Some dogs just love playing fetch with frisbees. The internet is filled with images of dogs acrobatically catching these discs in the air. So obviously, flying discs provide an excellent workout to your canine companion. And they are a lot of fun for the dog owners too; at least more fun than the proverbial ball throw-and-fetch.
But which flying discs are the best for your dog? Which ones are designed to fly seamlessly and survive the wear and tear of your dog’s teeth?
In this article, we look at some of the best dog frisbees (also known as flying discs or training discs available in the market. We would primarily focus on soft dog frisbees and not on competition-grade professional dog frisbees, though we would list out some of the most popular ones. We will also look at some of the factors to consider while picking the best one for your pet and also summarize some of the things to remember while using them as a play toy for your furry friend.
Do not forget to check out our article on the best ball launchers for another excellent toy for entertaining outdoor play with your dog.
Best dog frisbees listSome of the best dog frisbees available in the market are listed below:
|West Paw Zogoflex Zisc Flying Disc||S: 6.5”|
|- High-quality, extremely durable, made in the US frisbee manufactured from FDA-compliant, BPA, Phthalate-free soft plastic.|
- High, long distance flying because of plastic construction. Still lightweight and floatable.
- Fully recyclable and dishwasher safe (top shelf only).
- Comes in four vibrant colors - Aqua, Glow, Tangerine and Fluorescent Green.
- Features a 100% guarantee against dog damage and backed by the manufacturer through a one-time replacement policy.
|Kong Flyer Dog Toy||S: 7.0”|
|- Most popular, US-Made flying disc made with natural, non-toxic and durable rubber.|
- Soft rubber construction means it does not harm dog‘s teeth and gums.
- The rim has grooves that provide easy grip to the thrower.
- Comes in two colors - the traditional Kong Red and Black.
- Backed by a 30-day satisfaction guarantee.
|ChuckIt! Paraflight||S: 6.5”|
|- A smartly-designed, light-play disc made with a 2100D polyester surface with photo-luminescent rubber rim that glows in dark.|
- Once charged under bright flashlight for 5-10 minutes, the disc continues to glow for 20-30 minutes. Excellent for late-night and early-morning play.
- Ergonomic design, that pushes the disc down gradually during flight. Floats on water.
- Available in two twin-color combinations - Blue/Orange and Max Glow.
- Can be shipped to select countries outside the US.
|Aerobie Dogobie Dog Disc||8.0”||- Made in the US, highly durable, soft rubber disc that is designed to fly for long distances. Puncture and tear resistant. One of the most durable dog frisbee out there. |
- Suitable for dry/land play. Can fly up to 80-90 feet. However, does not float.
- Comes in blue and yellow color, two colors most easily identified by dogs.
|Hyper Pet Flippy Flopper||9.0”||- An ultralight, flopper made with high-quality nylon surface with a pet-safe foam rubber. Weighs only 3 ounces.|
- Designed to fly for a long distance and float on water. The disc is designed to hover down slowly during flight.
- Perfect for gentle and average chewers, though prolonged use may cause the disc to bend a little. Still, flies decently even when bent.
- Available in 7 vibrant color combinations.
|Booda Tail-Spin Flyer||S: 7"|
|- Interactive, lightweight and flexible floppy disc made with high-quality nylon surface with a flexible soft rubber rim.|
- Designed to fly in the air or float on water.
- Extremely gentle on pet's teeth and gums. Perfect for gentle and average chewers
- Can double-up as a water dish for hydrating your pet when on the move.
- Available in the standard red/green vibrant color combination.
- Can be shipped to selected countries outside of the US.
|ChuckIt! Flying Squirrel||S: 9"x9"|
|- Uniquely designed flying disc with an aerodynamic shape that looks like a squirrel.|
- Features at 2100D water-proof polyester surface with soft-plastic paws. The paws are designed to glow in dark.
- Designed to fly in the air or float on water. Has raised sides for easy pickup and throw.
- Prolonged chewing and tugging can cause the disc to lose its shape.
|Nerf Dog Flying Disc||9.0”||- Standard, ultralight floppy/flopper disc made with high-grade, tear resistant nylon with fabric threading. Weighs only 2.1 ounces.|
- Designed to fly in the air and float in water.
- Perfect for gentle and average chewer dogs. The tear-resistant coating on the disc provides durability.
- Because of lighter weight, may not work well on very windy days.
- Available in five single and dual-color combinations
|Ruffwear HoverCraft Flying Disc||S: 6.0”|
|- High-end frisbee with a molded foam core and a tear-resistant, waterproof fabric exterior. Tough but still gentle on dog's teeth and gums. Costlier and heavier than most other frisbees.|
- Features a raised, reflective trim that works well even in low-light conditions. Can also act as a water dish for dogs.
- Designed for long-distance throws. Also, floats on water.
- When used as a flying disc, can last for years.
- Can be hand-washed (use mild detergent and air-dry).
|StarMark Easy Glider||M: 9”|
|- High-quality, floppy flying disc made with patented dura-foam material that is soft, yet durable and puncture/tear resistant.|
- Easy to throw, even for beginner throwers.
- Designed to fly for a long distance. Works best in less windy situations. Also, floats on water.
- Comes in three colors - purple, yellow or blue. However, any available color is shipped (no choice of colors).
- The disc comes with a free training guide.
Is playing with a frisbee or a flying disc suitable for my dog?
Flying disc or frisbee catch is a great sport for dogs. However, just like humans who love the sport, your dog requires a lot of stamina to enjoy the fly-and-catch. Some breeds of dogs are better suited for being frisbee dogs than others, because of their genetics and more active lifestyle.
Some of the most popular breeds that are considered suitable for this sport are:
- Border Collie
- Golden Retriever
- Australian Shepherd and Cattle dogs
- Rat Terriers
- Belgian Malinois
In addition to the dog breeds, you should also look at the chewing habits of your dog before determining whether a frisbee is a suitable toy for your pet. Almost all frisbees work well for gentle and average chewers. However, for aggressive and power chewers, cheaper models would get torn apart quickly. In any case, frisbees are not chew-toys and you should avoid leaving your pet unattended with it to avoid accidental ingestion.
Moreover, dogs with a weight of fewer than 60-70 pounds are best suited for the full acrobatics associated with frisbee play. Heavier dogs can also partake simple throw-and-fetch, but catching in air and landing on all four may lead to additional strain on their joints. So, check with a vet if such games are suitable for your furry friend
How to pick the best frisbees or flying discs for your dog?
With so many options available in the market with so many variations, picking the best frisbees/flying disc can be a challenging task. Nothing to worry! In our list, we have listed out only the best, most durable options available in the market.
If you want to look for a frisbee for your beloved furry friend, you can consider the following major factors before picking the best options for your needs:
- Construction material of the disc
- Design and looks of the disc
- Size and weight of the disc
- Additional features and considerations
Construction Material of the disc
The construction material of the frisbee is one of the most important factors to consider. Flying discs or Frisbees are generally made of soft-plastic, natural rubber, fabric with rubber rim or proprietary foam type material.
Hard-body flying discs are ones that do not bend in your hands. Hard flying discs are generally made of food grade plastic with molded rims for an easy catch. Such discs are heavier and capable of covering longer distances. They also work well even in windy conditions. However, you must be careful and ensure that the disc does not harm your dog’s teeth and face. Moreover, such discs do not float well and hence are not suitable for pool or lake play. Unless your pet is an expert in catching discs and you are looking for serious frisbee play, you need not opt for such a disc to start with.
Soft flying discs, on the other hand, do not travel a great distance, but they are very gentle on your dog’s gums and teeth. They are also better floaters and work well on water surfaces. Soft flying discs are made of soft rubber, EVA foam or fabric with a rubber rim and are coated with tear and puncture resistant coatings to make them last longer.
Consider opting for a soft rubber or fabric flying disc for recreational play. You can then graduate to a better quality professional dog frisbee such as the Hyperflite Jawz Disc once your dog is comfortable with frisbee play.
Design and looks of the disc
In addition to the construction material, the design of the frisbee also governs the suitability of the frisbee/disc.
Rigid shaped discs such as the West Paw Zogoflex Zisc Flying Disc are durable but still light enough for most dog breeds. They are also designed to travel longer than other discs.
Flopper discs with a fabric body and rubber rim are the easiest ones to throw and water play. However, they are also most prone to lose shape. As an example, the ChuckIt! Paraflight is one of the best floppy flyers that is reasonably sturdy and flies well. ChuckIt! also, has a unique Squirrel-shaped disc that is also popular. Still, in our view the standard, circular rim discs are most suitable for you and your dogs.
In addition to the disc surface, the rim design is also important. Raised/Elevated rims or discs with grooves around the rim are easier for the thrower and dog both. Moreover, elevated sides mean that you can also use the disc as a water dish for your dog while on the go.
Closely related to the design of the disc are the looks and color combinations of the disc. Vibrant, bright colored discs are easier for your dog to spot in late evenings and early mornings, while dark shades such as purple and black may be difficult to spot. The ChuckIt! Paraflight even has a photo-luminescent rubber rim that glows in dark once “charged” with a flashlight. Consider opting for bright colors – blue, yellow, fluorescent green, red etc. to make it easier for you and your dog to locate it.
Size and weight of the disc
The dog’s breed, its size, and its weight govern the size and weight of the flying disc you should opt for. 6 to 7-inch diameter discs are most suitable for small dogs weighing around 25-35 lbs. Larger discs with a diameter ranging from 8 to 9 inch would be suitable for medium-sized dogs, while discs with a diameter of 11 inches or more would be most suitable for a large-sized pet weighing 65 lbs. or more.
This information is also summarized in the table below:
|Dog Weight||Frisbee/Flying disc diameter|
|25 – 35 lbs.||6-7 inches|
|36 – 65 lbs.||8-9 inches|
|65+ lbs.||9 -11+ inches|
You can check out the reviews and FAQ on the specific model to decide which size of the disc would suit your pet. This is one of the most commonly asked questions by purchasers and there are high chances that someone has already addressed this question beforehand. You can also check with professional trainers or manufacturers on the best size to opt for before choosing an option.
Additional features and considerations
In addition to the major factors discussed above, there are a couple of other considerations that can make a purchase more attractive than others.
One such factor is the how easy it to clean your disc. Hard plastic discs are dishwasher safe (on the top shelf only) but the soft disc options that we have listed here are best suited for mild, hand wash. You may use soap or a very mild detergent to remove any stains. Only the West Paw Zogoflex Zisc is dishwasher safe.
Another important factor to check out is the warranty and service support provided by the manufacturer. Almost all the options that we listed support the 30-day satisfaction guarantee service. Popular manufacturers such as Kong, Ruffwear, and ChuckIt! also have a strong customer service support that would help in addressing any issues that you might have with your purchase. The West Paw Zogoflex Zisc scores big in this category. The Zisc frisbee is 100% guaranteed against dog damage by the manufacturer and backed by a one-time replacement policy. So, you can get a one-time replacement in case your original disc gets damaged.
Keep these other small considerations in mind while picking the best dog frisbees or flying discs for your pooch.
Which are the best dog frisbees/flying discs for your dogs and what our picks are?
The West Paw Design Zogoflex Zisc Frisbee combines the long-distance flight capability and durability of hard-body discs with the flexibility and lighter weight of soft discs. This highly rated throwing disc has been field tested by many owners of average and aggressive chewer dogs and has always come out on the top.
The Zisc is made in the US with FDA-compliant, non-toxic, BPA and Phthalate-free soft plastic. It is available in two sizes – small with a diameter of 6.5 inches and large with a diameter of 8.5 inches. Moreover, the disc is dishwasher safe and can be cleaned by placing it on the top shelf. What’s more, the Zisc is manufactured from recycled materials and is fully recyclable.
Though the Zisc is made of plastic, this proprietary material is still very gentle on pet’s teeth and gums. It flies pretty far and is designed to last, even if your dog likes to play tug-of-war with you. The Zisc is floatable, making it perfect for Frisbee games in grass, snow or water.
The disc comes in four vibrant colors – Aqua, Glow, Tangerine and Fluorescent Green, so you can pick the most suitable color as per the personality of your dog.
One of the best parts of getting a Zisc is that it features a 100% guarantee against dog damage and is backed by the manufacturer through a one-time replacement policy. So if the flying disc gets damaged by your dog, you can get it replaced once without having to pay anything. That is pretty cool!
If you are looking for a durable dog frisbee that can fly a long distance and still be reasonably soft on your canine’s gums and teeth, then you should definitely consider getting the Zisc dog frisbee.
It may be costlier than other discs, but is worth every penny!
The Kong flyer is manufactured in the US with a non-toxic all-natural body. Full rubber body means that is flexible and does not become brittle over time like plastic and fabric discs. And rubber body means it is extremely gentle on your canine’s teeth and gums. It is reasonably durable as well and can withstand some abuse by gentle and mild chewers.
The Kong Flyer is available in two sizes – small with a 7-inch diameter and large with a 9-inch diameter. Because of the natural rubber surface, it is available in only two colors – red and black, with the red being the standard color for an evening or early morning play.
The Flyer floats well in the air, even in slightly windy conditions. Moreover, it has grooves on the rim to provide an easy grip to the thrower. It, however, does not float well in water and can sink because of its weight.
Each Kong flyer is backed by a 30-day, hassle-free satisfaction guarantee.
Fabric dog frisbees or discs are perfect beginner discs for small dogs and adult gentle chewers. If you are one of those lucky pet owners and are looking for a soft cloth dog frisbee, then you can check out the ChuckIt! Paraflight fabric dog frisbee.
The ChuckIt! Paraflight is a smartly-designed dog flying disc which features a 2100D polyester fabric surface and a photo-luminescent rubberized rim. The fabric body means that the disc is very soft on the dog’s gums and teeth and would not hurt it, even if there is an accidental face-crash.
The photo-luminescent rim can be charged under bright flashlight. A 5-10 minute exposure can allow it to glow for 20-30 minutes. This makes it excellent for late-night and early-morning play. And if you want a better illumination, pick the Max Glow color combination which has a glowing surface as well.
The Paraflight is available in two different sizes – 6.5-inch diameter small and 9.7-inch large. The small size is suitable for dogs weighing up to 20 lbs., while the large disc is suitable for larger dog breeds. It is available in two colors – the ChuckIt! standard blue/orange and the Max Glow green.
When it comes to flying performance, the ChuckIt! Paraflight performs reasonably well, though it does not fly as far as the Zogoflex. A normal toss can reach anywhere from 30-50 feet. But the best part is that the ergonomic design provides excellent hang time and the disc hovers down slowly at the end of the flight, making it easier for the beginner canines to catch it.
What’s more, the Paraflight floats on water, so you can use it for playing catch with your dog around the beach or a lake.
Things to remember when playing with a frisbee with your dog
There are some things to remember while engaging in frisbee or flying disc games with your pet. These major factors to keep in mind are listed below:
- Always consult your vet before beginning training for the frisbee play. Your vet is the best person to evaluate the physical conditioning of your dog and suggest whether this sport is suitable for your pet.
- Always get a soft-fabric or plastic frisbee to start with. Such a toy would be gentle on your dog’s teeth and gums.
- Remember that the frisbee/flying disc is not a chewing or tugging toy. So, do not leave your dog unattended with it to prevent accidental fabric ingestion.
- Ensure that your pet is already trained to follow the basic commands. After all, you do not want your dog to get the frisbee and wander off. If you are looking for some training guides, check out some beginner dog training books available in the market.
- Start slow and be patient while training your pet to play fly-fetch with you. Start in an enclosed space such as indoors and yard to start with. Use positive reinforcement techniques. You can also consult some trainers and disc players on their experiences about training the dog for disc play.
- Always engage in frisbee play in wide spaces or dog parks where there is enough space for you and your dog to play around without bothering others.
Following these basic guidelines would help in making frisbee-play more enjoyable for you and your beloved canine companion. For more suggestions and advice, check out the article on petmd.com site. In addition, check out the video below for some basic tips on how you can train your dog to play frisbee:
Best dog frisbees and flying discs for competitions
As mentioned above, the options that we listed are primarily meant for beginner recreational flying disc play with your canine. However, if you feel you and your dog are ready for some real competitive frisbee toss-and-fetch competitions or is ready to fetch a disc launched to as far as 100+ feet, then you would need some competition-grade professional dog frisbees. While popular competitions such as Skyhoundz only allow Hyperflite flying discs, some other contests permit you to pick your own preferred brand. Some of the best dog frisbees and flying discs to consider are listed below:
- Hyperflite Jaws Canine Competition Disc: The worldwide standard, best-selling virtually indestructible dog frisbee, made of soft plastic.. The standard model weighs 5.1 ounces (145 grams) and is about 8.75-inches in diameter. Available in multiple vibrant colors. Made in the US.
- Hero Disc USA SuperHero Dog Disc: Another made in the US, indestructible dog frisbee, made with competition quality, BPA-free plastic. Weighs 4.9 ounces (145 grams) and is about 9.25-inches in diameter.
- Whamo Fastback Eurablend Dog Frisbee: Heavy-duty, durable plastic professional dog frisbee that is more popular in UK and other European countries. Weighs about 5.3 ounces and is 9-inch in diameter.
Final thoughts on the best dog frisbees for your pet
Flying disc or frisbee play is one of the most enjoyable outdoor activity for dog lovers. You can find local dog parks filled with canine acrobats catching the discs and absorbing accolades of their audience.
In this article, we looked at some of the best dog frisbees and flying discs available in the market. We primarily looked at discs which are soft enough for your beloved pet’s teeth and gums, but still durable to last the wear-and-tear. Of course, some models would last longer than others. We also shared our top picks and looked at the major factors to consider while picking the best frisbee for your dog.
We hope that you found this article useful and it would help you in picking the best dog frisbee as per your and your pet’s requirements and preference. Do let us know your feedback and questions by commenting below.