information regarding sizing from the product details and the manufacturer’s website.
Closely related with the size of the paw cleaner is its portability. Look at the overall size of the cleaning cup before picking the best option. Moreover, look for features such as lids to allow pre-filling of the cleaning cups and availability of the carabiner holes and carry straps for easy portability.
Ease of maintenance
Since a dog paw cleaner will invariably get dirty, it is important to pick a model that is easy to clean and maintain. All the dog paw washer options that we have listed (except for the waterless-shampoo based cleaners) have removable lids and brushes which can be washed in the dishwasher (top-rack only) or running water, making them reasonably easy to clean.
We recommend that you wash the pet paw washers only in running water or separately from other utensils to prevent any transfer of pet hair.
The only exception to this is the Ski Innovations Paw Boss Wash for Dogs which has a sealed reservoir and you cannot dismantle it for thorough cleaning.
Check the cleaning and maintenance requirements of the dog paw cleaner before picking the best option.
Additional factors and considerations
In addition to the major factors discussed above, there are some other miscellaneous considerations that can make a particular dog paw cleaner a preferable option over other options in the market.
The color combinations and design patterns in which a paw cleaner is available is also something you might want to look at, though it would not affect the functioning of the paw cleaner. While most dog paw washers and cleaners are available in a one or two color combinations, there are some products such as the best-selling Dexas MudBuster Portable Dog Paw Cleaner that are available in three or more color combinations, making them attractive choices.
Finally, one of the most important additional considerations is the warranty and after-sales support offered on the pet paw cleaner by the manufacturer. Most of the options that we listed are backed by excellent satisfaction guaranteed commitments and 30-day to one-year warranties, so you can pick them without concerning about the durability and reliability of the product. Just make sure you make your purchase directly from the manufacturers and authorized resellers to ensure that you get the genuine product and not a knock-off.
You can look at all these additional factors to determine if they make a specific dog paw cleaner a more attractive choice.
Final thoughts on the best dog paw cleaners and paw washers
Keeping your floor and house clean can be a chore for you if you have a pet. And if you have an indoor-outdoor dog with free access to the backyard or garden through a doggie door, then the task becomes increasingly difficult.
Surely, wiping your dog’s paws with a towel or teaching the pet to use a dog doormat can help, but what if you are looking for a more convenient solution for thorough cleaning.
A portable dog paw cleaner or washer is exactly the product that you need. Dog paw cleaners provide an effective mechanism to clean your pet’s paws thoroughly and efficiently. And they are extremely portable to be suitable for outdoor excursions and travel. But picking the right dog paw cleaner or washer is important.
In this article, we listed some of the best dog paw cleaners and paw washers available in the market. We looked at the major characteristics of these special products, the advantages of using them, the factors to consider before picking the best dog paw cleaner and also shared our top picks.
We hope that you found this article useful and it would help you in picking the best dog paw cleaner or paw washer as per your requirements and preferences. Do let us know your feedback and questions by commenting below. Until next time, have a playful time with your Fido!
Image credits: Amazon.com